Official: Captain EO Returns to DL

dxwwf3

Exactly.
I really don't see replacing Honey We Need and Audience with EO as a step backwards. Kinda a sideways move, as I see it. At least it's different.:shrug:

Not to mention getting people into the parks that haven't been in a long time. This move will please hardcore fans and people who normally wouldn't think twice about going to a theme park.

Personally, I love HISTA (and actually enjoy it more than Philharmagic), but it is time to shake things up there.

TP2000

When the huge line develops at Captain EO in Disneyland this February, at the same theater that has had hundreds of empty seats for every HISTA show for nearly a decade, then perhaps WDW management will reconsider passing up on the WDI offer to re-install EO in to Epcot as well.

This EO news today is already HUGE here in SoCal media, and the lines will be epic for EO this winter. The radio stations are all talking about it, the TV news has blurbs on "film at 11!", and the local newspaper websites have bumped Obama's speech in Copenhagen down the page to cover this. Funny stuff! :lol:

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing EO again. I stopped going to HISTA years and years ago.

Goodness knows when I'm in WDW at my beloved Epcot I don't waste any time at HISTA there. So I'll make one last visit to HISTA at Disneyland this weekend, and then don't let the door hit you on the way out Professor Szalinski!

dxwwf3

Our Space Mountain is better and we do have the TTA, but that is the extent of the MK's superiority. Their Buzz is lightyear's better (pun intended ;), they have Star Tours (soon to be ST2), and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. The MK has an average comedy club show and the worst attraction in WDW. Not to mention Autiopia is actually something worth waiting for, while our Speedway is a waste of space.

TP2000

Our Space Mountain is better and we do have the TTA, but that is the extent of the MK's superiority. Their Buzz is lightyear's better (pun intended ;), they have Star Tours (soon to be ST2), and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. The MK has an average comedy club show and the worst attraction in WDW. Not to mention Autiopia is actually something worth waiting for, while our Speedway is a waste of space.

While the Disneyland Space Mountain vs. Magic Kingdom Space Mountain debate is a tricky one, that about sums it up.

As a purist however, the Carousel of Progress trumps Space Mountain, even if it needed a heavy Act IV update and major refurbishment five years ago.

And in February, Disneyland's Tomorrowland will also have Captain EO for a limited engagement. Al Lutz had some great articles on this on Miceage starting way back in July, when Lutz broke this news that TDA was going to bring Captain EO back to Disneyland. Check them out if you are interested in the backstory to this whole saga.

Laura

Premium Member
Yea An extremly chessy and dated 3d movie is exactly what FW needs!

It has one already.

You beat me to it. :lol:

In your dreams. :lol:

Also you forgot to mention, we do NOT have Stitch. :D

dxwwf3

In your dreams. :lol:

Also you forgot to mention, we do NOT have Stitch. :D

Actually I don't think DL has an argument in the Space Mountain debate anymore. Our changes seem to be fantastic and the track layout is no comparison between MK and DL's Right Turn Mountain :)

And I did mention the worst attraction in WDW. Naturally I was talking about Stitch :)

Shame on me for not putting CoP in there with the TTA though. The CoP is the 2nd best attraction in our TL and I am disappointed that I forgot to type it in there.

dxwwf3

And in February, Disneyland's Tomorrowland will also have Captain EO for a limited engagement. Al Lutz had some great articles on this on Miceage starting way back in July, when Lutz broke this news that TDA was going to bring Captain EO back to Disneyland. Check them out if you are interested in the backstory to this whole saga.

Gotta give him credit on this one. He has a big time source.

TP2000

Shame on me for not putting CoP in there with the TTA though. The CoP is the 2nd best attraction in our TL and I am disappointed that I forgot to type it in there.

It's one of the main reasons why I keep returing to Florida once a year or so. :sohappy:

Cmdr_Crimson

Well with the Disney Digital 3D Technology they've been using..I can assure you it'll be like this....:lookaroun
[YOUTUBE]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K_NvTkcnU3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K_NvTkcnU3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Ugh...this is dumb. Disney should just move on and put something new in DL (and in Epcot). Besides, I never liked Captain EO. Or Michael Jackson.

Isn't Disney a little late to be jumping on the MJ bandwagon anyway?

It's been reported that Disney has been considering this move (for DL at least) ever since his passing. Still, I'm not sure how they came to decision now, or even why it was on the table in the first place. :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

Serious question: Does Disney have the right to put MJ's image on T-shirts and sell them in the park? If not, I don't buy into the "profiting off MJ's death" angle.

I suspect you'll have a lot of locals like TP2000 who already go to Disneyland now using some of their time in the park to visit EO. It's hard for me to imagine too many people who wouldn't otherwise have bought an AP or planned a trip doing so solely on the basis of Captain EO. Maybe a few hardcore MJ fans or nostalgic '80s babies, but not enough to really affect the bottom line.

wolf359

Honey, I Shrunk The Audience needs to be replaced, but I'd rather see it replaced with a new attraction, one that ties into the overall theme of the pavillion, and in conjunction with an updated Journey Into Imagination.

While the 3-D theater and the ride-through attraction weren't as thematically joined prior to "Honey" I thought that change was a step forward. Bringing EO back would be like two steps backward; bringing an even older, more dated show into the pavilion, and breaking the thematic tie between the two attractions.

EO's brief return to Disneyland makes slightly more sense, if for no other reason than DL always seems to have more of a "traveling circus" vibe with all of the seasonal overlays and other temporary shows.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Serious question: Does Disney have the right to put MJ's image on T-shirts and sell them in the park? If not, I don't buy into the "profiting off MJ's death" angle.

I suspect you'll have a lot of locals like TP2000 who already go to Disneyland now using some of their time in the park to visit EO. It's hard for me to imagine too many people who wouldn't otherwise have bought an AP or planned a trip doing so solely on the basis of Captain EO. Maybe a few hardcore MJ fans or nostalgic '80s babies, but not enough to really affect the bottom line.

:lookaroun

:eek:

EpcotServo

Awesome.

Awesome to the MAX.

picture.php

Whilst I shall riff on it like crazy, I think it's great.

And I really hope the dark purple logo gets faded and worn and put on a jet black T-Shirt. Nothing with the characters, just the great old logo. Yes please.

Mr.EPCOT

Here's the way I see it: exactly like Lee said, this isn't anything worse than a step sideways from Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. I think Disney should celebrate its history more often like this when they have the opportunity. It'd be nice if they brought back Magic Journeys for a limited engagement, as well, for example. We all know how temporary things at Walt Disney World turn out sometimes, but in this case once EO has been around a year or so, they'll make it a priority to kickstart the Journey Into Imagination overhaul.

nemofinder22

Since was Al correct about EO returning(which I had my doubts when Iger said theres no plans), then it has me worried that Monsters Laugh Floor coming to the space. Even though there's a Monsters dark ride at DCA surrounded by 2 large empty show buildings.....

With no new major attraction openings at DL in 2010, Im sure DL will do just fine with EO returning for a short time, theres plenty of APs and plenty more people living in SoCal that Im sure will want to see this. After all DL needs something to keep them occupied with since ROA/Fantasmic! will be out for the next 5-6 months or untill World of Color steals the spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom