NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

flynnibus

Premium Member
And from what I've seen it looks like there will be a very limited number available if you wait that long to obtain them. So I could be stuck with the only available fast passes being for crap attractions. No thanks.

Seen where? You're just making @$% up to justify your fears.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I've seen It posted from people that have participated in the testing of MM+. Are you saying they are lying?
The only person I have seen that tested it on this board said his test group had tons of complaints. This may be why they are going back to CMs, their complaints are less likely to be all over the web while they are still working out the kinks.

Todd H

Also, logic dictates that if you're allowing people to reserve a limited number of Fastpasses beginning six months before their vacation, then (much like with dining reservations) as your vacation gets closer and closer the less fastpasses will be available.

Look, I have experience with systems planning. I've sat in JAD sessions, participated in the SDLC process, and have helped design systems before. I've been into technology since (at the ripe old age of 8) I helped my elementary school teacher put together his Apple I kit. I've been smitten with technology ever since that fateful day. And what this feels like is a bunch of corporate managers got together and dreamed up this elaborate system without bringing in any end users into the process. It's technology for technology's sake. I can't think of a single problem it solves for the guest. I can, however, see how it benefits Disney. I'm no Luddite. But I know a data mining scheme when I see one. And that's all this is.

Todd H

no they were testing.

And if the users testing it can't get Fastpasses for major rides a few days out, what happens when Disney, a company that can't even keep their website up and running correctly for more than a few days, lets thousands loose six months before their trip? But, hey, at least there will be fastpasses available for such wonderful attractions like American Idol and Stitch's Great Escape.

ParentsOf4

no they were testing.
How about looking at this mathematically?

Soarin's capacity is around 1300 guests per hour with a capacity of perhaps 15,600 guests per typical 12-hour day at Epcot. Assuming about 60% of Soarin's capacity is allocated to FP+, there should be about 9,360 Soarin' FP+ per day. With Epcot's average attendance around 30,000, people have less than a one-in-three chance at a Soarin' FP+, even less during popular periods such as Spring Break, Summer, and holidays. Furthermore, that's throughout the day. If Disney offers a Soarin' FP+, it could end up being for 9:00 AM or 8:30 PM. The chances of people getting Soarin' FP+ at the times they actually want are are slim indeed.

If Disney holds back some Soarin' FP+ for "day of" guests, then even fewer people will be able to book a Soarin' FP+ prior to arrival.

Yes, it will be difficult to get FP+ for WDW's most popular attractions.

Todd H

Wow, participated in the SDLC process! That's all you had to say! Next, you'll mention you're CMMI level 3 certified to put it over the top :)

No I'm not. Just a simple southern boy working on finishing up my MBA (which makes me EVIL to some here). But I've been around technology enough to see MM+ for what it is. And this realization has all but cured me of my pixie dust addiction.

Goofyernmost

How about looking at this mathematically?

Soarin's capacity is around 1300 guests per hour with a capacity of perhaps 15,600 guests per typical 12-hour day at Epcot. Assuming about 60% of Soarin's capacity is allocated to FP+, there should be about 9,360 Soarin' FP+ per day. With Epcot's average attendance around 30,000, people have less than a one-in-three chance at a Soarin' FP+, even less during popular periods such as Spring Break, Summer, and holidays. Furthermore, that's throughout the day. If Disney offers a Soarin' FP+, it could end up being for 9:00 AM or 8:30 PM. The chances of people getting Soarin' FP+ at the times they actually want are are slim indeed.

If Disney holds back some Soarin' FP+ for "day of" guests, then even fewer people will be able to book a Soarin' FP+ prior to arrival.

Yes, it will be difficult to get FP+ for WDW's most popular attractions.
Not questioning in the sense of challenge, but curious. Where are those 60% numbers coming from. It makes no sense to me that they would allocate that many FP's to anything. Wouldn't that make the Fastpass line longer then the standby line? Wouldn't that mean the the standby line wouldn't move at all thus causing the crowd to either revolt or leave, rendering everything a regular line? 30% I might be able to understand, but anymore then that would make FP literally useless, in my mind.

ParentsOf4

Not questioning in the sense of challenge, but curious. Where are those 60% numbers coming from. It makes no sense to me that they would allocate that many FP's to anything. Wouldn't that make the Fastpass line longer then the standby line? Wouldn't that mean the the standby line wouldn't move at all thus causing the crowd to either revolt or leave, rendering everything a regular line? 30% I might be able to understand, but anymore then that would make FP literally useless, in my mind.
Have you ever stood in Soarin's Standby line for 120 minutes? Have you ever been near the front and noticed all the FP people who were being let in ahead of you? It sure feels like the line isn't moving.;)

P.S. You might want to ask @RSoxNo1 for a link to his article on the subject.

Goofyernmost

Have you ever stood in Soarin's Standby line for 120 minutes? Have you ever been near the front and noticed all the FP people who were being let in ahead of you? It sure feels like the line isn't moving.;)

P.S. You might want to ask @RSoxNo1 for a link to his article on the subject.
Yup, I have spent an hour in it, accidentally, once, but it doesn't take 60% on a ride like Soarin for that to happen.

ParentsOf4

Yup, I have spent an hour in it, accidentally, once, but it doesn't take 60% on a ride like Soarin for that to happen.
The next time you get near the FP/Standby merge point, just step aside for several minutes and count the number of people let in through the FP vs. Standby line. You'll notice the ratio changes throughout the day and is different for different attractions.

I always hate the Peter Pan merge point. I usually have a FP and just have to look at all those faces to know most WDW "guests" would be happier without FP.

Goofyernmost

The next time you get near the FP/Standby merge point, just step aside for several minutes and count the number of people let in through the FP vs. Standby line. You'll notice the ratio changes throughout the day and is different for different attractions.

I always hate the Peter Pan merge point. I usually have a FP and just have to look at all those faces to know most WDW "guests" would be happier without FP.
That is certainly something I can agree with completely. Worst thing to ever happen to WDW, IMHO!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've seen It posted from people that have participated in the testing of MM+. Are you saying they are lying?

You're assuming the capacities for a test intentionally designed for a small subset of people.. match the capacity/demand ratios for the full roll out. You also overlook that the test are designed specifically to TEST things.. like maybe even forcing people to not get any time they want to see how the system offers alternatives or to gauge how people react. It's a TEST - it was not the full system running at full capacity with all the things it can offer but with just a small crowd using it.

People need to stop holding onto everything they saw in testing as how things will be now and forever. They were tests - not previews.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They are constructing preferred viewing areas. In theory the premium parade and fireworks viewing areas will not affect the current spots that guests typically watch these things. If anything, this is a perk that they can offer resort guests without taking anything away from non-resort guests.

I'm just hoping these newly constructed viewing areas don't wind up being the eyesores that the Fountain Stage in Epcot is.

Having special viewing areas is all fine and good, but not at the expense of the overall theme and visual attractiveness of the parks.

Todd H

You're assuming the capacities for a test intentionally designed for a small subset of people.. match the capacity/demand ratios for the full roll out. You also overlook that the test are designed specifically to TEST things.. like maybe even forcing people to not get any time they want to see how the system offers alternatives or to gauge how people react. It's a TEST - it was not the full system running at full capacity with all the things it can offer but with just a small crowd using it.

People need to stop holding onto everything they saw in testing as how things will be now and forever. They were tests - not previews.

And you need to understand (and admit) the problems that this system will cause for those that don't plan every waking hour of a Disney trip. I think you've been blinded so much by the shiny technology involved that you don't understand the ramifications of such as system. But something tells me I'll never convince you of these problems, much like you'll never convince me that everything is wonderful about MM+. So it would appear we are at an impasse. And with that I bow out of the discussion. Have a pleasant evening.

darthspielberg

Ah, I hadn't posted here in a while and I forgot how lovely the Disney hate is here. "Disney did a thing. I hate a thing!"

I am mixed on this whole thing. On the one hand, it will allow for a huge level of personlization of the vacation, on the other will probably be a bit wonky on the Fastpass end of things, but I trust Disney enough to work out the kinks and make it run as smoothly as anything else they do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And you need to understand (and admit) the problems that this system will cause for those that don't plan every waking hour of a Disney trip. I think you've been blinded so much by the shiny technology involved that you don't understand the ramifications of such as system

I understand them fully - the difference is I've not made the conclusions on the what will happen in the future when we don't even know the parameters in play. You've ASSUMED you know the future.. I just chose to wait and see how they do it before I cry bloody murder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom