NextGen Deep Impact

Buried20KLeague

Actually, I think it will be both. NextGen will make touring easier for those who fork over more money to WDW, not directly on FP+ but indirectly on the things needed (e.g. onsite rooms) to get the "good" FP+.

There are limited numbers of FP for attractions such as TSM, Soarin', Peter Pan, etc. Today, people get FP based on the amount of effort they put into it. Get to the parks early, run around from FP dispenser to FP dispenser, and get "good" FP. The single parent working at the local grocery store has the same opportunity to get FP as the wealthy business executive.

With NextGen, people who stay onsite will get the first crack at FP+. Effectively, spend more money and get better FP+.

Hey, if I spent $400/night on a Deluxe Resort room, I'm going to be on TDO's case to get me a FP+ for TSM. TDO isn't being evil; they are following the business rules of supply-and-demand. It just means those with more money to spend will have better WDW experiences. The haves will have more, the have nots will have less. It's the way of the world lately. If they were selling rice to the poor, it would be unconscionable. But they simply are selling vacations. Still, it depresses me. "Et tu, Brute?"

I do not know this for a fact but signs are pointing this way. It's also possible TDO will change this 5 more times before officially rolling it out.

I don't think I need to say (again ) that you and I see this topic identically. ;)

I really do believe it will effect attendance negatively if they tier the system. I just do. Especially as long as DL doesn't follow suit...

Which worries me that this will get shoved down DL's throat no matter what, just to keep things equal. :(

Buried20KLeague

Arm chairing a bit here, but our fave spirit mentioned doubling up on F&W at EPCOT. Next Gen is a perfect way to vacuum more dollars from DVC members like I, that actually love to cook in villa. And to coax those that never cook in their villa to do so, and empty their wallets into the Disney coffers.
Let's say I am at F&W at EPCOT, I'm loving something that I tasted at the Italy kiosk, and post that on whatever app is associated with F&W on my Smartphone. Up comes a prepackaged grocery bag with recipes included for making the perfect Italian meal in our villa, with a list of wine pairing. You order for 2 or more, and they've kept you on property by cooking in, instead of you from ordering groceries from off property. Prepackage heat and eat is also offered, another way of keeping we DVC members spending money on property. All of this while staying at your perfect resort of choice. Aren't DVC members booking during F&W for their love of food, and wine? And Disney hasn't latched on to this concept, and milked it for all it's worth?
It's a no brainer for me, I thought of that years ago, but the lugs at TDO haven't come up with that one yet?
Personally speaking? I'd have been Pixie Dusted into that idea, lock, stock, and barrel.
Instead, they offer we DVC members $ 300 off the going rate for a PAP, and then take away the 20% discount. Idiots.

See, that's a great idea... And one that could have been done 10 years ago, without the need of nextgen.

Buried20KLeague

I can see how this is depressing for annual passholders, who visit several times a year (if not more so). I have read this thread, and understand why this is a concern for you and yours.

But from my perspective (as the silent majority), FP+ is the best news I've ever heard, especially if your predictions are as spot on as I hope!

For families who may only visit once every five years, and choose to stay onsite at moderate/deluxe resorts, this is actually an amazing perk. I can choose to go to WL, and they go ahead and slap 8 Fastpass plusses on us. . . every day? I pay the same price, and get what I feel is an added value, and it doesn't require rope drop insanity, crisscrossing the parks, or having to obsess over details online to learn all the local "tricks." (I admit that the last one is actually kind of fun).

If you think about it, this FP+ program is genius. With this kind of service, I may choose to come to Disney much more often, turning a once-every-five-year family into a every-other-year family. My family fills a room 2.5 times as much over the next 30 years

Will they lose some annual passholders? Maybe. . . but they will get me, much more often.

So... You believe that going once every 5 years and staying in a deluxe puts you in the majority?

I beg to differ.

And I'd be careful... Those yearly trips are a slippery slope. You start noticing all the areas of WDW that are falling apart, and then you'll start lamenting the same things as us... Which would put you in, apparently, the vocal minority. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would try to identify that family of APers who visit 4 weeks a year and give them a discount on their fifth week or make sure that the next time they tried to get a last minute table that it was there for them. If I could I might even try to differentiate between a family of APers who visit 4 weeks a year, buy stuff (even just a little bit of stuff) and treat my employees and other customers with some respect, and a family of APers who visit 4 weeks a year and push and shove and generally make things harder on my employees and other customers. Of course I'm looking at it from the perspective of a small businessman who knows my customers by name.

Exactly why I've advocated that Disney should replace their high volume AP programs (especially at DLR) with loyalty programs that reward repeat business rather than simply 'buy into discounts' with a onetime purchase.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
From a business standpoint the regular customer always trumps the one off customer. I don't know a lot about Disney but I know that a regular customer who spends a little over many visits is a better customer than a one shot customer who spends a lot one time.

It is often the case that if you are providing a non essential product that you give those regulars discounts and perks when economic conditions worsen and take them away when the economy improves...as long as you maintain a premium experience.

I would try to identify that family of APers who visit 4 weeks a year and give them a discount on their fifth week or make sure that the next time they tried to get a last minute table that it was there for them. If I could I might even try to differentiate between a family of APers who visit 4 weeks a year, buy stuff (even just a little bit of stuff) and treat my employees and other customers with some respect, and a family of APers who visit 4 weeks a year and push and shove and generally make things harder on my employees and other customers. Of course I'm looking at it from the perspective of a small businessman who knows my customers by name.

If NextGen is about Disney getting to know it's customers better it might be a good thing. If it's about trading fastpasses for dollars then Disney is doomed.

That doesn't seem to be the direction that WDW is heading. They are not looking to run the place like a small business. I think it's clear from the list Parentsof4 posted that the benefits to AP holders is shrinking and the focus is moving away from catering to those guests. I'm not saying I like it, but it appears to be the trend. With WDW there is a constant demand from tourists. I don't have any hard stats, but I assume the vast majority of guests who visit WDW are not local AP holders. Take the extreme example of an AP holder who shows up at MK at 6pm after having dinner at the local Chilis. They park for free, ride rides, enjoy the parade and fireworks and leave at 10Pm. Since they used their AP they spend nothing that night but they used park amenities and filled capacity that the company sees as better being filled by tourists. The name of the game at WDW seems to be filling hotel rooms and maximizing the cash spent by each guest. They are not going to stop selling local APs, but I am pretty sure that TDO would not be upset to lose some of these guests since they know that they can replace them with a tourist staying on property enjoying the DDP and using the ME bus service so no practical means to get off property to eat or shop. If this was not the case they would at least attempt to be competitive with other local parks and they would not be cutting out merchandise discounts and jacking up AP prices.

So... You believe that going once every 5 years and staying in a deluxe puts you in the majority?

I beg to differ.

And I'd be careful... Those yearly trips are a slippery slope. You start noticing all the areas of WDW that are falling apart, and then you'll start lamenting the same things as us... Which would put you in, apparently, the vocal minority. ;)

What are we measuring? It depends on your perspective.

1. What is a more typical experience for the average WDW guest? Living in central Florida and have an annual pass, or living anywhere else in the world that isn't central Florida and saving your pennies for that family vacation? Yes, I am the majority.

2. These kinds of forum threads, as far as I've read, are over represented by the concerns of annual passholders, not by resort guests. So yes, I am the silent (or at least less vocal) majority.

I'm was hoping that hearing my opinion would add just another perspective on this discussion, but only in the short term. You see, after my trip with my family in January, I will most likely forget about these forums and move on with my life. In a few years, we'll start to talk about another trip, in which case (out of excitement), I will probably get a new username and password (having forgotten this on).

On the other hand, if we have a bad time, experience terrible service, get stuck on all the rides, walk around in ankle-deep garbage, or choke on a bunch of paint flecks coming off the rides. . . you know, all that bad stuff. . . well, we just won't go back. I'm a grown up and I can say "no" to WDW.

You can make a decision not to renew your annual pass. You send them your message, and I'll send them mine.

Again, it's all about perspective. Based on Parentof4 assumptions, well. . . I do want a tiered system for Fastpass+. I've told you why, as well as how it may increase my desire to go back more often (alot of assumptions there, obviously). Well. . . maybe.

;)

PhotoDave219

As an once-every-few-years onsite guest, you're going to become TDO's best buddy. Others will lose out big time.

TDO clearly is beginning to treat its AP holders with contempt. Consider:
  • Premium Annual Passes went up 7.7%.
  • Annual Passes went up 10.6%.
  • Children under the age of 10 now are charged the full adult AP price.
  • AP merchandise discount was cut in half.
  • TIW price went up 33%.
There's a pattern here. TDO doesn't like AP holders any more.

They never did. Considering I got last years AP down to $3.26/visit, not including parking?

If FP+ goes in the direction I think it will, AP holders will lose even more by being placed behind onsite guests. Basically, onsite guests will be able to get better FP+ while AP holders and other offsite guests might end up with their scraps.

AP holders tend to be experienced WDW visitors who know how to game the system. They know how to score the best FP, where to find the cheapest food, etc. TDO would much rather have the more clueless (sorry) once-every-few-years vacationers who spend more and complain less.

AP holders tend to be locals or cost-conscious visitors who spend a lot less than the once-every-few-years vacationers. They stay offsite and spend less on food & merchandise. Yet AP holders consume just as many WDW resources, i.e. transportation, attractions, etc. WDW wants to deploy its resources more cost efficiently to favor those who spend more.

I know several AP holders who have guest disability cards so they don't have to wait in line. I'm not going to name names but I can think of at least 10 people off the top of my head.

I only spend less on food because I can't get into resturants I want to eat at because of the Dining Plan.

The next step would be for TDO to eliminate the “free parking” benefit for AP holders. However, this could backfire, as FP look for alternatives such as parking at the resorts (even though they are not supposed to) and taking the buses, causing the resort parking lots and buses to get much more crowded, upsetting onsite guests. Because of this, I don’t see this happening anytime soon. Instead, maybe just more AP price increases.

Security has been taking the step of restricting parking at the Poly/Contemporary/Campground to people who have a reservation at a restaurant or existing resort guests. I'm willing to bet that no-shows at Kona Cafe & The Wave have increased on days they do that.

Meaning I cant go to the Poly bar to have a drink with my friends. I have to park my happy in MK parking and hike over.

Parking at DTD fills up rapidly near the bus stops a lot more than it used to.

P.S. In case you are feeling pretty good about being an onsite guest, don’t forget, everybody loses with NextGen. Onsite guests are going to lose EMH, that’s an extra 4 hours per day of park hours. Merry Christmas.

Disney has done a pretty poor job at communicating how NextGen will work. Its typical tell the guests a line of bull.

Buried20KLeague

What are we measuring? It depends on your perspective.

1. What is a more typical experience for the average WDW guest? Living in central Florida and have an annual pass, or living anywhere else in the world that isn't central Florida and saving your pennies for that family vacation? Yes, I am the majority.

2. These kinds of forum threads, as far as I've read, are over represented by the concerns of annual passholders, not by resort guests. So yes, I am the silent (or at least less vocal) majority.

I'm was hoping that hearing my opinion would add just another perspective on this discussion, but only in the short term. You see, after my trip with my family in January, I will most likely forget about these forums and move on with my life. In a few years, we'll start to talk about another trip, in which case (out of excitement), I will probably get a new username and password (having forgotten this on).

On the other hand, if we have a bad time, experience terrible service, get stuck on all the rides, walk around in ankle-deep garbage, or choke on a bunch of paint flecks coming off the rides. . . you know, all that bad stuff. . . well, we just won't go back. I'm a grown up and I can say "no" to WDW.

You can make a decision not to renew your annual pass. You send them your message, and I'll send them mine.

Again, it's all about perspective. Based on Parentof4 assumptions, well. . . I do want a tiered system for Fastpass+. I've told you why, as well as how it may increase my desire to go back more often (alot of assumptions there, obviously). Well. . . maybe.

;)

My... Arent we fussy.

It might surprise you, but I do not live in Florida, nor am I a pass holder. I've always stayed on site until the last couple years when I've been unable to look past the shortcomings and overcharging.

My problem with this is the tiered system it will create because it will cause angst between the haves and the have nots. Just because I can afford it and can be one of the haves doesn't make it a good idea in my mind, because its not all about me.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though... I'm used to seeing the "me, me, me" mentality at a WDW. Let me know if I should direct you to the scooter rental location.

Your opinion is fine, and I didn't attack you. The smiley face at the end was to actually indicate i was joking, as opposed to yours which could have been accompnied by a middle finger. Merry Christmas!

WDW is a hobby of mine, and I care about its general direction... You'll probably find most here share that opinion. That's why we discuss these topics probably WAY too much.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My... Arent we fussy.

It might surprise you, but I do not live in Florida, nor am I a pass holder. I've always stayed on site until the last couple years when I've been unable to look past the shortcomings and overcharging.

My problem with this is the tiered system it will create because it will cause angst between the haves and the have nots. Just because I can afford it and can be one of the haves doesn't make it a good idea in my mind, because its not all about me.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though... I'm used to seeing the "me, me, me" mentality at a WDW. Let me know if I should direct you to the scooter rental location.

Your opinion is fine, and I didn't attack you. The smiley face at the end was to actually indicate i was joking, as opposed to yours which could have been accompnied by a middle finger. Merry Christmas!

WDW is a hobby of mine, and I care about its general direction... You'll probably find most here share that opinion. That's why we discuss these topics probably WAY too much.
She also said "alot"

doctornick

After reading all this....

Some of you could just wait in line for the ride. Just sayin.

Also, people always seem to ignore that for all the annoyances of longer standby lines due to FP or FP+, the flip side is shorter waits when a person actually uses FP/FP+. If you are a person who is able to utilize FP/FP+ as much as an average guest or more, then you'll probably make out with the system. Longer standby sometimes will be offset by more quickly getting onto rides at other times.

Obviously, that depends on how FP+ is offered, as is a concern of many on here. But likewise, most people on here are overly knowledgeably of how things work at WDW, so if it's accessible to all, most here will be able to game the system to the maximal advantage.

RSoxNo1

Actually, I think it will be both. NextGen will make touring easier for those who fork over more money to WDW, not directly on FP+ but indirectly on the things needed (e.g. onsite rooms) to get the "good" FP+.

There are limited numbers of FP for attractions such as TSM, Soarin', Peter Pan, etc. Today, people get FP based on the amount of effort they put into it. Get to the parks early, run around from FP dispenser to FP dispenser, and get "good" FP. The single parent working at the local grocery store has the same opportunity to get FP as the wealthy business executive.

With NextGen, people who stay onsite will get the first crack at FP+. Effectively, spend more money and get better FP+.

Hey, if I spent $400/night on a Deluxe Resort room, I'm going to be on TDO's case to get me a FP+ for TSM. TDO isn't being evil; they are following the business rules of supply-and-demand. It just means those with more money to spend will have better WDW experiences. The haves will have more, the have nots will have less. It's the way of the world lately. If they were selling rice to the poor, it would be unconscionable. But they simply are selling vacations. Still, it depresses me. "Et tu, Brute?"

I do not know this for a fact but signs are pointing this way. It's also possible TDO will change this 5 more times before officially rolling it out.
I'm not convinced that scheduling out only 4 attractions will make your day easier if you are paying a premium. Right now, those same people could spent $10 on a touringplans.com subscription and be much better off than they would after Disney artificially inflates the wait times with Fastpass+. Factor in the elimination of late returns on Fastpasses and it's becoming more and more of a chore to tour the parks.

While the technology itself may be a step forward the usage of that technology compared to what was previously done is a step backwards.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You could be right but I don't see WDW's bread-and-butter crowd as the touringplans.com type. As I recall, somewhere in the introduction to the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (i.e. the book associated with touringplans.com) they even acknowledge that their touring plans and tips work so well because, essentially, so few people read them.

"Typical" (Is there such a thing?) WDW vacationers are not that sophisticated. I'm always surprised at, for example, how many show up without tickets and no idea what parks they are going to do. NextGen/FP+ will give their vacations structure and allow TDO to better plan resources accordingly. I suspect "typical" WDW vacationers are going to love FP+. They are going to love having TDO essentially plan out their vacations for them and are going to be attracted at the idea of having front-of-the-line access guaranteed before they arrive.

For the most part, the people who post regularly on websites such as wdwmagic.com are WDW's most informed customers. I suspect there are millions who visit WDW every year without ever having viewed any website except disneyworld.com.

Bingo. From personal experience I agree with this. My next trip to WDW will be with another family (first time we are trying this). The couple has been to WDW once as adults without kids probably 10 to 15 years ago. They wanted to take their kids for what they are describing as a once in a lifetime trip. We have kids that are the same ages so we figured it would be fun. We are staying at BLT on my points but they still wanted to do DDP so we are buying it as an add on. I tried to explain how Tables in Wonderland worked, but we decided on DDP since its easier logistically and easy to budget with. We had a brief discussion about the concept of FP+ and they thought it sounded like a great idea and were hoping we could use it for our trip. We are already planning on making our ADRs at the 6 month mark and we will have a set plan as to what parks we will be doing on which day. The point is that they definitely want to plan out every aspect of the trip since they don't want to miss anything. For me, if we miss something this trip it's no big deal, we'll catch it next time in a year or two but since it's their "once in a lifetime" trip they want to make sure they see and do everything. I think that this is probably a stereotypical example of the average WDW guest who visits once or every once in a while. Not only don't they mind planning ahead and having some of their trip micromanaged by Disney, they actually prefer it and see it as a nice perk. This is especially true when combined with a nice website and a good marketing campaign.

RSoxNo1

You could be right but I don't see WDW's bread-and-butter crowd as the touringplans.com type. As I recall, somewhere in the introduction to the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (i.e. the book associated with touringplans.com) they even acknowledge that their touring plans and tips work so well because, essentially, so few people read them.

"Typical" (Is there such a thing?) WDW vacationers are not that sophisticated. I'm always surprised at, for example, how many show up without tickets and no idea what parks they are going to do. NextGen/FP+ will give their vacations structure and allow TDO to better plan resources accordingly. I suspect "typical" WDW vacationers are going to love FP+. They are going to love having TDO essentially plan out their vacations for them and are going to be attracted at the idea of having front-of-the-line access guaranteed before they arrive.

For the most part, the people who post regularly on websites such as wdwmagic.com are WDW's most informed customers. I suspect there are millions who visit WDW every year without ever having viewed any website except disneyworld.com.
Then the option for Disney is to beat touringplans at their own game and charge an arm and a leg for it? I've "blue skied" an idea that can provide "customize" a vacation for people but again it's without the proprietary access that Disney has but doesn't seem to be taking advantage of. If they want to create a new system called Fastpass+ and have it be a cost driver for the company then have it operate where guests pay a premium for it, get additional Fastpass+ reservations per day and have it restricted so it doesn't change the access to regular park guests. If they have to be scheduled but Fastpass+ users get greater access, fine but this way guests are paying a premium to be super structured but those that don't want that aren't suffering.

You can even market it like an old ticket book. Guests get access to so many A-E tickets without waiting in line. Say the ticket book is $100 per guest per day ($50 for deluxe guests $75 for moderates) and they limit the access to a set # per day. Only Fastpass+ users will be able to use their Fastpass+ tickets at the attractions that have added Fastpass+ but didn't previously have Fastpass, and they would get preferential treatment at the other attractions.

It could work similarly to how Universal does their Guest Assistance pass - if the wait time is under 30 minutes then you enter the Fastpass+ queue regardless of the time. If the wait time is over 30 minutes, you're given a return time.

This is just off the top of my head and while complicated, I don't think it's any more complicated than what they're currently planning.

asianway

Then the option for Disney is to beat touringplans at their own game and charge an arm and a leg for it? I've "blue skied" an idea that can provide "customize" a vacation for people but again it's without the proprietary access that Disney has but doesn't seem to be taking advantage of. If they want to create a new system called Fastpass+ and have it be a cost driver for the company then have it operate where guests pay a premium for it, get additional Fastpass+ reservations per day and have it restricted so it doesn't change the access to regular park guests. If they have to be scheduled but Fastpass+ users get greater access, fine but this way guests are paying a premium to be super structured but those that don't want that aren't suffering.

You can even market it like an old ticket book. Guests get access to so many A-E tickets without waiting in line. Say the ticket book is $100 per guest per day ($50 for deluxe guests $75 for moderates) and they limit the access to a set # per day. Only Fastpass+ users will be able to use their Fastpass+ tickets at the attractions that have added Fastpass+ but didn't previously have Fastpass, and they would get preferential treatment at the other attractions.

It could work similarly to how Universal does their Guest Assistance pass - if the wait time is under 30 minutes then you enter the Fastpass+ queue regardless of the time. If the wait time is over 30 minutes, you're given a return time.

This is just off the top of my head and while complicated, I don't think it's any more complicated than what they're currently planning.

Something I havent heard mention yet - what if at some point they do start charging per attraction again? Not simply for a FP+ but a charge to even wait in standby. You rode Space Mountain once with the FP+ attached to your package reservation, great, want to ride it again? $2 to ride in Standby, $5 for another FP+.

Simply tap here...

ParentsOf4

Then the option for Disney is to beat touringplans at their own game and charge an arm and a leg for it? I've "blue skied" an idea that can provide "customize" a vacation for people but again it's without the proprietary access that Disney has but doesn't seem to be taking advantage of. If they want to create a new system called Fastpass+ and have it be a cost driver for the company then have it operate where guests pay a premium for it, get additional Fastpass+ reservations per day and have it restricted so it doesn't change the access to regular park guests.
Yes, I believe Disney will essentially offer their own version of touringplans (really reserved FP times) and charge an arm-and-a-leg for it in the form of resort prices. As I've written before, FP+ is "free" but it's more free for those who spend more.

People love buying things directly from Disney and paying a premium for it. Vacation packages and DDP are great examples of this.

As described in The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, vacation packages are more expensive, not less, than buying the individual components. They also have much more restrictive cancellation policies. Yet lots of people purchase vacation packages anyway. They've been trained to think buying in bulk is supposed to be less expensive and TDO is taking full advantage of this assumption. These people are handing over money to TDO that they don't need to. They are giving TDO free money.

The same is true with DDP. (Note that I'm not talking about "Free Dining".) When first introduced in 2005, I believe DDP made financial sense for a lot of people. It offered a respectable value. Between price hikes and content reductions, DDP simply doesn't make sense anymore. However, there still are plenty of people who go into it thinking "I like my meals prepaid" (then get a debit card) or "I like not worrying about how much things cost" (which is exactly what TDO hopes you'll think) or "I like being able to order the most expensive thing on the menu" (which is exactly what TDO wants you to do, spend more than you need to). If people seriously number-crunched it, they would realize that DDP no longer makes financial sense. That's why TDO can make a lot of money from it by homogenizing food choices. Seriously, food quality has declined exactly because of DDP.

FP+ will be just like vacation packages and DDP. People will pay more because Disney will tell them they are getting more, whereas, in reality, they will get less because EMH will be going away. There are a lot of people out there who actually believe what Disney tells them and woe to anyone who questions that.
If they have to be scheduled but Fastpass+ users get greater access, fine but this way guests are paying a premium to be super structured but those that don't want that aren't suffering.
Those that don't participate in TDO's plans for FP+ are suffering. Severely. Today's FP grants equal front-of-line access to onsite and offsite guests. You want to get a good FP return time for a good attraction? Get out of bed early, shower, and head to the park. Someone staying at a $29.99/night hotel gets just as much access as someone dropping $500/night at the GF.

FP+ is not going to work that way. Preliminary indications are that onsite guests will get preferential treatment. They will be able to get the good FP+ for TSM, Soarin', Peter Pan, etc. You know, the attractions that really need them. I now believe TDO has added FP+ to attractions that don't need them so they can put up the façade that everyone is equally participating in FP+. GF guests will get TSM FP+ that will save them from standing in line for 120 minutes, while offsite guests will get AIE FP+ that will save them, well, nothing. It's all fake, it's all a shell game. TDO is hoping 95% of their customers will go along for the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom