Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooey

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. Fasten your seatbelts.
Well, it's had characters in it for a long long time. You see characters when you come in, random ones too like stitch and Daisy Duck. Characters have been meeting in character spot and world showcase for many years, and let's not forget Barbie (yes that Barbie) had her own dedicated show in the American Adventure pavilion in the 90s...

Goofyernmost

On the other hand, people don't KEEP paying hundreds a day to see the SAME band play the SAME songs they've been playing for decades - for ten days in a row. Like they do at Disney parks.
Yes, the do. Maybe not daily, but, if you go to a Rolling Stones concert, you hear the same songs you heard in the 60's. But, to your point the fact that people are willing to pay hundreds a day (slight exaggeration there I think) to see the same thing would be because they like what they see. Otherwise, why would they go there. Once and done, is the motto of many people who realize that a stationary theme park does not change daily or weekly or even yearly. If we, people who are willingly paying around $60.00 per day, do that it is because they like the parks and enjoy them repeatedly for what they are, what they meant to them in memories and the enjoyment that they get from it. If we don't enjoy it, then I am at a loss to understand what kind of idiots we are to continue going there.

Bocabear

They should have made an attraction capable of what's required of it.
In repurposing an existing attraction, there is not much they can do about capacity...I personally believe it should have gone to the Magic Kingdom and been a new people eating dark ride...with huge capacity...but alas.
And let's face it Maelstrom always had long lines and was never really a great ride... Now hopefully the lines will at least be for a better experience...
I guess...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is there any chance they,re using the meet and greet building for queuing or is it really just going to spill out into world showcase?

The plans for the M&G don't show any connection to the existing buildings and it doesn't even extend back far enough to be near the Maelstrom show building.

Sped2424

It's sad that they got to work on this ride much faster than they did on Avatar Land.
You're comparing a retheme to building an entire land. Not really the closet comparison. If the Frozen attraction was half as ambitious as Avatarland rest assured it would have been stalled, and cut, and then stalled.

yensidtlaw1969

Sooooooo... Seriously, does the ride even HAVE a story? I see no story.

Pooh tells a story. You're in the Hundred Acre Wood (you enter via storybook). It's a blustery day. You duck through Owl's house. You bounce with Tigger. You go to Pooh's house. He falls asleep. You end up in his dream about Heffalumps and Woozles. He wakes up. It's raining. You're floating in the water. The rain goes away. Pooh eats honey. Not exactly Shakespeare, but it's a coherent story.

Here? It's just... I don't even know. You see Olaf and Sven. Then you see the trolls. Then you see Olaf and Sven with Anna and Kristoff. Then Elsa sings "Let It Go" for no apparent reason. Then Marshmallow. Then everyone waves goodbye. What's even going on? It doesn't feel like you're on an adventure, you're just going around seeing characters from the film.

You could just as easily describe Pooh the same way you describe Frozen -- You see Piglet. Then Pooh and Eeyore. Then you go into Owl's house. Then you see Tigger. Then Pooh has a nightmare about Heffalumps and Woozles, for some reason.

Pooh's "story" really isn't one, either - and I say that to its benefit. It's more of a collection of exciting experiences - feeling the wind on your face in the Blustery Day, bouncing along with Tigger, spinning around with the Heffalumps, floating along as the rain rain rain comes down down down. A bunch of little, fun actions a guest could plausibly want to take part in, strung together by the unifying theme of Pooh Bear. The ride is episodic, but then so is the movie. The film lends itself to a ride that simply jumps all over the woods with Pooh because it does precisely the same thing.

The secret, I think, is that everything that happens in the Pooh ride is something you might enjoy doing with or without the Winnie the Pooh theme. Add on TOP of that the great characters and beloved movie, and you amp up the potential appeal of that ride experience,

The Frozen ride will still have to prove it's worth as an appealing experience, but the fact that it's (shamefully) replacing The Maelstrom does provide it a little validation - we already know floating down a semi-perilous Scandanavian river past it's people, some trolls, and a snowy landscape added up to an experience worth partaking in. Add on TOP of that the popular characters, Academy Award-winning song, and some technologically advanced Animatronics and you probably end up with something full of actions people will largely consider worth "doing".

Story or no story, the ride sounds like it'll be full of fun things to "do". That's what separates rides from movies - in a great movie you get to SEE cool stuff, but in a great ride you get to DO cool stuff.

Brer Panther

Good point (although, in regards to your saying Pooh has a nightmare "for some reason", before we go inside Pooh's house and see him fall asleep you see Tigger warning Pooh about Heffalumps and Woozles).

There doesn't seem to be much transition with the Frozen ride's scenes, though. Pooh and Little Mermaid have transitions. Frozen really doesn't. Of course, maybe I'm just not seeing the "story" because I'm not a very big fan of the movie (I'll take Rapunzel and Flynn over Anna and Kristoff anyday). I think the reason why it's easier to see a story with Pooh is that the ride tells the same story as the film's second short, "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day". Frozen Ever After doesn't retell the movie at all. They shoehorn in the "Let It Go" scene, but that's the only scene from the movie.

roj2323

Here's a good look at the progress of the M&G building from @ORLParkPass

CKT0hH5WcAA0QmC.jpg:large

Wow, I think this is the first time I've seen a prestressed concrete structure used in a park. (space mountain being an exception) They must be in a hurry.

ThemeParkJunkee

Wow, I think this is the first time I've seen a prestressed concrete structure used in a park. (space mountain being an exception) They must be in a hurry.

Nice pick up. I really didn't look close enough. I've seen more than one project done this way here in suburbia right across the road in the industrial park.

Bocabear

Most of the classic dark rides don't really follow a linear story per se, but I am sure it will be fine... Maelstrom was not the best ride in the world and certainly needed an upgrade...It was sort of over before it had barely begun... So now We will have snippets from Frozen and the ride will be over before it has barely begun... Without extending the track and footprint, we are not going to get much more than we had... it will have better characters and fun music, so that is a real plus....It's location on the WDW property is more the issue but that has been debated ad nauseum here....so...at least they are not closing it down like they are doing all over DHS, and it will be a fresher attraction. That's the plusses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom