No outside food and drink in WDW parks?

Mike S

As long as I can still bring in Uncrustables for lunch I'm good.
Few replies more persistently pop up than the 'it's a business' mantra and few I'm afraid are more persistently irrelevant.

Yes, we all know TWDC is a business. Like most everything else we pay money to. We, however, are not TWDC. We are its consumers.
image.jpeg

zooey

The amount of people who support this in this thread really astonished me, and made me feel sad.

When I was younger, my parents would take my sister and I to Disney World every couple of years. We come from a middle-class family, but my parents didn't make the amount of money they should have for how hard they worked.

The only way my parents could afford to take my sister and I was by watching how we spent every penny on our trip. We drove instead of flying. We'd get 4 day passes for a 10 night trip. We'd borrow a tiny, 40 year-old camper from my grandparents and stay at Fort Wilderness for $50/night. We'd spend a lot of time doing "free" things like Downtown Disney or resort-hopping.

One of the biggest money-savers was bringing our own meals into the parks. It wasn't like we set up a picnic blanket or anything. The four of us would sit on a park bench, and eat our cold-cut sandwiches while we watched more privileged kids running around with Mickey ice cream bars and souvenir popcorn buckets.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but doing an entire day in a park, our family of 4 would save $70-$100 per day. To take that away and have everyone say "that's okay", yet when ticket prices go up $20/day and everyone losses it; dumbfounds me.

I suspect if you already purchase your meals in the park, taking this away doesn't affect you and so you're okay with it. I get that.

Just try to remember some people are already stretched so thin visiting, and bringing your own meals is a HUGE expense saver.
I think it's more about the attitude people have about bringing in food and how it can be inconsiderate and take away from the experience of others; the situation spirit described where people have a whole spread of kfc or subway or whatever and they've parked themselves right under the partners statue to chow down IS a problem. If a family went to a seating area or a discreet park bench somewhere and casually ate their meal they brought in I don't think people would have a huge problem with it. But there is a problem with entitlement at Disney parks in general and you see that come out in various ways and people bringing in coolers like the magic kingdom is a tailgate party or the big Fourth of July shindig is one of those things I'd like to see go away.
If you find that kind of thing a problem a policy change is the only way to do something about it, because those people aren't stopping on their own. It's less about class and more about being considerate. That being said, I feel like Disney is going the way of a luxury brand and fewer and fewer people are going to be able to cut the kind of corners you're talking about even with bringing in food.

CaptainAmerica

As long as I can still bring in Uncrustables for lunch I'm good.
View attachment 132853
This is infuriating. The reason the "Disney is a business" argument gets brought up so often is because so many people are ignorant of or hostile to that fact. Mocking "DIZNEE IZ A BIZNEZZ" is akin to mocking 2+2=4 in a community where people keep trying to make the argument that 2+2=5. If you don't want us to defend with "Disney is a business," then people need to stop acting outraged and entitled when Disney acts like a business.

Mike S

This is infuriating. The reason the "Disney is a business" argument gets brought up so often is because so many people are ignorant of or hostile to that fact. Mocking "DIZNEE IZ A BIZNEZZ" is akin to mocking 2+2=4 in a community where people keep trying to make the argument that 2+2=5. If you don't want us to defend with "Disney is a business," then people need to stop acting outraged and entitled when Disney acts like a business.
Then stop insulting our intelligence by saying it as if we don't already know. That's infuriating as well and the original inspiration behind that meme.

Edit: Also, Disney was always a business. It just used to be a better one with more focus on the people actually paying them for their services rather than the "sharp pencil guys" as Walt called them.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Then stop insulting our intelligence by saying it as if we don't already know.
I think we're past that. I have no doubts about the intelligence of some of the people on this board. The most negative are not stupid. They have an agenda. They don't blur the lines of "Disney is a business" because they're ignorant of how a business works, but because they've either been manipulated by a vocal few or aspire to be one of them.

zooey

Luxury vacations don't include subpar offerings, closed facilities, reduced staffing and incessant queuing despite "reservations". WDW is a value engineered destination at a luxury price point. Maybe if Disney treated its "flagship" property like a luxury destination, its guests would as well.
You're saying that customers visiting WDW are acting like they're going to Walmart because the parks have some closed attractions or a light bulb is out somewhere? Nah. It's a cultural problem easily identified at WDW but not exclusive to WDW by any means. Your theory only works if the rich are abandoning the place with budget minded people taking their place. That's not the case. Everyone rich and poor are going despite all the downsides jaded mega fans proselytize.

NMBC1993

This is quite the interesting topic. I will admit to being one of those people who bring small snacks and water bottles into the park during my trips (ironically enough, I'm packing for my Studio's trip tomorrow). But the reason behind doing this is because of my ADHD. If I do not replenish my food intake every few hours, I begin to "spike" as they say and subject all those around me to my horrible ADHD tendencies (which is pretty easy to do when you're in a crowded theme park full of rude and annoying guests).

So here's hoping if this rumor does turn out to be true, that there are exceptions that will be made and the parks don't resort to the same treatment guests receive from security during Halloween Horror Nights (I once saw a security person pull out a granola bar from a woman's purse as if he just found a hand grenade with no pin in it).

TangledUpInKnots

just for the record... Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN doesn't allow outside food or drink either

"After careful consideration of park policies across the nation, consultation with health and safety experts and much consideration of the welfare of our guests and employees alike, we are unable to allow coolers, food or drinks into Dollywood. Although we do not allow food or drink to be brought into the Park, Dollywood offers a wide variety of delicious foods available at our restaurants and snack vendors. (Special dietary needs should be addressed with the Foods Office prior to arrival at 865-428-9428.) However, if you would like to eat elsewhere or must leave for any reason during the day, remember to get your hand stamped and keep your admission ticket, then you can return later that same day. Dollywood does not have picnic areas at the Park, but if you would like to picnic somewhere, the Smoky Mountains National Park is a great place to visit."

Interesting...is that a new thing? I ask because I literally live right by Dollywood and have season passes every year. No one has ever even checked a bag in all the years I've been going and I've lived here my whole life. The rule is definitely not enforced unless they are planning that for the upcoming season later this month.

Secondly, I understand the no food rule, but personally, as someone who travels with a toddler with a dairy allergy and a father who is on a fat free diet for heart issues, it's kind of a pain to have to explain that EVERY time to people. We are going in May. Is it too much to hope this isn't in effect by then?

doctornick

I think it's more about the attitude people have about bringing in food and how it can be inconsiderate and take away from the experience of others; the situation spirit described where people have a whole spread of kfc or subway or whatever and they've parked themselves right under the partners statue to chow down IS a problem. If a family went to a seating area or a discreet park bench somewhere and casually ate their meal they brought in I don't think people would have a huge problem with it.

I'll just point out that another issue can be seating at quick serve places -- sometimes people sit at those tables to eat their outside food and (especially at busy times) can lead to there not being space for folks to sit who are buying food at said establishment.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Interesting...is that a new thing? I ask because I literally live right by Dollywood and have season passes every year. No one has ever even checked a bag in all the years I've been going and I've lived here my whole life. The rule is definitely not enforced unless they are planning that for the upcoming season later this month.

Secondly, I understand the no food rule, but personally, as someone who travels with a toddler with a dairy allergy and a father who is on a fat free diet for heart issues, it's kind of a pain to have to explain that EVERY time to people. We are going in May. Is it too much to hope this isn't in effect by then?

I'm close to Dollywood as well. It's not enforced - kinda like the movie theaters. Hide something in a purse fine but bring in a bucket of kfc and it's a no no lol

Last edited:

TangledUpInKnots

my guess is even if this passes... it will be

I'm close to Dollywood as well. It's not enforced - kinda like the movie theaters. Hide something in a purse fine but bring in a bucket of kfc and it's a no no lol

Dollywood's food is not great to me so I can't say I wouldn't blame those who tried with a bucket of KFC :p. Difference is though that Disney actually checks bags. I just don't want to have to justify why I have a fat free bagel for my dad in one pocket and applesauce and dairy free cereal bars in another.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I'll just point out that another issue can be seating at quick serve places -- sometimes people sit at those tables to eat their outside food and (especially at busy times) can lead to there not being space for folks to sit who are buying food at said establishment.
That is the only time I personally have a problem with people bringing in outside food.

I think until we see something official in writing about a policy change we need to look at this with some common sense and not jump to crazy conclusions. To me it seems reasonable to allow people to bring snacks, plastic bottles and even some sandwiches in a back pack. I think this POTENTIAL new policy would be addressing coolers and the like. We need to just wait and see!

asianway

The amount of people who support this in this thread really astonished me, and made me feel sad.

When I was younger, my parents would take my sister and I to Disney World every couple of years. We come from a middle-class family, but my parents didn't make the amount of money they should have for how hard they worked.

The only way my parents could afford to take my sister and I was by watching how we spent every penny on our trip. We drove instead of flying. We'd get 4 day passes for a 10 night trip. We'd borrow a tiny, 40 year-old camper from my grandparents and stay at Fort Wilderness for $50/night. We'd spend a lot of time doing "free" things like Downtown Disney or resort-hopping.

One of the biggest money-savers was bringing our own meals into the parks. It wasn't like we set up a picnic blanket or anything. The four of us would sit on a park bench, and eat our cold-cut sandwiches while we watched more privileged kids running around with Mickey ice cream bars and souvenir popcorn buckets.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but doing an entire day in a park, our family of 4 would save $70-$100 per day. To take that away and have everyone say "that's okay", yet when ticket prices go up $20/day and everyone losses it; dumbfounds me.

I suspect if you already purchase your meals in the park, taking this away doesn't affect you and so you're okay with it. I get that.

Just try to remember some people are already stretched so thin visiting, and bringing your own meals is a HUGE expense saver.
I'll do you one better. We scrimped as well. But we rarely ate in the parks and would eat on 535 or 192 when we took our midday break. And this is pre-myw pre-5 day hopper passes. We were paying full boat each day. Park time was even more precious. But in no universe would we have felt comfortable bringing in outside food and setting up shop.

FrankLapidus

That's one of the issues that makes this understandable from my perspective.

I have no problem waiting for a table if a restaurant is busy but it is frustrating when some tables are taken by people not eating in said restaurant. It can't escape attention when that happens which is why I'm surprised we haven't already seen a policy like this already implemented.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I'll do you one better. We scrimped as well. But we rarely ate in the parks and would eat on 535 or 192 when we took our midday break. And this is pre-myw pre-5 day hopper passes. We were paying full boat each day. Park time was even more precious. But in no universe would we have felt comfortable bringing in outside food and setting up shop.
My family was the same. We would load up and head over to 535 and eat from the $1 menu at Burger King, Taco Bell or if we were really good Steak n Shake. Ah those were the days! Haha :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom