O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

SirGoofy

A nice hello from a character,potentially using your name.

That's exactly what scares the hell out of me. It could be the single most cheesy move they can do...Meaning it's going to be in EVERY ride.:lol:

In all honesty, now that I've heard the price tag for this baby, it better blow me away. That's a ton of money for something I see as completely not needed, where the parks need so much. A lot is hanging on this for me personally now.

Buried20KLeague

I second the motion. This is the company that bought a couple thousand acres of central Florida under a series of assumed names. RFID and new software are NOT going to cost a BILLION dollars plus. I smell a red herring, bait and switch, the old "hand is quicker then the eye". I know I'm going to be flamed for promoting a conspiracy theory, but something here just does not pass the smell test. This smells suspiciously like mouse..... :brick:

No it's not. This is a different age, with (sadly) very different people in charge. They wouldn't have the stones to pull something off these days like they did back then.

I think Sak is dead on (as usual)... If they're putting this much cash into it, it's because someone has convinced the highest level execs at the company that by doing so, they could GREATLY increase revenue. Garcia said in the article that they're spending as much on this as the two cruise ships. How much revenue are those two ships going to bring them?

What does that tell you about what they must have in mind for this project?

Now, that being said... The mere fact that they MUST think they can suck a ton of extra cash out of my wallet with this has me intrigued. I'm interested. Might I be okay with that if I deem the experience worth the extra money?

Or... Might this be the kind of thing that seasoned vets like us learn to work around, meaning that Disney really ends up pillaging only those that don't know any better or don't know how to work the system?

jt04

No it's not. This is a different age, with (sadly) very different people in charge. They wouldn't have the stones to pull something off these days like they did back then.

I think Sak is dead on (as usual)... If they're putting this much cash into it, it's because someone has convinced the highest level execs at the company that by doing so, they could GREATLY increase revenue. Garcia said in the article that they're spending as much on this as the two cruise ships. How much revenue are those two ships going to bring them?

What does that tell you about what they must have in mind for this project?

Now, that being said... The mere fact that they MUST think they can suck a ton of extra cash out of my wallet with this has me intrigued. I'm interested. Might I be okay with that if I deem the experience worth the extra money?

Or... Might this be the kind of thing that seasoned vets like us learn to work around, meaning that Disney really ends up pillaging only those that don't know any better or don't know how to work the system?

Excellent post. :sohappy:

majortom1981

I am thinking that this might tie in with the disney store redos. Especially the one in times square.

The disney store articles state some experimental stuff. What better way to experiment with rfid tags and things like that then in your own store. Especially one in times Square that will get tons of people a year.

Buried20KLeague

Just a thought...

Maybe Disney's putting so much cash into this because their goal is to develop patents... Develop products that are revolutionary, and which uses could span many different markets.

Disney develops the technology because they see a major way to benefit financially in their parks division, but also see how other industries could use the products.

They get patents.

Products are used sucessfully in the parks. Other industries see this. Other industries come to Disney to buy the technology.

Disney's profits soar.

Maybe it's not solely about "how to squeeze more money from the tourist", but also about other industries paying to use the patented technology once they see it as a success. :shrug:

WDW Vacationer

Everyone is still thinking in terms of rides and it's going to go WAY beyond that. This isn't being implemented for the purpose of tracking guest movements or behavior. That will come automatically anyways. But the main purpose if the program is to greatly enhance the guest experience, make their vacations more enjoyable, efficient and customised to their individual tastes.
Thanks Raven,this sounds like good stuff!

That's what they said about the DDP, and Magic Your Way.:rolleyes:

What is wrong with Magic Your Way?

lebeau

Eh, I think park hopper and some other things should just automatically be included with the tickets for the obscene amount you pay to get into the parks.

I do like being able to opt out of PH since we rarely ever use it with young kids.

However, if I could get PH included at the price of a base ticket, that would be nice.

The question is, without MYW would we all be paying the price of a ticket with PH or the price of a base ticket?

SirGoofy

The question is, without MYW would we all be paying the price of a ticket with PH or the price of a base ticket?

I would hope base. I really don't see the point in not having PH included.

Also, I think the whole "pay extra so your tickets never expire" is complete BS.

jt04

I'm just saying with that price tag, it better blow me away. To the point where I say, "I'm making a trip down tomorrow!"

That money could have revitalized EPCOT and MK(another frakking ride in FLE!!!:fork:) more than I see this project doing.

Yep. And if they are so sure they are going to be able to license this for great profits nothing should be stopping from doing more than just FLE. But I guess we are left to wait another several years by appearences.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm just saying with that price tag, it better blow me away. To the point where I say, "I'm making a trip down tomorrow!"

That money could have revitalized EPCOT and MK(another frakking ride in FLE!!!:fork:) more than I see this project doing.

I do think that yes, there will be aspects of that that will revolutionize how the parks are experienced. That's how it's been described to me. I wish I had more details. VERY, VERY BADLY.:ROFLOL:

lebeau

I would hope base. I really don't see the point in not having PH included.

Also, I think the whole "pay extra so your tickets never expire" is complete BS.

I agree. Especially with the current price scale. If it were just a few extra bucks, I'd get 10-day PHs with no expiration date every time. But the no expiration date option eats up most of the savings of the multi-day ticket. And then you just have the hassle of keeping track of an expensive ticket.

I expect that if we went back to the Pre-Magic Your Way tickets, the price of a ticket would be roughly the same as a current-day PH rather than a base ticket. But you'd have the water park and no expiration date options included as well. Great if you're using the options.

For me, I prefer the MYW tickets because with two little kids we don't use any of the options offered. I figure this saves me a little bit over the old way when I had to pay for all the options regardless.

Obviously, if I could pay for a base ticket and get all the options for free, that would be ideal. But this being Disney I have no doubt they would be charging more.

SirGoofy

Yep. And if they are so sure they are going to be able to license this for great profits nothing should be stopping from doing more than just FLE. But I guess we are left to wait another several years by appearences.

I agree.

In all honesty, the outcome holds a very big weight for me now that I've seen the price. If it doesn't deliver on it's "revolutionizing", I will be taking my money to DL, DLP, HKDL, SDL, and TDL.

I do think that yes, there will be aspects of that that will revolutionize how the parks are experienced. That's how it's been described to me. I wish I had more details. VERY, VERY BADLY.:ROFLOL:

Which worries me. Buzz words rarely generate positive outcomes from my experiences.

EPCOT Explorer

I agree.

In all honesty, the outcome holds a very big weight for me now that I've seen the price. If it doesn't deliver on it's "revolutionizing", I will be taking my money to DL, DLP, HKDL, SDL, and TDL.

Which worries me. Buzz words rarely generate positive outcomes from my experiences.

The thing is, I'm not getting buzz words from PR. It it were from PR, sure. Then, you can be skeptical. I trust who told me this info was being truthful in it's implications.

jt04

I agree.

Same here. I'll go where they are actually trying to earn my patronage. Right now WDW is not doing that. They can change that easy enough so time will tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom