No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Still tastes like soda made from Crystal light packets.

I agree with this. When I drink soda it is straight Coke and it doesn't taste right out of the Freestyle machines. As a result, when a freestyle machine is my only source of soda I grudgingly add a flavor but I'd rather have plain old Coca-Cola.

Interesting - At least up here in the Boston area the freestyle machines taste like the drink in the bottle, Sounds like time for a blind taste test among friends - get some 'Freestyle' coke and Bottled coke and give it a test without knowing which is which

EDIT: For the record I prefer unsweetened tea as my beverage of choice so I may not be the best qualified to do soda comparisons.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Interesting - At least up here in the Boston area the freestyle machines taste like the drink in the bottle, Sounds like time for a blind taste test among friends - get some 'Freestyle' coke and Bottled coke and give it a test without knowing which is which

EDIT: For the record I prefer unsweetened tea as my beverage of choice so I may not be the best qualified to do soda comparisons.

Ha. As if @George hasn't already done this. He's a scientist you know. My guess is, he is currently typing up the results of his Septemeber 2015 double blind taste test as we speak. Why he writes up these reports long hand in the first place is beyond me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ha. As if @George hasn't already done this. He's a scientist you know. My guess is, he is currently typing up the results of his Septemeber 2015 double blind taste test as we speak. Why he writes up these reports long hand in the first place is beyond me.

Because you can't trust those computers to get the nuance that longhand conveys,

rael ramone

Ugh. This is the first I've heard of it and it really bothers me. I have dietary issues - I have to be very careful about sodium content in my food and also follow a migraine diet which means avoiding processed, overly-seasoned food. I also like to snack frequently :) All of this makes dining at Disney a challenge at the best of times.

As a result, I often take snacks (an apple, a juice box) and definitely a bottle of water so that I don't have to rely on eating Disney food 100 % of the time, thereby lessening the chance that I'll get sick. Bear in mind, when I go it's usually for a week, and we stay on-property, so we're really relying on Disney food for our main meals. It's nice to have control over what I'm eating some of the time.

I've had many, many trips to Disney and I've never seen anything really egregious in terms of people bringing their own food into the park. For the most part, what I see is a mom handing out baggies of carrots to her kids, or the much-mentioned goldfish crackers.

This goes beyond questions of money - it's also a question of convenience. If you have three kids who are about to go into meltdown because they need a snack, it's not always practical to line up and buy something. At busy times, the line-ups for quick-service can be really long. I don't blame parents for packing snacks for their kids, partly to save money but just as importantly for the sake of time and convenience. And I don't think I'm doing anything wrong by taking snacks that I know fit my dietary needs.

If Disney actually enforces this policy, they're really going backwards in terms of offering the best experience to their customers. The overall experience is not just about what Disney offers (attractions, dining, etc...) but also about what flexibility guests can have. This is especially true if you're there for more than a one-day trip.

I'm looking at the Disney Dining Official Site. It won't let me copy the text, but in essence (for Table Service):

Advanced arrangements are not necessary for Lifestyle Dietary Requests.

They will use 'reasonable efforts' through attention to sourcing, handling, preparation of items to avoid allergens. Can't guarantee that food items are 100% allergen free throughout the chain or through inadvertent handling. No separate kitchens for making allergen free food.

I don't like Cauliflower, so leaving cauliflower out of my dish is a Lifestyle Request.

Allergens is different. I'm sure the Policy has been written by lawyers. What may meet what they feel is 'reasonable' may be a total no-go for a severe food allergy sufferer (only a restaurant that vows 100% perfection in Cross Contact avoidance can be trusted), but others all they need is that the allergen isn't an actual ingredient.

In the end, what matters is that The Mouse is CONSISTENT in their policy (which would seem to be allowing food in for those who have health reasons). If food in general is blocked, then ALL who enforce it need to know how to apply the policy with food for health needs. If they ever decide to be unyielding with regards for these needs, then those who have these needs should know in advance so they can make the necessary arrangements (which may include taking their vacation dollar elsewhere)...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I may be quitting that habit soon since there seems to be a negative correlation between my insistence that everyone I know participate in these studies and the likelihood that people will hang around with me. I don't know why this is the case, but the numbers never lie!

Because you can't trust those computers to get the nuance that longhand conveys,
I have been holding my latest survey up against the monitor so you can read it. What do you think?
I'm looking at the Disney Dining Official Site. It won't let me copy the text, but in essence (for Table Service):

Advanced arrangements are not necessary for Lifestyle Dietary Requests.

They will use 'reasonable efforts' through attention to sourcing, handling, preparation of items to avoid allergens. Can't guarantee that food items are 100% allergen free throughout the chain or through inadvertent handling. No separate kitchens for making allergen free food.

I don't like Cauliflower, so leaving cauliflower out of my dish is a Lifestyle Request.

Allergens is different. I'm sure the Policy has been written by lawyers. What may meet what they feel is 'reasonable' may be a total no-go for a severe food allergy sufferer (only a restaurant that vows 100% perfection in Cross Contact avoidance can be trusted), but others all they need is that the allergen isn't an actual ingredient.

In the end, what matters is that The Mouse is CONSISTENT in their policy (which would seem to be allowing food in for those who have health reasons). If food in general is blocked, then ALL who enforce it need to know how to apply the policy with food for health needs. If they ever decide to be unyielding with regards for these needs, then those who have these needs should know in advance so they can make the necessary arrangements (which may include taking their vacation dollar elsewhere)...

Whatevs. Disney has done a really poor job of honoring my request at some of their more "high end" eateries that I not be bothered by costumed weirdos whilst trying to eat. Some of these freakazoids seem hell bent on engaging in social pleasantries with my kids for god knows what purpose.

njDizFan

freestyle coke tastes aweful

When I owned my restaurant we leased our machine and had the coke/pepsi guy come out every once in a while to calibrate the machine. He would take off the nozzles and dispense the seltzer and syrup at the same time into a plastic container that measures the 2 liquids. There was a line on the container that showed the exact place they should measure for a consistant flavor profile(same as bottled). You did have an option to adjust it to your liking but I always kept mine as the standard.

There are other things that can drastically change the flavor. When changing CO2 tanks you should always let it run free for a few minutes(several gallons) until the line is clear. You see that sometimes when you get soda and it's all foam, there is probably some air pockets in the line causing it to spit. Also cleaning the nozzles consistantly and making sure you do not change lines that previously had another flavor(changing an orange soda to root beer), those flavors will stay in your line for months.

But even after all of that fountain soda has a taste that is never equal to bottled. It's the way it's dispensed and bottled, 2 very different techniques. Fountain soda is mixed at the time of pouring and you should not get a giant head of foam, espcially when cooled properly. Bottled soda is mixed and then capped instantly. It contains more pressure and if you notice when you poor bottled soda into a glass you will get much more foam.

As a hardcore soda drinker I enjoy both styles equally. A nice cold fountain beverage with ice is great but a newly opened 2 liter is more consistant. Just like beer, tap vs bottle, both have their benefits.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When I owned my restaurant we leased our machine and had the coke/pepsi guy come out every once in a while to calibrate the machine. He would take off the nozzles and dispense the seltzer and syrup at the same time into a plastic container that measures the 2 liquids. There was a line on the container that showed the exact place they should measure for a consistant flavor profile(same as bottled). You did have an option to adjust it to your liking but I always kept mine as the standard.

There are other things that can drastically change the flavor. When changing CO2 tanks you should always let it run free for a few minutes(several gallons) until the line is clear. You see that sometimes when you get soda and it's all foam, there is probably some air pockets in the line causing it to spit. Also cleaning the nozzles consistantly and making sure you do not change lines that previously had another flavor(changing an orange soda to root beer), those flavors will stay in your line for months.

But even after all of that fountain soda has a taste that is never equal to bottled. It's the way it's dispensed and bottled, 2 very different techniques. Fountain soda is mixed at the time of pouring and you should not get a giant head of foam, espcially when cooled properly. Bottled soda is mixed and then capped instantly. It contains more pressure and if you notice when you poor bottled soda into a glass you will get much more foam.

As a hardcore soda drinker I enjoy both styles equally. A nice cold fountain beverage with ice is great but a newly opened 2 liter is more consistant. Just like beer, tap vs bottle, both have their benefits.

Stuff like this is why I like this board there is always something new to learn

V_L_Raptor

The only parks that I know of that still allow people to bring in coolers of food are regional amusement parks like Kennywood.

Mind you, places like Kennywood and Idlewild practically have to allow coolers and everything else, because their picnic facilities are within the parks themselves, and they do make some money when groups reserve those pole sheds/pavilions. Those parks run under a tremendously different business model all the way 'round.

zweltar

freestyle coke tastes aweful
I agree 100%. I always feel like the Freestyle machines make every flavor taste like it has some remnant of another flavor in it. There have been times that my Diet Coke tastes like Dr Pepper, or something close to it.

epcotWSC

I've always preferred fountain soda to bottled. I think it's the fact that it tastes a little more watered down and less fizzy.

OliveMcFly

I had someone asking if they could bring a bottle of water into the parks due to her young daughter dehydrating quite quickly. I checked WDW's site and it says outside food can be brought in as long as it doesn't need to be prepared. Only bottles not allowed are glass. I'm hoping this is still the case. Not sure if we could say this is a medical condition.

betty rose

I agree with this. When I drink soda it is straight Coke and it doesn't taste right out of the Freestyle machines. As a result, when a freestyle machine is my only source of soda I grudgingly add a flavor but I'd rather have plain old Coca-Cola.
I like Pepsi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom