No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
We always carry PB&J and water bottles into the park. By we, I mean me since I am the typical paternal pack mule. If it was just the 4 of us for our next trip, I would have no concerns at all, but we're going with my in-laws who are big into this. I'm assuming the implementation of this would be sooner rather than later? I'll deal, but I hate being the bearer of bad news.

JWG

Just allow a water bottle. We bring our filtered Camelback bottle to fill at water fountains throughout the day. I think snacks for a young child / toddler and water seem reasonable. I get we all have a different definition of reasonable, but water and food for a child not readily available otherwise seems fair.

cdeev8690

I always bring granola bars and an empty Brita water bottle to be filled at a water fountain. Folks bringing in little pb&js or ham sandwiches, goldfish, teddy grahams, etc etc is harmless. On top of all of the recent events going on at WDW, banning any and all foods, big or small, would be pretty ridiculous. Attendance has been up and they're profiting massively from Star Wars and Frozen. Nickel-and-diming to this extent would be grossly offensive and petty. How far can this go? Charge 50 cents to use the bathrooms? A charge for gift bags at the merchandise stores?

devoy1701

I largely agree with this decision, but I doubt that Disney will exercise reasonable discretion. I have no problems with them banning a large amount of outside food from entering the park (coolers etc), but what about lil' Jimmy who has a small packet of raisins and a fruit drink in his backpack?

I can imagine that they'll enforce a rather draconian blanket ban.
This is my stance as well. As parents, I don't think (and don't expect) Disney to not allow things like snack pouches, goldfish, crackers, bottles of water, etc. It's probably not worth the bad PR.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
just for the record... Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN doesn't allow outside food or drink either

"After careful consideration of park policies across the nation, consultation with health and safety experts and much consideration of the welfare of our guests and employees alike, we are unable to allow coolers, food or drinks into Dollywood. Although we do not allow food or drink to be brought into the Park, Dollywood offers a wide variety of delicious foods available at our restaurants and snack vendors. (Special dietary needs should be addressed with the Foods Office prior to arrival at 865-428-9428.) However, if you would like to eat elsewhere or must leave for any reason during the day, remember to get your hand stamped and keep your admission ticket, then you can return later that same day. Dollywood does not have picnic areas at the Park, but if you would like to picnic somewhere, the Smoky Mountains National Park is a great place to visit."

DisneyFans4Life

They could very easily say no snacks or drinks at all because they sell small bags of Goldfish and pretzels in the stores for children. I don't see them selling food pouches though (like applesauce in a pouch).

I really doubt they would ever take it to this extreme though. They most likely want to prevent the people who bring in coolers of food and drink.

If this does go into effect, I wonder if it would apply to water parks as well because lots of people wheel in their coolers full of food and drinks. It's much more common at a water park than a theme park.

BernardandBianca

Disneyland doesn't allow it

That was my understanding, at least around the turn of the century (20 into 21, not the other one) when we lived there. They had picnic benches outside the park next to the parking lot (since removed for DCA) where you could bring your basket and eat.

FerretAfros

Disneyland may not officially allow it (I've always thought this was the case for WDW as well), but they don't do anything to stop it. In fact, since the security area crosses the entire Esplanade, they have to let food through, since many people are just passing through (perhaps to the picnic area next to the Mickey & Friends tram stop, or taking leftovers from DTD back to the hotel).

Of the more ridiculous food items that I've brought through with no issues in the past are 20 PB&J sandwiches and a full pie. The only time I've ever seen somebody stopped was for a jar of peanuts, and only because it was made of glass; the security guard even encouraged them to move the peanuts into a plastic bag so they could bring them along

I've always assumed that this was an official policy that was simply never enforced well. Like the "new" costume regulations, I would have no problem with them actually cracking down on this, though they will need to step up their game and make sure that the restaurants are properly staffed to provide adequate capacity (which they rarely are)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
As a leader in the Disney Apologist parade, this would be a massive problem for me. While I rarely do bring food into the park, the option is always there, and that is a good thing. It's a very good way to impact your trip budget, a quick run to Safeway and a backpack full of sandwiches.
I have no problems imagining people at Disney actually talking about this, but I have a hard time seeing them going forward with it. I'd be willing to bet it's a conversation that has come up often over the long history of the park, and cooler heads have seemingly prevailed so far. I'll continue to hope that this too will be one of those situations, and like the cuts, will go away with the start of the new fiscal year in October.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

There are some big functional differences between WDW and DL. 1) It is easy to leave DL and walk to a nearby restaurant. We even found this hole in the wall Chinese place located in a strip mall across from our hotel that we really liked. 2) DLR doesn't seem to have all its restaurants slammed all the time. I was able to get seated for lunch at Blue Bayou with a reservation made the day before. This was in the middle of July so I wouldn't suspect it was slow season. Plus, the place was mostly empty. Same was true of the Little Mermaid sit down place we ate at in DCA. Easy to get a reservation and not many other people eating there. Also, the walk up places aren't slammed. If WDW wants a really strict policy with regards to this it seems like some seasonal restaurants would have to become non-seasonal. 3) Everything there is imminently walkable and they do have a little picnic area between the parks which is nice. 4) And apparently it is not strictly enforced anyways.

All that being said, I do think carrying a cooler into a theme park is pretty extreme. You could also ban outside food from restaurants. I'd cope if I couldn't carry my PB&J sandwich in. I'll admit it was always a bit of an outlier in terms of policy, but it always seemed like it was kind of a nod to the specific situation of WDW (no easily accessible outside restaurants and the fact the restaurants that are in the parks are bursting at the seams).

I hope they do address the counter service situation if this becomes policy. They've been at the point for a while now that people with trays of food can find seating to be challenging. Someone putting Miracle Whip on a piece of bread is going to seem like a good thing after two frustrated dads with trays of 14 dollar fajitas can't find a place to sit at Peco's Bills and engage in a rousing round of fisticuffs. It will probably go on for a while too since Disney can't afford to pay the wage bill necessary to have folks around to intervene. The total dollar amount of beverage spillage will rival the GDP of many small countries.

DisneyChik17

They used to be so weird about this, even just 6 years ago. When I was a CM, I would bring my water bottle and one security guard made me chug the whole thing if I wanted to keep the bottle (I learned my lesson there, as it was crystal light and vodka). I always take an empty bottle in now and get water once inside. It never fails though, once a week or so, I get stuck behind the pack mule family: 2 purses, 2 back packs, 2 strollers, huge cooler, 82 pockets in these bags. I wouldn't mind a no cooler/outside food rule. Disney will make money, sure, but there are surely multiple additional concerns there: backup at security, already a lack of QS tables and people now don't even buy the food, the ability to sneak in contraband, etc.

I guess it doesn't really effect me that much, except my line will be longer for my corndog nuggets now. Oh well...

ryguy

In my 35 years of going to WDW never once has a person eating food on a bench ruined my guest experience. Never once did I get back from my trip and say "gosh did you notice how many people brought in their own food, Disney should really crack down on this".

Let me tell you what ruin's guest experiences:

Hundreds of South American Teenage girls chanting some silly song with no parents around with back packs strewn about in front of an attraction.

Horrible body odor from those who don't believe in deodorant. ( I know it's not Disney's fault but it still puts a stinker on your day)

Having to make reservations for fast passes, dining, etc 800 days in advance

Sub par food at insulting prices

No new attractions worth a darn since Crush n Gusher. ( or at least Toy Story Mania)

Should I go on?

This has nothing to do with guest experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom