Ohana Menu Change

epcotfan

AH. It figures. I just dined there for the first time on my birthday, this past July. I was pleasantly surprised at the meal. I really loved the flavour of the rice and the pineapple and caramel. Rice fits in much better with the Polynesian/Island theming. Why do they have to dumb down every meal with potatoes? UGH. I get my fill of french fries in the parks, so rice is a nice change. If I wanted potatoes au gratin I'd go to a steakhouse or restaurant that served homey cuisine. Bread pudding is only good if it is prepared correctly. If it isn't it can be nasty. I thought the pineapple was a nice finish to the meal. Not too heavy and very fresh and a nice change from the overly heavy desserts served elsewhere.

Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me that Disney constantly turns good restaurant fare into bland, boring cuisine.

This was one restaurant I definitely planned on going back to because it was different. They've just lost my business. :(

BRER STITCH

tigsmom said:
The meal here is so different from the generic burger/fries/chicken fingers and they have a very loyal following. Change for change sake is not always a good thing.

That is the real point, TIGSMOM! :wave:
O'Hana is slowly losing it's identity as a place to get "different" food. Not everyone can live on WDW burgers and pizza for a week....nor would we WANT to! :lol:

I LOVE the phrase that CRI-KEE used earlier:

"...each year WDW brings itself closer to the ordinary."

Sadly, that's not good for the guests.

righttrack

Ohana has just left my Ohana. Sad to hear, that something so great, and so successful could be ruined. I would like to speak with who's responsible and ask, "What were you thinking?". I really need to understand, why.

MSTINKHERBELL01

DiPSU224 said:
The shrimp does not bother me, as I don't like seafood, but I still can't get over the rice!! I love the wontons as well, but is it still unconfirmed that they are also going? I will still have to eat there again to decide whether or not it will continue to be a place we eat every visit. Who knows, maybe I'll love the new potatoes. :(

I agree...I dont eat seafood and when I dined at Ohana..I asked the chef if he could prepare the food for our table without the shrimp touching my other food...and asked "our cousin" if they couldnt bring the shrimp out w/o it touching the other skewers of meat. I know it's strange but I have anxiety about seafood (long story):cry: . I will have to try the potatoes...I loveeeee potatoes! I honestly prefer the new choices...but then again I'm not a seafood person at all and wasnt married to the menu...I can understand how it affects everyone and hope that the change isnt permanent.

tigsmom

righttrack said:
Ohana has just left my Ohana. Sad to hear, that something so great, and so successful could be ruined. I would like to speak with who's responsible and ask, "What were you thinking?". I really need to understand, why.

Then call the restaurant and ask to speak to the chef.

Yellow Shoes

In 1993 my Dad started a tradition of taking each grandchild to WDW as a 5th birthday present. (Lucky me, with 3 kids!)

On that first trip, he and I marveled about how "Uncle Walt" (as we called him) did so many things so well. We marveled at the subtle but effective crowd control techniques, the fact that you don't see golf carts full of garbage driving through the park, all of those things that make WDW above the ordinary.

But we were equally amazed at how consistently bad the food was. "If Uncle Walt can put on a parade like this, why can't he make a decent burger and serve it hot?"

Most of the food was edible, but never memorable.

In 2002 I went with my husband and kids and we did more table service. I do think that the food had improved in 9 years.

That said, our dinner in 2002 at 'Ohana was superb. In 2004 it was so-so.

Perhaps we are in a decline again.

I agree with a lot of you--it really isn't the cheesy potatoes (heaven knows I love 'em), but the fact that rice fits in better with the theme of 'Ohana. Disney used to be all about the theme and story (different trashcans in each "land" of MK, different shower curtains at Caribbean Beach than at Animal Kingdom Lodge), and was one of the things that made WDW different from Six Flags.

darrin

You're right, Disney seems to be slowly losing the ideas of extending the "show" from the main attraction to bring people closer to that sense of "magic" and being a part of the show. Management is making so many stupid decisions based on what "they" think guest's want. Change for change sake IS really dumb. My
family and I have never had dinner at O'hana, don't know if we ever will. WDW is a place of perception, imagination, and pure fun. To take away certain "staples" of what makes an attraction or restaurant what it is to guests, is just plain wrong. WDW (Disney), was meant to be a change in direction from "the ordinary". Burgers/fries/chicken fingers on every corner isn't going to keep guest's staying in the parks for meals. I really hope the "burgers/fries/fingers on every corner" mentality doesn't continue to filter into more of that perception and magic. We'll continue to vacation at WDW...at least until WDW becomes
ordinary.

PhilharMagician

Yeah, but look at the busiest restaurants and they are serving burgers/fries/chicken fingers. Even when you go to nice restaurants like 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Hollywood and Vine or Cape May Cafe I see adults always eating chicken fingers, meatballs, mac and cheese or pizza from the kids buffet. So is managment looking at numbers of people eating these foods and trying to accomodate them? We will probably never know. I do agree that the themed restaurants need to keep with the themes and if people do not like the food they like then they should go to a restaurant that serves food they like.

Also on a point about the current dining plan I could not believe the people in restaurants during such a slow time. Two weeks ago it was very slow, but all of the restaurants were packed. I was amazed at the lunch crowds in nice sit down restuarants eating steaks, ordering appetizers and eating desert. Disney has to be losing money or at least not making any with this plan. One thing they definately accomplished is to fill all the seats in the restaurants. I even had trouble making a advanced reservation for Crystal Palace at 97 days out for Nov 30th for any open time. It is my DD's B-day so I kept pushing and some how got a seating.

darrin

point well taken re: the parents sharing the kids' meals. Can't say My wife and I
aren't guilty of that one, occassionally...With the portion sizes on some of those meals, it's hard not to share w/the kids to save on a little $$.

tigsmom

PhilharMagician said:
Yeah, but look at the busiest restaurants and they are serving burgers/fries/chicken fingers. Even when you go to nice restaurants like 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Hollywood and Vine or Cape May Cafe I see adults always eating chicken fingers, meatballs, mac and cheese or pizza from the kids buffet. So is managment looking at numbers of people eating these foods and trying to accomodate them? We will probably never know. I do agree that the themed restaurants need to keep with the themes and if people do not like the food they like then they should go to a restaurant that serves food they like...

Which brings us back to why not add these new dishes and give people a choice?

I have to say that while I do like burgers/fries/chickens fingers (along with the rest you mentioned) I can get them anywhere. Every once in awhile you like to have something different, unique. Thats how I feel about 'Ohana... it is unique.

AMartin767

I called and spoke personally with the Customer Relations Manager for Ohana's. Or Rather, left and message and he called me back. He was very professional and understanding of my concern over the menu change.

I can honestly say, after a 15 minute or so conversation, I was truly impressed with the changes they have in store. I wanted to share what was conveyed to me in as much as I can remember the conversation.

I was assured that the shrimp would be prepared with the same seasonings and flavorings but steamed, not grilled. They will be served at the table and WILL BE ALL YOU CAN EAT. I distinctly asked him to repeat that fact to me and he did.

The pineapple and caramel is definitely going away. He assured me that they had received "numerous", I didn't ask for specific numbers, of complaints from guests that the Pineapple and caramel was not being viewed as a "dessert" and many guests felt they were being shorted on the dessert portion of the meal. The bread pudding will also include Ice Cream... Vanillia if memory serves correct.

Also, the Wontons are going away but are being replaced with a wonton flavored "chip" of some kind. Also, the beans are being replaced with a vegetable medley.

An addition to the menu will actually be a throwback to the past. I was told that their was a "polynesian sausage" that use to be served at Ohana's in the past that was coming back onto the menu with a twist.

I was assured that the entire change will bring a more organized presentation to the food and better service. It was indicated that the chefs have been working on these changes for a while now and feel that they are only making a change for the better.

He also made mention of the recent change to the "cheesy" potatoes from the rice and that they are going over very well with recent diners.

I hope this helps to ease the concern for many on the board. My wife and I, like many of you, mark Ohana's as one of our favorites restaurants anywhere let alone at WDW. I will be approaching the new menu with an open expectation and some excitement. The different menu changes sounded very appealing after my discussion with The Manager.

I'm sorry I did not get the gentleman's name as I would like to acknowledge him here and thank him sincerely for being so kind to take the time to talk with me at length over my concern. This was a great example of GOOD SHOW!

tigsmom

AMartin767 said:
I called and spoke personally with the Customer Relations Manager for Ohana's. Or Rather, left and message and he called me back. He was very professional and understanding of my concern over the menu change.

I can honestly say, after a 15 minute or so conversation, I was truly impressed with the changes they have in store. I wanted to share what was conveyed to me in as much as I can remember the conversation. ...

Thanks! Some of my concerns were answered (love my shrimp) and I can understand their reasoning, but au gratin potatoes (no matter how good) will never be a polynesian dish to me. :lol:

brich

Thanks for the info AMartin767 :D
Although I still wish the rice and pineapple were staying.... :cry:
Here's hoping Epcot get's an Ireland pavillion where we can go to enjoy poi... :rolleyes:

DonaldDoleWhip

Relief. All-you-can-eat-shrimp is here to stay! (?) Hope that wasn't fudged (I sure don't like my WDW fudge, especially 20K)

Are they keeping the a la carte dessert menu? If they are, why get rid of the classic pineapple in exchange for bread pudding (even if the occasional psychotic woman does complain)? Some people enjoy refreshing fruit and dip over generically prepared food (yes, I know it comes with ice cream).

Sausage is great. But what's the twist? Is it sausage...on a roll served with french fries?

You made me much calmer...but Ohana will still never be the same...

shoppingnut

AMartin767 said:
I was assured that the shrimp would be prepared with the same seasonings and flavorings but steamed, not grilled. They will be served at the table and WILL BE ALL YOU CAN EAT. I distinctly asked him to repeat that fact to me and he did.

The pineapple and caramel is definitely going away. He assured me that they had received "numerous", I didn't ask for specific numbers, of complaints from guests that the Pineapple and caramel was not being viewed as a "dessert" and many guests felt they were being shorted on the dessert portion of the meal. The bread pudding will also include Ice Cream... Vanillia if memory serves correct.

Also, the Wontons are going away but are being replaced with a wonton flavored "chip" of some kind. Also, the beans are being replaced with a vegetable medley.

An addition to the menu will actually be a throwback to the past. I was told that their was a "polynesian sausage" that use to be served at Ohana's in the past that was coming back onto the menu with a twist.

Thanks for the info. I'm so gald to hear about the shrimp since that is the one thing I would eat. Wonton flavored chip, hmmm, sounds like chinese take out noodles they give you with your soup to me.

I'm still very upset about the pineapple. I'm sorry I can have vanilla ice cream anywhere I want and I don't want some mushy stuff for dessert. The pineapple was at least heathy for you, even with the carmel sauce.

I recall the sausage being on the menu from way back. Somehow veggies don't feel poly to me. And as far as cheese potatoes, I can eat those at cracker barrel if I wanted them that bad.

PhilharMagician

brich said:
Thanks for the info AMartin767 :D
Although I still wish the rice and pineapple were staying.... :cry:
Here's hoping Epcot get's an Ireland pavillion where we can go to enjoy poi... :rolleyes:

Epcot does have a pavillion that represents Ireland called UK.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom