Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

Frank Stallone

I like how you keep referring to people who like Harry Potter "geeks," as if Disney fans aren't called geeks. And we know no one ever thinks to call Star Wars fans geeks. Who would dare!

You're absolutely right. Disney geeks and Star Wars geeks are definitely among the most rabid in the world. Soap Opera people are probably up there too. Interesting you can find all three on Disney property on the right day of the year...

Chezman1399

I believe it was less popular than the first, lets say three movies of the franchise, because since the Prisoner of Azkaban the movies go severely downhill in every single element. Michael Gambon eg. is an AWFUL Dumbledore, but even worse is the writing and directing. The last fairly good HP-movie was TPoA, TGoF was already weak and the Order of the Phoenix is abysmal! Thats why it didn't score as high as PoTC. If this movie would have had the quality of the first two, i would have been a major blockbuster.
But even as they are weak, there is no real competition to PotC because the already existing attraction was only updated a little for the movies and the new Wizarding World is completely new.

You see I thought Order of the Pheonix was by far the best movie of the entire series.

Frank Stallone

Yeah... if you're in a rush rather than relaxing and just enjoying the park.

If you go to any park and do EVERYTHING in a day than you're working... not having fun.

Since Universal doesn't get an important element known as guests, it's pretty easy to get through both parks.

If me and and the friends get to IoA around 4, our usual routine is Hulk, Spiderman, Bluto's Barge, Jurassic Park (the past two are weather permitting), Dueling Dragons (both sides), then head over to Studios and do Mummy, Disaster Studios, Men in Black, ET, Simpsons, then head to Starbucks because it's only 6:30.

Considering you can do both parks in less than 3 hours (4 or 5 if you want to see EVERYTHING), I can't imagine 5 straight days there.

hokielutz

Side note, .... What surprises me is how people react when they discover that there are people who like stuff other than Disney on this board.

This shouldn't be too much of a surprise to anyone... logically speaking. When someone comes to a site, such as this that promotes and provides a good forum for fans of, let's say... a widget, its typical to expece some of the fan population to get defensive if a person starts talking about a competing item.

Also, you could think of it as trying to protect your home turf from an encroacher. In this case a few have chosen to talk up Potter Country (bang!) and also say Disney has no answer to this coming attraction.
Agree or disagree... this is a challenge, and there are those who will answer. Its naieve to not expect a charged response on a forum such as this.

Not everyone is going to have a rabid response to the competition, but some will be. I think this kind of banter back and forth adds excitement to the discussions. I admit getting caught up in the excitement, but I believe I don't go over the top with my responses.

Chezman1399

Sorry, but I did EVERYTHING by 6pm and even rode some stuff twice. Still had plenty of relaxing time left over. Why wait in lines for an hour, give or take, when you can just walk on everything and have more time to enjoy stuff?? There really isn't that much to do at either park, when all is said and done.

I've been to Universal Orlando many times. The fastest I've moved through all of both parks was 3 hours. Every other time I took my time and still had no problem getting on everything I wanted to.

Usually I go:
Hulk
Spider Man
Dudley
Popeye
Jurassic
Dueling Dragons(Both Sides)
I usually stop in Seuss Landing, but the place is usually such a dissapointment. It's got Dumbo, a Carrousel, a somewhat fun kids ride, and a pointless train ride. I love Dr. Seuss stuff too.

Then I switch parks and go:
Mummy 2 or 3 times
Men In Black
ET
Terminator

I've been on Shrek there and think they take more time to mock Disney then they do to actually create their own story. Twister I enjoyed, but I don't have to go on it all the time, I like Ghostbuster's better. I wish Hanna Barberra and the Nick Studios were still there. The Graveyard review is horrible. Haven't been on The Simpson's yet. Jaws, I know it, has it's fan base, but for the most part is Shark here, explosion there.

When I was there last time Terminator, ET, Dudey, Popeye were all shut down as well, and they were just retheming disaster.

But yeah for the most part even with people who have to go to the bathroom every 3 steps I can do both Universal parks in a day or less, while being relaxed. However I wish it was different because I pay 15 dollars a month for a annual pass to a park I may go to 2 or 3 times a year.

Chezman1399

Honestly I'm a huge Disney fan. I'm a seasonal cast member, but I'd love for Universal to put in something to make me feel good about spending time there. To this point they've always dissapointed me. Not to say there isn't a ride or there that I love in the park because there are those rides. I just want a reason to spend more then a couple hours there. I'm not going to get my hopes up until it's complete and it ends up being something that is actually worth it. And if it gets people to go over to Universal then good for them. There is a reason why 3 or 4 years ago they were competing with Disney for the largest Single Day ticket in Florida, and now they're giving away most of the year.

Also, I would think Disney might want Universal to Succeed. Right now 90% people atteneding theme Parks go there for Disney. If Universal starts attracting a crowd too those people may be prone to wandering over to Disney. Just like Disney people do to Universal.

KaliSplash

Potter will be a wonderful addition for Universal. It's a huge franchise. But people are not going to stop going to WDW because Universal creates a wonderful new land. Will it cost Mickey a day's visit by some folks? Yes. Will it cause Disney to dry up and blow away? Of course not!

Enigma

Account Suspended
Do you have any idea what Universal is developing for this addition, or are you just assuming that because it's Universal it's going to be terrible compared to the great, all-powerful Disney?

I don't get why people think Universal Studios is some kind of junky inferior park. The way they set up there resort is very nice and there are chunks of IOA better themed than most of the newer stuff at Disney (Juarssic Park, Lost Continent, etc.). They also have several rides that 1up Disney considerably such as Spider-Man e-ticket, Men In Black (uses real AA's and themeing superior to both midway mania and buzz), and I would say The Mummy is about on par with Everest as an actual ride (not counting queue themeing and exteranl elements). I believe I just recently saw a headline from an orlando newspaper/magazine that said the Simpsons simulator is actually the better attraction compared to mania.

Universal Creative has given alot of thought and care into this Harry Potter area and they will be spending considerable money on it. J.K.Rowling would not have signed off on it if it was going to be some off the shelf junk like "Dino O Rama". This will be one of Universal's better projects if not there best yet.

Spike-in-Berlin

Twister I enjoyed, but I don't have to go on it all the time, I like Ghostbuster's better.

What's Twister like? I am a storm buff and I definitely want to go at least one day to US next time (I plan 5 days for WDW while staying 6 or 7 days on property in a disney resort) because I want to see it. Is it something special?

Buried20KLeague

Let me first say that we're not Universal haters. We make it over there a couple days probably every other trip... Which equates to about once a year I'd say.

But I'm just not sure about the Potter thing. All I can think about is concept art... It looks like a cold (temperature wise) kind of British town looking area... I think one even shows a bit of snow falling. And in the art I've seen, I think it's ALWAYS night. And that's exactly what I picture when I think of Harry Potter. That's the setting.

But then I think about the reality of the situation. Most of the year, It's HOT. And most of the hours of operation are during the DAY, with bright sunny skies.

I don't know... I just think it will lose something walking around there in 100 degree heat... Sun beating down... Everyone dressed in shorts and short sleeved shirts, pushing strollers... Screaming kids running around... Everyone sweating like crazy.

I just feel like it'll take a lot away from the "escape" if you will. It kinda feels like the intended setting is going to clash HARD with reality... To the point that reality could encroach much more than you might think.

And I would say the same thing if it were going to be in a Disney park in Florida. The climate difference alone is a big deal... And the sun being up during most of the operating hours, too.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. :shrug:

Spike-in-Berlin

I'll take everest and TSM over The Simpsons and the Mummy andy day of the week

Actually, although I love EE (i never bought more attraction merchandise than at Serka Zong), I am a little disappointed by it after I saw the design sketches and original ideas. It was downsized quite a lot and I think it needs some strong plussing. The ride takes about 2 min 50 sec and the first 50 seconds of it nothing happens at all, you go a little around the lower bamboo forest where NOTHING happens, no AA (e.g. Tigers or other animals), no special FX, nothing. It improves when you climb up through the monastery of course but look at what they planned originally. The train should have run through deep chasms inside the mountain range, not outside where the immersion in the attraction is diminished. And the Yeti? You see the biggest AA they ever built for less than half a second. I think EE could have been much better, not to mention the problems they have with several SFX.

Spike-in-Berlin

Universal Creative has given alot of thought and care into this Harry Potter area and they will be spending considerable money on it. J.K.Rowling would not have signed off on it if it was going to be some off the shelf junk like "Dino O Rama". This will be one of Universal's better projects if not there best yet.

Very good point. I hate it. Totally undisneyish.

Spike-in-Berlin

Let me first say that we're not Universal haters. We make it over there a couple days probably every other trip... Which equates to about once a year I'd say.

But I'm just not sure about the Potter thing. All I can think about is concept art... It looks like a cold (temperature wise) kind of British town looking area... I think one even shows a bit of snow falling. And in the art I've seen, I think it's ALWAYS night. And that's exactly what I picture when I think of Harry Potter. That's the setting.

But then I think about the reality of the situation. Most of the year, It's HOT. And most of the hours of operation are during the DAY, with bright sunny skies.

I don't know... I just think it will lose something walking around there in 100 degree heat... Sun beating down... Everyone dressed in shorts and short sleeved shirts, pushing strollers... Screaming kids running around... Everyone sweating like crazy.

I just feel like it'll take a lot away from the "escape" if you will. It kinda feels like the intended setting is going to clash HARD with reality... To the point that reality could encroach much more than you might think.

And I would say the same thing if it were going to be in a Disney park in Florida. The climate difference alone is a big deal... And the sun being up during most of the operating hours, too.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. :shrug:

That's exactly why I don't like Disneyland Paris. It's only a few hours train ride away (we have very fast trains in Germany and France) and still I prefer to wait a much longer time to see the real thing again, even if it costs me 5 times as much as a Disneyland Paris-trip would cost me, even when staying at a Disney-Resort (the theming of the Disney-Resorts in Paris is by far sub-par compared to WDW). To me being in a Disney-Park means HOT WEATHER. SUN. AMERICANS (yes I like you quite a lot:D) and of course ENGLISH SPEAKING ATTRACTIONS AND CMs. TROPICAL CLIMATE. PALMS. The Adventureland e.g. is boring without tropical atmosphere and the JC. I never got warm with DL Paris and never will because it doesn't fit. And the same it could be with the Harry-Potter-Land. Scotland (Hogwarts lies in Scotland) and temperatures in the 90ies and more?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom