Non-Security Cast Members at Resort Security Stands trying to Better Collect Parking Fees

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Boardwalk obviously is a bit different as there are more bars/clubs. But at some resorts it does feel a bit like the restaurants are all full of guests from other resorts and there is no availability for people staying at that hotel.
Disney doesn’t care about that one iota. They want the restaurants full. Preferably full at 180 days. Look at what just happened to Artist Point. A very good restaurant at a very nice hotel that actually had availablity for guests of the Wilderness Lodge. Disney got tired of it not being 100% booked so they slashed the menu and brought in characters.

Disney isn’t trying to improve the experience of onsite guests here. They are simply trying to make sure they shake down every single guest.

Yes this will effect resort eateries, but that’s a case of Disney’s left hand not coordinating with their right hand. Lefty wants the restaurants full, right wants his parking fees. Guests suffer.

Jon81uk

Disney isn’t trying to improve the experience of onsite guests here. They are simply trying to make sure they shake down every single guest.

Oh yes that is true, I wish they were trying to improve things for guests at the resort they are staying in. But the nightly parking fees demonstrate they are just after the money.

I would expect a fee to come in for day guests without ADRs at some point for some resorts (obviously Boardwalk is different), although it may need to be a higher fee than the main theme park parking.

Capsin4

Sounds like typical Disney chaos. Hasn’t pay parking been a thing for decades now? Seems like it’s pretty easy to validate a room with paid parking by scanning a band or card on exit. Anyone else should pay on exit unless they have a validated receipt or an entry ticket with less than some amount of time on it to weed out park visitors.

Maybe Disney doesn’t want the expense that would bring or the potential extra hassle to guests. Regardless, it seems poorly implemented, but they don’t care because it’s just a money grab.

Jon81uk

Sounds like typical Disney chaos. Hasn’t pay parking been a thing for decades now? Seems like it’s pretty easy to validate a room with paid parking by scanning a band or card on exit. Anyone else should pay on exit unless they have a validated receipt or an entry ticket with less than some amount of time on it to weed out park visitors.

Maybe Disney doesn’t want the expense that would bring or the potential extra hassle to guests. Regardless, it seems poorly implemented, but they don’t care because it’s just a money grab.

Parking at resorts was always free for everyone until this year.

threvester

According to the manager I spoke with at WL who came to see if I was still having issues with my door lock, the parking fee for each night is added to the guest's resort folio the last night of their stay. DVC members staying on points or cash at a DVC resort will not have the fee charged as the reservation will be tagged as DVC.

But yes, it's strange that the OP was asked to pay at the gate.
The parking fee is added to your folio daily, not all at once at the end

matt9112

A good number of people on this site claim to no longer go to WDW for various reasons but continue to post here.

i still post here and havent been in 6 months. might come back i do miss it....i feel like i get a much better value and overall experience at universal now but lets be real the cant touch disney nostalgia i have for all the rides. i really miss AK and epcot. i cant really justify two APs at once this holiday season will be the test. since you know no block out dates for same price as disney silver.

matt9112

Rumour or was there a thread supporting this oncoming fee?

rumor i believe but i can bet my paycheck it has at the least been discussed by managment. the DMEs original purpose was to add value to staying on site to be another convenience that justified staying on site however in modern times the place is bursting at the seams and they are nickle and diming across property and it hasn't yet blunted growth. the DME is no longer needed as a carrot.

BigThunderMatt

Why is this a big deal?

Because parking, especially at the deluxe resorts around MK, is limited. There are PLENTY of people who would make up any kind of story to park at the resorts for free and take transportation from there to the parks. It's the same reason Disney Springs doesn't offer theme park transportation. A lot of people see this as a cash grab but even at the resorts that had what some would view as plenty of parking such as Coronado Springs, 1 day of a massive drive-in convention (people not staying on-site for the conference) and the calls would come pouring in from leisure guests that there was nowhere to park (because Cast Members would have to park in the leisure guest areas because their normal lot had been allocated for convention guests). Not to mention parking fees are industry standard, even if it wasn't a line item on your folio at checkout before Disney changed the rules, you were paying for it somewhere in the thousands of dollars your package cost.

BigThunderMatt

So you are saying that Disney now is charging double for parking.

No, they're just making it readily apparent. Probably in an effort to reduce vehicular traffic to the resorts. It's a lot easier to swallow a fee for something menial like parking when you don't have it listed there in black and white.

Industry standards would also include some kind of point or rewards system. Shouldn't Disney do that to get in line with industry standards?

Apples and oranges. You'd have like 6 choices of places to go. There are plenty of independent boutique hotels out there that charge for parking that are not part of any big brand name rewards system.

BigThunderMatt

It's ironic because I detect the snark coming from you.

Hey I was just answering @DisneyShe 's question. You're the one who came in guns blazing trying to downplay my entire post with a weak one-liner. If you don't want me to sit here and discuss the flaws in your logic do something more constructive to the conversation than putting words in my mouth and poorly attempting to dissect what I said.

wdwfan22

The parking fee is added to your folio daily, not all at once at the end

That wasn't true for us. We just stayed for 8 nights at Contemporary and 8 Nights at Polynesian. Parking was not added until the end of both of our visits. We know this as we request print outs of our folio every 3 nights during our stay. Parking was never on the bill until the end of the trip.

shernernum

No, they're just making it readily apparent. Probably in an effort to reduce vehicular traffic to the resorts. It's a lot easier to swallow a fee for something menial like parking when you don't have it listed there in black and white.

Apples and oranges. You'd have like 6 choices of places to go. There are plenty of independent boutique hotels out there that charge for parking that are not part of any big brand name rewards system. Try again and lose the snark.

Except the price for the hotel continues to rise as well as the associated fees. They added a parking fee in black and white, while still charging the same if not more for the hotel that "included the fee in its pricing." So, yes, so the other poster's point stands, they are charging double for it.

BigThunderMatt

Except the price for the hotel continues to rise as well as the associated fees. They added a parking fee in black and white, while still charging the same if not more for the hotel that "included the fee in its pricing." So, yes, so the other poster's point stands, they are charging double for it.

You do realize when you pay for a package you're not paying rack rate for the room, nor are the cost of individual line items broken down, right? You pay a flat rate per person, per night. The prices were going to go up either way. Who's to say the last price increase was at the normal rate less the cost of the parking fee per night which is being charged as a separate line item now? To put it another way, the cost per person may have increased commensurately more if they had not made the parking fee a separate line item.

There's no real way to prove you're being charged for it twice anyway since Disney never releases the cost breakdown for packages. Does this apply to room only? Sure. Rack rates went up, but if parking hadn't started being charged separately, they may have gone up more.

DisneyGigi

Because parking, especially at the deluxe resorts around MK, is limited. There are PLENTY of people who would make up any kind of story to park at the resorts for free and take transportation from there to the parks. It's the same reason Disney Springs doesn't offer theme park transportation. A lot of people see this as a cash grab but even at the resorts that had what some would view as plenty of parking such as Coronado Springs, 1 day of a massive drive-in convention (people not staying on-site for the conference) and the calls would come pouring in from leisure guests that there was nowhere to park (because Cast Members would have to park in the leisure guest areas because their normal lot had been allocated for convention guests). Not to mention parking fees are industry standard, even if it wasn't a line item on your folio at checkout before Disney changed the rules, you were paying for it somewhere in the thousands of dollars your package cost.
What I mean by why is it a big deal is why would people expect to park all day at a resort they are not staying at. I don’t think you should be able to do that period, because as you said people take advantage of it. I always assumed they didn’t let you in the regular parking lot without having ADRs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom