NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

icecreamrules

Guest Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How does the new touch to pay functionality work?
A. Guests will be provided an opportunity to set up a unique PIN upon check-in.
When making a payment at a location with one of the new payment devices, a
Guest will touch their card to the touch point on the payment device and if the
purchase is over $50, (I believe this is since been changed to all purchases for now) they will provide
the unique PIN provided at check-in to
complete the purchase (except for locations with a tip line; a PIN is required for
all purchases at these locations). The touch to pay functionality is enabled by
radio frequency (RF) technology.
Q. Where else do you use this technology?
A. All Guest rooms at Walt Disney Resort hotels will use RF technology by the
end of 2012, which allows Guests easier access into their rooms. Disney
Cruise Line also has RFID door locks on its newest ships, the Fantasy and the
Dream. RF technology has been in use in Disney Parks for many years:
laundry and costuming inventory, parade float systems and Cast ID cards.
Q. It’s asking for a PIN. What do I enter?
A. If prompted to enter a PIN during a transaction, please enter the PIN you
created at the front desk.
Q. I don’t remember my PIN. What do I do?
A. If a Guest doesn’t remember his/her PIN, they should return to the Front Desk
in person and present a photo ID to obtain assistance in resetting/changing
PIN.
Q. Does this work the same as other purchases with my Key to the World
Card?
A. Yes. This functionality is a new process, but the purchases are still charged to
the Guest’s folio. It does not deduct from a debit card or charge directly to a
credit card.
Q. If I lose my touch to pay enabled Key to the World card, can someone
else charge to my resort folio?
A. If your Key to the World card is lost during your stay, please report it “lost” to
the Front Desk or Guest Relations as soon as possible. Your card will then be
deactivated.
Q. Will I still need a photo ID to make purchases for alcohol and tobacco?
A. Yes. The RF-enabled Key to the World cards do not have any identification
information so photo identification is required for these types of purchases.
Q. Will I still need a photo ID to receive Annual Passholder or Disney
Vacation Club member discounts?
A. Yes. The RF-enabled Key to the World cards do not have any identification
information. Guests wishing to receive a discount will be required to present
the appropriate cards in addition to the Key to the World card.
Q. Is my information on the card secure?
A. The cards do not contain any of your personal information, only a randomly
assigned code that securely links to an encrypted database. All credit and
financial information is secured to the high standards of the Payment Card
Industry. We have implemented technical, administrative and physical security
measures designed to protect Guest information from unauthorized access,
disclosure, use and modification.
Q. What if the location I’m visiting doesn’t have a new payment device?
A. RFID-enabled Key to the World cards can also be swiped anywhere Key to
the World cards are accepted, the same way they are swiped today.
Q. Where is the touch to pay functionality available?
A. Currently, the touch to pay functionality is available at all locations that accept
Key to the World cards are located at these locations Epcot, Disney’s Art of
Animation Resort, Disney’s BoardWalk Resort, Disney’s Contemporary Resort,
Disney’s Polynesian Resort and Disney’s Yacht & Beach Resort (except for
laundry, valet and arcade locations in resorts). Additional resorts and theme
parks will be enabled with this functionality over the coming months.
Q. When will touch to pay functionality be available across the Walt Disney
World Resort?
A. We are in the process of rolling out touch to pay functionality across the
Walt Disney World Resort. By mid-January, all locations that accept Key to the
World cards will be enabled with this new functionality.
Q. I have a credit card that is enabled with RF-technology. Can I use it on
the new payment devices?
A. That functionality is not available at this time.

pumpkin7

The more I read, and the more that comes to light about FP+, the more I think I really, really cannot be bothered with it. If I can't / don't bother getting FP+ then basically it's back to the days of queuing for hours and not really getting to see anything.
Plus they limit what you can get FP for? I mean, come on, I'm sure everyone would agree that you would much rather get FP by judging queue lengths when you are actually in the park. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had booked a FP+ for Thunder Mountain, then got there, and discovered the Standby line was only 10 minutes long, yet every other FP option had a wait of an hour or more.
This isn't a vacation. This is military style precision planning. It's really making me dread my next trip. I hope it's not rolled out by then.

Goofyernmost

Sure there is much more to NextGen than data mining. Below is my theory (updated from another thread) on how Next Gen improves WDW financials:
  • Improve hotel occupancy rates – There's only a finite number of "good" FP+ for (for example) TSM. Use these "good" FP+ to lure guests onsite. Tie in ADRs to FP+. Either set aside some prime ADRs for onsite guests or allow onsite guests to book their FP+ or ADRs sooner. As a result of these initiatives, WDW hotel occupancy rates should improve. Filling unoccupied rooms in existing hotels has a tremendous profit margin.
  • Eliminate Extra Magic Hours – EMHs are an enormous operating expense. Considerable money could be saved by getting rid of these. With a FP+ system giving preferential treatment to onsite guests during regular park hours, EMHs are no longer needed. Hugh savings for WDW.
  • Improve theme park attendance - It seems possible more onsite guests will visit WDW theme parks for more days during their vacations, knowing they have FP+ experiences reserved for each day. How are guests going to be able to walk away from visiting the theme parks when they know they already have "good" FP+ in hand?
  • Reduce or eliminate "Free Dining" and "Room Only" discounts - Bob Iger has stated that the public needs to be weaned off “Free Dining” and “Room Only” discounts. A perks system built around Next Gen might be a way to do this. Onsite guests get more FP+, better ADRs, and preferred viewing. As a result, WDW no longer needs to offer as many discounts if guests have stronger incentives to stay onsite, especially since these incentives require minimal opex. Possibly offer "bonus" FP+ during slower seasons as a way to increase onsite and/or offsite attendance, effectively replacing "Free Dining" and "Room Only" discounts.
  • Increase guest spending - Spend $200 at the Emporium; get rewarded with a "bonus" FP+. Book a Keys To the Kingdom Tour; get a "bonus" FP+. The possibilities are endless. FP+ is "free" but it's "more free" for those who spend more. And it's possible because Next Gen is an integrated system, unifying guest spending with more traditional WDW "experiences". Disney can use FP+ as a sort of Pavlov's Dog experiment to produce the behavior they want (i.e. more spending).
  • Price increases – Of course. Just like they did when they switched to the Magic Your Way ticket system, WDW almost certainly has plans to repackage some things and then charge more for essentially the same service.
None of these have to do with hoping guests spend more money with all their "free time" (something that didn't work with FP), using the data mined information for targeted advertising (although this will happen), or expecting improved operational efficiency (which should occur). Instead, if it works, this gets consumers to spend more before they arrive, encourages them to spend more after they arrive, and reduces cost in obvious ways.

The beauty of the FP+/NextGen system is that its benefits can be tweaked by changing a few input variables. Not enough guests staying at Deluxe Resorts? Increase their number of FP+ while reducing the numbers allocated to everyone else. Tweaking this model is essentially free, which means TDO can experiment with all sorts of combinations before settling on one that generates the most revenue.

By adding attractions, dining, viewing areas, and meet & greets to FP+, TDO has taken absolute control over everyone's WDW experience.

Thanks for responding on that other thread, but, I still have issues.

IMPROVE OCCUPANCY RATES: Ok, I can see that, but, they have already priced themselves sky high and the people that they are getting are the ones that can afford the current rate. How does this miraculously put more spendable income into the hands of those that might stay there.

ELIMINATE EXTRA MAGIC HOURS: Again something that could be counter productive to hotel occupancy rates. By eliminating it they, of course, save on operating costs, but also have dropped an incentive to stay on site.

IMPROVE THEME PARK ATTENDANCE: Only if it increases the number of guest staying on site. The possible counter-productiveness of decreasing the availability of FP for Off-site guests is staggering. I don't know what percentage of rooms Disney has available vs. the number of rooms available off-site is, but it would seem that the loser here would be Disney. What does this do to encourage people to make the trip to the parks if not staying on-site.

REDUCE OR ELIMINATE FREE DINING AND ROOM ONLY DISCOUNTS: Recent history shows that the only reason they have kept the occupancy where it is has been because of the Free Dining attachment. They need to keep the rate they charge and the occupancy level for that to pay off.

INCREASE GUEST SPENDING: Well, they are flogging a dead horse if they feel that I will spend more than I have budgeted because of some slide of hand. You can't spend what you ain't got!

PRICE INCREASES: Again, at some point the well runs dry. Without the incentives of Free Dining and equal treatment of off-siters, they have really misread the public. Especially considering that they have competition all around them.

I just don't see the guarantee. We're talking about a big gamble being made by a bunch people that haven't seen the real world in a number of years. Good Luck to them!

ParentsOf4

I just don't see the guarantee. We're talking about a big gamble being made by a bunch people that haven't seen the real world in a number of years. Good Luck to them!
If there was a magic formula for success, Disney executives would have used that formula years ago. The reality is if you put 10 marketing experts in a conference room, provide them with the same data, and ask for a "go forward" plan, you're probably going to get 3 or 4 different strategies.

With a budget of $1.5B, Disney executives undoubtedly invested many thousands of hours in NextGen's strategy. It doesn't mean they are right.;)

Goofyernmost

If there was a magic formula for success, Disney executives would have used that formula years ago. The reality is if you put 10 marketing experts in a conference room, provide them with the same data, and ask for a "go forward" plan, you're probably going to get 3 or 4 different strategies.

With a budget of $1.5B, Disney executives undoubtedly invested many thousands of hours in NextGen's strategy. It doesn't mean they are right.;)
I would think that it would be closer to 10 different strategies. :eek:

jdmdisney99

Guys, America bought the territory of Alaska for $7.2 million. $7.2 MILLION. And Disney is spending BILLIONS to personalize people's vacations. Definitely worth it. :rolleyes:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Guys, America bought the territory of Alaska for $7.2 million. $7.2 MILLION. And Disney is spending BILLIONS to personalize people's vacations. Definitely worth it. :rolleyes:
Not really - Disney are spending billions investing in a massive IT infrastructure. The same kind of money that other organizations routinely spend on such systems. How much do you think the big IT systems that run many of the services you rely on today cost? They weren't $39.99 from Amazon thats for sure.

jdmdisney99

Not really - Disney are spending billions investing in a massive IT infrastructure. The same kind of money that other organizations routinely spend on such systems. How much do you think the big IT systems that run many of the services you rely on today cost? They weren't $39.99 from Amazon thats for sure.
According to the New York Times that equals 16.5 billion in 2007.
The weird thing is, I support Next Gen. Just made an unnecessary post based on an interesting fact I read. Obviously, I forgot inflation. So, I bow down to my superior, elder intellects. ;)

Todd H

I think I may be the only one excited for Next Gen!

You may be right. Having to plan every single moment of my trip months in advance (right down to what rides I ride at exactly what time) defeats the purpose of a vacation. I already hate having to make dining reservations six months out. And sure I could just wait in the standby line but I have a feeling thanks to Fastpass+ those lines will be even longer than they are now. Doesn't sound very relaxing to me, which is the point of a vacation to begin with.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You may be right. Having to plan every single moment of my trip months in advance (right down to what rides I ride at exactly what time) defeats the purpose of a vacation. I already hate having to make dining reservations six months out. And sure I could just wait in the standby line but I have a feeling thanks to Fastpass+ those lines will be even longer than they are now. Doesn't sound very relaxing to me, which is the point of a vacation to begin with.
You will be able to make FP+ reservations in the park on the day you are there.

Genie of the Lamp

I guess the big question is then how many FP+ reservations they'll distribute on the day of vs. FP+ reservations they'll have available online. I would think they would want to have more available online vs in park right? I guess to it would depend on the crowds and park season schedules.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I guess the big question is then how many FP+ reservations they'll distribute on the day of vs. FP+ reservations they'll have available online. I would think they would want to have more available online vs in park right? I guess to it would depend on the crowds and park season schedules.
Yeah the system could do all kinds of clever things like scaling those ratios depending on guest counts on a specific day.

armmh

I'm waiting to see where these spots are. At DL the VIP fireworks are half blocked by trees. Not my idea of the best view.

For the test period (which I participated in) the Wishes spots were the landing in front of The Plaza and The Rose Garden Pavillion. Both were roped off and we had to give our names and FP+ cards to the CM manning the area. For MSEP, there was a large area roped off to the left if you are facing the castle, right in the middle and on the street just before the parade goes over the Liberty Square bridge. They were also checking names and FP+ cards. There was not reserved "seating", it was a reserved "spot". Unless you were there early enough to get an edge to sit (or a chair at The Plaza landing), it was standing room only.
I dont know if they are building new spots, but those were the spots they used in December.

Todd H

You will be able to make FP+ reservations in the park on the day you are there.

And from what I've seen it looks like there will be a very limited number available if you wait that long to obtain them. So I could be stuck with the only available fast passes being for crap attractions. No thanks.

armmh

And from what I've seen it looks like there will be a very limited number available if you wait that long to obtain them. So I could be stuck with the only available fast passes being for crap attractions. No thanks.

Again, during the testing period, I tried to change some of my times a few days out and was unable to due to no availability, so I would have to agree with this based on testing experience.

Weather_Lady

I'm with you. I feel like they've spent 2 billion dollars, for which my ticket price will go up, and as a result, I'm getting LESS in return. The Fastpasses that used to be unlimited in number (albeit one at a time) will now be slashed to a couple, and we'll have to pick them from limited, pre-selected lists that purposely group the headliners together. As a result, we'll be forced to forego some of our favorite attractions or else stand in unreasonably long standby lines. Park hopping elsewhere will lose its appeal, since we know if we go to another park we're stuck in standby lines no matter what because we can only choose Fastpasses for one park per day. My convenient KTTW card will become a wristband that doesn't fit in my wallet and will be more easily lost or destroyed (and don't get me started on how it discriminates against people who have no wrists or hands ... LOL)

Seriously though, I'm not a doom-and-gloomer and I'm trying my best to embrace the silver linings where I find them. I just don't see how these "plus" changes are adding anything of quality to my vacation experience -- to the contrary, they're creating vacation stress where it didn't exist before.

Todd H

Again, during the testing period, I tried to change some of my times a few days out and was unable to due to no availability, so I would have to agree with this based on testing experience.

And just imagine how bad it will be when you have 1000's of people trying to get fast passes at the same time months out instead of a small test group. I'm not seeing how this is advantageous to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom