Numbers, Cars and Quality ...

RSoxNo1

There has been some members here that are supportive of NG.....someone please enlighten me again why this is going to be a good idea. Explain to me again how it will enhance my guest experience? Also tell me how it will be worth several hundred dollars?.....please someone!

The argument has been that if you're willing to pay a premium than you should get a premium experience. However, a better version of that "premium" that you're paying was an experience that was available to all less than two years ago. If you want to incentivize the program do what has been done in the past in Disneyland - give extra Fastpass tickets to resort guests with no time restrictions. If that's not possible due to the larger number of Florida hotels than you can make these extra Fastpasses be scheduled but only upon checking into the hotel or better yet, in the park that day:

Old system: Fastpasses were available for all park guests on a first come first serve basis day of. They could not be scheduled and guests could get an additional fastpass every 40-120 minutes depending on how far out the return time was. Late returns were allowed

Current system: Fastpasses are available for all park guests on a first come first serve basis day of. They can not be scheduled and guests can get an additional fastpass every 40-120 minutes depending on how far out the return time is. Late returns are not allowed

Proposed future system: Fastpasses are available to resort guests on a first come, first serve basis prior to entering the park. They can be scheduled up to 180 days in advance and a set number of Fastpasses will be available per guest per day. Late returns are not allowed

My ideal future system: Fastpasses are available to all guests on a first come, first serve basis day of. They can be scheduled once a guest enters a park and guests will be able to get an additional fastpass every 40-120 minutes depending on the return time. If a guest schedules something hours in advance but an available return time is 40 minutes out, they will be able to get an additional Fastpass in 40 minutes. Late returns are not allowed. Newly added Fastpass+ attractions, and other high capacity attractions will not utilize Fastpass on days with lower attendance.

Adapted future system to incentivize hotel guests: Fastpasses are available to all guests. Deluxe Resort guests are able to schedule an additional 1 or 2 attractions prior to entering a park. Moderate and Value resorts can pay a premium for additional Fastpass access. If they are able to schedule 2 additional attractions they must distinguish between high demand and low demand attractions. All other scheduling would be comparable to the previous future system.

RSoxNo1

IMHO, these changes are not attempts to increase theme park attendance, only attempts to extract more money out of those that do attend. Iger has publically stated (to paraphrase) there is more blood to be squeezed from consumers.

Despite opinions to the contrary, most consumers are not stupid. As WDW reaches their tipping points, consumers start talking with their wallets. If something is “worth it”, consumers buy it. If not, they spend their money elsewhere. History is replete with examples of both consumer successes and failures. Every single producer thought their product was going to be a success. We shall see.

It doesn't bother me that they act this way. It bothers me that they act this way while hiding behind Walt Disney's legacy. Is there anyone left at TDO that believes in Walt's words?
The other option is building high quality attractions and more desirable merchandise... you know, like the company that's kicking their a$$ right now.

ParentsOf4

This is a great question: should a visit to WDW take all that work to maximize??? I may have enjoyed the game for a brief time but its the biggest deterrent for me now. Everything I've read about NextGen sounds like a flipping miserable way to vacation. Not only would I not pay extra for that, I'll pay extra to steer clear entirely. Yikes!
Based on what we've read so far, Next Gen appears to require more preplanning. As it exists today, WDW already requires a lot of preplanning. ADRs need to be booked six months out. Websites for Über planners thrive. Next Gen takes it to the next step, a direction I wish they were not going since I already think WDW requires too much planning.

However, for the family that hates having to wake up early to get to the parks for opening, who hates having to stand in line for 50 minutes for a lot of attractions because they couldn't get a "good" FP time, or who couldn't get the ADRs they wanted, I theorize (I have no inside information) that Next Gen will solve their problems, if they are willing to pay for it.

Basically, I think Next Gen will start giving preferential treatment at the theme parks to those who are willing to pay for it. Given the current corporate environment at TWDC and TDO, I don't believe they'd be willing to invest $1.5B on Next Gen unless they expected to make money from it.

c-one

This is a great question: should a visit to WDW take all that work to maximize??? I may have enjoyed the game for a brief time but its the biggest deterrent for me now. Everything I've read about NextGen sounds like a flipping miserable way to vacation. Not only would I not pay extra for that, I'll pay extra to steer clear entirely. Yikes!
I can't think of another vacation that takes this much work to maximize. Not one I take regularly, anyway.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
$1.5 Billion sounds like a military boondoggle.

I just can't fathom how they think that they can recoup this money on something so intangible.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
$1.5 Billion sounds like a military boondoggle.

I just can't fathom how they think that they can recoup this money on some so intangible.
I'm sure there were people that said the same thing about those who invented the straw, velcro, the microwave, or carbonated water.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have a theory how WDW is going to make big money from Next Gen. If interested, please read my posts:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/numbers-cars-and-quality.856357/page-17#post-5225009

And:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/numbers-cars-and-quality.856357/page-18#post-5225183

Sorry the second post is so long winded but I thought it necessary to explain how a family might be willing to pay a lot more for Next Gen.
How in the hell does that cost 1.5 billion dollars to create and implement?

Skibum1970

But my question still lies...how does an "idea" to milk more money out of a customer cost 1.5 billion dollars?

$1,500,000,000.00 - That is a lot of zeroes.

Didn't Iger state that the DCA re-do cost about $1.5 billion? What would have worked better? NextGen or Cars Land, Little Mermaid, and BVS makeover vs the new fast passes, interactive elements in a queue, required reservations, and RDID scanners for entry into the park? Well, since DCA's attendance has exploded, my initial guess is that the new rides will win out. Next Gen isn't here and we don't know how it will or won't work.

I keep thinking back to when Paramount owned many of the Cedar Fair parks (ex. Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds). They tried to build experiences instead of rides and it flopped. People go to amusement parks for rides. The parades and ancillary entertainments add to the experience but the rides define why we go. Would you go to the Magic Kingdom to watch parades only and Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, didn't exist? To be fair, I love coasters first and all other rides second and thus I am in the "Build rides and they will come" crowd. I suppose that I am a little negative on NextGen because it feels that TDO is so intent on cutting spending to implement and maintain rides.

ParentsOf4

A lot of Radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology is being lumped in under the title of "Next Gen". On my most recent visit to WDW, RFID was installed on all the doors at BCV and BLT. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this technology but I waved my key in front of the door to open it. WDW is testing similar technology to enter the theme parks. The same technology might be used to book various experiences at the parks, charge merchandise, pay for dining, etc. Then there's the build out of the wireless network throughout the theme parks and WDW. Beyond that is the latest in computing technology and millions of lines of software to support the system. Added together, it's a lot of capital expenditure (capex).

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It is hard to believe it costs that much. My guess is that the cost number includes all of the RFID scanners at all of the hotel room doors and cash registers on property and all of the readers at every attraction plus all of the interactive queue areas that are being updated with new technology plus the software and servers used to store and mine all of the data that will come from the project. Still hard to believe all of this hardware and software combined will cost $1.5B. That just seems like a ton of money. Maybe there are some other components to this that we are not aware of.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A lot of Radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology is being lumped in under the title of "Next Gen". On my most recent visit to WDW, RCID was installed on all the doors at BCV and BLT. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this technology but I basically waved my key in front of the door to open it. WDW is testing similar technology to enter the theme parks. The same technology might be used to book various experiences at the parks, charge merchandise, pay for dining, etc. Then there's the build out of the wireless network throughout the theme parks and WDW. Beyond that is the latest in computing technology and millions of lines of software to support the system. Added together, it's a lot of capital expenditure (capex).
I forgot about wireless in the parks. I am sure that got bundled into the costs too. I agree that probably a lot of needed improvements like wireless in the parks was lumped into this project. We always complain about Disney falling behind in technical innovation with the parks. This is a big bet on new technology. Not sure if the average guest will appreciate all of the features over a new ride or land in the parks though.

ParentsOf4

It is hard to believe it costs that much. My guess is that the cost number includes all of the RFID scanners at all of the hotel room doors and cash registers on property and all of the readers at every attraction plus all of the interactive queue areas that are being updated with new technology plus the software and servers used to store and mine all of the data that will come from the project. Still hard to believe all of this hardware and software combined will cost $1.5B. That just seems like a ton of money. Maybe there are some other components to this that we are not aware of.
Remember, this is Disney we're talking about. WWOHP was (I think) $200M while FLE was (I think) $450M. FJ was developed using cutting-edge technology. Journey of the Little Mermaid is a copy and paste from DLR. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a basic steel roller coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom