NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

COProgressFan

I am too, most excited about the idea that I may not have to even carry my wallet in the parks.

Honest question: Is carrying your wallet around really that much of a big deal? Don't you carry it around with you in your day to day life already? What's the challenge? For the most part, I don't think I ever leave my house (or hotel room, etc.) without it.

Even if I ever had a Magicband (I won't) or use an RFID ticket, I would still carry my wallet so I can have my license/ID, some cash for emergencies, etc.

Seriously, I'm really trying to get a grasp on the supposed benefit of not carrying a wallet. It seems there have been a few others who have posted this as well, and I just don't get it.

Irie

Honest question: Is carrying your wallet around really that much of a big deal? Don't you carry it around with you in your day to day life already? What's the challenge? For the most part, I don't think I ever leave my house (or hotel room, etc.) without it.

Even if I ever had a Magicband (I won't) or use an RFID ticket, I would still carry my wallet so I can have my license/ID, some cash for emergencies, etc.

Seriously, I'm really trying to get a grasp on the supposed benefit of not carrying a wallet. It seems there have been a few others who have posted this as well, and I just don't get it.

I use a lanyard to carry my license, KTTWC, credit card, and cash. I like to ditch the wallet b/c it is uncomfortable to sit on some rides.

prfctlyximprct

When vacationing at other resorts most times your just get a wristband and don't have to worry about anything else. Although Disney isn't "all inclusive" it can kind of seem like it if your dining and park entry is all linked to your magic band. I wouldn't be carrying anything else besides my camera.

Rob562

When I go on vacation, I switch wallets. When I'm in the Disney parks, I have a slim front-pocket wallet with an integrated money-clip. In it have my license, room key (with charging privileges), Annual Pass and new this year my Tables in Wonderland card. In the clip I keep a $20 bill just in case.

My regular wallet (with health insurance card, AAA, etc) still goes with me on the trip (albeit slimmed down a bit from its normal daily contents), but it stays in the hotel room.

Other items in my pockets in the parks are my cell phone and my compact camera. That's it.
I bring a backpack with a change of clothing (like for a nice dinner) only if my plans require it.

-Rob

flynnibus

Premium Member

1) One less thing to lose
2) Not having to worry about losing it
3) Nothing in my pocket that might fall out getting in/out of attractions - so one less thing to check for
4) Nothing in my pocket bothering my back
5) Not having to fill my front pocket with it means less weight in my shorts and one less thing to deal with when pulling something else from my pocket

Wallet simply is a liability.. something you have to ensure you keep and don't lose. It also has a physical presence impacting where you keep stuff.

It's like your passport.. why don't you carry it around all the time? It's small.. it's not bulky. So why not carry it all the time? Because of the liability of losing it. Same thing can be said of your wallet - if you could leave it.. you no longer carry that liability.

RyenDeckard

Wallet simply is a liability.. something you have to ensure you keep and don't lose. It also has a physical presence impacting where you keep stuff.

Now let's say you lose the magicband in the parks, suddenly somebody else might go on a spending spree with your credit card info. The risks are the same, they're just mitigated.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think I'm just used to Indy where they actually put up the green (purple in Disney's case) signs miles in advance, so you have time to be in the far right (or left) lane when you need to be, in order to exit. WDW isn't quite big enough to offer this luxury, and I've been caught in several situations where I need to be about 3 lanes over....or I'm in an "Exit Only" lane all of a sudden.

I like the mindlessness of using the WDW system, but I hate the fact that it's RUN by mindless people too.

It seems like there is a subset of resorts that have one or no mentions on the signs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now let's say you lose the magicband in the parks, suddenly somebody else might go on a spending spree with your credit card info. The risks are the same, they're just mitigated.

The charging access is PIN protected...
The Band/Card are limited in scope to Disney only...
The Band/Card do not risk losing a lot more than simple money...
The band/Card are simple to stop/replace with a single call or visit...

Your wallet typically caries info from many places, that requires many different transactions to stop/replace, and can cause all kinds of problems if you lose. Try getting on the airplane if you lost your photo ID, etc.

The band/card are not impervious to being lost - but you risk far less, and is FAR easier to recover from.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I'd wait until it has had a few years of faultless application before I would take that chance. You need to be sure that you can pay for lunch, gifts or, for that matter, even have a quick ID and perhaps a medical insurance card. Life does not completely revolve around WDW.

I guess I should have added a ;) to my note. I am both skeptical and hopeful of FP+, MM+ but wary too.

allgiggles

I am too, most excited about the idea that I may not have to even carry my wallet in the parks.

Just curious, why do you need to wait for Next Gen to be able to not have to carry your wallet to the park? Based on information we have today, other than storing FP+ information on a card/band, what will Next Gen offer that the current KTTW cards don't (in regards to things kept in a wallet)? I don't carry a wallet now when I'm at Disney. I do carry my KTTW card, a credit card, insurance card, and a little bit of cash for when the kids want to go their own way for a few hours (I don't trust them with charging privileges yet). Next Gen won't eliminate any of those things. And the current paper FP's just go in a pocket or lanyard. What am I missing????

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I use a lanyard to carry my license, KTTWC, credit card, and cash. I like to ditch the wallet b/c it is uncomfortable to sit on some rides.

I was kidding, should have put a ;) in it. That may be Disney's hope, not mine.

Goofyernmost

1) One less thing to lose
2) Not having to worry about losing it
3) Nothing in my pocket that might fall out getting in/out of attractions - so one less thing to check for
4) Nothing in my pocket bothering my back
5) Not having to fill my front pocket with it means less weight in my shorts and one less thing to deal with when pulling something else from my pocket

It's like your passport.. why don't you carry it around all the time? It's small.. it's not bulky. So why not carry it all the time? Because of the liability of losing it. Same thing can be said of your wallet - if you could leave it.. you no longer carry that liability.
The answer to to #4 is simple. Have less money! I'll gladly take some of it off your hands and will send you my address so you can forward it. :p

The second part concerning liability. I always feel that I cannot ensure it won't be taken and I'm not there to stop it. When in my pocket, I always know were it is. Just a difference in trusting and control, I guess.

StageFrenzy

Never forget your:
Keys
Cellphone
Wallet
Rear-ends that rhymes with glasses
Glasses
Hats
Prosthetic legs
Hearing aids
Dentures
Small Children
or anything else you could bring on a conceivable occasion.

Genie of the Lamp

Leaving your wallet in a room though may sound safer but what happens when the housekeeping maids go in the room and see that wallet of yours laying about on the dresser. I've had a relative who left their wallet on the telephone nightstand before and the day they did that when they came back later that night it was stolen. Eventually they mailed back the card and got a new one only to find out the person spent $1,100 before they terminated the card. Anyhow let's be real, what are the likely chances this would happen at WDW " One of The Most Magical places on Earth".

Tom

Beta Return
I don't go anywhere without my Photo ID and Insurance Card. So....NextGen won't be preventing me from needing to carry my wallet.

And, as I've stated many times (in case Disney hasn't read all of my posts), I won't be wearing any wristbands. They'll go in my wife's purse, or hook on a belt loop or go in a pocket. I don't wear watches because I can't stand "accessories" on me.

Sneezy62

When vacationing at other resorts most times your just get a wristband and don't have to worry about anything else. Although Disney isn't "all inclusive" it can kind of seem like it if your dining and park entry is all linked to your magic band. I wouldn't be carrying anything else besides my camera.
And here we have the point of the magicband. Disney isn't an all inclusive, but they want you to feel like it is so you'll drop 20% more without realizing it till you get the bill.

ParentsOf4

The technology employed by MagicBands allows a private company to track our movements with no government or legal oversight. It doesn't matter why or for what purpose but if the implications of that doesn't frighten you at least a little, then our civil liberties are doomed.

“Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order, to efficiency of operations, to scientific advancement, and the like. The cause of privacy will be won or lost essentially in legislative halls and in constitutional assemblies. If it is won, this pluralistic society of ours will experience a spiritual renewal. If it is lost we will have written our own prescription for mediocrity and conformity.” – Justice William Douglas, Points of Rebellion

"The real danger is the gradual erosion of individual liberties through automation, integration, and interconnection of many small, separate record-keeping systems, each of which alone may seem innocuous, even benevolent, and wholly justifiable.” - U. S. Privacy Study Commission

“The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.” - Alex Carey

“There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” - George Orwell, 1984

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom