On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Below are some photo's from my son's trip July 19-23 (Sunday to Thursday).

Multiple headliner rides were walk-on. He experienced Flights of Passage 5 times (was even allowed to cut through the FP+ line at one point), Smuggler's Run 5 times, Test Track 3 times, Space Mountain 5 times, Rock n Roller Coaster 5 times, Expedition Everest 5 times. For most, it was a matter of his group simply getting bored with the attraction and deciding to move on.

Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Train was the longest line, followed by Slinky Dog Dash. (This last because it was down for most of the day.)

Crowds were light throughout the trip, with Disney Hollywood Studios feeling the most crowded, by far.

As his photos show, it was possible to encounter moments of modest crowds but also see the parks nearly empty, with many of his contrasting photos taken within an hour of each other.

These give you a sense of what it was like for my son during his weekday trip in mid-July.

Epcot Sunday Evening:

View attachment 488496

Bridge to Pandora Monday Midday:

View attachment 488497

Leaving Animal Kingdom Monday at 5:30 PM:

View attachment 488498

Magic Kingdom Tuesday Opening:

View attachment 488499

Walkway To Tomorrowland Tuesday Noon:

View attachment 488500

Waiting for Rise Of The Resistance Wednesday at 1 PM:

View attachment 488501

Galaxy's Edge Less than 1 Hour Later:

View attachment 488502

Disney's Hollywood Studios Wednesday Afternoon:

View attachment 488503

One of the more crowded images of Disney's Hollywood Studios:

View attachment 488504
Our recent trip from July 12-22 was the same. I have a couple pics I took when walking into Liberty Square from FL. One each direction toward Frontier and Mansion. They were taken at noon and there’s barely anyone in the shots. One day the MK opened at 9. By 11 we rode Space, 7D, Pooh, Small World, Peter Pan, Mermaid, and HM. 2 hours flat.
Thanks for the posts...very informative.

Yeah...this place is gonna close. I’ll remind this is in the middle of the summer on the academic calendar.
WDPR will save an enormous amount of expense once they officially sever ties with Actors Equity.
No they won’t...but I applaud you for getting an opinion shot in under cloaking device
Huge WDI and Creative layoffs happened this week.
The undeniable first step in the plan where you build NOTHING for a very long time.

Polkadotdress

Disney is still paying for their benefits (e.g insurance). If they get laid off, Disney will save that money. No idea how many people are still furloughed though. I’d assume most are back now since the parks reopened.

There are still many thousands furloughed. From
Just (1) Union alone, there are 12K still furloughed (as of earlier this week):

From the Orlando Sentinel:
Walt Disney World reopened July 11, recalling an undisclosed number of their furloughed 77,000 cast members.

Unite Here Local 737 represents more than 19,000 Walt Disney World workers.

“Only 7,000 have returned to work, leaving 12,000 workers and their families at the mercy of the broken unemployment system," the union said in a statement pushing for an extension to unemployment benefits.

BigThunderMatt

Disney needs to be expanding the CP model, not eliminating it. No grown *** adult should be running a theme park ride for a "career" but people are desperate to work for Disney.

Because full turnover and training every six months made up of a workforce primarily of 18-20somethings looking for a semester off school to party just screams consistently high quality service.

flynnibus

Premium Member
because people aren’t traveling. Whatever discretionary income that is available is being re-routed to other safer forms of entertainment at the expense of the travel industry amongst others

spending 5k on a vacation is not the sand as spending 10k for a spa or 60k on a pool.

these are not sideways shifts

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If WDW has been declining since the 1990s how does one explain the increasing levels of attendance year after year?
Because of a continued trend of increasing airline travel and spending beyond means...

...and it’s still better than six flags or myrtle beach
America is a slaves to debt, you can't take it with you mindset. That's why some even I know have no retirement savings or plan to, and complain they can't get ahead.
i think you’re right
Because it’s still better than Six Flags. But even the most casual repeat visitors notice that they’re paying more for lesser quality each year.

Correct
that would not cover the change in spending.

people are buying more big luxury items
I think you’re right too

flynnibus

Premium Member
But I also reject the notion that everyone should trade in pursuing their dreams in favor of something they don't enjoy just because it is a safer choice. Not everyone wants that.

I don't care if its your dream.., know what hou are getting into and be prepared for what it will extract of you.

you can't deny the numbers that go in and fail because they let their dream turn off their brain

brianstl

This is the first I've seen a report that such layoffs did happen.

But... it's odd that this wasn't more well known. People who get laid off tend to post about it on social media. Then it gets picked up by mainstream mass media.

🤷‍♂️
don’t know if the layoffs happened or not, but the level of the employee would impact the likelihood of them going on social media and talking about it. The higher up they are, the more likely they are to realize it is better to keep that stuff out of your social media to protect your future job prospects. Plus, there could be specific things in a severance package forbidding the employee from certain actions if they want to get everything in the severance package.

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If WDW has been declining since the 1990s how does one explain the increasing levels of attendance year after year?

Two reasons:
1- A well integrated communications strategy that has made regular visits to Disney a rite of passage in the US (as well as other countries).
2- Making the parks more accessible to people that are a reasonably short drive away (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama) with monthly payment plans on annual passes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom