Non-Security Cast Members at Resort Security Stands trying to Better Collect Parking Fees

JaxFLBear

Bpmorley

Today I was denied parking at Animal Kingdom Lodge by a non security cast member. I was just trying to eat lunch and take some pictures of the pool construction.

I was told they are now enforcing parking fees starting at the security booth.
What happened to the OP was against Disney's policy for day guests.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Maybe I read it wrong, but the OP says they were denied parking at AKL where they wanted to eat. Am I reading that wrong?

peter11435

That's not what the OP is saying.
The OP’s experience is not current Disney policy. Day guests should not be charged for parking.

There are missing details that don’t explain why the OP was denied parking.

Disney has always had the right and occasionally enforced the ability to deny parking when not holding a resort or restaurant reservation.

disneymillionaire

We went to Animal Kingdom Lodge twice during our last trip (Oct 17-18) - once to dine at Boma and once to pick up a pair of sunglasses we left behind. Both times security just waived us through - didn't ask name or ask to see Magic Band.

YankeeMouse

Making it easy to visit resorts like AKL or WL is good business. If you aren't allowed to park there to look around at the beautiful lobbies then you might forgo visiting there, not wanting the hassle of bus transportation...and may never pay a hefty price to stay at these deluxe resorts.

RollerCoaster

They could also just do what literally every other place does - set up paid exit gates where guests will need validation. The Disneyland Hotels do this.

That type of setup is typical for convention hotels or hotels that charge parking by the hour.

There are simpler solutions that don't require redesigning the entrance and exits to the resort or as much equipment.

If they don't want to charge upon entry. They could do as they do now inquire why you're visiting and inform you upon exit they require a hotel parking permit (magic band or ticket) or a paid parking ticket. Drop offs and transportation vehicles could be handed a time based exit ticket upon entry (valid for so many minutes).

Parking exit tickets could be purchased at an automated kiosk or hotel front desk. Restaurants could also sell or give out parking exit tickets to diners.

Automated machines could collect the tickets on exit.

How does Disney enforce parking fees for hotel guests? Simple... require that all cars parked in their lots between the hours of 3:00 am and 5:00 am display a valid permit on dash and tow offending vehicles.

Another even easier solution. Hand everyone a ticket upon entry and require that the ticket be paid or validated before exit. The first 20 minutes could be free for drop offs and transportation vehicles. The timestamped ticket will force hotel guests to settle tabs and restaurant guests to actually make a purchase.

RollerCoaster

Making it easy to visit resorts like AKL or WL is good business. If you aren't allowed to park there to look around at the beautiful lobbies

The hotels are not tourist attractions. They're not setup to be one, nor do they have the facilities to accommodate outside non-hotel guests in large numbers. They're primarily there for those who stay in them, attend an event, or dine in a restaurant. If you're not doing one of those three things then you should not be there.

There is not a single Disney hotel that is worth visiting to just look around. I've seen some spectacular hotels around the world, but Disney doesn't have a single property that deserves that sort of attention.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That type of setup is typical for convention hotels or hotels that charge parking by the hour.

There are simpler solutions that don't require redesigning the entrance and exits to the resort or as much equipment.

If they don't want to charge upon entry. They could do as they do now inquire why you're visiting and inform you upon exit they require a hotel parking permit (magic band or ticket) or a paid parking ticket. Drop offs and transportation vehicles could be handed a time based exit ticket upon entry (valid for so many minutes).

Parking exit tickets could be purchased at an automated kiosk or hotel front desk. Restaurants could also sell or give out parking exit tickets to diners.

Automated machines could collect the tickets on exit.

How does Disney enforce parking fees for hotel guests? Simple... require that all cars parked in their lots between the hours of 3:00 am and 5:00 am display a valid permit on dash and tow offending vehicles.

Another even easier solution. Hand everyone a ticket upon entry and require that the ticket be paid or validated before exit. The first 20 minutes could be free for drop offs and transportation vehicles. The timestamped ticket will force hotel guests to settle tabs and restaurant guests to actually make a purchase.
There's a simpler solution. Have RCID implement a tollway system on the roads of WDW, then hook up with SunPass and charge people using Toll-By-Plate.

Bpmorley

Most posts I've seen when someone was denied parking were typically for MK or Epcot area resorts which have limited parking to begin with.
Agreed. But in the past I've been told that I could not park at the Contemporary, even though I had a reservation, because there was a Christmas party that night. Then they had to nerve to try and charge me for the missed reservation.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The hotels are not tourist attractions. They're not setup to be one, nor do they have the facilities to accommodate outside non-hotel guests in large numbers. They're primarily there for those who stay in them, attend an event, or dine in a restaurant. If you're not doing one of those three things then you should not be there.

There is not a single Disney hotel that is worth visiting to just look around. I've seen some spectacular hotels around the world, but Disney doesn't have a single property that deserves that sort of attention.
4766c683d70d35db8bc4dbbbe502c040.jpg

Dave B

I have to disagree 100% with you post, they definitely are attractions, as each hotel is very different and interactive, it is a lot of fun to resort hop and see what they all offer

There is not a single Disney hotel that is worth visiting to just look around. I've seen some spectacular hotels around the world, but Disney doesn't have a single property that deserves that sort of attention.[/QUOTE

disneyflush

Your equation underestimates nostalgia but Disney's sure doesn't.

Casper Gutman

Is it just possible that the hastily-instituted, unclear new pay-to-park rule is being implemented imperfectly and unevenly across the resorts? That various managers and CMs, with little direction from above beyond the demand to collect more fees, are doing their best with mixed results? This seems especially likely, since parking has always been handled somewhat differently from one resort to another.

It seems particularly silly to declare that a poster didn’t experience what they thought they experienced because it runs counter to the publicly available version of the rules. Confusion has often ruled the day at WDW, after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom