Only a year and a half away from Harry Potter Land and still nothing from Disney!

Legacy

Beside what I already named, the only thing Universal Studios has added worth mentioning is Terminator, Twister, MIB. MGM (for lack of a better term) added Tower, Coaster, and Star Tours. You can tell me the winner.

Not to mention the rest of WDW opened attractions called Splash Mountain and Test Track in that period also. But they don't count do they since Universal is only trying to compete with MGM and not the MK or Epcot.

I could call you the winner... but it's a matter of opinion. They added a simulator, an off-the-shelf coaster in a building and Tower (I'll give you that). Terminator set a new standard for 3-D films, Twister has a tornado in a building and MiB, which makes Buzz's Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin look like a bunch of cardboard cut-outs and Toy Story Mania look like a video game.

And stop insisting that we have to count what Epcot and MK added. You can't say "WDW added more" when WDW has twice as many parks as Universal does. Of course is going to add more... they can't get away with one attraction divided into four parks for a year.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Since Universal doesn't get an important element known as guests, it's pretty easy to get through both parks.

If me and and the friends get to IoA around 4, our usual routine is Hulk, Spiderman, Bluto's Barge, Jurassic Park (the past two are weather permitting), Dueling Dragons (both sides), then head over to Studios and do Mummy, Disaster Studios, Men in Black, ET, Simpsons, then head to Starbucks because it's only 6:30.

Considering you can do both parks in less than 3 hours (4 or 5 if you want to see EVERYTHING), I can't imagine 5 straight days there.
Are you doing this with Express? Because in five hours today we were only able to do Twister, Mummy, Disaster, MIB, The Simpsons, Horror Make-Up, and Fear Factor.

Mummy isn't bad, just not as good as it was hyped up to be. Simpsons, on the other hand, has yet to impress any of the folks I've taken to it
That's funny, I've personally taken five different people on it so far (two today) and they've all said it was the best ride of the day...

nuttyskadork

IMO WWoHP is in response to Disney. They have been plussing there parks for the past 8 years while Universal has been a snooze fest. Ex:

MK
06 - POTC update
06 - Mansion update
03 - Philharmagic
04 - Stitch
07 - MILF

EC
07 - SSE update
03 - Mission Space
05 - Soarin'
07 - Nemo ride
04 - Turtle Talk
07 - Grand Fiesta Tour

ST
05 - LMA!
08 - Midway Mania

AK
06 - Everest
06 - Nemo musical

Universal & IOA
03 - Jimmy Neutron
03 - Shrek
04 - Mummy
05 - Diaster
08 - Simpson
06 - Sky Suess Trolly

Seems WWoHP is in reaction to Disney to me:shrug:

At HS: High School Musical was the last few years too. Narnia's new.

At Epcot I think the JTI recent update was in the last few years. SSE's Project tomorrow's new. O canada was redone in 02 I believe. I vaguely remember an update for American Adventure too. But yeah Epcot, Future World in particular have been massive lately. Four of the main pavillions have changed significantly in the last ten years (assuming Ellen was added about 98-ish?). Plus of the other two still open, one's main attraction was redone recently and the other was revamped to add Soarin'. Innoventions is obviously constantly evolving.

Don't forget about Crush Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon, and I believe Cirque du Soleil is in the last 10 years also.

At AK, Primeval Whirl opened in 2002.

AS for MK, I think Aladdin was the last 10 years or so. Splash Mountain had a big revamp a few years back. Pooh's only about 10 years old.

That said, Disneys been FAR more active the last few years in California IMO. Disneyland

05- First 50 Magical Years
Tomorrowland Update in 98
05- Buzz
07- Nemo
05- new Space Mountain
06- new Fantasyland Theater show
Tarzan was in 99
Haunted Mansion and Pirates are both redone
03- Winnie the Pooh
06- new Goofy Playhouse

But DCA has been massive. I mean it only opened in 01 anyways.
But theyve done a lot of changes
08-Toy Story
06- Monsters Inc
04- Twilight Zone
03- Aladdin
03- Playhouse Disney
05- Turtle Talk
02- Kids Rides in Bugs Life
07- High School Musical
08- new Pixar parade

Plus DCA is losing the California sign and getting a whole new entrance soon.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Another pointless thread, simple fact is that this board is full of Universal experts, they dont know what the park is like having never been, but they know they dont like it. As a result you get inane comments and pointless opinions.

They will never visit the park so who give a flying fork if they think the themeing is crap. These Disney "fans" are the same ones that probably never ride ToT or RnRC because its too far removed from a motorised dummy or a 195os comedy script.

Vive l' difference.

TP2000

I mean, they haven't even announced anything regarding future plans, nor are they building anything attraction wise to combat it. What gives?!.

Disney is spending 1.2 Billion dollars on Disney's California Adventure over the next three to four years. Even a succesful company like Disney can't just throw money around. The big money for Parks & Resorts is going into California Adventure for the next few years.

As for the Space Mountain rehab, that's not going to do much for WDW.

Space Mountain was closed at Disneyland for two years for its rehab, and when it opened in 2005 it was fabulously updated and very hip and modern. And it's still a very popular E Ticket at Disneyland and very 21st century, but it didn't pull in more people to Disneyland aside from about 150 rabid Internet fanboys. People don't change or alter vacation plans based off of one roller coaster being rehabbed and brought out of the 1970's.

opshannon

Let me first say that we're not Universal haters. We make it over there a couple days probably every other trip... Which equates to about once a year I'd say.

But I'm just not sure about the Potter thing. All I can think about is concept art... It looks like a cold (temperature wise) kind of British town looking area... I think one even shows a bit of snow falling. And in the art I've seen, I think it's ALWAYS night. And that's exactly what I picture when I think of Harry Potter. That's the setting.

But then I think about the reality of the situation. Most of the year, It's HOT. And most of the hours of operation are during the DAY, with bright sunny skies.

I don't know... I just think it will lose something walking around there in 100 degree heat... Sun beating down... Everyone dressed in shorts and short sleeved shirts, pushing strollers... Screaming kids running around... Everyone sweating like crazy.

I just feel like it'll take a lot away from the "escape" if you will. It kinda feels like the intended setting is going to clash HARD with reality... To the point that reality could encroach much more than you might think.

And I would say the same thing if it were going to be in a Disney park in Florida. The climate difference alone is a big deal... And the sun being up during most of the operating hours, too.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. :shrug:

Great points. You'd never see Disney build anything snow themed in Florida. :brick:

Ausdaddy

Another pointless thread, simple fact is that this board is full of Universal experts, they dont know what the park is like having never been, but they know they dont like it. As a result you get inane comments and pointless opinions.

They will never visit the park so who give a flying fork if they think the themeing is crap. These Disney "fans" are the same ones that probably never ride ToT or RnRC because its too far removed from a motorised dummy or a 195os comedy script.

Vive l' difference.

Little harsh, don't you think? The Universal-biased opinions I've seen in this thread are just as inane and pointless. This whole thread is pointless. No one knows what's going to happen. As I stated earlier, this is a WDW fan board. It's unreasonable to expect objectivity. It's just as crazy to come in here spouting your love for HP or Universal and defending it with baseless comments.

hokielutz

I think we've beaten this horse to death 5 times already. Maybe when there is more news about Potter, this thread can be resurrected. I've had my say, and everything else seems to be going around in circles.

Pumbas Nakasak

Little harsh, don't you think? The Universal-biased opinions I've seen in this thread are just as inane and pointless. This whole thread is pointless. No one knows what's going to happen. As I stated earlier, this is a WDW fan board. It's unreasonable to expect objectivity. It's just as crazy to come in here spouting your love for HP or Universal and defending it with baseless comments.

Ill admit Im crazy, why else would I be on line discussing a theme park, however my opinions on the parks have been formed after experiencing them unlike the vast majority of those detracting Universal.

As for the objectivity, you are probably correct, after all its too big a word for many to understand far less comprehend.

And thanks for pointing out that this is a Disney fan site, I must have missed that on the home page.

I too am a big Harry Potter fan. The way I see it, adding IOA hasn't been enough to draw my attention from the world since 98. Now I'll admit there is a fascination with what they will do with Harry Potter. So I will evaluate it...decide when it's built. But I don't think that Disney will honestly lose out to this. I mean chances are Universal will end up disappointing me...again with Harry Potter.

Ausdaddy

Ill admit Im crazy, why else would I be on line discussing a theme park, however my opinions on the parks have been formed after experiencing them unlike the vast majority of those detracting Universal.

As for the objectivity, you are probably correct, after all its too big a word for many to understand far less comprehend.

And thanks for pointing out that this is a Disney fan site, I must have missed that on the home page.

Oh, how very clever of you. Hardly a necessary comment. You know that I was merely framing my point and not telling you what type of site you're on. Your point about experiencing the parks is valid and taken.

Pumbas Nakasak

Oh, how very clever of you. Hardly a necessary comment. You know that I was merely framing my point and not telling you what type of site you're on. Your point about experiencing the parks is valid and taken.

Mmmmm but your original post stating the nature of the site was. Go figure.

And thanks for the compliment.

opshannon

Now, now kids, let's calm down a bit. Here's what we've discovered. Some think HP will be a boon for IOA. Some think it won't be. Some can speak with objectivity about US, IOA, Disney. Some people believe that Disney fans should not be expected to view things with any semblance of objectivity.

sknydave

Vive l' difference.

nice :drevil:

Frank Stallone

Kind of off topic, but does Universal have its own fan boards? Granted, it would be made up mostly of teenagers and school field trips, since that seems to be most of their clientele. I've also noticed that most of the UK guests visit Universal for a day, since they usually are in the Orlando area for a minimum of two weeks.

And it's not Disney's fault that they are more established, and therefore have more parks to put new attractions in. If anything, that's an attribute to how many repeated guests Disney gets that demand new attractions and sights to bring those guests back.

If there was a demand for a new Universal Park, they could build one. There is a massive empty lot right next to IoA (off of Turkey Lake Road) where a park could be built if NBC-Universal bought the land. But does Universal want to lose even more money?

Frank Stallone

Are you doing this with Express? Because in five hours today we were only able to do Twister, Mummy, Disaster, MIB, The Simpsons, Horror Make-Up, and Fear Factor.

Never used the express pass. Honestly, I think Express pass may as well be called "stand by" queue since most of the time the rides are less than a 10 minute wait to begin with. Fear Factor is a pretty long show, as is the Horror Make-Up Show (glad to see you went and saw that, I enjoy that show and it seems to be forgotten a lot), so that probably could have been 3 or 4 rides right there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom