Official: Captain EO Returns to DL

lebeau

Personally I hope EO returns to Epcot. My question for those not happy about it is do you still go and watch HISTA? *silence* Didn't think so... This would give guests a reason to go over to the Imagination Pavilion and hopefully would spark the overhaul it so badly needs...

Or Disney could say, hey, problem solved. No need to refurb the Imagination Pavilion now.

jt04

Or Disney could say, hey, problem solved. No need to refurb the Imagination Pavilion now.

I don't think we have to worry about that. But when the economy tanks it's possible we won't see any innovation (or Imagineering) for a loooooooong time. I'm really worried that if they don't start the Fantasyland expansion real soon it could get canceled. :eek:

Mr.EPCOT

Captain EO failed once at Epcot why repeat the error? HISTA has a similar problem in that it is dated and just never achieved "classic, timeless attraction" status. Disney should be directing their efforts towards that goal for the Imagination Pavilion instead of falling back to past failures.

Funny, many of the people who complain and use words like "tired" "stale" "unimaginative" "cheap" etc., also support binging back the failed EO. Odd.

How did Captain EO fail? I don't think any of the Magic Eye Theater films were designed with the intent to become timeless, classic, permanent attractions. Do you think that they didn't make them with the probability in mind that they wouldn't be around forever? I think it'd be great if they could periodically rotate the films, since the format allows them to do it relatively easily. Much like Circle-Vision. Every few years, once the current main film has run its course, they could show Magic Journeys for a few months, then Captain EO, then Honey, etc., all while they're developing the next film.

lebeau

Eo didn't fail. It was successful for what it was. In it's day. But that day has come and gone. And while it's fun to sometimes revisit it or You Tube and I would love to see Disney release it on DVD, it's silly to actually pull the thing out of the mothballs and show it at Epcot again. Future World is no place for nostalgia.

jt04

How did Captain EO fail? I don't think any of the Magic Eye Theater films were designed with the intent to become timeless, classic, permanent attractions. Do you think that they didn't make them with the probability in mind that they wouldn't be around forever? I think it'd be great if they could periodically rotate the films, since the format allows them to do it relatively easily. Much like Circle-Vision. Every few years, once the current main film has run its course, they could show Magic Journeys for a few months, then Captain EO, then Honey, etc., all while they're developing the next film.

I think EO is different. It's not like there is a groundswell of nostalgia going on here. It just seems gimmicky and extremely exploitive to me. As if the mouse is cashing in on his tragic end. It's unseemly and creepy to me. If he had actually seen a revival in his career in the states it would make sense. But to do this due to his death is low class. Even morbid. I feel diminished as a human being even posting in this thread.

*flees the madness*

Lee

Adventurer
In your opinion, who's TLand is better?

In my opinion? Disneyland's.
I prefer their Space Mountain (by a mile....)
I prefer their fururistic Autopia to the awful Tomorrowland Speedway.
I prefer Star Tours to MILF.
I prefer their Buzz Lightyear.
I prefer the Nemo Submarines to .....well....nothing in MK to compare.
And frankly, DL's wins points just for not having Stitch's Great Mistake.

For me, DL's TL wins on pretty much every level. Except that they have Innoventions instead of CoP. Not a huge CoP fan, but it's better than Innoventions.
If they put something on the Peoplemover track (Please....Rocket Rods 2.0 would be awesome!) that Tomorrowland will be way ahead and not looking back.
MK's began it's sad slide the moment they began to turn it into Toonmorrowland. If it still had AE and Timekeeper, an updated CoP, Space Mountain and Speedway/Autopia, with a theme that actually covered the whole land....then it would begin to catch up to DL's.

And for the record....I loved the TL '98 theme at DL. Rods, bronze Mountain....all of it. Wonderful. A little more money thrown at it to bring it up to a level beyond "Discoveryland Lite".....it would have been fantastic.

Mr.EPCOT

Eo didn't fail. It was successful for what it was. In it's day. But that day has come and gone. And while it's fun to sometimes revisit it or You Tube and I would love to see Disney release it on DVD, it's silly to actually pull the thing out of the mothballs and show it at Epcot again. Future World is no place for nostalgia.

All very true, BUT I think that 'limited engagement' should be the saving grace here. In the case of Journey Into Imagination, the Magic Eye Theater serves to present a 3-D movie as an expression of the imagination. That idea could be reinforced if they change out the films more often, and certainly a more economical way to do that is to show the old ones every once in a while. I'm not saying this is their thinking behind bringing it back, but just reasoning out why it could be helpful to the pavilion if they went about it the right way. Yes, it's old, but it is still a creative expression of the imagination, and that's what the place is all about. Personally, as a park enthusiast and a movie buff, I'd love to see it on the big screen again. I'll get my fill of it now, enjoy whatever new comes along after it, and maybe get the pleasure of seeing EO again in another twenty years or so. This shouldn't have any lasting impact on the park, so this sounds quite ideal to me.

I think EO is different. It's not like there is a groundswell of nostalgia going on here. It just seems gimmicky and extremely exploitive to me. As if the mouse is cashing in on his tragic end. It's unseemly and creepy to me. If he had actually seen a revival in his career in the states it would make sense. But to do this due to his death is low class. Even morbid. I feel diminished as a human being even posting in this thread.

*flees the madness*

You could be absolutely right. It could be just a selfish maneuver on the part of Disney management. I think it could just as easily be just the right combination of elements and timing. We know that there has been some degree of internal conflict within Disney about it, as evidenced by the cancellation of the announcement at D23, so it would seem to me they'll be tasteful and respectful about it. Kind of like what I said before, I think it comes down to how Michael Jackson would have felt about this, and I believe he'd be happy to be part of the park again, regardless of possible exploitation by Disney leadership. We'll get into more iffy territory if they start selling $200 EO plushes or something. (Although I'd love to see a CD with the score and both album and movie mixes of the two songs)

Mr.EPCOT

does this mean a refurb for imagination???

We don't even know for sure that Captain EO is coming back to EPCOT. If it does, some believe they'll use it as an excuse to let the pavilion languish even longer, or, as I believe, it will help to set a firm timeline in place for the overhaul.

_Scar

You really rely on pictures for everything don't you? This is kind of like how you argued with me in that Fantasmic thread. Why don't you actually go to DL and see it in person...the pictures you are looking at do not do it justice.

I was highlighthing my main problems with DL's TLand. Grounded Astro and odd communicator. I can highlight more ugliness if you want? :shrug:

And just so you know- I think DL does have a great roster of attractions in TLand. Does Nemo necesarily fit? Not really. And the place doesn't live up to what it could have been. I think it has potential and with the whining DL fans do, they'll probably get it fixed very soon.

Seriously...Once again stop using pictures to try to prove your point. Once you have seen it in person then you can come back and argue all you want.

:lol:

And from what I see in pictures, because you know you CAN see how it looks from pictures, it looks tacky. But my opinions obviously don't matter :)lol::rolleyes:) so I'll tell you what I've personally heard about DL's TLand. Better?

Most of my relatives have in fact visited DL and MK and some even DLP. They've all said DL's TLand was pretty crappy compared to all the other parks. They mainly praised DL for FLand, NOS, and ALand.

lebeau

All very true, BUT I think that 'limited engagement' should be the saving grace here.

Disney's definition of "temporary" and mine are out of sync. See also Wand and Toontown.

Also, since you brought up theme, Eo will totally clash with the Imagination Institute theme. You can't just use "Imagination" as an umbrella to fit in every movie imaginable. The pavilion loses any and all coherence with Eo.

It's one thing to play to the nostalgia of the annual pass holders in CA. But think of what Eo will be like for casual tourists in FL. If you don't already love Eo, it's just a bunch of muppets and a sub-par Michael Jackson video.

Honey is dated. But less dated than Eo. Both should be put away and something completely fresh and new should be put here instead.

lebeau

We don't even know for sure that Captain EO is coming back to EPCOT. If it does, some believe they'll use it as an excuse to let the pavilion languish even longer, or, as I believe, it will help to set a firm timeline in place for the overhaul.

I'm in the "Disney will use it as an excuse" camp. Based on Disney's track record, if Eo gives the pavillion a bump I figure they will sit on their hands. And when the bump is over, they are no worse off.

I have no faith that they will set a timeline to replace Eo. If Eo goes in, he will overstay his welcome. It's just a question of how long he overstays it.

Why do you believe the opposite?

_Scar

Honey is dated. But less dated than Eo. Both should be put away and something completely fresh and new should be put here instead.

:sohappy:

Don't make Tomorrowland - > Yesterdayland or Future World - > Retro World.

I hate how making a quick, easy buck can take away from gambling and creating something new.

Mr.EPCOT

Why do you believe the opposite?

Honestly, mostly just an instinct and optimism. I'm hoping to see their track record improve with this kind of thing. I also figure that EPCOT is about due for a major project, and I would assume that Journey Into Imagination is at the top of the list.

Figment632

Honestly, mostly just an instinct and optimism. I'm hoping to see their track record improve with this kind of thing. I also figure that EPCOT is about due for a major project, and I would assume that Journey Into Imagination is at the top of the list.

Refurb that brings back Finder and uses trackless system from Pooh's Honey Hut!

lebeau

I think it is currently at or near the top of the list. But as such, I can't see Eo doing any good. It can only make the refurb less necessary in Disney's eyes.

Mr.EPCOT

I think it is currently at or near the top of the list. But as such, I can't see Eo doing any good. It can only make the refurb less necessary in Disney's eyes.

I just think that even they have to realize that they can't leave such an 80's movie like that in for very long. It'd be more of a motivation to start the refurb than Honey is.

On the other hand, I suppose it is possible that without EO there's the possibility of them starting the overhaul sooner. With EO back, they'd probably have to wait until its run is completed.

lebeau

I just think that even they have to realize that they can't leave such an 80's movie like that in for very long. It'd be more of a motivation to start the refurb than Honey is.

On the other hand, I suppose it is possible that without EO there's the possibility of them starting the overhaul sooner. With EO back, they'd probably have to wait until its run is completed.

The odds are Eo would have little to no impact on the decision to refurb Imagination. But if it's a hit, the Imagination Pavilion stops being the squeeky wheel.

I really can't see them saying, "Time to move out Eo. We better put something new in there." Remember, these are the guys who have left PI empty for over a year now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom