No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

draybook

Are they going to "randomly" choose who to check for food and drink? I don't like the idea. I think there was on day on this trip where I brought a couple of Granola bars with me. Usually, we grab a bite off site and hit the parks. Trying to force people to pay their bloated prices for standard food fare is a really crappy thing to do.

And as far as cuts go, how about they try cutting some of those 5-6 security guards that are just standing around waiting to " randomly" select people for screening. I refuse to get behind an idea based on greed, whether I agree with it or not. If they do this then when we go during non FD or not on a bounce back then we'll just keep a cooler of food in the trunk like we did on our very first trip. Heck, that was our best trip anyways.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It happens, but not as many as folks here would want you to believe, nor probably enough for this change to be necessary.

However, as with many issues the News and Rumors, denizens like to focus on extreme minorities as if they are representative of the whole.

I have "family" that brought a Coors Light soft cooler into the parks everyday of their trip. But....

I agree with you, I don't remember noticing a large number of outside eaters ruining my day.

Have you ever watched another liquid to solid transition aka freezing? Not many solids are less dense their liquid state, though a few are.

Nerd alert!!!!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Guys, guys come on now! Do we all really believe that Disney security are going to be confiscating granola bars and goldfish crackers at the bag check? I may have to eat my hat here but to me that is just plain silly. Maybe all the budget cuts have been to hire more guest relations cast members to deal with the upcoming complaints about confiscated snacks! ;)

danv3

Personally this doesn't upset me too much. As long as I can bring in a bottle of water, I'm good. Not sure I have ever brought a snack into the parks. (Mrs. danv3 might carry in a granola bar from time to time.)

That said, when you look at this in the context of the recent price increases and cuts across the board, I don't know that this policy, if implemented, will reflect well on Disney. It's easy to view this as a cash grab--regardless of whether that's Disney's actual intention.

CDavid

If a family can't afford a trip to Walt Disney World, then they shouldn't go to Walt Disney World..

That's a bit elitist, frankly. Define "can't afford". Some families probably spend more on transportation to Florida than others spend on the entire vacation. Others save up for years for a once in a lifetime trip. It may well be everything they can do just to make the trip happen; From a financial standpoint they arguably, indeed, can't really afford the trip. But who are you or anyone else to decide they shouldn't go?

This is infuriating. The reason the "Disney is a business" argument gets brought up so often is because so many people are ignorant of or hostile to that fact..

You really believe there are people here who honestly don't know that Disney is a business? Really?

Are they going to "randomly" choose who to check for food and drink?.

Disney already searches bags being brought into the parks, so this isn't even an issue. They aren't going to be worried over the candy bar or pack of gum you have in your pocket. Anything more substantial you aren't going to have on your person; It'll be in a bag or something, so it gets checked regardless.

Again, I think this is actually a good move by Disney and hope the new policy gets implemented; They honestly should have done this long ago. Actually, they should never have let the introduction of outside food become so prevalent in the first place, and people wouldn't now be so upset about it. You were always permitted to leave food outside the gates (lockers at the Transportation & Ticket Center) and leave the park to consume the picnic. What is so onerous about such a policy?

Chicagoshannon2

I don't like this at all. Have you guys seen the food choices they have for kids meals? Uncrustables, goldfish "bread" for a turkey sandwich, and some sort of weird chicken nugget product. Maybe if they would make an actual sandwich for the kids it wouldn't be so bad.

When I was a kid they had real bread for the kids meals. When you ordered a PBJ it was made fresh instead of being pulled from the freezer.

EOD K9

Guys, guys come on now! Do we all really believe that Disney security are going to be confiscating granola bars and goldfish crackers at the bag check? I may have to eat my hat here but to me that is just plain silly. Maybe all the budget cuts have been to hire more guest relations cast members to deal with the upcoming complaints about confiscated snacks! ;)
You will not have to eat your hat......because security will confiscate it as it is considered an outside food source.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That is the only time I personally have a problem with people bringing in outside food.

I think until we see something official in writing about a policy change we need to look at this with some common sense and not jump to crazy conclusions. To me it seems reasonable to allow people to bring snacks, plastic bottles and even some sandwiches in a back pack. I think this POTENTIAL new policy would be addressing coolers and the like. We need to just wait and see!

Yup. Didn't have time to check on this today and ...wow, people are just boiling over about everything at WDW (and they really should because they are constantly getting charged more and being given less ... of everything from quality to attractions to ... MAGIC!)

But while I am awaiting more details, I always assumed this was the 'NO. You can't bring in a Coleman cooler with enough food to last a week. Sorry.' type of deal. I doubt baggies of cereal for finicky kids or a bottle of water will be outlawed. I think people have taken advantage of the relaxing of rules. They clearly didn't visit when picnic areas existed at the TTC and at EPCOT Center (there still is an area just outside DL).

Of course, with the way things are headed I may well be wrong. This is a company right now that is looking to save fractions of pennies while Franklins flutter in the breeze.

mickeysaver

I admit that I have brought in my fair share of fluids over time, mostly water but some Gatorade too. I haven't really understood the desire to bring sandwiches to the park, even when I was a local. Now, with a baby/toddler, there were a few snacks that we would bring to keep the peace, but she usually ate food like we ate. We did have to bring Carnation Instant Breakfast, in single serve packets, for her, because her weight was low for her height and the doctor told us to boost up her calories by adding this to her milk. We bought the milk there on property, because bringing a cooler is a PITA. Otherwise, if I am at WDW, I am eating at WDW. The food isn't always the greatest stuff on Earth, but it's far from the worst either. With over 15 years of regular trips under my belt as a regular tourist and a FL resident day guest, I pretty much know where the better options are. If you can't afford the price of admission, then don't go. Really, I know that at their soul, the Disney parks are PARKS, but they are not exactly the kind of park that I would ever consider picnicking in.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Another fantastic step to keep decent folks away from the oiks and their appalling habits. With the price changes and a potential ban on bring your own trough the bottom feeders should start to get the message that this is a destination not for them.

They could have various kiosks featuring troughs of baked beans garnished with dead dogs for the rabble. I'd say $12.50 for an RFID enforced 12 minute period of shoveling protein into ye olde pie hole should be affordable for most.

Dasnowz

the issue i see is these big coolers going on rides or sitting in stroller parking while family rides. i have seen many people take an infant stroller ( the one without a seat) and strap a cooler in it. they then rolled their large meals around all day leaving the stroller in stroller parking. they had no small children with them. who is responsible if someone steals you food or tampers with it? is it wdw fault if you get food poisoning while your food got hot? why should the resorts have to supply you tons of ice for the day? I have driven 22 hours with 5 kids to land. we had coolers in the car. we budgeted every trip to so we could eat one main meal in the park. I have a special needs child and we never took a full on picnic in parks. We would stay off property in a motel with free breakfast and fill up the kids. we would grab some fruit for later. I also brought snacks. i live near world now . i always take a water bottle and some type of granola bar and fruit pouch in my bag. i now take my grandkids and still only take small snacks. you can buy a decent meal for under $10 at counter service if you know what to look for. I do so wish that they had the sourdough gumbo bowls in park like land had. one of those for $8 would feed two or three of us. We will eat quick serve at a resort and take break. I had an accident and am now disabled so we can not stay at parks for more then 5 to 6 hours so leaving to eat works for us.

No Name

Lots of people are trying to spin this as a politeness or manners arguement, saying that people back then were more polite, but now that people have sort of become less respectful, they're bringing their own food into the parks.

While I won't deny that's part of the reason, it's more about the cost of food at the parks today vs. back then. In the early days of WDW, food was very cheap (especially for a theme park). It wouln't have been worth it to bring your average snack/sandwhich into the park, you might as well have gotten something fresh that cost about the same amount as it would've at your local restaurants. But now that admission is so high and food is very expensive, the last thing some people want to do is blow more money on food. And so now it becomes very valuable to bring your own.

As for whether to ban people from bringing their own in? I say, don't make them angry. Sure, you could tell them they can't bring their own food in, but then do you think they'll be inclined to buy desert? Or to buy souvenirs? It would truly be chasing pennies while losing dollars.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have a feeling the new food policy will look a lot like Universal Studios. Here are Universal Studios Hollywood & Orlando's Policies. So water / small snacks (such as goldfish) would all be fine if Disney goes this route.

Hollywood:

We offer a variety of fresh, delicious food for our guests to enjoy at restaurants and concession stands throughout our property; however, we understand that guests may need to bring outside food and drink into our parks. For more information on specific in-park dining options, please see our Dietary Food Guide. Please note the following guidelines for bringing food and drink into our parks:

Acceptable items:
  • Bottled water
  • Small snacks
  • Any food required for special dietary needs
  • Any food required for medical purposes and medically-indicated nutritional supplements
  • Baby food/baby formula
  • Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5” wide x 6” high x 6” deep
Prohibited items:
  • Large coolers of food
  • Alcohol
  • Glass containers
  • Hard-sided coolers
  • Soft-sided coolers larger than 8.5” wide x 6” high x 6” deep
  • Coolers, suitcases, and bags with wheels
Orlando:

We offer a variety of fresh, delicious food for our guests to enjoy at restaurants and concession stands throughout our resort; however, we understand that guests may need to bring outside food and drink into our parks. Please note the following guidelines for bringing food and drink into our parks:

Acceptable items:
  • Bottled water
  • Small snacks that do not require heating
  • Any food required for medical purposes and medically–indicated nutritional supplements
  • Any food required for special dietary needs
  • Baby food/baby formula
  • Soft-sided insulated bags no larger than 8.5" wide x 6" high x 6" deep
Prohibited items:
  • Picnic lunches
  • Food that requires heating or refrigeration
  • Alcohol and glass containers
  • Hard-sided coolers
  • Soft-sided coolers larger than 8.5" wide x 6" high x 6" deep
  • Coolers, suitcases, and bags with wheels
  • Clothing with offensive language or content
  • Clothing that represents someone as emergency personnel

Something along these lines would be acceptable to me at least, But this being Disney I expect a full bore ban on any 'outside' food or drink not deemed 'Medically Necessary'.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Being over-the-top thrifty is tacky in an environment like Walt Disney World. It's like stealing sugar packets and ketchup from a gourmet steakhouse or stealing towels from the Four Seasons. It's Beverly Hillbillies.

Know the best way to get respect? Give it... maybe if customers didn't feel like they were getting fleeced constantly they might give a little more respect to the business and it's own needs.

DABIGCHEEZ

Having only read the first 2 pages, I am wondering...
Those of you that are saying as long as they allow water bottles it is okay, I ask WHY? I am guessing it is because you bring in water bottles. Well others bring in bags of snacks and sandwiches. If they would implement this, I hope it is across the board. They sell water for you to buy, just like they sell snack and sandwiches for others to buy. People bringing in food and/or water does not ruin guest experiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom