Official: Captain EO Returns to DL

Figment632

The odds are Eo would have little to no impact on the decision to refurb Imagination. But if it's a hit, the Imagination Pavilion stops being the squeeky wheel.

I really can't see them saying, "Time to move out Eo. We better put something new in there." Remember, these are the guys who have left PI empty for over a year now.

How does a movie even more dated than HISTA help the pavilion?

lebeau

How does a movie even more dated than HISTA help the pavilion?

I doubt it will. But on the off chance that attendance rises as a result of Eo, I can only see that as a bad thing for the chances of getting an Imagination refurb.

I really see no scenario in which Eo is a good thing for Epcot.

Figment632

I doubt it will. But on the off chance that attendance rises as a result of Eo, I can only see that as a bad thing for the chances of getting an Imagination refurb.

I really see no scenario in which Eo is a good thing for Epcot.

Ok I missunderstood and I agree.

lebeau

Honestly, I struggle to understand why so many people on the forums think this would be a good idea for Epcot. DL, I can understand. Nostalgia plays to all the local annual passholders. But Epcot, what's the possible upside? I just don't see it. :shrug:

dxwwf3

There ARE people who are nostalgic about Disney Parks on the Eastern side of the nation. And there are people from other countries that go to WDW that are MJ fans and would love to see him again in that setting. I don't see a downside. As much as I love HISTA, it's not like they are going to be taking out a headliner. Do you guys honestly think that people will not be lined up past the JIIWF entrance to see this?

Mr.EPCOT

Honestly, I struggle to understand why so many people on the forums think this would be a good idea for Epcot. DL, I can understand. Nostalgia plays to all the local annual passholders. But Epcot, what's the possible upside? I just don't see it. :shrug:

I really don't know if it'd turn out good or bad for EPCOT. It certainly couldn't be as bad as that silly cartoon fish taking over The Living Seas, so there are worse things that have happened.

I suppose the best perspective I can offer is from the purely personal desire to see the film again without having to fly to Disneyland to do it.

MAGICFLOP

I think this is great news.........:sohappy:

I want it back in EPCOT....:sohappy:

Now when I go to Epcot I bypass that area just like everyone else. We all enjoy bypassing HISTA and Imagination. WOL is the only place in EPCOT that is deserted more that the HISTA/imagination pavillion (but the numbers are close).:cool:

PhantomX

Captain EO failed once at Epcot why repeat the error? HISTA has a similar problem in that it is dated and just never achieved "classic, timeless attraction" status. Disney should be directing their efforts towards that goal for the Imagination Pavilion instead of falling back to past failures.

Funny, many of the people who complain and use words like "tired" "stale" "unimaginative" "cheap" etc., also support binging back the failed EO. Odd.

Captain EO failed? What planet were you on? EO was enormously sucessful during its initial run. It wasn't removed because it wasn't popular it was removed to bring in the imagination institue theme with a honey I shrunk the kids tie-in. While attendance did fall after playing for close to ten years that would happen with any attraction (see Star Tours and all Epcot pavillions). The show was far superior to HISTA and due to the death of MJ, a cultural icon. It makes sense to pay tribute by bringing the show back since it has a renewed surge in popularity. It is no different than releasing those vintage Epcot Center shirts or having the new audio refer to the TTA as the Peoplemover. Bringing back some nostalgic elements just makes sense. In this case bringing back Captain EO makes sense.

It will also make Disney a nice profit which always helps.

PhantomX

We don't even know for sure that Captain EO is coming back to EPCOT. If it does, some believe they'll use it as an excuse to let the pavilion languish even longer, or, as I believe, it will help to set a firm timeline in place for the overhaul.

Absurd. If anything bringing EO back to Epcot would help end the current theme immediatly and signal the Imagineers are preparing a more iconic take on the whole pavilion that will be based on the ORIGINAL pavillion not the goofy version they have now.

Mr.EPCOT

Absurd. If anything bringing EO back to Epcot would help end the current theme immediatly and signal the Imagineers are preparing a more iconic take on the whole pavilion that will be based on the ORIGINAL pavillion not the goofy version they have now.

I agree with you, so I assume the absurdity you are referring to is the bit about Disney using EO as an excuse to put off the overhaul even longer?

dxwwf3

^ People wouldn't travel thousands of miles for a 3D attraction. If they do, they're nuts

There will be some hardcore MJ fans that might, but that's not what I'm talking about. It could help some make a final decision to visit. There are more locals at Disneyland, but there are a lot of people in Florida too and you know there are some who will make a visit to Epcot to see this if it comes there.

The biggest impact will be on the normal, every day guest. There is a definite interest in this, otherwise why would there be so much media attention. EO would not have to worry about attendance at Epcot.

TP2000

A few dozen Disney fans can argue over this on a message board, but the true test will be when this thing opens in February. And I guarantee you that the line will be epic and the crowds huge during a relatively slow time of year at Disneyland.

I'm not a huge MJ fan, but I am a huge Disney fan, and I can't wait to see Captain EO.

I actually have more of a moral problem with Angelica Huston than I do with Michael Jackson. Ms. Huston was in Jack Nicholson's house the night Roman Polanski raped that 13 year old girl. Ms. Huston knew there were drugs being used in the house, she was told Mr. Polanski was 'romancing' the girl in a back bedroom, and she even poked her head in the door to ask Mr. Polanski a question as the girl was on the bed. Ms. Huston made no attempt to intervene or call the authorities to help the girl. Ms. Huston was not indicted as an accesory to the child's rape because the LAPD offered her a plea deal the following week that allowed her to get out of a previous charge of cocaine possesion that was working its way through the LA courts.

Angelica Huston is the perfect person to play the Evil Queen in EO, for many reasons. As is typical in Hollywood, her career didn't suffer and she continues to ignore her past.

In happier news, I am really hoping they sell the original 1980's EO t-shirts again! I noticed the adjacent Starcade (at the exit to EO) in Disneyland has a month long refurbishment, so maybe they are also going to do a 1980's themed arcade theme of some kind?

worldfanatic

Watch the show video on Youtube.
Captain EO surpasses even Sounds Dangerous and Stich's Great Escape as the biggest pile of steaming crap that has ever invaded DL or WDW!!
And believe it or not, I'm actually a Jackson fan.
He may never have admitted it, but he must have been profoundly humiliated by that pathetic show.

Sure there will be crowds, but do you really want crowds of people coming into your park and watching this vomit on a screen?:hurl::hurl::hurl:
It's just plain embarrassing!!

Mr.EPCOT

Watch the show video on Youtube.
Captain EO surpasses even Sounds Dangerous and Stich's Great Escape as the biggest pile of steaming crap that has ever invaded DL or WDW!!
And believe it or not, I'm actually a Jackson fan.
He may never have admitted it, but he must have been profoundly humiliated by that pathetic show.

Sure there will be crowds, but do you really want crowds of people coming into your park and watching this vomit on a screen?:hurl::hurl::hurl:
It's just plain embarrassing!!

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I love Captain EO. I think it's great fun with catchy music. I don't think I'm the only one.

tazhughes

Yea An extremly chessy and dated 3d movie is exactly what FW needs!

Isn't that exactly what we have now with the current film???

Personally I'd rather sit through EO again than the Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I haven't wasted my time with that show in years. At least if EO was there I'd pop in for a bit of nostalgia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom