No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

Nick Wilde

Like ryguy above me mentioned, I really don't think there's any problem whatsoever with people taking food into the parks. Sounds like the only reason for doing this is for more money. This is pretty ridiculous.

CaptainAmerica

Hundreds of South American Teenage girls chanting some silly song with no parents around with back packs strewn about in front of an attraction.

Horrible body odor from those who don't believe in deodorant. ( I know it's not Disney's fault but it still puts a stinker on your day)
Artificially lowering the cost of a WDW vacation by allowing outside food enables this type of guest.

Having to make reservations for fast passes, dining, etc 800 days in advance
I'm so sick of this myth. The last time I debunked it, there were next-day Fastpasses and dining reservations available in the middle of Presidents' Week, a very busy time. That includes Mine Train, Space, Splash, Thunder, and Peter Pan. My Disney Experience is an excellent tool for people who enjoy it and has just about zero impact on those that don't.

What do you think would happen if you weren't allowed to make dining reservations? You'd be waiting in line for Be Our Guest dinner starting at 9:00 AM.

Sub par food at insulting prices
Have you ever been to a baseball game, movie theater, Six Flags, or any moderate-to-upscale hotel? Disney food is quite good and relatively affordable. "More than you'd pay if you got it at Aldi and cooked it yourself" does not mean it's overpriced.

No new attractions worth a darn since Crush n Gusher. ( or at least Toy Story Mania)
Two new cruise ships, DCA, My Disney Experience, Seven Dwarfs, etc. Avatar, Toy Story, and Star Wars on the way.

deere839

The problem with this people save money to go to Disney and takes a while they need to cut cost down I think you should be allowed to bring food in except for Animal Kingdom for the same reason as SeaWorld and Busch parks for animal safety but other parks you should be able to bring in cheap meals from outside the park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Usually bring in 4-6 bottles of water or a CamelBak for hydration, No way in hell I'm drinking from the water fountains at WDW, But at least for me it's a theoretical problem because I have no AP's and no plans to buy ticket media for the forseeable future. So the choices are now wait 20 minutes or so on-line for a 'free' water or pay 3 bucks or so for a bottle of Dasani. Way to go Disney I'm sure your wall st overlords will love this move.

Yet down the road a piece you can fill your water bottle for free with filtered chilled water at any Freestyle machine, Oh and no limits on 'outside' water.

Yup more of the 'Going Out of Bizness' vibe

CDavid

Usually bring in 4-6 bottles of water or a CamelBak for hydration, No way in hell I'm drinking from the water fountains at WDW, But at least for me it's a theoretical problem because I have no AP's and no plans to buy ticket media for the forseeable future. So the choices are now wait 20 minutes or so on-line for a 'free' water or pay 3 bucks or so for a bottle of Dasani. Way to go Disney I'm sure your wall st overlords will love this move.

Yet down the road a piece you can fill your water bottle for free with filtered chilled water at any Freestyle machine, Oh and no limits on 'outside' water.

Yup more of the 'Going Out of Bizness' vibe

So, what's wrong with the water fountains at Walt Disney World?

Again, they may be doing this for the wrong reasons, but its actually the right move.

jaklgreen

I never went to WDW or Disneyland as a child but we did go on road trips and to zoos, etc. My Mom always packed sandwiches, always. If they could not bring the cooler with them into wherever we were, then we would go out to the car to eat. They did this because my Dad was cheap and did not want to pay for food. So my poor Mom always had all of the extra work that came with packing for a trip, even to the local zoo. From a child's perspective, this sucked! Seeing everyone else eating hot dogs and popcorn and ice cream and you are eating yet another ham sandwich(and they were always the same exact sandwich, ham, cheese, lettuce and mustard) was very disheartening. And it did not stop there, in the motel rooms they whipped out the electric skillet to grill up sandwiches or to cook the ramen soup packages(this was before microwaves). They would not buy food at a restaurant. For me, I refuse to go all of that extra work on a vacation. It is not a vacation if you are cooking or cleaning. As far as others bringing food into WDW, I don't care. If others want to live off of ham sandwiches(although with the heat I would not trust any small cooler) it does not bother me. Although I would ask you to think of the children. LOL I would like for Disney to make more picnic areas so they have someplace to sit because I have seen these people take up tables in the restaurants, which is kind of annoying.

Maccabee18

I hate to be the naysayer, but Disney is a business and can choose to run a business in any format it deems fit. From a business perspective, they have every right to protect it's assets, including food and beverage consumption by limiting what comes from the outside in.

Disney is in the business, to make money. While it is entertainment, and for the people, it is still a business. As a retail store manager nothing irks me more than when people come into my store, and ask for more discounts. I don't make the rules, I don't set the prices, and I certainly am not going to give you a lower price because it's out of your budget.

If you can't afford, or don't want to pay for the food, (whether it tastes good or bad) don't go to Disney, don't spend your money at the parks. You not going to the parks, and taking up reservations, will leave better fast passes, more food options, and a more enjoyable experience for my friends and family to not have crowds of people who can't budget, save money, or think they can circumvent the business trying to do business.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I hate to be the naysayer, but Disney is a business and can choose to run a business in any format it deems fit. From a business perspective, they have every right to protect it's assets, including food and beverage consumption by limiting what comes from the outside in.

Disney is in the business, to make money. While it is entertainment, and for the people, it is still a business. As a retail store manager nothing irks me more than when people come into my store, and ask for more discounts. I don't make the rules, I don't set the prices, and I certainly am not going to give you a lower price because it's out of your budget.

If you can't afford, or don't want to pay for the food, (whether it tastes good or bad) don't go to Disney, don't spend your money at the parks. You not going to the parks, and taking up reservations, will leave better fast passes, more food options, and a more enjoyable experience for my friends and family to not have crowds of people who can't budget, save money, or think they can circumvent the business trying to do business.
Well, as long as it's all about you and yours. But, I'm sure TWDC values your magical support....

jaklgreen

I agree with this sentiment. I think in this country people are so used to getting so much for free(like free water at restaurants and free soda refills, free bread service at restaurants, etc) things you do not get in other countries. That we have become a bit entitled. I work in a fast casual restaurant with sandwiches, salads, etc with an open kitchen so people will watch us mix up their salads and hand it to them. Well for some reason everyone thinks this means it is a salad bar where you can just pile on every single topping we have. We even get people ask for a small salad in a bigger bowl with extra lettuce!!??!! So basically they want a large salad at a small price. And get mad if you dare to charge them for what they get. It is getting out of control, this is how you go out of business. You cant keep giving stuff away for free. Like I said in my last post, I don't really care if people bring in a sandwich, but as a business I can see why Disney would want guests to buy their food there.

jaklgreen

Well, as long as it's all about you and yours. But, I'm sure TWDC values your magical support....

Why shouldn't they look out for themselves? Everyone does and so does Disney and every other business on the planet if you don't you go out of business and then you cant feed your kids. I really don't understand why you would say something so snarky to someone who is sharing their opinion on this and their personal perspective. Is it because you don't agree with them? If not then give please give us your opinion on it and not just a rude comment.

Buried20KLeague

I agree with this sentiment. I think in this country people are so used to getting so much for free(like free water at restaurants and free soda refills, free bread service at restaurants, etc) things you do not get in other countries. That we have become a bit entitled. I work in a fast casual restaurant with sandwiches, salads, etc with an open kitchen so people will watch us mix up their salads and hand it to them. Well for some reason everyone thinks this means it is a salad bar where you can just pile on every single topping we have. We even get people ask for a small salad in a bigger bowl with extra lettuce!!??!! So basically they want a large salad at a small price. And get mad if you dare to charge them for what they get. It is getting out of control, this is how you go out of business. You cant keep giving stuff away for free. Like I said in my last post, I don't really care if people bring in a sandwich, but as a business I can see why Disney would want guests to buy their food there.

I understand your sentiment, but equating being at a Disney park with expecting free stuff is quite an oxymoron, I think!! When I'm there, I'm less EXPECTING free stuff and rather PRAYING for something... Anything!

My guess is that this is to stop anything brought in with a cooler. If you stuff it in a backpack, I'm guessing it'll be allowed in.

beachlover4444

I have been coming to WDW since 1989. I was shocked they started allowing the coolers and mass amounts of food to come into the parks Of course they want the food revenue, duh. I've been over 50 times since then and yes the food prices are going up and up. What I've learned is share meals. Cosmic Rays burgers and fries easily can feed 2 and then share a mickey bar later. You can save on food at WDW if you are smart about it without feeling like you've been cheated or deprived. I work for a large hotel chain. If you dont think we try to pinch every penny and make every penny we can you're mistaken. It's business. And if your company isnt trying to make money and save money you wont have a job for long. I'm from Ohio. If you want to go to Cedar Point or Kings Island with your own food you go back out to the car and tailgate with your cooler. You never go into a park anywhere and take stuff in. And maybe this will make the wait time for bag check into the park a little faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom