O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

raven

That is what I was thinking too. In today's corporate society, return on investment in a BIG thing. Using the technology in house in one thing, but the potential to sell this technology to others, making lots of money on top of what it will increase Disney's own earnings from parks and merchandise, will really improve the bottom line and make the stockholders very happy.

You are correct. Disney has been patenting nearly every idea (even if nothing comes of it) ever since the loss of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. They definately know the price of forgetting that step. :animwink:

WishIwasThere

The possibilities for this technology is abundant. Otis elevator already uses similar technology. As you enter some buildings to go to work, the new Seven World Trade Center in NY is one. You go through turnstiles that recognizes who you are and where you work. It then determines which elevator in the bank is closest to the lobby and will get you your floor the quickest. The turnstile then tells you which elevator to go to and boom...you are on your way.

I don't know what all the hubbub is about.:shrug: Santa Claus has been keeping tabs on kids for hundreds of years and no one claims privacy issues there.

Last I knew, WDW is private property, so if they want to keep track of their guests...its their decision. You want privacy and to be left alone...stay home.:drevil:

WDW1974

First of all, this is a global initiative ... although how global remains to be seen.

But this is the operational management chart for NEXT GEN:

Jim MacPhee, Vice President, Next Generation Experience and Walt Disney World Parks Operations, also responsible to Meg Crofton, President Walt Disney World Resort, to lead the operations integration component of this work
• John Padgett, Vice President, Experience Development
• Kevin Rice, Vice President, Interactive Product Development, also responsible to Bruce Vaughn, Executive Vice President and Chief Creative Officer
• Andy Schwalb, Senior Vice President, Strategic IT Services, also responsible to Stephanie Young, Senior Vice President, Global Business Technology Strategy
• Mike Gomes, Vice President, Imaging, also responsible to Michael O'Grattan, Senior Vice President, Entertainment and Imaging
• Brian Besanceney, Vice President, Public Affairs, also responsible to Leslie Goodman, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Public Affairs

WDW1974

Other points raised (and I just spent an hour discussing this with a Disney 'pal' who is a bit more excited about the prospects than I am) about this have already been hit on.

But RFID has been used in costuming at WDW now (consider that a first step) to control and keep better tabs on items/inventory.

Kim Possible is just a beta-test for what RFID can (and likely will) be used for in the parks.

Imagine say riding the Seas and Nemo or Dory or Marlin talk to YOU! ... or Peter Pan invites YOU to go to Neverland ... or you walk by a window display at a shop and suddenly your chip triggers something ... or based on prior visits, Fastpasses are waiting for you when you arrive at your resort ... or your wake up call comes from some character that is a favorite of yours, but most folks haven't heard from ... see where this is going?

Figment632

Other points raised (and I just spent an hour discussing this with a Disney 'pal' who is a bit more excited about the prospects than I am) about this have already been hit on.

But RFID has been used in costuming at WDW now (consider that a first step) to control and keep better tabs on items/inventory.

Kim Possible is just a beta-test for what RFID can (and likely will) be used for in the parks.

Imagine say riding the Seas and Nemo or Dory or Marlin talk to YOU! ... or Peter Pan invites YOU to go to Neverland ... or you walk by a window display at a shop and suddenly your chip triggers something ... or based on prior visits, Fastpasses are waiting for you when you arrive at your resort ... or your wake up call comes from some character that is a favorite of yours, but most folks haven't heard from ... see where this is going?

KInd of like ET at Uni but it would already know the info?

jt04

You were mocking these type ideas yesterday. :shrug:

Post #14 this thread.

Have they activated your implant? :lol:

SirGoofy

See that would be awesome.

Imagine say riding the Seas and Nemo or Dory or Marlin talk to YOU! ... or Peter Pan invites YOU to go to Neverland

But that is so lame i can't even begin to describe it.:rolleyes:

... or you walk by a window display at a shop and suddenly your chip triggers something ... or based on prior visits, Fastpasses are waiting for you when you arrive at your resort

Interesting.

WDW1974

As near as I can tell the $1.5 billion figure tossed out to the media (and fanbois) isn't being entirely honest. ... It includes mostly infrastructure and things over many years ... from things already happening that don't impact guests really (like CM costuming) to the cost inherent in changing every room lock on property and installing new turnstyles etc.

But largely, this is designed to take you away from your money. By using cashless tech, guests will spend more. It's always easier to put $2,343 on a chip than to pay with cash or reach for your Visa or Am Ex. You'll wind up spending more and Disney knows this.

While this program is designed to completely overhaul the way a guest vacations at WDW, you need to look at this as simply taking Destination Disney (which brought you everything from Pal Mickey to Magic Your Way Tix to DDP to DME etc) to a new level and one that adds more personalization than was ever possible before due to the tech.

But yes, it has some major drawbacks as far as Disney's ability to create an incredible database of information on its guests ... and you better believe there are some huge privacy issues/concerns (of course, 78% of people supposedly have no issues being virtual strip-searched to get on a plane ... so I likely know what the typical MAGICal response will be here).

Disney will in fact be tracking you through its parks. Again, some fanbois may think this is uber-kewl if they walk by a mirror and suddenly their Fairy Godmother (or CM Bradley) appears on the other side calling to them.

I'm not sold.

Technology can be very cool ... but without the layered storytelling and the immersion, all it does is leave me cold.

But we'll see ... because this isn't like a new attraction where you see it being built ... maybe that's ultimately why I'm cynical about this.

That and I see far more upside for The Mouse than his guests.

IWant2GoNow

The only thing I worry about with RFID tech in rides and such is making it sound seemless and not mispronouncing any names. To me if not done correctly it could actually make a ride worse. It would make it seem too robotic to me. However I guess if it was done correctly and could recognize a majority of common foreign names as well it might be alright. All in all I would hope they leave names and things out of the rides. If they don't, oh well, it's not going to get me to stop going, but it would almost take some of the magic away for me. IMO

WDW1974

You were mocking these type ideas yesterday. :shrug:

Post #14 this thread.

Have they activated your implant? :lol:

JT ... I wasn't mocking them. I was simply stating that they would be a part of the implementation of the tech. I haven't changed my stance at all.

Do we have an online hardon smiley? No ... can wenevermindthiswillneverlast ... Mom doesn't even like body hair!

jt04

JT ... I wasn't mocking them. I was simply stating that they would be a part of the implementation of the tech. I haven't changed my stance at all.

Do we have an online hardon smiley? No ... can wenevermindthiswillneverlast ... Mom doesn't even like body hair!

Well I'll do the mocking then. :drevil:

Although this doesn't sound like praise exactly.....

"I'd much rather see a billion put into EPCOT or any of the park then be able to do cashless transactions with a chip, have Disney know who my favorite character is and have Sebastian talk to me 'under the sea' ...

But gotta run ..." --WDW74

jt04

The only thing I worry about with RFID tech in rides and such is making it sound seemless and not mispronouncing any names. To me if not done correctly it could actually make a ride worse. It would make it seem too robotic to me. However I guess if it was done correctly and could recognize a majority of common foreign names as well it might be alright. All in all I would hope they leave names and things out of the rides. If they don't, oh well, it's not going to get me to stop going, but it would almost take some of the magic away for me. IMO

I agree, like somebody talking in the movie theater. But maybe I'm being too cynical. :shrug:

WDW1974

Well I'll do the mocking then. :drevil:

Although this doesn't sound like praise exactly.....

"I'd much rather see a billion put into EPCOT or any of the park then be able to do cashless transactions with a chip, have Disney know who my favorite character is and have Sebastian talk to me 'under the sea' ...

But gotta run ..." --WDW74

No, JT, is isn't praise ... or mocking. It's simply me stating an opinion. ... But until I know more, I am not jumping to any conclusions, good, bad or otherwise because I don't even know how I feel.

Now ... be a good little fanboi and go get a Marvel comic and some lotion!:eek::ROFLOL::drevil:

jt04

No, JT, is isn't praise ... or mocking. It's simply me stating an opinion. ... But until I know more, I am not jumping to any conclusions, good, bad or otherwise because I don't even know how I feel.

Now ... be a good little fanboi and go get a Marvel comic and some lotion!:eek::ROFLOL::drevil:

Your projecting again I see. Or fantasizing. :eek:

I already have made up my mind about this little project of the mouse house. It won't play with the masses, not to mention employees being tracked with it. Seriously, why does everything from merchandise to employee costumes (presumably even while being worn) need to be electronically tracked. Unless it's employees need to be tracked. :eek: Why don't they just cut to the chase and make them wear ankle bracelets. Explain to everyone who is not familiar with them how yours works. :wave:

Kidding, we jest. :lol:

RSoxNo1

I think those people that are looking at this as E.T. redux are looking at this from a very simplified approach. I hardly believe that Disney is setting the expectations that low for this type of project.

I have yet to experience the Kim Possible World Showcase adventure, but I've heard great things. I've also heard that Universal will be using similar components in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter where you can purchase wands that interface with your surroundings.

Now if we're to believe Jim Hill, this "RFID" project is going to be a premium add on to tickets, and that may be how they get around those people that are pre-occupied with Disney spying on them.

I'm optimistic - Typically when Disney spends $1.5 billion on a project it yields some positive results.

MousDad

First of all, this is a global initiative ... although how global remains to be seen.

But this is the operational management chart for NEXT GEN:

Jim MacPhee, Vice President, Next Generation Experience and Walt Disney World Parks Operations, also responsible to Meg Crofton, President Walt Disney World Resort, to lead the operations integration component of this work
• John Padgett, Vice President, Experience Development
• Kevin Rice, Vice President, Interactive Product Development, also responsible to Bruce Vaughn, Executive Vice President and Chief Creative Officer
• Andy Schwalb, Senior Vice President, Strategic IT Services, also responsible to Stephanie Young, Senior Vice President, Global Business Technology Strategy
• Mike Gomes, Vice President, Imaging, also responsible to Michael O'Grattan, Senior Vice President, Entertainment and Imaging
• Brian Besanceney, Vice President, Public Affairs, also responsible to Leslie Goodman, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Public Affairs

So who is this Nick Franklin chap?

GrumpyFan

I'm excited about this this project, and the ideas that it will produce, even if they are mostly unknown by us at least, for the moment. And, even though it's a lot of money, I think it's something they must do to maintain a competitive edge and stay ahead of the other parks, hotels, etc in the area. However, I have to worry just a bit, if some of this won't create an operational headache and ongoing expense for maintenance to keep it working as they intend. Case in point, Expedition Everest and the Yeti.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom