Ohana Menu Change

mhead

Good info - but I still do not plan to go back. I believe they may claim to have had numerous complaints - but I certainly have never seen or heard any complaints the MANY times we have been there. These changes coupled with the fact that the service we had the last few visits (which was bad...I mean would have been bad for McDonald's much less O'hana) has made us decide to go elsewhere.

epcot2004

Cheap Cheap Cheap!! I can just picture theses "guys" sitting around a conference table trying to figure out how to save money. Eliminate the nearly $5 pineapple and whip up a tub of bread pudding and slop that in front of people instead. They continue to dilute the Disney experience with moves like this. Very generic. As far a desert goes the pineapple is (was) one of my favorites. :mad:

MiklCraw4d

Yellow Shoes said:
...and so shall I, to another restaurant.

You said it, brother...

I'm not sure exactly what they're going for here. Ohana is always a must-do for my friends and I, so I've been there at many different times of year and it's always packed. I mean, *packed*. It's usually hard to get PS at any time other than like 10:30 at night. I can't imagine they're changing it because of popularity issues.

My brother and I were shocked the other week when they went and they gave us the potatoes. I must say they were very good, but they don't really fit the theme. I let them slide on the taters but the rest of this stuff might really finish it for me. As dumb as it sounds, we always really looked forward to that pineapple. I would even coax newbies into going with us by talking at length about the pineapple. Mmm... pineapple.

When you throw in the wontons and grilled shrimp, you're really killing the experience for me.

And what is up with the bread pudding craze? I noticed it at like three different restaurants this time around. What's up with the sudden WDW bread pudding obsession?

MiklCraw4d

elle72688 said:
How disappointing. Frist they took off the green beans, then the rice, then the shrimp, now the pineapple...and to think I have to ADR's for Ohana on my upcoming trip. I will give the new menu a try and see how it is, but something tells me my second ADR will be getting changed to Kona.

For those of us who remember the early, early days of Ohana it's even worse... they had this AWESOME lo mein with salmon wayyyy back in the day. That stuff was fantastic. My brother and I still wax poetic about it...

scottnj1966

Went Sat night. The last couple times they had the scalloped potatoes. They are awesome. It replaced the rice, you can still get white rice if you ask.
The shrimp are still grilled. no change
No pineapple, bread pudding is excellent. You can still get pineapple and carmel if you ask, but it is not the same, from a can i think and not a fancy cut.

still an awesome restaurant. We go alot

DonaldDoleWhip

...White rice isn't Ohana rice...

...Canned pineapple isn't Ohana pineapple...

It's great to hear the restaurant is still a winner...it'll just never be the same.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
tigsmom said:
One bowl of shrimp per table. Don't know how large the shrimp are, how they are spiced or cooked.

Well Id really have to question the value of a visit now. very few of my clan eat pork, one dosent eat steak so it really limits choice for the main part of the meal.

I suppose the other point is that Im not exactly going to struggle to finds somewhere else to go to instead.

tigsmom

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Well Id really have to question the value of a visit now. very few of my clan eat pork, one dosent eat steak so it really limits choice for the main part of the meal.

I suppose the other point is that Im not exactly going to struggle to finds somewhere else to go to instead.

In another post (sorry, don't remember who) they were told its still all you want. Maybe that helps you out.

Discmen

I eat at a great Brazilian resturant in NYC, which serves in the same style as Ohana, and sausage is one of the best items on the menu. The other thing they serve there is turkey that is cut into pieces and wrapped in bacon. This would be a great menu change at Ohana as the turkey was seriously dry last time I ate there. The loss of the wontons is really a bummer though. They were my wife's favorite things on the menu. As a healthily overweight American male, however, I'll take potatoes with cheese over rice any time.

PhilharMagician

Discmen said:
I eat at a great Brazilian resturant in NYC, which serves in the same style as Ohana, and sausage is one of the best items on the menu. The other thing they serve there is turkey that is cut into pieces and wrapped in bacon. This would be a great menu change at Ohana as the turkey was seriously dry last time I ate there. The loss of the wontons is really a bummer though. They were my wife's favorite things on the menu. As a healthily overweight American male, however, I'll take potatoes with cheese over rice any time.

I have heard many people on the thread complain about how the turkey and pork were dry. We were there about 2 weeks ago and the turkey was amazingly moist and flavorful and the same goes for the pork. The potatoes were very good. I just wish they could still offer a choice between pinapple of bread pudding. I do like pineapple to cleans the palette after the meal, but I do not like dipping it into carmel. Just to sweet.

tigsmom

PhilharMagician said:
I have heard many people on the thread complain about how the turkey and pork were dry. We were there about 2 weeks ago and the turkey was amazingly moist and flavorful and the same goes for the pork. The potatoes were very good. I just wish they could still offer a choice between pinapple of bread pudding. I do like pineapple to cleans the palette after the meal, but I do not like dipping it into carmel. Just to sweet.

The enzymes also aid in digestion, which after a meat heavy meal is always welcome.

The meats were moist when we ate there last also, maybe it just depends on who is watching the fire.

elle72688

I saw this posted over on the Dis Boards and the OP is a CM at 'Ohanas so I thought I would copy it and paste it here.

New Ohana menu rolls out....
okay guys, here's the scoop! New menu rolls out next Wed. (Sept 14th).
Guests will be greeted with wonton CHIPS, and 3 dipping sauces...Poly Harissa (a spicy red pepper chili garlic sauce), Chimichurri (olive oil, oregano, garlic), and the old stand by Peanut! Then Ohana salad will be tossed table side (they've decided to add shredded carrots to the mix), and the honey lime will stay on the greens. Then honey coriander chicken wings and the new shrimp will hit the table. The shrimp is the same size and marinated with the same sauce that was on the grill, but they're adding chunks of pineapple (sort of the sweet and sour that was on the wontons...and yes, the wontons are no more. Just to let you know though, the old shimp and vegie wontons may be tossed in with the wonton chips until the supply is used up.) The shrimp is still unlimited. After the chicken and shrimp course, the table will be cleared and dishes will be replaced. (guests are welcome to request more chicken and shrimp to go along with the skewers) Then skewers will be brought along with potatoes and vegies. To finish off the meal, the bread pudding will be served. There's a new maritini to go with the bread pudding. It's called Yellow Tang (named after a fish). (the martini is awesome) It's banana liquor, butterscotch schnapps, and Frangellica shaken with pineapple and sour mix and it's served with a cinnamon and sugar rimmed glass.

So, there's the new menu guys. Hopefully everyone enjoys. Go easy on us for the first few weeks. It's going to be a challenge getting used to the new flow of service. We'll do our best.

I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks!

Lauriebar

I wonder why they didn't replace the pineapple/caramel dessert with pineapple upside down cake? It seems to me that if people were complaining about the pineapple/caramel not being a "real" dessert that substituting the cake would make the dessert seem more substantial yet keep the pineapple for the Polynesian feel.

wannabeBelle

Now THAT is an idea!!!! That would have solved quite a few issues that people are having with this bread pudding!!! Good thinking Laurie!!
Thanks for the post from the other board there Elle!!! Great information!!! Belle

jholiiday

Hmm.

Assuming the change is financially motivated, here's a suggestion - Try portion controlling the appetizer course.

The same amount of food is brought to the table, if you're 1, or 5 people. If they brought less out to smaller parties, they'd save money.

Also, I hate to be a jerk, but improper pluralization is a pet peeve of mine -

The plural form of Shrimp, is Shrimp. The Plural form of Pineapple, is Pineapple. Just so some of you know.

Oh, and my opinion - The Pineapple was an insubstantial "dessert", but I never felt it was necessary to serve something heavier, since you were probably full by then anyway.

brich

jholiiday said:
Also, I hate to be a jerk, but it's a pet peeve of mine -

The plural form of Shrimp, is Shrimp. The Plural form of Pineapple, is Pineapple. Just so some of you know.
Being a jerk is a pet peeve or the plural of Shrimps and Pineapples? Because if it's the Shrimps and Pineapples, wouldn't that make them peeves? :lookaroun
:D :animwink:

MSTINKHERBELL01

jholiiday said:
Hmm.

QUOTE]

Welcome to the boards!

I have to admit that at times I have been known to type a word incorrectly or say something incorrectly....I joined this board for fun not school. I know some are very particular about spelling and all that...and I say :sohappy: to you all. Just wanted to add my name to the list of people you may be correcting from time to time....I personally don't think you're a jerk...just a nerd...and nerds are cool and sometimes cute:p :lol: .

righttrack

The CM quote above brings some clarity. It would appear that this is going from a single-course meal (where the appetizer/side is served first and refreshed throughout the meal) to a two-course meal with an appetizer selection followed by the skewers with their own sides. To me, this would make the meal a bit lenghthier. I think this will be a big adjustment to the kitchen and waitstaff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom