Ohana Menu Change

scottnj1966

we will see

elle72688 said:
I saw this posted over on the Dis Boards and the OP is a CM at 'Ohanas so I thought I would copy it and paste it here.

Will let you know when I am having dinner again at ohana's. We got alot.

bgraham34

I cant believe they want to make so many changes. Why not just make it a Pizza Hut Buffet. They would probably work better.

jholiiday

brich said:
Being a jerk is a pet peeve or the plural of Shrimps and Pineapples? Because if it's the Shrimps and Pineapples, wouldn't that make them peeves? :lookaroun
:D :animwink:

Ooh - good catch! Look at my snarkiness blowing up in my face!

jholiiday

MSTINKHERBELL01 said:
jholiiday said:
Hmm.

The plural form of Shrimp, is Shrimp. The Plural form of Pineapple, is Pineapple. Just so some of you know.

QUOTE]

Welcome to the boards!

I have to admit that at times I have been known to type a word incorrectly or say something incorrectly....I joined this board for fun not school. I know some are very particular about spelling and all that...and I say :sohappy: to you all. Just wanted to add my name to the list of people you may be correcting from time to time....I personally don't think you're a jerk...just a nerd...and nerds are cool and sometimes cute:p :lol: .

It isn't so much spelling, it just drives me nuts when people use the wrong tense, or a word that doesn't exist - it probably stems from childhood... My mother is a worse than a 7th grade english teacher (and she's actually a nurse!)

wannab@dis

Shrike said:
<!--StartFragment -->Fresh and new things are important to the success of any business. Growth does not come from stagnancy.

Acquiesce!

plagiarism -- the ultimate admiration. right? :rolleyes:

If you're going to write out my exact posts from other threads, at least be nice enough to utilize the quote feature. Thanks!

Discmen

I think that the pluralization of "shrimp" is a regional thing. I am from the north, and we always just say "shrimp", but when I lived down south for a while they pluralized it to Shrimps. Same with sausages. Though the plural of crawfish was crawfish. Odd. And no, I am not sure that pluralization is even a word.

It is good to hear that the shrimp is all you can eat, and I am excited to see if it has a tendency to be less overcooked than when grilled. This isn't just a problem at Ohana, its tough to time shrimp when grilled at home.

jholiiday

Discmen said:
I think that the pluralization of "shrimp" is a regional thing. I am from the north, and we always just say "shrimp", but when I lived down south for a while they pluralized it to Shrimps. Same with sausages. Though the plural of crawfish was crawfish. Odd. And no, I am not sure that pluralization is even a word.

It is good to hear that the shrimp is all you can eat, and I am excited to see if it has a tendency to be less overcooked than when grilled. This isn't just a problem at Ohana, its tough to time shrimp when grilled at home.

It is - :sohappy:

(From webster.com)

Main Entry: plu·ral·ize
Pronunciation: 'plur-&-"lIz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -ized; -iz·ing
: to make plural or express in the plural form
- plu·ral·i·za·tion /"plur-&-l&-'zA-____&n/ noun

Anyway - I know it tends to be a more southern tendency, but it still irks me..

I'll shut up about it now, because, in all honestly, I'm a pretty laid back guy most of the time..

(I swear!)

:wave:

poohbr2015

Ohana Change, NOT for the good!

I am disappointed to hear that the menu has changed at Ohana. For years my family and I would make it a point to get PS for Ohana on each visit to Disney, sometimes more than twice a year. We loved the lazy susan appetizers, and the too die for grilled shrimp. Most of all, we loved the pineapple and caramel sauce. That was the perfect ending to a perfect meal. Years back they used to serve mini eggrolls as an appetizer and that of course was taken away just like everything else that we loved so much. Some of my family was recently down in February and said they felt like they were eating at a restaurant at home, it no longer felt special. Hearing that, I am truly thinking about cancelling our reservation for Ohana next week. We vacation in Disney several times a year and always make advanced reservations, we have a list of restaurants in Walt Disney World that we have to visit each time. I am sad to say that Ohana may end up being taken off the list. Why do they always have to change a GOOD THING?:(

speck76

although it was good for you, perhaps it was not good for the majority of people.....or perhaps the food cost was too high, so, instead of raising the menu price, they cut some costs

goofyfan13

Original Poster
poohbr2015 said:
I am disappointed to hear that the menu has changed at Ohana. For years my family and I would make it a point to get PS for Ohana on each visit to Disney, sometimes more than twice a year. We loved the lazy susan appetizers, and the too die for grilled shrimp. Most of all, we loved the pineapple and caramel sauce. That was the perfect ending to a perfect meal. Years back they used to serve mini eggrolls as an appetizer and that of course was taken away just like everything else that we loved so much. Some of my family was recently down in February and said they felt like they were eating at a restaurant at home, it no longer felt special. Hearing that, I am truly thinking about cancelling our reservation for Ohana next week. We vacation in Disney several times a year and always make advanced reservations, we have a list of restaurants in Walt Disney World that we have to visit each time. I am sad to say that Ohana may end up being taken off the list. Why do they always have to change a GOOD THING?:(

Nice bump, and I'm not just saying that because I started this thread...:lookaroun :lol:

Seriously though, I ate there 3 weeks ago, and didn't mind the changes too much. Here are some observations I made:

• I think the presentation is more professional (not sure if people like that, but I though it was alright)
  • I enjoyed having more salad available, and them bringing more chicken wings and the steamed shrimp to start
  • The pork sausage was alright, nothing special, but I don't mind it replacing the shrimp because the way the shrimp is cooked now is better IMO
  • The potatoes are really good
  • Steak, pork, and turkey is just as good as always
  • The bread pudding is good, especially with the bananas foster sauce, not sure if I agree with them dropping the pineapple, but the new dessert is good.
  • My biggest gripe with the changes is portions, the size of the bread pudding was pretty small. On top of that, it appeared that they brought out a lot of the appetizers in stages and in pretty decent size so you'll fill up on those, and not eat a lot of meat

All in all the changes aren't bad, some are good, some... "meh". I would suggest trying it out, I enjoyed some of the changes, and wasn't dissapointed. I won't go as much as I used to, but I'll definately go again down the road.

goofyfan13

Original Poster
speck76 said:
although it was good for you, perhaps it was not good for the majority of people.....or perhaps the food cost was too high, so, instead of raising the menu price, they cut some costs

I think this hit the nail right on the head. As stated in my post earily, it seemed like the way things are set up they are trying to get you to eat more of the appetizers vs. the meats. So I can see them doing that to cut down on food costs.

wannab@dis

We ate there in Dec and was impressed with the new menu. Of course, the pineapple and caramel was missed, but overall, the food was excellent. We did notice our service was a little lacking, but I believe it was a server issue and not a problem overall. Other tables around us had excellent service, well, with the exception of the ones with the same server as us.

The breakfast, however, was perfect in every regards! The service was awesome and food was really good.

lawyergirl77

goofyfan13 said:
I think this hit the nail right on the head. As stated in my post earily, it seemed like the way things are set up they are trying to get you to eat more of the appetizers vs. the meats. So I can see them doing that to cut down on food costs.
I certainly didn't mind - those chicken wings were REEEALLY good!

I walked out of that meal (on my birthday - hee!) feeling more stuffed than I have felt in a looong time, including at Disney World!! :lol: We all really liked it, including the potatoes. We had no troubles getting refills on any of the meats or dishes - we figured out quite quickly what we loved and we had them keep it coming! :lol:

I'm also not normally a big fan of bread pudding, but I still have dreams about that dessert at O'hana... :slurp: I was so full it hurt at that point, but I couldn't stop eating it!

What I wouldn't give to be there right now...
*pokes at her anemic salad at her desk at work* :cry:

Mr.EPCOT

I liked the new sausages, and the chip things, but I sorely miss the rice and grilled shrimp. The steamed shrimp were okay, but I think it'd be a bonus if they just grilled them for your appetizer, instead of just steaming them. I especially miss the pineapple and caramel for dessert. I never even eat pineapple otherwise, it seems like! I'm sorry, but the banana stuff didn't do anything for me at all.

GoofyMom2

We have a PS for Ohana for our next trip (4 weeks!!)......I am looking forward to trying it. Will post a report when we come back.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
GoofyMom2 said:
We have a PS for Ohana for our next trip (4 weeks!!)......I am looking forward to trying it. Will post a report when we come back.

We will require pictures.....at least then I can print the pictures out, place them over the top of my non-disney boring food, and feel better about my meal.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom