O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It seems, like everything else going on at WDW right now, that only time will tell just how successful this project will be. And without any proof to the contrary, there's no reason to throw out the same gloom and doom scenario over and over again. And no, I'm not a "fanboi," so any proponents of that term can quit while they're behind. I'm just willing to allow event to play out and for results to happen before I make a judgment.

wilsonhanks

creativity

One of the things that makes Disney special in the "magic" at the parks. If they do nothing but add attractions they won't have any extra magic.
Hopefully this will be amazing.

EPCOT Explorer

Very much so. :brick: :lol: Thank you.
Thanks for that link. Why couldn't we find that EE? :hammer:

Well, according to how I'm reading that chart, Franklin's the top dog in the project, with MacPhee reporting to him (or someone under him) and Franklin reports to Staggs.

Because when one is multitasking, one usually goes for the focus on the school work rather than Disney?:lookaroun:lol:

And yes, I think you have it. I hope Franklin is more aligned with Mac then Staggs. Just saying.

Then again...If Staggs wants to spend 1.5 Bill. on WDW, by all means...:D

spaceghost

I agree with the thoughts about using your name everywhere. I think used in a few, unique circumstances it could be "magical," but if used more than that it would become tacky. However, there are other ways to personally recognize people that would be way more effective. For example, going back to my other posts, lets say that Disney can track your lifetime score on TSM and you've hit a certain point plateau. The next time you ride, an animatronic or on-screen display or whatever has Woody notice you coming and says, "Hey there sharpshooter! Nice seeing you again." Or something like that. It would be a personal connection recognizing past events, that ultimately means more to a guest than a computerized system saying their name. Just another thought.

raven

Yeah, I think we've all gotten those artificial voice messages that insert your name here. Not really very impressive at all.

No one ever said it's going to be a vocal personalization. Perhaps the guest name will show up in print form.

KevinYee

At this stage of the game, I'm neither for it nor against it. There are some things worth railing about when they are announced (Disney's Florida Adventure would be one such, if they ever tried it), but this is one that needs more info exposed before a true position can be taken.

I have slivers of thoughts, nothing concrete just yet. I'm excited by the possibilities (some posters here have GREAT imaginations for the kind of future-tech this will open up). I'm excited, but also wary, of the $1.5 billion figure. If true, I'd also rather have a new park instead.

This is the sort of project that has lots of "then agains" for me. While I'd rather have a new park, then again it might be kind of neat for WDW to be GROUND ZERO for a 21-st century social experiment. It really would be a kind of "model city" like Walt originally envisioned, only this time the thing being modeled is future-tech ability to customize not just your ride, but how transportation moves you and how the system responds to your presence.

Then again (there's the phrase again!), I'm also worried about privacy. It's correct that spending chip-money is not the same as spending "real" money (or what feels like/passes for real money), so the system isn't going to be anonymous. And non-anonymous means we'll be seeing a real Minority Report type of backlash, I think. Maybe I should use Orwell instead, since the relevant part of the metaphor in Minority Report is the omnipresent panopticon: the system knows you, knows where you are, knows what you want... and there's a creepiness to this that should not just be shrugged off as the reactions of a Luddite.

EPCOT Explorer

What is Disney going to use this for in "tracking" you anyway? All they want to do is make more money off of you. :lol: However, if you are sound of mind (whoops, lost half the Disney Population right there) you can prevent them from taking your money.:wave::lookaroun

raven

What is Disney going to use this for in "tracking" you anyway? All they want to do is make more money off of you. :lol: However, if you are sound of mind (whoops, lost half the Disney Population right there) you can prevent them from taking your money.:wave::lookaroun

I think the RFID's won't have that big of a range on them. Meaning that you'd have to hold the ID close to a receiver in order for it to read.

But if not, think of it this way. If they put a receiver at the entrance to, say a bathroom and find that most of it's users at a certain time were coming from a large show, they could use that information to build a closer bathroom or a larger one. That actually would be very useful information that could make a better guest experience down the road. Same goes for transportation, dining and many other aspects.

EPCOT Explorer

Hello, Pot.;):p
:xmas:
I think the RFID's won't have that big of a range on them. Meaning that you'd have to hold the ID close to a receiver in order for it to read.

But if not, think of it this way. If they put a receiver at the entrance to, say a bathroom and find that most of it's users at a certain time were coming from a large show, they could use that information to build a closer bathroom or a larger one. That actually would be very useful information that could make a better guest experience down the road. Same goes for transportation, dining and many other aspects.

Exactly. Infrastructure is part of this, too.

toolsnspools

As for personal recognition, there could be a display screen on rides for the CM so they could welcome you personally - "Hello Smith family. Welcome aboard the POTC ride." Something as simple as that would make the parks a little more personal and enjoyable. It doesn't all have to be talking characters.

RSoxNo1

Then again (there's the phrase again!), I'm also worried about privacy. It's correct that spending chip-money is not the same as spending "real" money (or what feels like/passes for real money), so the system isn't going to be anonymous. And non-anonymous means we'll be seeing a real Minority Report type of backlash, I think. Maybe I should use Orwell instead, since the relevant part of the metaphor in Minority Report is the omnipresent panopticon: the system knows you, knows where you are, knows what you want... and there's a creepiness to this that should not just be shrugged off as the reactions of a Luddite.

What I fear is something like Vanilla Sky more than Minority Report, where you're walking along Fantasyland and things pop out at you,

"Hello Kevin Yee, we see your favorite character is Donald Duck - have you met him? He's over at the Exposition Hall on Main Street right now. While there you can buy Donald Duck t-shirts, baseball hats, and stickers!"

The other problem I see is often times groups separate in the parks, and one person winds up holding all of the park passes. They may find it more beneficial to utilize a sort of bracelet system (like what's used for the Premium Event Parties) that has the RFID chip in that.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No one ever said it's going to be a vocal personalization. Perhaps the guest name will show up in print form.

Well that's totally different. :lookaroun What's the difference in this and the Readers Digest Sweepstakes entry forms?

Again, the price isn't just for WDW but global.

Oh, I understand that this is for R&D and for implementation. I'm just not so sure that it's going to be that exciting.

I hope it is.

toolsnspools

The other problem I see is often times groups separate in the parks, and one person winds up holding all of the park passes. They may find it more beneficial to utilize a sort of bracelet system (like what's used for the Premium Event Parties) that has the RFID chip in that.

I would think it would have to be easily carried. I find bracelets irritating, but they could just as easily use the existing park passes with an embedded chip. It could even be something attached to a keychain.

What would be helpful would be the ability to use one RFID and a kiosk to find the rest of your party on an interactive park map.

BTW - Here's to one more year with Papelbon. :sohappy:

CaptainMichael

When I went to the Adventurers Club, CMs recognized me, they knew my name, Nash remembered what I drank and would keep me well "hydrated." At the end of the night, my tab was paid through the magic of a plastic card, and I went back to my resort.

The Adventurers Club didn't cost $1.5 billion dollars, and they shut it down. There was level of interactivity and magic there that no chip or computer can replace.

This is too much like the scene in Wall-E with all of the vegetable humans with robots attending to their every need.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to plan my trip to LegoLand.:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom