Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Thomas

That's a real bummer to hear cuz as somebody who hasn't been there yet Epcot always looked special, it seemed like a piece of Walt and the '64 World's Fair lived on.
I haven't see Frozen and kinda don't want to but the ride looks like fun, I definitely will ride it, it just looks and feels like it should be in the Magic Kingdom.
Go watch Frozen, it's one of my fave Disney movies now!

Cosmic Commando

Yes here in the UK we can get things like 14 day tickets cheaper than what it would cost you guys in America to buy. We really get great value though with our AP's that we buy direct from Disney at the same price as you would pay.
The only way we can even get a 14 day ticket in the U.S. is by taping together a 10 day ticket and a 4 day ticket. :banghead:

jt04

I'm sure this has been asked before but are they turning Epcot into an all character Park instead of a World's Fair?

It is a good thing as the original concept no longer works. While it once was difficult for Future World to keep ahead of the future, now it is impossible.

And when world showcase opened you could not get the same diversity of cuisine that is now available in most towns. And you could not easily travel to China or even hop around Europe as you can today.

The concept became obsolete. A reimagining is called for. IMO.

MerlinTheGoat

Keeping up with the future was not and still isn't impossible or even that difficult, at least not for any competent theme park business who see the need to continually invest in their product. Disney quite simply gave up trying because the current regime would rather let attractions and exhibits quite literally rot away instead of properly investing in upgrading them as needed. It was absolutely their own fault, it's still not even too late to successfully return to the old philosophy (which would benefit them financially if done right). They did a pretty good job keeping up until the mid 90's, which was when they stopped giving a poop about Future World. They weren't losing money maintaining the original mission, they just got greedy and lazy.

It's not that difficult to swap out exhibits at Innoventions occasionally to convey breakthroughs in technology still many years out. One easy example just off the top of my head are transparent displays that have been shown at recent CES shows, I can think of many more unrepresented examples of future tech (CES has a lot of good ideas, it's what Innoventions should strive to be). Even Oculus Rift headsets are a perfect idea that they've just ignored entirely for the entirety of their existence, the prototype devkits aren't even that expensive to buy yourself (though few people have them yet as the consumer model still hasn't released).

And continuing to upgrade rides every 5 years or so when needed would also maintain the model of success with EPCOT (as they did with Spaceship Earth several times between 1982 and 1994). It would only be difficult if all they decided to do was to showcase smartphones and tablets. There's far more to technology than that...

As for Future World... Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican and other such foreign restaurants were super common in many cities even before EPCOT was built. Not much has changed, just that there are a lot more of the same type of restaurant (especially Asian and Mexican). But they were already common before EPCOT had opened. Also from 1982 until the late 1990's, most of EPCOT's cuisine was FAR superior to many of these international restaurants you'd find in random cities. World Showcase had some of the best and most authentic food you could get apart from visiting the actual countries. This has changed in some places with food quality declining thanks to poor management, but this wasn't always the case.

There are also a number of cultures that don't have much (if any) culinary representation in America. Restaurants for Moroccan, Canadian, German, Norwegian and even French (and others) are few to none. You see common ones like I mentioned above, but there are still a lot of rarely represented countries when it comes to food in the US.

As for travel, it was in my experience no more difficult to conduct regular international air travel in the 80's and 90's than it is now. In fact i'd argue many people have been turned off of air travel in the modern era due to all the post-9/11 bull people have to put up with from security. A vast quantity of people are far more willing to travel to WDW to eat than to Europe or Asia.

I didn't know what a "Worlds Fair" even was as a child when I first visited EPCOT (only learned about that afterwards). I didn't care about what it was based off either, all I saw was a fantastic, unique and creative theme park with wonderful attractions and great food. It was the original spark for my love in technology and interest in other cultures. The concept isn't obsolete, what's obsolete is the way the modern Disney company has come to treat and maintain their parks and attractions.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Keeping up with the future was not and still isn't impossible or even that difficult, at least not for any competent theme park business who see the need to continually invest in their product. Disney quite simply gave up trying because the current regime would rather let attractions and exhibits quite literally rot away instead of properly investing in upgrading them as needed. It was absolutely their own fault, it's still not even too late to successfully return to the old philosophy (which would benefit them financially if done right). They did a pretty good job keeping up until the mid 90's, which was when they stopped giving a poop about Future World. They weren't losing money maintaining the original mission, they just got greedy and lazy.

It's not that difficult to swap out exhibits at Innoventions occasionally to convey breakthroughs in technology still many years out. One easy example just off the top of my head are transparent displays that have been shown at recent CES shows, I can think of many more unrepresented examples of future tech (CES has a lot of good ideas, it's what Innoventions should strive to be). Even Oculus Rift headsets are a perfect idea that they've just ignored entirely for the entirety of their existence, the prototype devkits aren't even that expensive to buy yourself (though few people have them yet as the consumer model still hasn't released).

And continuing to upgrade rides every 5 years or so when needed would also maintain the model of success with EPCOT (as they did with Spaceship Earth several times between 1982 and 1994). It would only be difficult if all they decided to do was to showcase smartphones and tablets. There's far more to technology than that...

As for Future World... Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican and other such foreign restaurants were super common in many cities even before EPCOT was built. Not much has changed, just that there are a lot more of the same type of restaurant (especially Asian and Mexican). But they were already common before EPCOT had opened. Also from 1982 until the late 1990's, most of EPCOT's cuisine was FAR superior to many of these international restaurants you'd find in random cities. World Showcase had some of the best and most authentic food you could get apart from visiting the actual countries. This has changed in some places with food quality declining thanks to poor management, but this wasn't always the case.

There are also a number of cultures that don't have much (if any) culinary representation in America. Restaurants for Moroccan, Canadian, German, Norwegian and even French (and others) are few to none. You see common ones like I mentioned above, but there are still a lot of rarely represented countries when it comes to food in the US.

As for travel, it was in my experience no more difficult to conduct regular international air travel in the 80's and 90's than it is now. In fact i'd argue many people have been turned off of air travel in the modern era due to all the post-9/11 bull people have to put up with from security. A vast quantity of people are far more willing to travel to WDW to eat than to Europe or Asia.

I didn't know what a "Worlds Fair" even was as a child when I first visited EPCOT (only learned about that afterwards). I didn't care about what it was based off either, all I saw was a fantastic, unique and creative theme park with wonderful attractions and great food. It was the original spark for my love in technology and interest in other cultures. The concept isn't obsolete, what's obsolete is the way the modern Disney company has come to treat and maintain their parks and attractions.

Agree. Mangum was right though when she said Epcot needs a shot in the arm,,, but stuffing in frozen and ousting Norway so to speak was not the right shot.

MerlinTheGoat

Agree. Mangum was right though when she said Epcot needs a shot in the arm,,, but stuffing in frozen and ousting Norway so to speak was not the right shot.
Absolutely. I'm most definitely not saying that EPCOT as is currently works, it certainly doesn't. But no one can reasonably complain about the original Worlds Fair theme not working anymore when that theme hasn't been utilized for the past two decades. As usual, the Frozen overlay is yet another example of a poor and inappropriate solution to an artificially fabricated problem. A fully and easily avoidable problem that they unnecessarily and deliberately caused themselves in the first place.

No one can really claim the "Worlds Fair" theme is outdated or doesn't work anymore when Disney dropped the commitment to the theme LONG ago. EPCOT cannot be a "lets let things rot and not upgrade attractions/exhibits for decades" park. But neither is it appropriate to make it a "spillover for Fantasyland's i'm a pretty little princess snowflake rides" park. Neither approach works, but the latter approach has been currently chosen because it allows Disney to basically "give up" on keeping the park properly updated.

Bocabear

Wow! Absolutely!!! Spot On!
The concept would still work if the money is invested to keep things fresh and current. IMO Magic Kingdom is all about traditions... EPCOT should be ever-changing (Future World). Had they kept up with the technology and the world, Future World would now still be relevant... With World Showcase, they never completed the original design... several attractions were never built, Country expansion has never happened... All of this can only be the result of mismanagement. They need to bring back the Future in Future World, and add in the attractions that should have been built in World Showcase...Bring the food back up to it's 1980s standards... Within the concept of the Walt Disney World Resort, it is perfectly acceptable and even preferable to have The Magic Kingdom as the traditional Disney Characters Park, DHS as the Disney Movies Park, Animal Kingdom as the Animal and adventure Park, and EPCOT as the unique Edutainment Park... Not sure why they feel a need to homogenize each park's aesthetic cramming characters into places they do not belong.

aladdin2007

Wow! Absolutely!!! Spot On!
The concept would still work if the money is invested to keep things fresh and current. IMO Magic Kingdom is all about traditions... EPCOT should be ever-changing (Future World). Had they kept up with the technology and the world, Future World would now still be relevant... With World Showcase, they never completed the original design... several attractions were never built, Country expansion has never happened... All of this can only be the result of mismanagement. They need to bring back the Future in Future World, and add in the attractions that should have been built in World Showcase...Bring the food back up to it's 1980s standards... Within the concept of the Walt Disney World Resort, it is perfectly acceptable and even preferable to have The Magic Kingdom as the traditional Disney Characters Park, DHS as the Disney Movies Park, Animal Kingdom as the Animal and adventure Park, and EPCOT as the unique Edutainment Park... Not sure why they feel a need to homogenize each park's aesthetic cramming characters into places they do not belong.

Because its cheaper, less effort, and they claim its what people want. :banghead: sigh

aladdin2007

Absolutely. I'm most definitely not saying that EPCOT as is currently works, it certainly doesn't. But no one can reasonably complain about the original Worlds Fair theme not working anymore when that theme hasn't been utilized for the past two decades. As usual, the Frozen overlay is yet another example of a poor and inappropriate solution to an artificially fabricated problem. A fully and easily avoidable problem that they unnecessarily and deliberately caused themselves in the first place.

No one can really claim the "Worlds Fair" theme is outdated or doesn't work anymore when Disney dropped the commitment to the theme LONG ago. EPCOT cannot be a "lets let things rot and not upgrade attractions/exhibits for decades" park. But neither is it appropriate to make it a "spillover for Fantasyland's i'm a pretty little princess snowflake rides" park. Neither approach works, but the latter approach has been currently chosen because it allows Disney to basically "give up" on keeping the park properly updated.

Totally agree. I will say if Norway had come through when the offer was there, all this may have been a little bit different. But we will never know now.

Matt_Black

Tangled to me was the beginning of a new era in Disney Animation. Love the music and the lantern scene is just perfect!

That's pretty much right on the money. While after the Pixar merger, the films had gotten progressively better after the low point that was Chicken Little, Tangled was the first really big hit WDAS had in sometime. That was followed by Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen and Big Hero 6, which likewise made a metric butt-ton of money. Admittedly, 2011's Winnie the Pooh was in the middle there, and it didn't make a whole lot, but remember, The Rescuers Down Under was sandwiched between The Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast, so there's precedent.

Bocabear

Because its cheaper, less effort, and they claim its what people want. :banghead: sigh
I think Disney's success was in not playing down to the lowest common denominator...doing things better and more cutting edge...that was the Disney difference...but I guess those times are gone. Now it is Chicken Nuggets and spinner rides and meet and Greets because that is what people say they want....and it is the cheapest experience for Disney to provide... for the most amount of money to the consumer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom