No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

dshow99

If those are the rules, and you can't handle not brown bagging your way into a theme park.
Yes, don't go.
No problem...I'm sure you never go over the speed limit and your tax returns are to the tee, because those are the rules. The point is, it is not a rule right now, is it? I suppose being thrifty is a bad thing, I apologize.

Princess_AmyK

I can understand aspects of this. Definitely don't think people should be bringing huge things of food into the parks but a bottle of water and a granola bar are super reasonable. I understand why they want to do this, of course, I just think that with the hot Florida weather, lots of small children who need specific snack foods, and the fact that many people have blood sugar issues, etc.., banning all food and drinks can have some negative side effects. I hope this is just a rumor and nothing more.

Plus I worry that there is too much grey area. What if it is a snack bought at another park? Do you have to throw that away? Or a drink you bought at your resort? It is still purchased from Disney.. It just seems like a difficult thing to enforce to me.

alphac2005

No, they wouldn't confiscate baby food or formula.
Food allergies? Most people who claim to have them - don't. That's right.
Legitimate
food allergies? Bring a doctors note.
Yes, I get quite intolerant with much of todays nonsense.
It seems everyone needs to be catered to.
I don't disagree with the sentiment at all, but that's also the reality of today. I had a doctor incorrectly diagnose me as Celiac and had to go through a year of eating gluten free before I was able to have a second skin test to re-evaluate things. I see all the gluten free products, people on all gluten free diets, and it makes my head want to explode because of the stupidity.

A doctor's note? C'mon, I'm sure that's practical. My post was snarky, that was the point of it. The bottom line is that the darn company is about sucking every last cent out your pockets today. It's never ending.

On a serious note, lots of little kids are really picky and have particulars that their parents can actually get them to eat as a snack or whatever and lots of those things aren't available at Disney to purchase. You really do cause an issue for lots of parents with small children.

CaptainAmerica

Guess you don't or haven't had a small child.
My daughter is sixteen months old, thank you very much. We've done a seven-night trip when she was six months old and a seven-night trip when she was thirteen months old. But go ahead with your snippy accusations.

The policy is laughable to people with small children. Would they confiscate baby food while they're at it?
Obviously they wouldn't do that. We're not talking about people with a baggy of Cheerios for their toddlers. We're talking about people who bring coolers full of Subway.

The endless food allergy type issues or kosher or halal foods, you name it, there are plenty of reasons that people bring in food from the outside besides it being an economic issue.
Dietary restrictions will obviously have exceptions. You're beating down this mythical hyper-restrictive policy that has no basis in reality.

On a serious note, lots of little kids are really picky and have particulars that their parents can actually get them to eat as a snack or whatever and lots of those things aren't available at Disney to purchase. You really do cause an issue for lots of parents with small children.
Then don't go. Your argument is akin to saying "some kids are afraid of flying, so Southwest needs to find a way to get you to Orlando without leaving the ground." Not every activity is appropriate for every temperament.

asianway

No problem...I'm sure you never go over the speed limit and your tax returns are to the tee, because those are the rules. The point is, it is not a rule right now, is it? I suppose being thrifty is a bad thing, I apologize.
Not really bad, more like pathetic

CaptainAmerica

Being over-the-top thrifty is tacky in an environment like Walt Disney World. It's like stealing sugar packets and ketchup from a gourmet steakhouse or stealing towels from the Four Seasons. It's Beverly Hillbillies.

The amount of people who support this in this thread really astonished me, and made me feel sad.

When I was younger, my parents would take my sister and I to Disney World every couple of years. We come from a middle-class family, but my parents didn't make the amount of money they should have for how hard they worked.

The only way my parents could afford to take my sister and I was by watching how we spent every penny on our trip. We drove instead of flying. We'd get 4 day passes for a 10 night trip. We'd borrow a tiny, 40 year-old camper from my grandparents and stay at Fort Wilderness for $50/night. We'd spend a lot of time doing "free" things like Downtown Disney or resort-hopping.

One of the biggest money-savers was bringing our own meals into the parks. It wasn't like we set up a picnic blanket or anything. The four of us would sit on a park bench, and eat our cold-cut sandwiches while we watched more privileged kids running around with Mickey ice cream bars and souvenir popcorn buckets.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but doing an entire day in a park, our family of 4 would save $70-$100 per day. To take that away and have everyone say "that's okay", yet when ticket prices go up $20/day and everyone losses it; dumbfounds me.

I suspect if you already purchase your meals in the park, taking this away doesn't affect you and so you're okay with it. I get that.

Just try to remember some people are already stretched so thin visiting, and bringing your own meals is a HUGE expense saver.

Animaniac93-98

While bringing in full meals is kind of ridiculous, snack bars, water bottles and sandwich bags are reasonable, especially with the incredibly crappy counter service food at insane price points.

In the past I have brought in a granola or protein bar into the park to tied me over between meals, neither of which can be purchased within the parks as far as I know. I'm fine with the policy change so long as it excludes smaller snack items.

CaptainAmerica

The amount of people who support this in this thread really astonished me, and made me feel sad.

When I was younger, my parents would take my sister and I to Disney World every couple of years. We come from a middle-class family, but my parents didn't make the amount of money they should have for how hard they worked.

The only way my parents could afford to take my sister and I was by watching how we spent every penny on our trip. We drove instead of flying. We'd get 4 day passes for a 10 night trip. We'd borrow a tiny, 40 year-old camper from my grandparents and stay at Fort Wilderness for $50/night. We'd spend a lot of time doing "free" things like Downtown Disney or resort-hopping.

One of the biggest money-savers was bringing our own meals into the parks. It wasn't like we set up a picnic blanket or anything. The four of us would sit on a park bench, and eat our cold-cut sandwiches while we watched more privileged kids running around with Mickey ice cream bars and souvenir popcorn buckets.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but doing an entire day in a park, our family of 4 would save $70-$100 per day. To take that away and have everyone say "that's okay", yet when ticket prices go up $20/day and everyone losses it; dumbfounds me.

I suspect if you already purchase your meals in the park, taking this away doesn't affect you and so you're okay with it. I get that.

Just try to remember some people are already stretched so thin visiting, and bringing your own meals is a HUGE expense saver.
That's a fine story, but we're talking about a luxury vacation, not access to clean water or healthcare. If a family can't afford a trip to Walt Disney World, then they shouldn't go to Walt Disney World.

Flame on.

GiveMeTheMusic

That's a fine story, but we're talking about a luxury vacation, not access to clean water or healthcare. If a family can't afford a trip to Walt Disney World, then they shouldn't go to Walt Disney World.

Flame on.

Luxury vacations don't include subpar offerings, closed facilities, reduced staffing and incessant queuing despite "reservations". WDW is a value engineered destination at a luxury price point. Maybe if Disney treated its "flagship" property like a luxury destination, its guests would as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom