Ohana Menu Change

bgraham34

I am rather sad. My wife and I love the pineapple and caramel. I dont care for bread pudding. We are thinking of cancelling our reservations.

Discmen

I find it unlikely that WDW got it's shrimp from the gulf coast. They most likely use the farm raised shrimp from Asia which is frozen. BTW, it doesn't make me a "pig" if I want a second portion of shrimp at an all you care to eat rest. It makes me think of Homer being thrown out of the all you can eat seafood buffet, successfully suing, and being given a job as basically a sideshow freak in the front window. Ohanah is not cheap, and one of the draws was the grilled shrimp, because the meat tends to be overcooked. I will try it again later this month, and see how I feel.

shoppingnut

Ewww, bread pudding, gross and totally not polynesian at all. They are making the restaurants very generic, what's next chicken fingers on a skewer. This is very disappointing, I totally loved the pineapple.

I'm sure that there is some idiot who decided that a change was necessary that doesn't have clue one about O'hana's and the people that frequent it. Of all the restaurants on property O'hana's is one that I've heard most people say we go back there every trip. Now they are going to alienate their frequent visitors, great decision.

I doubt the shrimp thing is because of Katrina, a menu change doesn't happen overnight, nothing happens quickly at disney, they are bureaucratic operation to say the least. I'm sure this has been in the works for months.

New2WDW

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Man, I setup a PS at Ohana's and it would be our first time and some of the things that I was excited about trying were the Fried Rice and Pineapple because my girls love these type items and now with just a few weeks to go there GONE!:eek:

They have also closed the Living Seas at Epcot which we were going to visit for the first time! My vacation that I planned is being cancelled! I am going to have to reinvestigate what is going on! I am actually very disappointed because these items were on our New2dolist! :mad:

brich

Shrike said:
<!--StartFragment -->Fresh and new things are important to the success of any business. Growth does not come from stagnancy.

Acquiesce!
True.... But does Ohana need to grow? It always looks plenty busy when I'm in there. Cheesey potatos and bread pudding aren't what comes to my mind when thinking of a Polynesian theme. Pineapple and the Poly rice, in my mind, better represent the theme. I suppose pizza would be a good change there too. :eek:

imagineersrock

Wow, that is very disappointing to hear considering I LOVED the rice and pineapples and am not a huge potato or pudding fan.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this when I eat there on Saturday... and possibly leave a complaint with someone if it affects my overall experience.

Mgkcjohnson

I went to Ohana for the 1st last week and had the cheesy potatoes... very good. Never had the rice so I can't compare. The food IMO was decent at best, not great. The shrimp was not that great either. I don't know about steaming the shrimp though... the whole novelty of the place is fire grilling everything right in front of you. It was a fun place to go and I might go again sometime. Regarding the comment about Disney losing money because of the success of free dining plans- last week while I was there, the parks were not crowded at all. The free dining plan was implemented to bring in people to spend money in other areas while giving them free food, rather than not have any people there at all... the free dining is not overcrowding restaurants like people said it would, nor is it making the parks overcrowded. I think it is doing what it was intended to do.. bring in more people than would be there ordinarily for this time of year, but far from overcrowding it..

speck76

K&K said:
It is possible that shrimp is being limited because of Katrinia. The region hit has strong shrimp boating ties. Industry could have taken a hit, cause the price to increase. This is just a best guess.

doubtful......but possible

BRER STITCH

speck76 said:
Changes do not take place for "no reason whatsoever".....there had to be some type of catalyst to initiate the change.......

I had not heard that they shrimp would not be grilled, just that they would now be served in a bowl, and not "all you can eat"....most likely this is because shrimp is not cheap, and there are many people that think all-you-can-eat means "sit around and pig-out for hours on end". It sounds like the casual shrimp eater will still get plenty to eat, but the pigs that used to take advantage of the menu may no longer be as satisfied.

I did not use the phrase "no reason whatsoever" that you attribute to me, so not sure what are referring to there. There is, naturally, a catalyst for every change, but nobody has to agreee with the change itself.

The original poster mentioned the change from grilled shrimp, so I went along with it.

YOU are assuming, by your post, that the change was due to cost-cutting.

Enjoying a delicious skewer of grilled shrimp or two with the rest of a meal was already figured into the price guests paid for the meal. If that's all people are eating, then the restaurant is certainly saving money on steak and turkey! To address your concern, the better solution would have been to raise the price to cover the additional shrimp costs and keep the guests pleased... not change the menu to exclude food for which the majority of your guests already enjoy and pay.

I've dined at O'Hana over a dozen times and I have not once seen a pig in there. Maybe you were thinking of the luau....

My post was meant to reflect an entirely different feeling, remembering special moments shared over pineapple and shrimp.
Like others, some of the magic may have been lost for me at O'Hana with these changes.

We don't care why the changes were made....only that they were. :)

Not every post needs to be challenged and corrected.

:wave:

BRER STITCH

Cri-Kee said:
It seems that every year I lose a little more of what I love most about WDW. It is great to get new rides and experiences, but to lose the things that make my WDW vactions special is heart breaking. I guess I will have to add Ohanas to my list. I am very sad to hear that the pinnapples and caramel are no longer going to be served. It seems to me that each year WDW brings itself closer to the ordinary. The little things that make WDW special is the reason I travel over 1000 miles to go there. I love WDW and hate to be negative but it is hard when these things happen.

Hi CRI-KEE! :wave:

..and Thank You!

That is exactly the spirit which I intended to convey with my post.
Some folks may not agree or understand such feelings, but that's what makes the rest of us more special! :lol:

I think you summed up my concern perfectly with the line:

"...each year WDW brings itself closer to the ordinary."

For the memories we can be thankful....for the future we can hope!

:)

Laura

Premium Member
Ugh this stinks. I actually only eat 2 things at 'Ohana off the adult menu - the rice and the pineapple dessert. Other than that I just share my daughter's mac n cheese. So basically they eliminated the only foods I eat there. Not sure if its even worth it to eat there now - I'd be paying $30 to eat half a bowl of mac n cheese!

hcswingfield

SANDKRUSER said:
My newsletter from Allears.net said the cheesy potato replacement was already in place and the pineapple was going to be implemented in a week or so. I, too, have reservations for mid-October and am very disappointed. The rice and especially the pineapple were one of my favorite things. My son loves both of these and the shrimp was his favorite. Wondering if I want to keep my reservations. :(

Looks like they are converting the menu to take out all the Polynesian food.

tigsmom

wannabeBelle said:
Any idea when all of this is taking place?? I have a PS there for early October. Belle

From this weeks ALL EARS Newsletter:

"On Monday, August 29, the menu was the same, but on Thursday,
September 1, the pineapple with caramel sauce for dessert was
changed to bread pudding with vanilla ice cream. This is a
permanent change, and our waiter also informed us that other
items will be changing. The wontons will go, the fried rice will
go, scalloped potatoes have already replaced the rice, and more
changes are to come. The worst news is that the fire-grilled
shrimp will be replaced with a skillet of shrimp".

Add me to the list of those not very happy with this at all.

Laura

Premium Member
Hey does anyone know if 'Ohana will cook any of the food without spices if you request it? I would eat so much more there if it wasn't spicy.

wannabeBelle

Laura22 said:
Hey does anyone know if 'Ohana will cook any of the food without spices if you request it? I would eat so much more there if it wasn't spicy.
Hi Laura, The have done so on the Shrimp for me in the past. I dont know if this is going to be an issue going foward as they are taking out all of the items that make O'Hanas the unique wonderful place it was to eat at!!! Belle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom