On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Well if you are concerned about cost of living.. DC shouldn't be high on your list :) Even way out in our suburbs, many drive an hour to work simply because they can't afford to live near where they work :) And I'm not talking about 'commuting to the city' - I'm talking about can't live in suburb ABC, so you live in BFE county and commute in.

Anywhere nice in the DC suburbs costs a fortune. Not SF or NYC... but considering I live 45mins from the city and still have those kind of urban comparisons... that should tell you something :)

Of course you could move out to the country here.. we have really nice stuff out to the west.

In my wife's profession, DC would increase her earning potential enough to more than offset the increased cost of living. And once she's settled in, I can search for a local job that would pay better.

I've tried to convince her to move west, but other than Denver and Portland, she's not interested. She loves to visit, but other than those two cities, she's not interested in being off the east coast, as to be closer to home.

mkt

Premium Member
is this a guess or confirmed?

My termination was by phone call telling me to come in. I came in and was terminated. I asked if I hadn't answered, what would have happened, and was told they would have terminated me with a certified letter.

Termination for consecutive No Call/No Show is by certified letter.

hopemax

After almost an entire lifetime of perpetual summer, it's become a bit boring.
Be warned, we only have 2 seasons here in Denver. It goes from 40-50s to 90 in about 3 weeks, and back the other way. Spring and Fall are edited. Too cold to be outside followed by too hot to be outside. And summer is just brown, and I miss the water. Home for us is the PacNW but we got priced out.

mkt

Premium Member
DC suburbs. Richest per capita county in the country... https://www.loudountimes.com/busine...cle_04019b78-e90d-11e9-b29f-afd4cca3c2e8.html

But note I didn't grow up here..I didn't default into this... I moved here for the same reason many other professionals did 20+ years ago.

We're looking in DC and Fairfax county. She's an insurance attorney transitioning into IP law, so DC, NY, and California are the obvious places. But we don't want to live in NY or California.

The other places we'd consider are "eh, let's see if we can get an offer"

mkt

Premium Member
Just wait till they hear about the changes coming to the WDW AP passes in about a month.

giphy.webp

Lilofan

In my wife's profession, DC would increase her earning potential enough to more than offset the increased cost of living. And once she's settled in, I can search for a local job that would pay better.

I've tried to convince her to move west, but other than Denver and Portland, she's not interested. She loves to visit, but other than those two cities, she's not interested in being off the east coast, as to be closer to home.
Commuters from Fredricksburg, VA to commute to DC. People leave at 530am to make it to work by 730pm and that's in good weather conditions.

sbunit

spending 5k on a vacation is not the sand as spending 10k for a spa or 60k on a pool.

these are not sideways shifts

10k is certainly in play for a vacation and 60k for a certain segment of the population isn’t far fetched either. “Hey we had to cancel our $60k 4 weeks European vacation of a lifetime. You know what let’s re-do the backyard instead.” I’m sure this conversation transpired a few times this year

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom