NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

ToTBellHop

Yes, I was using hyperbole. Hyperbole commonly is used to provoke an emotional response but is not intended to be taken literally.

The technology employed by MagicBands allows a private company to track our movements with no government or legal oversight. It doesn't matter why or for what purpose but if the implications of that doesn't frighten you at least a little, then our civil liberties are doomed.

“Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and order, to efficiency of operations, to scientific advancement, and the like. The cause of privacy will be won or lost essentially in legislative halls and in constitutional assemblies. If it is won, this pluralistic society of ours will experience a spiritual renewal. If it is lost we will have written our own prescription for mediocrity and conformity.” – Justice William Douglas, Points of Rebellion

"The real danger is the gradual erosion of individual liberties through automation, integration, and interconnection of many small, separate record-keeping systems, each of which alone may seem innocuous, even benevolent, and wholly justifiable.” - U. S. Privacy Study Commission

“The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.” - Alex Carey

“There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” - George Orwell, 1984
I would assume most people on these boards are intelligent enough to know what hyperbole is without a definition. The complaint was more that your hyperbolic statement was offensive and more than a bit much.

A hyperbolic statement comparing a wristband with tracking features to the wanton murder of 6 million people is absurd at best, disgusting and shameless at worst.

You've lost me.

MissM

Let's say you lose the magicband in the parks and you don't have your wallet or ID. How do you get a replacement?
Also, if your biometrics don't work you will need an ID.
And if you're an AP and you want your AP discount, you will need to show ID. (This was confirmed by Disney.)
And if you're staying off property, you will still need to carry your credit card(s).
And if you're a local and/or AP not staying on property, you will still need to carry your ID and credit card(s).

It's silly to think that a Magic Band is the end-all, be-all and you will only need that and nothing else in the parks for all people. I would say the vast majority will still be carrying a wallet with them making this a bulky extra, not an improvement on existing park tickets.

WDWBryan

You don't need to be staying at a resort to use the magic band charging. The mydisneyexperience site has a section to add a credit card.

ParentsOf4

I would assume most people on these boards are intelligent enough to know what hyperbole is without a definition. The complaint was more that your hyperbolic statement was offensive and more than a bit much.

A hyperbolic statement comparing a wristband with tracking features to the wanton murder of 6 million people is absurd at best, disgusting and shameless at worst.

You've lost me.
I apologize for having offended.

I have contacted Disney directly concerning MM+. Although Disney claims it is “optional”, the reality is the only thing “guests” are promised without signing up for MM+ is admission to the theme parks. It appears that is promised only because Disney hasn’t yet figured out an efficient way to get people who purchase tickets at the gate or from third parties to sign up for MM+. Iger wasn’t kidding when he replied to Rep. Markey:
Guests can enjoy admission to the park without having to register or provide any personal information. But guests who do choose to participate in MyMagic+ will enjoy the convenience of having their tickets, guaranteed ride times for shows and attractions, resort room access and other enhanced features all in one place.
The point my earlier posts were to note that our civil liberties do not suddenly disappear one day. They slowly are eroded over time. For me to compare MM+ to the Holocaust is wrong. However, the Holocaust did not happen in a vacuum. The events leading to it were decades in the making.

There once was a time when our civil liberties and rights to privacy were treated with more respect than they are today. There was a time in the post-Watergate era when the President, Congress, and the Supreme Court took steps to restore civil liberties. Since then, these civil liberties once again are being eroded. Often it is the private sector most guilty of this, largely by using their incredible financial resources to influence decisions in Washington that adversely affect all of us. Once again quoting Alex Carey:
The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Several national and international organizations oppose using RFID technology on humans. Several nations not so heavily influenced by political lobbyists are taking steps to limit their use. If Disney is not challenged today in their use of RFID technology to track “guests”, where does it end? What happens when banks require us to carry a tracking devide to take out a loan? When grocery stores require one to purchase food? What laws are in place to protect us? Again, where does it end?

When it comes to invasions of privacy, every person has their thresholds. Yours might be different than mine. With Disney’s use of RFID technology to track us, I’ve reached mine.

jakeman

If people really think one of the benefits of MagicBands is not having to carry a wallet, maybe Disney should go one step further and tattoo a number on each guest's forearm to make it easier to identify them. No need to worry about carrying anything, losing anything, or stolen identity.

Oh wait, that's been done before.:mad:
Magicbands have been officially Godwin'd.

Annnnndddd...scene.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If people really think one of the benefits of MagicBands is not having to carry a wallet, maybe Disney should go one step further and tattoo a number on each guest's forearm to make it easier to identify them. No need to worry about carrying anything, losing anything, or stolen identity.

Oh wait, that's been done before.:mad:
Skynet?

bgraham34

Was hanging out with my friend last night. Stuck to the back of his phone was a big RFID tag. It's his frequent flyer 'card' for SAS. They gave all their customers RFID tags so they can speed up transactions at the airports. He said it's great...

Article on it
http://www.nfcworld.com/2011/06/15/38035/sas-to-introduce-nfc-to-airports/

Yeah but that's different from Magicbands. MB's can be tracked from inches to hundreds of feet away, whereas NFC is usually an inch or less.

tracyandalex

From the passholder newsletter for Spring 2013:
As a WDW Passholder you will receive a MagicBand.
It talks about selecting Fastpass+ before you leave home, so I guess APers will be able to pre-book FP+
The fine print - Certain MyMagic+ benefits and features require online registration - so we will have to agree to data mining to get all the benefits

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah but that's different from Magicbands. MB's can be tracked from inches to hundreds of feet away, whereas NFC is usually an inch or less.
The only way an RFID chap can be read at that distance is if it is a powered chip. The RFID chips in the bands and key cards are un-powered which puts their max range at just a few feet at best. So far I have not been able to get one of the cards to read at more than a couple of inches.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/28/139

bgraham34

The only way an RFID chap can be read at that distance is if it is a powered chip. The RFID chips in the bands and key cards are un-powered which puts their max range at just a few feet at best. So far I have not been able to get one of the cards to read at more than a couple of inches.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/28/139

The Magicbands are suppose to be powered. Unless the ones first coming out are not powered but the FCC filings list that they are to be powered which can go up to about 30 or so feet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Magicbands are suppose to be powered. Unless the ones first coming out are not powered but the FCC filings list that they are to be powered which can go up to about 30 or so feet.

No - the RFID chips are passive - the band is powered... presumably for the 2.4gig radio in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom