O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's what they said about the DDP, and Magic Your Way.:rolleyes:
And for the regular guest both have greatly improved guest experience. Dining at WDW is IMHO nearly as important as the attractions themselves. Up until the current version of the DDP many semi regular Disney guests never set foot inside a Disney TS restaurant and the DDP has helped to open their eyes to an entirely new Disney experience. I have seen a long time very passionate Disney fan have this epiphany first hand and it was an incredible thing to behold. MYW structured ticket prices in such a way that it allowed guests to stay longer and allowed guest to customize their tickets to suit their needs better.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
:ROFLOL:

Clearly Disney learned well from D23.... Viral marketing works!

All they've announced is a multi-park project with a $1.5B budget and who's in charge of it. That's it, nothing else. But between the press, the blogospere and web forums, the escalation of rumour and conjecture has reached epidemic proportions.

To steal a line from my favourite Garfield cartoon:

"I like you... You amuse me!"

Carry on...

EPCOT Explorer

Clearly Disney learned well from D23.... Viral marketing works!

All they've announced is a multi-park project with a $1.5B budget and who's in charge of it. That's it, nothing else. But between the press, the blogospere and web forums, the escalation of rumour and conjecture has reached epidemic proportions.

To steal a line from my favourite Garfield cartoon:

"I like you... You amuse me!"

Carry on...
Well, there goes my optimism! :wave: :lol:

I would think that this is playing the PR game, more than marketing, and they are playing it VERY VERY well. Disney is smart about these things.

Figment632

1.5 billion for this tech!!!!!! Hmm with 1.5 billion they could finish SSE, Reopen WOL, redo JII and UOE, and maybe build the MI coaster.

MythBuster

They are using RFID right now, the Kim Possible game is a good example of that. That blue plastic thing on your Kimmunicator is a RFID tag, it lets the game know if you are in the right location to trigger the next gag.

Also, they are in the process of installing RFID tags in all of cast members costumes to track them, instead of using barcodes and barcode readers, they are switching to RFID tags. So I think they will be using RFID for a lot different things than just a guest experience. They will be able to track inventory for merchandise and foods and hopefully easier and faster ways to account for everything.

EPCOT Explorer

They are using RFID right now, the Kim Possible game is a good example of that. That blue plastic thing on your Kimmunicator is a RFID tag, it lets the game know if you are in the right location to trigger the next gag.

Also, they are in the process of installing RFID tags in all of cast members costumes to track them, instead of using barcodes and barcode readers, they are switching to RFID tags. So I think they will be using RFID for a lot different things than just a guest experience. They will be able to track inventory for merchandise and foods and hopefully easier and faster ways to account for everything.

That makes sense, seeing how much this will cost. Some will be infrastructure, some will be for show.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
And for the regular guest both have greatly improved guest experience. Dining at WDW is IMHO nearly as important as the attractions themselves. Up until the current version of the DDP many semi regular Disney guests never set foot inside a Disney TS restaurant and the DDP has helped to open their eyes to an entirely new Disney experience. I have seen a long time very passionate Disney fan have this epiphany first hand and it was an incredible thing to behold. MYW structured ticket prices in such a way that it allowed guests to stay longer and allowed guest to customize their tickets to suit their needs better.

I disagree. Yes, Dining is nearly as important as the attractions themselves and it should not be:

A). suffering with food choices because they can cut down on their bottom line by making lesser menu items everywhere

B.) forcing anyone who wants a nice restaurant meal to plan it 6 months in advance

C.) compete with thousands of other guests planning their vacation 6 months in advance.

In this way, I much prefer going to Universal, being there right when the restaurant opens or between the lunch/dinner rush and actually being able to get a table and a high-quality meal.

raven

I'm just saying with that price tag, it better blow me away. To the point where I say, "I'm making a trip down tomorrow!"

That money could have revitalized EPCOT and MK(another frakking ride in FLE!!!:fork:) more than I see this project doing.

There we go only thinking of just the parks again. This could blow the whole MYW tickets out of the water and make them non-existant. Heck, tickets themselves would be non-existant even. Think of your typical trip to WDW and everything you do from the moment you plan your trip until weeks after you get home. Every detail, every step. Now think of it all changing to become much more simple. I wish I could elaborate more but again, it's much more beyond the parks themselves. But as for the parks and attractions, since everyone is thinking they need to spend more money on them, they got that covered!

IWant2GoNow

There we go only thinking of just the parks again. This could blow the whole MYW tickets out of the water and make them non-existant. Heck, tickets themselves would be non-existant even. Think of your typical trip to WDW and everything you do from the moment you plan your trip until weeks after you get home. Every detail, every step. Now think of it all changing to become much more simple. I wish I could elaborate more but again, it's much more beyond the parks themselves. But as for the parks and attractions, since everyone is thinking they need to spend more money on them, they got that covered!

Are you able to elaborate on the bolded?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I disagree. Yes, Dining is nearly as important as the attractions themselves and it should not be:

A). suffering with food choices because they can cut down on their bottom line by making lesser menu items everywhere

B.) forcing anyone who wants a nice restaurant meal to plan it 6 months in advance

C.) compete with thousands of other guests planning their vacation 6 months in advance.

In this way, I much prefer going to Universal, being there right when the restaurant opens or between the lunch/dinner rush and actually being able to get a table and a high-quality meal.
Why shouldent dining be a great part of the Disney experience? Should disney just convert all of its resturants to Golden Coaral style feeding troughs and remove the fun of WCC and 50's Prime Time, or the elegance of Artist Point and VA?

A) I fail to see the suffering. Have menus changes? Sure. So has every other menu on the planet. Menus change it is a fact of life.
B) Simply not true in the. Sure if you want to eat at the big three (CRT, CM and Le Cellier) you have to plan 6 months ahead but the rest of the resturants are no where near as hard to get into. I do dining reservations for clients all the time...some within 30 days of arrival and have no problem finding them quality places to dine.
C) The reality is that even though every Disney guest can plan dining 6 months out quite a few do not even reserve rooms 6 months out.

MousDad

Okay, I've read and re-read and thought about this, specifically in relationt to the 1 to 1.5 B number.

I'm reading this as a global initiative, falling under the company-wide direction of Nick Franklin, head of global business and real-estate development. It will be a global project, consisting of infrastructure investments worldwide, and intellectual properties, as mentioned.

MacPhee heads the WDW portion, which is only a portion of the total global price tag of 1 to 1.5 billion.

Makes more sense to me that way.

EPCOT Explorer

Okay, I've read and re-read and thought about this, specifically in relationt to the 1 to 1.5 B number.

I'm reading this as a global initiative, falling under the company-wide direction of Nick Franklin, head of global business and real-estate development. It will be a global project, consisting of infrastructure investments worldwide, and intellectual properties, as mentioned.

MacPhee heads the WDW portion, which is only a portion of the total global price tag of 1 to 1.5 billion.

The thing is, I think that this is only for WDW. I don't think that DL is involved. For now.

IWant2GoNow

Good observation and thoughts. I hope you're right. I'd feel a lot better about that price tag if I knew it was going toward all Disney Parks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

There you go making sense again. You are going to upset the torch and pitchfork caring mob if you are't careful.:lol:

raven

The price is global and also includes R&D and operation costs. So if you think of it that way it makes a lot of sense.

Ciciwoowoo

Just a thought...

Maybe Disney's putting so much cash into this because their goal is to develop patents... Develop products that are revolutionary, and which uses could span many different markets.

Disney develops the technology because they see a major way to benefit financially in their parks division, but also see how other industries could use the products.

They get patents.

Products are used sucessfully in the parks. Other industries see this. Other industries come to Disney to buy the technology.

Disney's profits soar.

Maybe it's not solely about "how to squeeze more money from the tourist", but also about other industries paying to use the patented technology once they see it as a success. :shrug:

That is what I was thinking too. In today's corporate society, return on investment in a BIG thing. Using the technology in house in one thing, but the potential to sell this technology to others, making lots of money on top of what it will increase Disney's own earnings from parks and merchandise, will really improve the bottom line and make the stockholders very happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom