O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed this seems like a complete waste to me.
So much for the wait and see approach, right?

Other points raised (and I just spent an hour discussing this with a Disney 'pal' who is a bit more excited about the prospects than I am) about this have already been hit on.

But RFID has been used in costuming at WDW now (consider that a first step) to control and keep better tabs on items/inventory.

Kim Possible is just a beta-test for what RFID can (and likely will) be used for in the parks.

Imagine say riding the Seas and Nemo or Dory or Marlin talk to YOU! ... or Peter Pan invites YOU to go to Neverland ... or you walk by a window display at a shop and suddenly your chip triggers something ... or based on prior visits, Fastpasses are waiting for you when you arrive at your resort ... or your wake up call comes from some character that is a favorite of yours, but most folks haven't heard from ... see where this is going?
That, and much more, as I've said. It'll be in EVERYTHING. :lol:

As near as I can tell the $1.5 billion figure tossed out to the media (and fanbois) isn't being entirely honest. ... It includes mostly infrastructure and things over many years ... from things already happening that don't impact guests really (like CM costuming) to the cost inherent in changing every room lock on property and installing new turnstyles etc.

But largely, this is designed to take you away from your money. By using cashless tech, guests will spend more. It's always easier to put $2,343 on a chip than to pay with cash or reach for your Visa or Am Ex. You'll wind up spending more and Disney knows this.
I've heard so much as that the construction that is going around might even be involved.

spaceghost

I have just one word for you - "achievements." I actually had this idea a while back after first hearing about RFID. After riding Toy Story Mania on our last trip, I thought, "how cool would it be if Disney could track your score from ride to ride?" And then I thought, "how cool would it be if you could earn achievements (ala the XBOX 360) for doing different things on the ride?" And THEN I thought, "how cool would it be if you could earn achievements for just doing things in the parks?" I mean, it would be a little thing, only a small drop in the bucket, but it would be cool. Earn the "Three Mountains Badge" for riding all three mountains in MK in one day. This could all be tied with your "Disney Parks" online profile that could be shared through Facebook, etc. It would be great if Disney could also provide tangible rewards, although Disney being Disney, I doubt much would be given away for free. But maybe you could earn an extra fastpass for a ride or unlock a special pin that can only be purchased by people who have completed certain achievements.

Moving beyond that, I think that there are a ton of great uses for this tech. We've got boards dedicated to trip reports after the fact. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to get a personalized trip log afterwards showing where you went and when? What if your RFID wristband is also tied into PhotoPass (a service that they need to overhaul and expand...good idea, not so good execution), and in your chronological trip log you have your PhotoPass photos shown in order. Or you could even take your personal photos and have an app that takes the time stamp and melds it with your trip log to create a visual interactive story of your trip. It could know where you were at what times and map your photos to a map of the park, etc. Another little thing, but cool.

Another thing is the "sheep factor." 90%+ of the visitors are not like us. They do not know where to go next. How many groups in the park do you see that have no idea where to go next or what they want to do? For these people having an interactive guide to nudge them along and maximize their time would be a huge perk. Tie your cell phone to your account profile, set up what attractions you're interested in ahead of time, and as you navigate the parks get text messages for wait times, fastpass windows, upcoming show times, or even prompts to get a fastpass now.

What about being able to get a FP from your cell phone? Text FP Expidition:Everest to a designated number, it IDs you from your number, sees if you are eligible, and gives you a virtual FP. You then wander over to the FP machine at your convenience, wave your RFID band, and get your FP with the time from the text. You no longer have to run across the park to get a FP for something, and those saved minutes mean more time to get a snack or buy a souvenir...hmmm....(yes, this is probably technically possible now without RFID, but whatever.) :)

Anywho, I'm just a nobody who knows just about next to nothing about park operations, and I came up with those ideas. I'm hoping that the professionals who know this stuff inside out could come up with about a million more. I do totally agree that this is ultimately though about ROI - how can Disney make more money. There's a few ways that something like this will separate our money from our wallets:

1. Make it easier to physically purchase things. As has been stated earlier, it is much easier physically and psychologically to purchase something by waving a wristband than hauling out cash or a credit card.

2. Make our time more efficient. Again as has been stated, less time in lines = more time I can eat, drink, and buy Mickey Ears.

3. Make it easier and more enticing to plan and take a trip. As much as many people hate Magical Express, DDP, etc., many more people like these because they want a planned, all-inclusive resort type trip. That's one of the reasons people like going on cruises, etc. With something as huge as WDW, if RFID and online initiatives can make the experience easier for people, you will get more people coming. As I've become the WDW trip guru to my friends, many of them will come to me for advice. Almost all of them say, "I want to go, but I just don't know where to start planning."

Well, this was supposed to be a short post.... to sum up, this could be cool IF done right. :D

spaceghost

Oooh...another idea - on the fly transportation adjustments. Have RFID sensors set up at the bus stops and you can see at any point in time how many people are waiting for a bus and how long they have been waiting. Waits become excessive, automatically re-route buses as needed. Even better, its an hour before park close, and now I can look and see exactly how many people are actually in the park from each resort. Maybe there is an abnormally high number of people from one resort at the park today. I can plan to have extra transportation available to get all those people back to their hotel in a timely manner. This all ties into efficiency. The sooner I can get people to their hotel, the sooner they can hit the sack and the sooner they can come back again the next day and do it all over again (and spend more money :D). It is a value added situation though - I as a guest am going to be way happier the less time I spend waiting in line to get on a bus to go back to my hotel.

toolsnspools

I like the ideas spaceghost. I'm sure they have been brainstorming this for a while now and probabaly have limitless ideas. The RFIDs could be planted on various objects throughout the parks too, not just on visitors. Perhaps a scavenger hunt for hidden mickeys with implanted RFIDs. Typically RFIDs need a reader to be used. Anyone know if they have RFID to RFID technology yet?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why shouldent dining be a great part of the Disney experience? Should disney just convert all of its resturants to Golden Coaral style feeding troughs and remove the fun of WCC and 50's Prime Time, or the elegance of Artist Point and VA?

A) I fail to see the suffering. Have menus changes? Sure. So has every other menu on the planet. Menus change it is a fact of life.
B) Simply not true in the. Sure if you want to eat at the big three (CRT, CM and Le Cellier) you have to plan 6 months ahead but the rest of the resturants are no where near as hard to get into. I do dining reservations for clients all the time...some within 30 days of arrival and have no problem finding them quality places to dine.
C) The reality is that even though every Disney guest can plan dining 6 months out quite a few do not even reserve rooms 6 months out.

Your first point is exactly what I mean, why is Disney constantly making the menu items cheaper and less appetizing, the problem is that you feel like you're stuck in the feeding troughs when you only have the option for the CS restaurants since all of the others are booked.

30 days in advance is still laughable as far as planning a vacation. Any other place, you can call in the morning and make a reservation for that day, or maybe a couple of days in advance, but not everyone plans all of their meals so far ahead.

GrumpyFan

Oooh...another idea - on the fly transportation adjustments. Have RFID sensors set up at the bus stops and you can see at any point in time how many people are waiting for a bus and how long they have been waiting. Waits become excessive, automatically re-route buses as needed. Even better, its an hour before park close, and now I can look and see exactly how many people are actually in the park from each resort. Maybe there is an abnormally high number of people from one resort at the park today. I can plan to have extra transportation available to get all those people back to their hotel in a timely manner. This all ties into efficiency. The sooner I can get people to their hotel, the sooner they can hit the sack and the sooner they can come back again the next day and do it all over again (and spend more money :D). It is a value added situation though - I as a guest am going to be way happier the less time I spend waiting in line to get on a bus to go back to my hotel.

That's using the noodle! You have some great ideas! Hopefully, Disney is thinking along the same lines with these kinds of ideas.

Bolna

Besides all the issues named already, has anyone ever thought about how annoying it would be if every ride used your name. I don't think it would feel special anymore after a few times. Everyone over 10 knows that this is not done by some "magic" and it is just a machine saying your name... Being adressed personally is so nice because it shows appreciation of you as a person. An automated message doesn't show any appreciation in my opinion...

I understand that there are other uses and it will be interesting to find out about them, but this personalization thing, I am not so sure about...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Besides all the issues named already, has anyone ever thought about how annoying it would be if every ride used your name. I don't think it would feel special anymore after a few times. Everyone over 10 knows that this is not done by some "magic" and it is just a machine saying your name... Being adressed personally is so nice because it shows appreciation of you as a person. An automated message doesn't show any appreciation in my opinion...

I understand that there are other uses and it will be interesting to find out about them, but this personalization thing, I am not so sure about...

Yeah, I think we've all gotten those artificial voice messages that insert your name here. Not really very impressive at all.

Or the form letter printed out by the computer addressed to the _____ family on ____ Street trying very hard to look like a personalized letter. :rolleyes:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, I think we've all gotten those artificial voice messages that insert your name here. Not really very impressive at all.

Or the form letter printed out by the computer addressed to the _____ family on ____ Street trying very hard to look like a personalized letter. :rolleyes:

What are you saying? That letter from Publisher's Clearing House telling me I may be a winner isn't the real deal? Man, there goes the rest of my day.....

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Nothing wrong with personalised direct marketing, if its done properly :animwink:

IWant2GoNow

I have just one word for you - "achievements." I actually had this idea a while back after first hearing about RFID. After riding Toy Story Mania on our last trip, I thought, "how cool would it be if Disney could track your score from ride to ride?" And then I thought, "how cool would it be if you could earn achievements (ala the XBOX 360) for doing different things on the ride?" And THEN I thought, "how cool would it be if you could earn achievements for just doing things in the parks?" I mean, it would be a little thing, only a small drop in the bucket, but it would be cool. Earn the "Three Mountains Badge" for riding all three mountains in MK in one day. This could all be tied with your "Disney Parks" online profile that could be shared through Facebook, etc. It would be great if Disney could also provide tangible rewards, although Disney being Disney, I doubt much would be given away for free. But maybe you could earn an extra fastpass for a ride or unlock a special pin that can only be purchased by people who have completed certain achievements.

The above = :sohappy::D:sohappy::D:sohappy:

Buried20KLeague

Moving beyond that, I think that there are a ton of great uses for this tech. We've got boards dedicated to trip reports after the fact. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to get a personalized trip log afterwards showing where you went and when? What if your RFID wristband is also tied into PhotoPass (a service that they need to overhaul and expand...good idea, not so good execution), and in your chronological trip log you have your PhotoPass photos shown in order. Or you could even take your personal photos and have an app that takes the time stamp and melds it with your trip log to create a visual interactive story of your trip. It could know where you were at what times and map your photos to a map of the park, etc. Another little thing, but cool.

Another thing is the "sheep factor." 90%+ of the visitors are not like us. They do not know where to go next. How many groups in the park do you see that have no idea where to go next or what they want to do? For these people having an interactive guide to nudge them along and maximize their time would be a huge perk. Tie your cell phone to your account profile, set up what attractions you're interested in ahead of time, and as you navigate the parks get text messages for wait times, fastpass windows, upcoming show times, or even prompts to get a fastpass now.

What about being able to get a FP from your cell phone? Text FP Expidition:Everest to a designated number, it IDs you from your number, sees if you are eligible, and gives you a virtual FP. You then wander over to the FP machine at your convenience, wave your RFID band, and get your FP with the time from the text. You no longer have to run across the park to get a FP for something, and those saved minutes mean more time to get a snack or buy a souvenir...hmmm....(yes, this is probably technically possible now without RFID, but whatever.) :)

Anywho, I'm just a nobody who knows just about next to nothing about park operations, and I came up with those ideas. I'm hoping that the professionals who know this stuff inside out could come up with about a million more. I do totally agree that this is ultimately though about ROI - how can Disney make more money. There's a few ways that something like this will separate our money from our wallets:

1. Make it easier to physically purchase things. As has been stated earlier, it is much easier physically and psychologically to purchase something by waving a wristband than hauling out cash or a credit card.

2. Make our time more efficient. Again as has been stated, less time in lines = more time I can eat, drink, and buy Mickey Ears.

3. Make it easier and more enticing to plan and take a trip. As much as many people hate Magical Express, DDP, etc., many more people like these because they want a planned, all-inclusive resort type trip. That's one of the reasons people like going on cruises, etc. With something as huge as WDW, if RFID and online initiatives can make the experience easier for people, you will get more people coming. As I've become the WDW trip guru to my friends, many of them will come to me for advice. Almost all of them say, "I want to go, but I just don't know where to start planning."

Well, this was supposed to be a short post.... to sum up, this could be cool IF done right. :D

WONDERFUL post with great ideas. :sohappy:

I sure hope that if it's this kind of thing they've got in mind, they're seriously putting thought into how this will further clog walkways, and how to alieviate that. Fastpass made a HUGE impact on the walkways... If they start tacking on these other kinds of things (while interesting and even exciting in some cases), those walkways can only get worse.

EPCOT Explorer

Your projecting again I see. Or fantasizing. :eek:

I already have made up my mind about this little project of the mouse house.
It won't play with the masses, not to mention employees being tracked with it. Seriously, why does everything from merchandise to employee costumes (presumably even while being worn) need to be electronically tracked. Unless it's employees need to be tracked. :eek: Why don't they just cut to the chase and make them wear ankle bracelets. Explain to everyone who is not familiar with them how yours works. :wave:

Kidding, we jest. :lol:
:rolleyes:

Smart of you. Never waiting for proof, and pigheadedly jumping the gun.

Wait and see. I think they might be doing something very large here. If they are not, then, I'll be the first one to criticize them. But as it stands, this is investment and it should pay off.
I think those people that are looking at this as E.T. redux are looking at this from a very simplified approach. I hardly believe that Disney is setting the expectations that low for this type of project.

I have yet to experience the Kim Possible World Showcase adventure, but I've heard great things. I've also heard that Universal will be using similar components in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter where you can purchase wands that interface with your surroundings.

Now if we're to believe Jim Hill, this "RFID" project is going to be a premium add on to tickets, and that may be how they get around those people that are pre-occupied with Disney spying on them.

I'm optimistic - Typically when Disney spends $1.5 billion on a project it yields some positive results.
Exactly on the bolded point and your whole post. Well said.

So who is this Nick Franklin chap?

Google has failed me. :lol:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

That aspect will be mostly appreciated by small children, and I can imagine that moms planning trips will be delighted to input all that information and enjoy their kids' delight as they are greeted by characters throughout their trip.

Myself, as a married adult with no children, I would probably get a kick out of it the first time, and then never again.

If your "favorite" character is frequently thrown at you calling you by your name, it's not going to be your favorite for long!! :lol: At least, not for me, since the likelihood that they would pronounce my name correctly is slim.

I wouldn't holler to take the experience away from those who might enjoy it. Just as long as I can opt out. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom