Once Upon A Dream: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Pre-Trip Report!

FINALLY! We’re getting married... that’s right, I said married. After seven years of dating and 21 trips to Disney World together, the time has finally come. Oh dear, where do I even start? I’m constantly splattering our faces (and vacation stories) all over the internet so I never quite know how much detail to put at the beginning of a report, because it always feels so repetitive. I guess a little background on us is a must though, seeing as how this is a pre-marriage report and all. :D

We (Holly and Brett) met in 2004 working at one of the dive bars in our little college town. We probably worked together (flirting shamelessly) six months or so before we started dating. We weren’t together two months before Brett had my first trip to Disney planned and executed. For real. I vividly remember us hanging out at a friend’s house one afternoon when the subject of Disney came up. The conversation eventually moved to other territory, except for in our little corner of the room... Brett was downright shocked that I’d never been to Disney. He was like “Let’s go.” And I’m thinking, sure, what’s the harm in playing along with this little game, it’s not like we’re going to pick up and go tomorrow. A few days later he tells me he’s worked out all the details, and if I’m still up for it, we leave next week! Talk about sweeping a girl off her feet. :)

It was a short trip, and I mean short... only two nights. We took off after work one Friday night and were at Downtown Disney by lunchtime the next day. We stayed at Caribbean Beach and somehow managed to hit up all four parks and Blizzard Beach over the course of two and a half days. It was a whirlwind. Here are some pictures from that very first trip. Yes, I had to scan them in because they’re from the dark ages – April 2004 to be precise. High quality!

Apr04.jpg

Apr04007.jpg

Apr04004.jpg

Overall the trip was a screaming success. Of course it was, otherwise I don’t think we’d be where we are today. :lol:

There are a handful of moments from that first trip that are as clear as could be for me... one was running through the Magic Kingdom at night during a major downpour, laughing like crazy and holding Brett’s hand as he drug me from one awning to the next, not caring in the slightest that I was completely drenched from head to toe.

Another was dinner at Ohana. I fell in love. In love with the Polynesian. In love with the restaurant. In love with the food. In love with the fireworks outside the window. In love with Disney. In love with the guy across the table from me. What?!? :eek: Uh-oh. Wait. How’d that happen?! And how am I gonna keep him from noticing? After all we’d only been dating two months.

Another was ice cream on Main Street on our last afternoon, just before we had to leave and head back home. I was hit so hard by how much I didn’t want any of it to end. I still get the exact same feeling every single time we leave property to head home. I think I mention it quite a bit in my trip reports, but my love for Disney is completely and totally tangled up and intertwined with my love for Brett. Falling in love with them both at the same time can have that affect on a girl. :animwink:

For us, Disney is a place where our relationship shines. Simply put... it is us at our best. And as cheesy as it may sound I come away from every trip even more in love with this man than before. THIS is why we are getting married at Disney World... it’s always been a part of our narrative as a couple and it will always continue to be.

diddy_mouse

Woo! Your day is just on the horizon! :sohappy: Hopefully being busy at work will make these last few days fly by...then *poof* it's the day before your wedding! So exciting!

Yup, I know exactly what you mean about getting the smell of a place from the picture. What's even better (or stranger how you look at it) is getting those "Disney smells" when at home. I swear, one time the stairwell in my apartment smelt just like the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

It's so close!! Yay!!!!:sohappy::sohappy:

Brett, that was so hilarious. Thank you for providing us all a laugh.:lol:

So, I've been wondering one thing, sorry if I missed this. You may have told me before but I can't remember. Where are you getting the other photographer from? Are they local?

I am so glad you're not leaving that to chance. I think the photos are the best investment you can make in your wedding. It's one of the few things you have to remember everything by.

Besides Brett of course!:eek::lookaroun:D

WishIWasAtWDW

Yay! I'm glad to hear things are moving along smoothly for you. How about the dress? Have you started looking for one yet?

i did find a dress! :D i went out one day to david's bridal and found a great dress for cheap. i couldn't justify spending a crazy amount of money on a dress that i will wear for one day so the dress i found was perfect. i love the dress i got and i am glad that i managed to find one so quickly. wedding dress shopping can be so stressful and i wanted to eliminate that stress as quickly as possible. :lol:

So, today we hit a milestone that I'm sure everyone anticipates as they count down to their Disney vacations... the 10 day weather forecast! :lol: We're technically 9 sleeps out! Can you believe it?!

Unfortunately this particular week is my hell week at work and I'll be putting in 60 plus hours, but that's okay because I have this to look forward to... strolling past the waterfall where Brett proposed as we check in for our Disney wedding! Is it crazy that I can "smell" this area and hear the ambient noises just by looking at the picture?! :ROFLOL:

oooo, i love the 10 day weather forecast mark! that is my favorite!! i always keep an eye on the weather a couple weeks before but it is so nice when you actually see the dates in the forecast! hopefully your hell week at work will make the time go by faster. whenever it is slow at work and i have a trip coming up, it makes it so much harder to get anything done. at least with you being super busy you won't have time to be antsy about getting out of the office and to wdw.

HopLow

So, today we hit a milestone that I'm sure everyone anticipates as they count down to their Disney vacations... the 10 day weather forecast! :lol: We're technically 9 sleeps out! Can you believe it?!

Unfortunately this particular week is my hell week at work and I'll be putting in 60 plus hours, but that's okay because I have this to look forward to... strolling past the waterfall where Brett proposed as we check in for our Disney wedding! Is it crazy that I can "smell" this area and hear the ambient noises just by looking at the picture?! :ROFLOL:

IMG_6327.jpg

I definitely know what you mean, I totally "smell" the Poly when I see pictures. Very excited for you guys!! Single digits! It'll be here before you know it! Especially with a busy work week... even though it's awful at the time, being busy makes the time go faster. How terrible would it be if you had nothing to do before your trip?? Time would crawl!

tiaragirl

Ohhhh, my little princess! This gives me SUCH joy. For some reason, all the pictures of Sunset Pointe make me a little teary - that's embarrassing. Also embarrassing that I didn't know this pre-TR was in existence until yesterday when I send you a little love note (L) Especially since I have a call out in it - weddinggawker.com.. it's the best time waster, gotta say.

I'm impressed at how organized you are - I remember the original engagement TR and thinking that March was PLENTY of time to plan something, but really - when you take ALL that stuff into consideration - you've done an amazing job. Productivity, so impressive. The special little aspects that you've made the effort to include will really bring the wedding to another level - the angel charm, the handmade leis, your veil and Brett's top hat - all little memories to took back on in pictures - "remember when we made that..". I love it. I also love how small it's going to be (PS boo on your bro, maybe Kelly, Nicole, and I can take their places? - next week isn't great for me, but my presentations are done on the 17th and I could probably catch a flight..).

Listen to me, I sound like I know what I'm talking about with weddings.. but it sounds ridiculously special and romantic. The pictures from '04 and your "best trips" made me smile, you guys have so many memories.. awawawawAW.

ALSO - DISNEY DREAM?! We're doing the four night cruise in August, so the fact that I get to see it all laid out in one of your amazing TRs brings my excitement (for you, mostly) to a whole other level.

AH, I'm trying to contain my excitement because we're talking about racism in Soc.. don't judge, you told me to read this while in class.

HAVE AN AMAZING TRIP, congrats, so much love (L)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Wow! Time is flying! It's getting so close now. I'm so excited for y'all. And, no, you aren't crazy. When I read that part I could hear & smell it, too.

Thanks, Kelly! Once I get to Friday, it'll be smooth sailing from there.

That is a HUGE milestone! I hope you guys have perfect weather!

Sorry about your hell week...at least it will make the time go by faster...?? Maybe?

Thursday (luau night) is looking to be sunny and 82 degrees with 0% chance of rain right now. Hopefully things will stay that way.

It will totally make the time go faster... Wednesday-Friday will wreck me but it's actually a fun and exciting hell week, so I can't complain too much.

OMG Holly!!! I am getting so excitd for you!!! Less then 2 weeks to go!!! I can not beleive how quick the time has went. It seriously feels like just yesterday that you told us you got engaged!!!

YAY!!! It's such a great feeling when you can view the 10 day forecast isn't it??? That's how I know the trip is literally right around the corner!

You're right, Reese, it totally feels like yesterday. Ugghhh, while I'm super excited the wedding is just about here, I totally hate how time literally flies. I mean, really, each year really does go by faster than the last. I HATE that. Just the other day Brett told me he was excited to slow down and enjoy life with me once we get back. Let's just hope we'll be able to slow down a bit.

Woo! Your day is just on the horizon! Hopefully being busy at work will make these last few days fly by...then *poof* it's the day before your wedding! So exciting!

Yup, I know exactly what you mean about getting the smell of a place from the picture. What's even better (or stranger how you look at it) is getting those "Disney smells" when at home. I swear, one time the stairwell in my apartment smelt just like the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge.

It's totally going to go that way. POOF... I'm married and back home writing about it! :ROFLOL:

I'm sitting here trying to think back to a time when I got a Disney smell at home, and I can't recall it ever happening. Drat. Brett always says the "burning of Rome" (SSE) smells like his childhood and takes him back to Epcot.

It's so close!! Yay!!!!

Brett, that was so hilarious. Thank you for providing us all a laugh.

So, I've been wondering one thing, sorry if I missed this. You may have told me before but I can't remember. Where are you getting the other photographer from? Are they local?

I am so glad you're not leaving that to chance. I think the photos are the best investment you can make in your wedding. It's one of the few things you have to remember everything by.

Besides Brett of course!

Ooh, you know I don't think I mentioned who the photographer actually was. I was exhaustive in researching photographers because I was looking for someone who wouldn't totally break the bank, but still had some serious skills. There were a few photogs that work out of Orlando and do a lot of Disney weddings (whose work I drooled over), but their rates were exceptionally high; to the point where we would've been paying more for the photography and images than for everything else combined (including the Escape package price). :eek: Eventually, I started looking outside of Orlando and I came across Jason Angelini. He is from Tampa and I'm super excited to work with him. Plus, his rates are reasonable. We're only having 5 hours of coverage and he's leaving once we get to dinner. With such a small wedding, and just dinner instead of a reception, there's really no need to have him cover that. You better believe there will be pictures of me in my wedding dress with a camera around my neck for the rest of the night. No worries though, my camera strap will somewhat coordinate with the ensemble. :ROFLOL:

Like you mentioned, the photos are important. In fact, they are the absolute most important part of the day to me (other than Brett :animwink:). Plus, I have a HUGE family (my mom is one of 6 kids and my dad is one of 8 kids). We're talking crazy amounts of cousins and whatnot, so because we're having a destination wedding, the photos are all those people will ever see. They really need to tell the story.

i did find a dress! i went out one day to david's bridal and found a great dress for cheap. i couldn't justify spending a crazy amount of money on a dress that i will wear for one day so the dress i found was perfect. i love the dress i got and i am glad that i managed to find one so quickly. wedding dress shopping can be so stressful and i wanted to eliminate that stress as quickly as possible.

Hooray! I'm so excited you found a dress. :sohappy: And so jealous that it was so quick and painless for you. :lol: I know what you mean about dress shopping being stressful. In fact, we commented on dress stress a lot around here. It became quite the joke that I had "the dress stress" on a daily basis. Like I'd come down with the flu or something.

oooo, i love the 10 day weather forecast mark! that is my favorite!! i always keep an eye on the weather a couple weeks before but it is so nice when you actually see the dates in the forecast! hopefully your hell week at work will make the time go by faster. whenever it is slow at work and i have a trip coming up, it makes it so much harder to get anything done. at least with you being super busy you won't have time to be antsy about getting out of the office and to wdw.

You couldn't be more right about how one slow week at work before a vacation feels like an entire month. Right now, it's the calm before the storm in our office, but as of tomorrow at 5 am, it's on!

I definitely know what you mean, I totally "smell" the Poly when I see pictures. Very excited for you guys!! Single digits! It'll be here before you know it! Especially with a busy work week... even though it's awful at the time, being busy makes the time go faster. How terrible would it be if you had nothing to do before your trip?? Time would crawl!

Seriously, it's too bad there isn't a way to bottle up the Poly. Granted if my office smelled like the Poly, I'd daydream all day long and not just 3/4 of the day. :lol:

Ohhhh, my little princess! This gives me SUCH joy. For some reason, all the pictures of Sunset Pointe make me a little teary - that's embarrassing. Also embarrassing that I didn't know this pre-TR was in existence until yesterday when I send you a little love note (L) Especially since I have a call out in it - weddinggawker.com.. it's the best time waster, gotta say.

I'm impressed at how organized you are - I remember the original engagement TR and thinking that March was PLENTY of time to plan something, but really - when you take ALL that stuff into consideration - you've done an amazing job. Productivity, so impressive. The special little aspects that you've made the effort to include will really bring the wedding to another level - the angel charm, the handmade leis, your veil and Brett's top hat - all little memories to took back on in pictures - "remember when we made that..". I love it. I also love how small it's going to be (PS boo on your bro, maybe Kelly, Nicole, and I can take their places? - next week isn't great for me, but my presentations are done on the 17th and I could probably catch a flight..).

Kenzie! You found it. I was totally thinking I had plenty of time as well, but to be honest, I spent the whole fall season searching for a dress. I vividly remember during our December trip when we were at Kona one morning, Brett's mom leaned over and said "Three Months!" I may or may not've had a panic attack at that moment. :lol:

For the last couple weeks... wait, let's be serious, for the last two months, Brett and I have joked that we'll see each other at the wedding. We're both just so busy right now, and I've been spending most every weekend with my mom getting stuff done that we haven't had much quality time together. Hopefully, that means we'll just enjoy our relaxing trip all the more.

You know, I still need that photographer out on the lagoon. :animwink:

Listen to me, I sound like I know what I'm talking about with weddings.. but it sounds ridiculously special and romantic. The pictures from '04 and your "best trips" made me smile, you guys have so many memories.. awawawawAW.

ALSO - DISNEY DREAM?! We're doing the four night cruise in August, so the fact that I get to see it all laid out in one of your amazing TRs brings my excitement (for you, mostly) to a whole other level.

AH, I'm trying to contain my excitement because we're talking about racism in Soc.. don't judge, you told me to read this while in class.

HAVE AN AMAZING TRIP, congrats, so much love (L)

Ridiculously special and romantic is what I was going for, so that's good, and considering the amount of time you've put in with weddinggawker, I'd call you an expert at weddings! I don't think I knew you had a Dream trip planned for August... is it with the fam? I'm definitely excited to see a family trip report from you after your fabulous girls trip!

I did suggest that my trip report may be good for a boring day in class, but don't tell your professor I said that!

disneygirl1

YAY!!! :sohappy: Almost only a week left to go!

And I can not agree with you MORE!!! Time really is going by too fast these days!

Soaringirl

Holly, I'm so excited it's a single digit countdown! I know exactly what you mean about the smell of the Polynesian. On my first trip to Disney back in 1972 when I was 10, my family and I monorailed over and had drinks (Shirley Temples) in the lounge one day. I can still smell the lobby today. I fell in love with the place and I knew I would come back one day and stay there. It wasn't until Sept. 2009 that my dream came true. I had had a pretty rough year with two surgeries and my mother's death. We planned the usual week at WDW at POFQ for my daughter's birthday. But my husband surprised me with a trip to the Poly for 10 days. (like Brett surprised you for your engagement trip). It's not possible to put into words exactly how I felt at the time, but honestly if it makes any sense, I can smell it. Every time I look at the pictures or the leis, I smell the Poly. I know that for the rest of your lives you will associate the Polynesian with love and joy just like I do and it will be fantastic. Much Happiness always,

Gloria

TakeMeThere81

IMG_6327.jpg

woohoo!!! I love the 10-day forcast!! And I totally 'get' the smell and sound thing!! Ahhh, yes, it is lovely. So excited for you girl!!

pcrum

Hi Hollybelle:

I was so glad to see your pre-wedding trip report was up! It won't be long now until your wonderful wedding. The weather in Orlando has been gorgeous, so I am praying it holds out for your special day!

I love all the customized home-made touches of your wedding...it's so nice to have your personal signature on such an important day! You are lucky that your mom is so crafty...I truly find it a challenge to sew on a button, so I do admire people who can actually go into a craft store without hyperventilating, as I do!!

I was amazed at the prices Disney charges to have characters attend the weddings. That is outrageous considering what Disney is actually paying the characters per hour. Such a huge profit margin for them!! That being said, it is so nice to get a package from Disney where everything is included, so you don't have to go to separate vendors for flowers, cake, etc.

We will be thinking of you next Friday (yes, it's that soon). Best wishes for a wondefrul wedding and a lifetime of happiness. I will be looking for the honeymoon trip report as well!

All the Best,

Pam

HollyBelle

Original Poster
YAY!!! :sohappy: Almost only a week left to go!

And I can not agree with you MORE!!! Time really is going by too fast these days!

The last few days disintegrated into thin air, and not being able to check in here was brutal! :ROFLOL:

Holly, I'm so excited it's a single digit countdown! I know exactly what you mean about the smell of the Polynesian. On my first trip to Disney back in 1972 when I was 10, my family and I monorailed over and had drinks (Shirley Temples) in the lounge one day. I can still smell the lobby today. I fell in love with the place and I knew I would come back one day and stay there. It wasn't until Sept. 2009 that my dream came true. I had had a pretty rough year with two surgeries and my mother's death. We planned the usual week at WDW at POFQ for my daughter's birthday. But my husband surprised me with a trip to the Poly for 10 days. (like Brett surprised you for your engagement trip). It's not possible to put into words exactly how I felt at the time, but honestly if it makes any sense, I can smell it. Every time I look at the pictures or the leis, I smell the Poly. I know that for the rest of your lives you will associate the Polynesian with love and joy just like I do and it will be fantastic. Much Happiness always,

Gloria

Oh, Gloria... I adore your Polynesian story! And I think it's so great that your husband surprised you with it; knowing how much it means to you. Isn't is amazing how physical places can have such a spirit about them?

woohoo!!! I love the 10-day forcast!! And I totally 'get' the smell and sound thing!! Ahhh, yes, it is lovely. So excited for you girl!!

Thanks, Melanee!!

10-day forecast! Getting so close! :)

Thank you for sharing your planning with us. Can't wait to get the Wedding update so soon!

I know, we're within a week now! This morning I checked the 5 day forecast for our arrival day. Thanks, Menise, I can't wait for the wedding update myself!

Hi Hollybelle:

I was so glad to see your pre-wedding trip report was up! It won't be long now until your wonderful wedding. The weather in Orlando has been gorgeous, so I am praying it holds out for your special day!

I love all the customized home-made touches of your wedding...it's so nice to have your personal signature on such an important day! You are lucky that your mom is so crafty...I truly find it a challenge to sew on a button, so I do admire people who can actually go into a craft store without hyperventilating, as I do!!

I was amazed at the prices Disney charges to have characters attend the weddings. That is outrageous considering what Disney is actually paying the characters per hour. Such a huge profit margin for them!! That being said, it is so nice to get a package from Disney where everything is included, so you don't have to go to separate vendors for flowers, cake, etc.

We will be thinking of you next Friday (yes, it's that soon). Best wishes for a wondefrul wedding and a lifetime of happiness. I will be looking for the honeymoon trip report as well!

All the Best,

Pam

Pam! Thanks for stopping in. And you're right, I'm sooo incredibly lucky that my mom is so crafty. It's rubbed off on me a bit, but some of the stuff she comes up with still amazes me. She's been working on something especially fun today; I just hope we have time to get it done before we leave.

Good point about the profit margin with characters! :lol: I'm sure that can be said for so much more when it comes to weddings... Disney or otherwise. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for all the well wishes, Pam, you're so kind. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to do it just yet, but I plan on posting the cruise portion of the trip over on cruisecritic because a few people have mentioned it there. I guess I'll probably post up to that point over here and then do the cruise updates in both places at the same time. But we'll see. I'm getting ahead of myself. :D

SOOOOO Excited for you two!!!!

Me tooooooo! Thanks, Karen!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Okay, so I finally made it through my hell week and here I am... still wishing we had just a little more time to get some things done. Of course, it doesn't help that we "spring forward" tonight. Ugghh I could really use that hour! But hey, looking on the bright side, at least we don't lose an hour next weekend. We're actually at the point where we've prioritized the to-do list and what gets done, gets done. If the things at the bottom of the list don't get done then it'll be okay! It won't make us any less married when it's all said and done! :D :lol:

The 10 day forecast is still looking good; fingers crossed that it stays that way. 4 sleeps and we'll be checking in!

IMG_7247.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster

Printed Materials

Okay, so I'm really excited about this update. I really enjoy scrapbooking and coming up with my own digital embellishments so I decided to make my own printed materials for the wedding. In fact, as weird as this is going to sound, the only time I kinda/sorta wished we were having a bigger wedding was when Brett and I picked up my printed materials from the local copy shop. :lol: Sounds silly, I know. I think if I were to go back and do college all over again, I’d likely wind up in some sort of graphic design related program. Back on track now…

First up, we have the invitation (minus our last names). If the border looks vaguely familiar it’s because I manipulated one of the little tiki guys that’s found on some of the pillars at the Poly. I didn’t make any RSVP cards because it really wasn’t necessary considering the scope of our wedding:

invitation_4x8web.jpg

Once I decided to make my own printed stuff for the wedding, I knew I wanted to play off of the Disney park materials. In fact, I’ll have to share my first (and coolest) project with you when we get back because it involves the “surprise event” we’re trying to keep quiet.

I went back and forth on making a ceremony program, but in the end I decided to make a “times guide” for the whole weekend instead. I love how this turned out… and I incorporated the same border to tie it to the invite. Please disregard the wide looking white border, I had to provide the printer with a good bit of selvage edge to cut off:

wedding_timesguidecopy.jpg

I made a personalized menu for Ohana. I’m still not even sure whether or not they’ll put them out on the table for us before we’re seated, but I was having so much fun making things that I went with it anyway:

menucopy.jpg

Last but not least, I decided to personalize the notebook I’m going to use for this trip. It’s another thing I tied to the invitation, and I love how it came out!

Digital image:

notebook_covercopy.jpg

And here’s the actual notebook (5x7):

IMG_0684-1.jpg

It's a little bigger than I usually use, but I don't actually carry it around with me throughout the day and instead just update it in the evenings, so it should be perfectly fine.

I hope to have at least one or two more updates before we leave… depending on how much time I have!!! I’m sooooooooooooo excited!

HouCuseChickie

WoW!!!! It's getting really close! Can't believe how time has flown. Very excited for you guys! :wave: I also REALLY LOVE the times guide and materials you put together!

Ariel484

Yay! Congrats on making it through hell week!

You definitely have the right attitude about your to-do list. No point in tearing your hair out trying to get everything done at this stage.

Oh my gosh Holly, you are so creative and talented. That stuff looks fabulous! You should definitely frame some of those print-outs after the big day. We framed our invitation, but our leftover programs, which I actually did make, are just boxed up. I should really have one out somewhere. They're nowhere near as good as yours though. The purple is so nice...it looks great.

4 sleeps...woohoo! :sohappy:

Hope you guys have a good last week of not being married and that you don't have too much last-minute craziness...good luck! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom