Non-Security Cast Members at Resort Security Stands trying to Better Collect Parking Fees

francism

I drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge as well on Tuesday, it was in the evening. I told them at the gate that we came to eat at the Mara, the guard asked if I knew where I was going, I said yes, and he let me in.

We ate dinner, the Mara was basically empty.

mikejs78

Premium Member
rumor i believe but i can bet my paycheck it has at the least been discussed by managment. the DMEs original purpose was to add value to staying on site to be another convenience that justified staying on site however in modern times the place is bursting at the seams and they are nickle and diming across property and it hasn't yet blunted growth. the DME is no longer needed as a carrot.
No, they want DME to keep people on site. If you don't drive (disincentivised with parking fee) but you take their free shuttle, you are far less likely to spend one of your vacation days at Universal...

homerdance

No, they want DME to keep people on site. If you don't drive (disincentivised with parking fee) but you take their free shuttle, you are far less likely to spend one of your vacation days at Universal...
But if they only charge you $x , which is less than parking and a car, chances are you will still pay to use. DME

TrojanUSC

Exactly, no car means no way to go to cheaper restaurants, outlet malls, competitive theme parks, etc. It has been an immensely profitable endeavor, especially when combined with Magic Your Way tickets that heavily discount each day added.

zombiebbq

Exactly, no car means no way to go to cheaper restaurants, outlet malls, competitive theme parks, etc. It has been an immensely profitable endeavor, especially when combined with Magic Your Way tickets that heavily discount each day added.
Are Ubers allowed on property? Because with the rise in that service's popularity, and its relative cost compared to renting a car / paying parking fees I can't see how Disney will continue to bank on this - hence the DME fee. I would never rent a car again for a Disney visit at this point.

matt9112

point is you dont need to do that anymore....especially with parking fees lyft and uber make it far harder to bolt you down anyway so why not make a few bucks?

matt9112

Are Ubers allowed on property? Because with the rise in that service's popularity, and its relative cost compared to renting a car / paying parking fees I can't see how Disney will continue to bank on this - hence the DME fee. I would never rent a car again for a Disney visit at this point.

yes they are and theres lyft too...very resonable to get over to uni too.

TrojanUSC

point is you dont need to do that anymore....especially with parking fees lyft and uber make it far harder to bolt you down anyway so why not make a few bucks?

Of course - Disney saw this coming and launched MinnieVan. A more expensive version of the exact same service but they keep all the profits. They're preying on housewives in the midwest that once read an article about how Uber is scary so they'd rather take a Minnievan instead. With the sole exception being those going to Ft. Wilderness and MK, where there is some added convenience.

TrojanUSC

They are but I'd wager to guess 75% of people staying at a Disney hotel have no idea Uber exists on property and would never think to take it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Those are the reasons we rent a car, plus to get groceries, which are far cheaper than to use a Garden Grocer or similar even when you factor in the cost of the rental vehicle.

And if anyone else has noticed, each additional day after 4 on tickets has gotten progressively more expensive. You used to be able to add on days 5, 6, and 7 for $3/day (in 2010), now it's $10/day for the same. To be fair, though, it was $15-20 or more per day as recently as 2017, so it has come down a little this year.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Of course - Disney saw this coming and launched MinnieVan. A more expensive version of the exact same service but they keep all the profits. They're preying on housewives in the midwest that once read an article about how Uber is scary so they'd rather take a Minnievan instead. With the sole exception being those going to Ft. Wilderness and MK, where there is some added convenience.
There's the car seat aspect for the minivan too, which is hit or miss for Uber/Lyft drivers, and you then have to count on their ability to install the carseat safely. With Minnie Vans, you know that their drivers have been specifically trained on installing them safely. For my family, that's a reason to choose Minnie Vans over Uber or Lyft.

Surfin' Tuna

There's the car seat aspect for the minivan too, which is hit or miss for Uber/Lyft drivers, and you then have to count on their ability to install the carseat safely. With Minnie Vans, you know that their drivers have been specifically trained on installing them safely. For my family, that's a reason to choose Minnie Vans over Uber or Lyft.
I remember when I read about the car seats and still didn't think it was worth the extra money Disney is charging. Then I had an occasion to need a vehicle with two car seats, so I used the minnievan. I have to say, it was nice. The vehicle was clean, the cast member was nice, and it was fun for the kids. I wouldn't use it every day, but I take back all the bashing I did of the service when it was first announced. I'm sure they'll bump the price again soon, and I'll be right back to the Uber app. For now, it is nice to get the two seat option included for families with kids.

twilight mitsuk

And nonstop service to bb, tl, and minigolf

matt9112

as an aside you do know the actual statistical chances of car seats actually protecting the kiddos right? im not pulling this out of thin air nor critiquing your decision but fun fact is essentially they only help in small accidents at very low speed where cuts and scratches may be prevented but at higher cruising speeds make no difference in statistical survivability odds. than again i had always brought the car seat down since free to fly but that doesn't really work for uber or lyft.

mikejs78

Premium Member
as an aside you do know the actual statistical chances of car seats actually protecting the kiddos right? im not pulling this out of thin air nor critiquing your decision but fun fact is essentially they only help in small accidents at very low speed where cuts and scratches may be prevented but at higher cruising speeds make no difference in statistical survivability odds. than again i had always brought the car seat down since free to fly but that doesn't really work for uber or lyft.
That's patently false, and every legitimate, peer reviewed study has shown that car seats dramatically reduce fatalities in both low and high speed impacts. The only one that shows otherwise is the "study" conducted by the authors of SuperFreakanomics, whose methods have been highly criticized.

YankeeMouse

Seems like the parking enforcement has been more at the Deluxe monorail resorts to keep guests away from going to the MK. We like to get breakfast, tonga toast yessss, at Poly and can usually park there for that. It's not ADR, it's just at Captain Cook's. They've never given us a paper ticket with a time allotment. We have gone over to MK after that on the launch or monorail for a couple of hours. Disney transportation used to be for all "resort guests". We are always resort guests, just not always at the Poly. Contemporary will turn you down flat much more quickly. Parking at WL and AKL should be allowed for guests to look around, as they are are so architecturally unique and to experience the animal savannas. Never been turned down there either. And years ago, after experiencing both of those resorts while staying at another, we made many reservations at the AKL and WL. It should be considered good advertising for future stays. Should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom