NextGen / FP+ / Magic Band. The official truth starts to appear

pumpkin7

I've said it before and I'll say it again; one big fat EUUUGGGHHH.

EFFORT.

I told my DH about the new fastpasses. He was like, what's the point? Seems we are not the only ones either.
I just won't use this new system. I'm not booking 60 days out and I'm not taking my mobile and risk being charged £100s (if the park WiFi is as crap as everyone says and my mobile decides to go onto 3G or whatever) just for some fastpasses. I'll go back to touring a la 1971, with 2013 crowds. Can't wait.....o_O

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So here's a question... why does it need to be 60 days? Why couldn't the reservation system start simply, say, 3 days before, when guests might actually have an idea which park they want to enter on each day of their trip? (My family certainly doesn't plan til we get down there). Then resort/FastPass+ guests would still have a significant advantage on all the urchins guests staying offsite and who have to wait til they enter the park to get their FastPass.

I understand your point, especially when it comes down to weather forecasts.

Sure, FP+ isn't that big a deal for a "make or break" of a vacation except when its PERCEIVED to be that way. By putting so much emphasis on having FP+ set up, they're going to have some upset people when things don't go according to plan...and I feel very bad for anyone who will be working in City Hall/Guest Relations

MarkTwain

I understand your point, especially when it comes down to weather forecasts.

Sure, FP+ isn't that big a deal for a "make or break" of a vacation except when its PERCEIVED to be that way. By putting so much emphasis on having FP+ set up, they're going to have some upset people when things don't go according to plan...and I feel very bad for anyone who will be working in City Hall/Guest Relations

Weather is certainly a big one - we've definitely reshuffled some trips in a big way after waking up to some summer downpours - but having plans change midtrip is a big one too. On our past trip (8 nights), we found out the day we got down to Orlando that some family friends happened to be in town on some of the same days we were. Suddenly, we were making plans to spend a few days in Magic Kingdom or Hollywood Studios with them that we weren't necessarily considering otherwise.

Another big one is that guests will likely be learning about the parks as they spend time in them, even for their first time. For example, during winter months, Splash Mountain will often have a 10 or 15 minute wait even while Space or Thunder Mountain are hitting 70-80 minutes. That said, all three mountains are likely going to be sharing the same "tier" of FastPass+ in the new system. Now let's say that a first-time family enters Magic Kingdom on the first day of their December vacation, and sees that even though they had planned on getting Splash Mountain fastpasses, they realize they can't get on Thunder nearly as easily and would rather do that instead. Fortunately, with 6 days left on their vacation, they still have plenty of opportunities to get that FastPass due to the 3-day reservation window. That's something that wouldn't likely be true in December with a 60-day reservation period. And this kind of thing, with guests not knowing the nature of attraction wait times, happens ALL the time.

disneyspartan

Unfortunately you are not the demographic that Disney wants in their park. You are not staying in the hotels, and more than likely you are not eating at the higher priced restaurants because you are not preplanning your stay.

I truly feel the days of the Florida pass and Annual pass are numbered.

***edit: The above statement is an editorial remark...by no means is it based on fact or anything that I have heard...(unkadug)

Hogwash. Disney AP holders are just as much a money maker as anyone else. They come into the parks and frequent their favorite restaurants, shops and snack stands without ever blinking an eye. Moreover, AP holders are arguably the largest demographic at DLR, so that would effectively shut down the west coast Disney operation. Editorial remark or not, this is an unsupported idea that is causing AP holders undue stress.

disneyspartan

Regular FastPass will be phased out.

There are no immediate plans to phase out paper FastPass tickets. You may find less kiosks, but they will not be removed completely. To elaborate on the future cast member's concern, the guests using the comp tickets will have the option to get a plastic RFID card to utilize the FastPass+ system, and FastPasses will still be available on the day of your visit, just as they are now. A certain percentage will be available in advance for planning, and a balanced amount will be available on the day of.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hogwash. Disney AP holders are just as much a money maker as anyone else. They come into the parks and frequent their favorite restaurants, shops and snack stands without ever blinking an eye. Moreover, AP holders are arguably the largest demographic at DLR, so that would effectively shut down the west coast Disney operation. Editorial remark or not, this is an unsupported idea that is causing AP holders undue stress.

I apologize... no stress meant. :)

The whole comment stems from the fact that a local can no longer simply walk into a park and get seated at a table service restaurant, they can no longer expect to find unique merchandise to purchase at individual parks, they can no longer expect to ride their favorite attraction without a six month reservation...et al

Yes..I was taking matters to an extreme, (and I have modified my original statement to reflect that) but with a new regime about to take over in Florida, hopefully, this whole scenario will no longer be a possibility.

But with the current management, it would NOT have surprised me in the least.

AP holders: Please DO NOT take my previous comment as an omen.

fillerup

There might be an element of truth to what you say if you're talking about the twice a year visitor who buys an AP because it makes more sense than a multi-day. But when you talk about locals it's a completely different animal.

I don't frequent anything "without ever blinking an eye". I eat before I go or after I leave - maybe at home or maybe at Carraba's or Panera. Because long ago, I gave up on Disney's mediocre and over priced grub. Maybe the occasional slushee on a hot July day, or hot chocolate after looking at the Osborne lights, but not much more than that.

As for merchandise, I might go into a shop to get some AC, but not to buy. Oh well - full disclosure - I did buy my wife a discounted tshirt at Downtown Disney three or four years ago, but that's about it.

And trust me, I'm more the rule than the exception as far as locals go.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There might be an element of truth to what you say if you're talking about the twice a year visitor who buys an AP because it makes more sense than a multi-day. But when you talk about locals it's a completely different animal.

I don't frequent anything "without ever blinking an eye". I eat before I go or after I leave - maybe at home or maybe at Carraba's or Panera. Because long ago, I gave up on Disney's mediocre and over priced grub. Maybe the occasional slushee on a hot July day, or hot chocolate after looking at the Osborne lights, but not much more than that.

As for merchandise, I might go into a shop to get some AC, but not to buy. Oh well - full disclosure - I did buy my wife a discounted tshirt at Downtown Disney three or four years ago, but that's about it.

And trust me, I'm more the rule than the exception as far as locals go.
You are causing Disney undue stress. :D

ParentsOf4

NextGen is not about traditional categories of WDW or (eventually) DLR guests. It doesn't matter if you are an AP holder or DVC member. It's about who is likely to spend at WDW and DLR. Both AP holders and DVC members include big spenders and value shoppers. So do Deluxe, Moderate, and Value Resort guests (with Deluxe Resort guests obviously starting from a higher baseline). NextGen allows Disney to determine the individual big spenders and reward them accordingly. Ultimately, TDO wants to have a single category for everyone: $.

awesomeinabox

Ok so I just transferred hotels for a night and something weird happened. I was informed I was a candidate for the magic band and then the agent disappeared in back and came out only to say they didn't have them yet. This was a digital note on the reservation as it came up at check in. I'm guessing disney is doing soft roll outs on these for guests (this reservation was for one night room only). Has anyone else gotten this when they checked in?

PoppinsFan

I disagree with the multiple previous posts that Florida residents or WDW visitors that stay off site do not spend as much $ at the World than most of the visitors that stay on site. I have a timeshare that I normally stay at when we travel to WDW. We have been there 4 times in the past 6 years. I assure you we spend more than most of our friends that travel and stay at a Value or Moderate resort. Most of them only go during the Free Dining Promotions, not paying for any of their meals. They bring in their own snacks, use the Disney transportation, and buy limited merchandise. My family goes for 8 nights, buy park hopper tickets, eat a QS, TS, snacks, adult beverages each day we are in the park. Pay $15 to park daily, and buy lots of Disney merchandise. I can't imagine at $40 a steak that Disney is not making a large profit off of each and every meal I purchase. So if the rumors are accurate and you will only be able to use/reserve Fastpasses/Nex Gen system by staying on site, I think Disney is making a huge mistake. Whats that old saying, "You shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you"

stevehousse

If they do go along with that, it just seems that they are trying to "force" everyone to stay on property. Sorry Disney, but if I can get a great hotel room just as nice as any value or moderate hotel for half the price or even a whole 5 bedroom vacation house for under 100 a day, I'm sticking with it!

Cosmic Commando

If they do go along with that, it just seems that they are trying to "force" everyone to stay on property. Sorry Disney, but if I can get a great hotel room just as nice as any value or moderate hotel for half the price or even a whole 5 bedroom vacation house for under 100 a day, I'm sticking with it!
Well, the scary thing is that they really can't force everyone to stay on property... there's simply not enough rooms. It's about giving you the same room at a higher price while maintaining occupancy rates.

Adam5897

Have people been able to make fastpass+ reservations on the new website/app yet? Because in just a little over 2 weeks it will be 60 days out for my trip and I would like to try it. We all know that they are trying to roll all of this out soon but it would be nice if disney could give us dates. I they want us to use the MyMagic+ system then giving the date when we can would help.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Have people been able to make fastpass+ reservations on the new website/app yet? Because in just a little over 2 weeks it will be 60 days out for my trip and I would like to try it. We all know that they are trying to roll all of this out soon but it would be nice if disney could give us dates. I they want us to use the MyMagic+ system then giving the date when we can would help.
It's still in testing. Most of the people picked for testing have used Magical Express and and received and email a few weeks before their trip

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom