Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Remember, this is Disney we're talking about. WWOHP was (I think) $200M while FLE was (I think) $450M. FB was developed using cutting-edge technology. Journey of the Little Mermaid is a copy and paste from DLR. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a basic steel roller coaster.

Good point. So maybe a few hundred million in actual hardware and software and a whole lot of padded expenses.

John

Ofcourse my question about "how does next gen enhance my experience" was pure rehtorical... I have a hard time believeing that they will have people lining up with wallets open to spend what amounts to hundreds a dollars more per visit. A lot of us are mostly negative towards the project, but honestly how many of you are going to spend the money?....I want to see a show of hands. Me?....An emphatic NO! I guess I will just have to schlep in the lines with the little people. I am not that crazy about doing ADRs six months out and I am even less enthusiastic about planning my whole friggin visit down to the minute. Not to mention having to pay to do it.

ParentsOf4

Ofcourse my question about "how does next gen enhance my experience" was pure rehtorical... I have a hard time believeing that they will have people lining up with wallets open to spend what amounts to hundreds a dollars more per visit. A lot of us are mostly negative towards the project, but honestly how many of you are going to spend the money?....I want to see a show of hands. Me?....An emphatic NO! I guess I will just have to schlep in the lines with the little people. I am not that crazy about doing ADRs six months out and I am even less enthusiastic about planning my whole friggin visit down to the minute. Not to mention having to pay to do it.
I respectfully suggest that people who post on websites such as wdwmagic do not represent WDW's "typical" guests. We tend to be WDW extremists. The overwhelming majority of WDW vacationers visit Orlando every once in a while and don't think about it again for 3 or 4 years until they start planning their next Orlando vacation. Most will be unaware of Next Gen, FLE, or Avatarland (for example) until they start planning their next vacation.

TDO's strategy is geared towards those folks, not us.

SirLink

The argument has been that if you're willing to pay a premium than you should get a premium experience. However, a better version of that "premium" that you're paying was an experience that was available to all less than two years ago. If you want to incentivize the program do what has been done in the past in Disneyland - give extra Fastpass tickets to resort guests with no time restrictions. If that's not possible due to the larger number of Florida hotels than you can make these extra Fastpasses be scheduled but only upon checking into the hotel or better yet, in the park that day:

Old system: Fastpasses were available for all park guests on a first come first serve basis day of. They could not be scheduled and guests could get an additional fastpass every 40-120 minutes depending on how far out the return time was. Late returns were allowed

Current system: Fastpasses are available for all park guests on a first come first serve basis day of. They can not be scheduled and guests can get an additional fastpass every 40-120 minutes depending on how far out the return time is. Late returns are not allowed

Proposed future system: Fastpasses are available to resort guests on a first come, first serve basis prior to entering the park. They can be scheduled up to 180 days in advance and a set number of Fastpasses will be available per guest per day. Late returns are not allowed

My ideal future system: Fastpasses are available to all guests on a first come, first serve basis day of. They can be scheduled once a guest enters a park and guests will be able to get an additional fastpass every 40-120 minutes depending on the return time. If a guest schedules something hours in advance but an available return time is 40 minutes out, they will be able to get an additional Fastpass in 40 minutes. Late returns are not allowed. Newly added Fastpass+ attractions, and other high capacity attractions will not utilize Fastpass on days with lower attendance.

Adapted future system to incentivize hotel guests: Fastpasses are available to all guests. Deluxe Resort guests are able to schedule an additional 1 or 2 attractions prior to entering a park. Moderate and Value resorts can pay a premium for additional Fastpass access. If they are able to schedule 2 additional attractions they must distinguish between high demand and low demand attractions. All other scheduling would be comparable to the previous future system.

You forgot the fourth option give it away to Deluxe guests with the ability to schedule a few "attractions". Make it a buy in for Value, a slightly cheaper buy in for Moderate. On top of that 'ride experiences' as well as 'character experiences/adventures' as an add on price to whatever the resort guest has paid for NGE/FP+. Oh and screw both day guests and AP holders in one fell swish.

fw1987

What am I missing?

Originally WDW became popular because it was an entertainment destination. People came because of the parks, the attractions, the shows, and the maniacal attention to detail. The quality and the true immersion of the experience starkly set it apart from all other venues, and as a result people flocked there.

Somehow TDO has morphed into a real estate company. I am astounded at the number of rooms created both through DVC and value resorts over the past 15 years. This focus on the accommodations at the real expense of maintenance, upkeep and investment in new, high quality attractions has resulted in unfilled rooms and failing entertainment infrastructure.

How a once innovative and great company can absolutely lose sight of it what made it great is incomprehensible. They have lost their mission.

The product (parks, attractions, immersion) fills the hotel rooms. Lose the quality and uniqueness of the actual product and the room occupancy rate goes up. People go for attractions, not pretty queues.

Every instinct of TDO is wrong. They are disoriented 180 degrees.

Hey TDO: Stick ... with the opposite! (forehead slap)

kittybubbles

I think I recall a couple of years ago that some folks mentioned getting surveys asking about 'entertainment only tickets', half day tickets, and such. I have no inside knowledge on what NextGEN will bring, but Disney might be thinking that they can bring more people in by having a lower priced ticket that has more restrictions sort of like how they 'kept prices down' by allowing people to buy single park/single day tickets and selling park hoping as an add on option.

Those Mickey heads at all the rides would point out who could ride an attraction and who could not. I think they will also look to bring down employee head count....maybe less folks at the entrance since machines will not be eating or mis-reading paper/magnetic media, less folks at the ride entrances since the Mickey head will light green or red so only one cast member instead of one for questions and one manually checking fast pass return times.

They also have a chance to push stuff to guest if they get them using their smartphone to tie into the system...as you walk near Mouse Gears offer you 10% off for the next hour if you pay with your wristband.

I do think there is someone in the company who has somehow justified the ROI, but I also agree the money could have been better spent, I just wanted to point out that there are probably more ideas they have for this then we have thought of.

The Empress Lilly

What am I missing?

Originally WDW became popular because it was an entertainment destination. People came because of the parks, the attractions, the shows, and the maniacal attention to detail. The quality and the true immersion of the experience starkly set it apart from all other venues, and as a result people flocked there.

Somehow TDO has morphed into a real estate company. I am astounded at the number of rooms created both through DVC and value resorts over the past 15 years. This focus on the accommodations at the real expense of maintenance, upkeep and investment in new, high quality attractions has resulted in unfilled rooms and failing entertainment infrastructure.

How a once innovative and great company can absolutely lose sight of it what made it great is incomprehensible. They have lost their mission.

The product (parks, attractions, immersion) fills the hotel rooms. Lose the quality and uniqueness of the actual product and the room occupancy rate goes up. People go for attractions, not pretty queues.

Every instinct of TDO is wrong. They are disoriented 180 degrees.

Hey TDO: Stick ... with the opposite! (forehead slap)
But....should they? Is it?

Is it not perfectly logical and sensible to 1) build theme parks, 2) build hotels to cater to the visitors of said parks, and 3) in that order (parks first, hotels second).

What would be the alternative? For TDO to build park five, six, eleven? For TDO to not build hotels - where the money is made? Or to first build the Time Share Capital of the World in the 70s/80s and then cater to the millions of visitors these time shares and hotel rooms draw by building something for them to do in the 90s / 00s?

John

I respectfully suggest that people who post on websites such as wdwmagic do not represent WDW's "typical" guests. We tend to be WDW extremists. The overwhelming majority of WDW vacationers visit Orlando every once in a while and don't think about it again for 3 or 4 years until they start planning their next Orlando vacation. Most will be unaware of Next Gen, FLE, or Avatarland (for example) until they start planning their next vacation.

TDO's strategy is geared towards those folks, not us.

Couldnt agree more, the more the reason for me to ask. Do "we" as "smarter" then the average guest willing to shell out several hundred more dollars per visit. Although I 100% agree with the fact that we are not the targeted guest we wont be exempt from having to pay more for the so called premium experience. How many of us are willing to do so? It might be a skewed sample but was interested to know. Maybe its a to personal and some wouldnt want to answer :lookinaround:

Maybe its a bad idea to even ask.

DznyRktekt

And the hotel at the FLA mall, I know that well too. In 1986 for our first family visit to WDW's 15th Anniversary (yeah we were there on 10/1 and no, they didn't keep real guests away from the festivities so that blogging whores could get closeups!) and we stayed at the then just opened Crowne Plaza Florida Mall. At the time, Holiday Inn was just starting the chain as an upscale brand in the USA and I recall my folks being thrilled with it for a AAA rate of $45 a night. I actually walked into it sometime in 2011 and it was dated, but still seemed well-maintained as an independent hotel. ... Memories.

The 15-year celebration was tastefully done, minus the parade music something like "Fifteen years...we're havin' a party" over and over. Wasn't that when the mirrored castle float debuted, the one still in use? I believe they gave away a car to a lucky guest as well. Ten years before the pink nightmare ruined countless family MSUSA photos. Of course the crane does that now.

Good to hear the hotel is still in decent shape. I stayed there at least two times with my parents and both of those times the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and we had to venture down to the lobby. Even back then my folks thought on-property was over priced, and they were correct.

ParentsOf4

The more I dwell on what I suspect Next Gen is going to be, the more depressing it is. I suspect Next Gen is targeting the 10% or so of WDW guests who might be willing to pay more for an "enhanced" WDW experience. If it goes the way I think it will, the majority of WDW guests are going to lose more than they gain. Sure, maybe entering the parks will be easier. Maybe we'll be able to pay for our purchases a few seconds faster. Maybe we'll even be able to score a few FPs before arriving. However, many components of WDW’s current egalitarian system will have to be eliminated or curtailed. Next Gen does not increase attraction or restaurant capacity. I suspect it will only change how they are distributed. Those that pay more will have more access to attractions and dining. "Pony up if you want to participate. Otherwise, be glad we still let you in the parks."

Walt Disney’s original vision for his theme parks may very well die with Next Gen.

I hope I'm wrong.

John

The more I dwell on what I suspect Next Gen is going to be, the more depressing it is. I suspect Next Gen is targeting the 10% or so of WDW guests who might be willing to pay more for an "enhanced" WDW experience. If it goes the way I think it will, the majority of WDW guests are going to lose more than they gain. Sure, maybe entering the parks will be easier. Maybe we'll be able to pay for our purchases a few seconds faster. Maybe we'll even be able to score a few FPs before arriving. However, many components of WDW’s current egalitarian system will have to be eliminated or curtailed. Next Gen does not increase attraction or restaurant capacity. I suspect it will only change how they are distributed. Those that pay more will have more access to attractions and dining. "Pony up if you want to participate. Otherwise, be glad we still let you in the parks."

Walt Disney’s original vision for his theme parks may very well die with Next Gen.

I hope I'm wrong.

Like this a million times!

fw1987

Is it not perfectly logical and sensible to 1) build theme parks, 2) build hotels to cater to the visitors of said parks, and 3) in that order (parks first, hotels second).

What would be the alternative? For TDO to build park five, six, eleven? For TDO to not build hotels - where the money is made? Or to first build the Time Share Capital of the World in the 70s/80s and then cater to the millions of visitors these time shares and hotel rooms draw by building something for them to do in the 90s / 00s?

Umm, I think you missed the point of my post. Having hotels on WDW property is great. I stay at them. And I definitely do not want a 5th gate (let alone more) when gates 1-4 need so much work and already have the needed infrastructure to handle guests.

I am talking about priority here. The whole "heads in beds" is supported by having world class parks, attractions, and a return to the standards that created the need for hotels. Get back to the timeless standards that drew the people to the parks, and you will fill your hotel rooms. Focus more on developments and hotels at the detriment of what originally attracted the guests and you will get the decline at WDW we are seeing.

It's a simple matter of priority and focus.

Full disclosure: I own DVC at BCV. I prefer staying on site. But I stay on site for the parks, attractions, immersion and quality. Take those away and the rooms are meaningless.

SirLink

Fully flesh out parks 2, 3, and 4. Expand the most visited theme park with some innovative rides whether it be E, D,C, etc. How about unique merchandise? There is a reason why families walk out of WWOHP spending hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise - yet every store you go in between MK and DHS will sell you same stuff.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Hard to say exactly what I will or will not spend money on since we don't know exactly what we will be getting. Let's assume that the plan works like the common theory thrown around here. Deluxe guests get 4 free FP+ reservations, moderates can buy in for a discount and values can buy in for full price. I am a DVC owner so I assume I would get the deluxe treatment. If that is the case it costs me nothing and I would most definitely book FP+ reservations 6 months in advance for certain rides. I am a planner anyway so it would not be a big burden for me. By the 6 month window we already have a basic park touring plan laid out for our week since we have to book ADRs for popular restaurants anyway. For example, I already know I am going to be at MK on Tuesday of my trip since I have a 6PM ADR at BOG. I sign up for a FP+ for 9am at Splash and 9:30am at BTMRR and plan to spend the morning on that side of MK. At night time after dinner I use FP+ for Space Mountain at 8PM (planning to see my Ratatouille and fancy cupcake again in the men's room next to Space Mt at 8:15pm;)) and I use my final FP+ for a reserved spot for the nighttime parade and Wishes. It's not like I have to plan every ride I go on, just the majors and I definitely would be very much in favor of reserved spots for the parade.

Here is where the grey area comes in, how much would I be willing to pay for this benefit. If its not free to me I would definitely be willing to pay something, but probably not hundreds of dollars. Let's say it is a $50 add on per day. I might be willing to do it for a day or 2 of my trip. Anything more and I probably would not want to pay. Just for the record, I am not endorsing or defending next gen or FP+ by saying this. I loved the old days before the DDP and free dining when you could go in non-popular times and not even make ADRs. We went several times in the mid 90s in January and didn't make a single ADR until we got to WDW. Back then you could walk into most restaurants and get a table. I would prefer those days, but if they are going to implement FP+ and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg I will probably use it. When in Rome...

Skibum1970

Fully flesh out parks 2, 3, and 4. Expand the most visited theme park with some innovative rides whether it be E, D,C, etc. How about unique merchandise? There is a reason why families walk out of WWOHP spending hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise - yet every store you go in between MK and DHS will sell you same stuff.

Exactly. Perfectly said. Be the amusement park where dreams come true and not the place where I have to pay for a la carte experiences that do nothing for my experience. When we think of Disney parks, we think of cutting edge rides and animatronics. Another poster pointed this out and how the company down the street is creating those instead.

cheezbat

Agreed! CP (operations, evening atmosphere) was better this summer than in quite a few years, and next year looks even better. BTW, they just topped off Gatekeeper yesterday.
Eh...I hope it's getting better. The way it's been going the past few years, I've found Six Flags to be run better than Cedar Fair parks. I'd much rather see quality dark rides as well as cool coasters added to CF instead of just big thrill rides and camp Snoopy stuff.

Maybe if he came back to Disney we'd actually see quality and cutting edge.

KevinYee

I am a DVC owner so I assume I would get the deluxe treatment. If that is the case it costs me nothing and I would most definitely book FP+ reservations 6 months in advance for certain rides.

I'm not sure I'd assume this. Disney seems to adhere to the first Ferengi Rule of Acquisition: "once you have their money, you never give it back!" In other words, they have you as a customer already - they already have your money - and might want to focus their efforts (their rewards) on those who haven't paid yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom