NextGen Deep Impact

flynnibus

Premium Member
Aoa built because of the demand for larger 'value' rooms. Connecting rooms is a nice equivalent but they aren't guaranteed like a suite is.

Comparing to dvc at 9 pp is an extreme since most brokered rentals are more like 11-13 pp

Aoa is about capacity in a specific target. People talk about 78%... But that is not uniform across all room types.

disneyflush

Exactly. EVERYBODY needs to read this post.

TDO is NOT responsible for everything at WDW, so that term needs to stop being used this instant!

Curious, are you laughing when you post like this or do you really mean to come off sounding this way? "This way" meaning like an enraged parent.

Glasgow

When I entered this thread I thought it would be fun and exciting, you know, like that movie, SpaceBalls. But instead its been painful and disturbing, like that movie Police Academy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aoa built because of the demand for larger 'value' rooms. Connecting rooms is a nice equivalent but they aren't guaranteed like a suite is.

Comparing to dvc at 9 pp is an extreme since most brokered rentals are more like 11-13 pp

Aoa is about capacity in a specific target. People talk about 78%... But that is not uniform across all room types.
Never rented points myself, but from reading around these parts and other boards it seems like its relatively easy to find $10 direct from an owner and if you shop around $9 or even $8 is possible. Even at $11 per point you are still paying less than $100 a night more for a room that's twice as large with an extra bathroom, full kitchen and a walk/monorail/boat to MK, monorail to EPCOT and much less crowded buses to AK and DHS. For me, I don't see how the suites at AOA are a good value, but that's just an opinion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Never rented points myself, but from reading around these parts and other boards it seems like its relatively easy to find $10 direct from an owner and if you shop around $9 or even $8 is possible. Even at $11 per point you are still paying less than $100 a night more for a room that's twice as large with an extra bathroom, full kitchen and a walk/monorail/boat to MK, monorail to EPCOT and much less crowded buses to AK and DHS. For me, I don't see how the suites at AOA are a good value, but that's just an opinion.

You're also glancing over the idea of buying 1st party vs 3rd party. Renting is a deal with independent private parties - not Disney. That alone carries significant value to many customers. Its like buying new vs used.. the used can be just as good as new.. but people are willing to pay for the piece of mind. Disney is not oblivious to that.. and why their cash rates for room can vary so much from the private rental market.

It's not an apples to apples to comparison to compare renting with private parties vs direct for those types of reasons. AoA isn't cheap - but it does cater to a specific need. One that has largely been underserved at Disney by the existing family suites at AllStars.

icecreamrules

I feel so behind the 8 ball, here I thought I knew the
latest on Disney, but reading these posts opened my eyes. While I like FP, I hate running across the park to get
another. However, scheduling FP+ means too scheduled a day - if something happens and you miss your window (sick that day, or stuck in line somewhere else) it really would make you have a rigid schedule for the day. I like planning, but maybe not that much.

Longhairbear

We had friends over for dinner that love Disneyland, but have never been to WDW, and really don't have any idea of it's scope. They are infrequent Disneyland visitors, but cherish the memories of their childhood trips there. The topic of Next Gen /FP+ came up, and I mentioned the various ideas posters here are saying. Their response?
They seem to very much like the idea of Next Gen. I have other opinions, but kept them to myself, as that seemed the fair thing to do.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I feel so behind the 8 ball, here I thought I knew the latest on Disney, but reading these posts opened my eyes. While I like FP, I hate running across the park to get another. However, scheduling FP+ means too scheduled a day - if something happens and you miss your window (sick that day, or stuck in line somewhere else) it really would make you have a rigid schedule for the day. I like planning, but maybe not that much.
If you get a Fastpass you know when your window opens. nothing will change in that aspect with FP+ ...You simply do not get in a line with a long wait when your window is opening within an hour.

As far as getting sick....well you're on vacation...don't get sick!!:D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We had friends over for dinner that love Disneyland, but have never been to WDW, and really don't have any idea of it's scope. They are infrequent Disneyland visitors, but cherish the memories of their childhood trips there. The topic of Next Gen /FP+ came up, and I mentioned the various ideas posters here are saying. Their response?
They seem to very much like the idea of Next Gen. I have other opinions, but kept them to myself, as that seemed the fair thing to do.

I think I posted this already in one of the FP+ threads, but I think the "tourist" crowd will like FP+ a lot. I had a similar discussion with some friends who are going with me in November for their kid's first trip and they seemed to think it sounded really cool. They are also planning on booking all of our ADRs at the 6 month window and want to make sure we come up with a plan for each day so that we don't miss anything since they don't plan on going back to WDW any time soon, if ever. I think frequent visitors who like to be more spontaneous at WDW will find it the most restrictive. That is probably why the overwhelming response on this board is negative.

koryadams

I am liking the things I am seeing with Next Gen...easier access to rooms and checking out at registers, and the new entrance touch and go...I think those are pretty easy to get used to. I'm not too worried about all the changes.

awoogala

Just for reference.. we are in the parks this week, and they are already having guests of the resorts with kttw cards go in a seperate faster entrance to use the rfid. Nice and quick, and will make a lot of people start wondering how to get in that "faster" line already.

Figments Friend

Thanks for the heads up.
I am in town soon and will likely get to experience this.
Staying on property, but i will not have Park admission on my KTTW card (have leftover paper tix).
Interested to see how that will be handled. Perhaps just tap n* go with the paper tix perhaps?
Hmm..i need to go back and read some more threads.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks for the heads up.
I am in town soon and will likely get to experience this.
Staying on property, but i will not have Park admission on my KTTW card (have leftover paper tix).
Interested to see how that will be handled. Perhaps just tap n* go with the paper tix perhaps?
Hmm..i need to go back and read some more threads.
I think that you can have your leftover unexpired tickets transferred over to any other medium (including a KTTK card) at your hotel

Figments Friend

Thanks for the response, unkadug.

I have a old 10-day non-exp pass i am using up the last day on this visit, but i also have a brand new 4-day ticket that has yet to be used.
Just curious as to how those admissions were going to be handled, since neither of them will be on my KTTW card.
Should be a fun experience...i shall have to report back on how it goes.

GeneralKnowledge

Thanks for the response, unkadug.

I have a old 10-day non-exp pass i am using up the last day on this visit, but i also have a brand new 4-day ticket that has yet to be used.
Just curious as to how those admissions were going to be handled, since neither of them will be on my KTTW card.
Should be a fun experience...i shall have to report back on how it goes.

I can tell you that unless you transfer those tickets to your KTTW card, you will be going through the regular old turnstiles.

Figments Friend

-
Thanks General for the info.
I have no real issue with that....as crowd levels are fairly low this time of year.
It will be fun to sit by the sidelines and watch how the crowds deal with this in the Summertime.

I will have to stock up on popcorn in a few weeks..
;)

GeneralKnowledge

-
Thanks General for the info.
I have no real issue with that....as crowd levels are fairly low this time of year.
It will be fun to sit by the sidelines and watch how the crowds deal with this in the Summertime.

I will have to stock up on popcorn in a few weeks..
;)

I have to say over the last week of observation, the new turn(less)stiles seem to go quicker. The lines were definitely shorter for them, but that isn't a true comparison because there is no way to know the breakdown of paper ticket vs. KTTW cards. I know that once you go through them for the first time, it should be quicker than the conventional turnstiles across the board. Of course humans as a whole typically let me down and there will most likely be droves of dullards that can't handle the new system..... probably the same dullards that can't handle the current system.

King Panda 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
When this whole next-gen thing hit the boads i was at first extremely worried that it would ruin my vacation in may of this year.However as time has gone on and things are becoming clearer i think it will be a positive experience.
As we only go once a year (all the way from the other side of the pond) we always stay on property and think that if they are going to phase out EMH then this should go some way to make up for it.As with anything new there will always be doom and gloom naysayers proclaiming this will be the end of the world as we know it but i feel that if you approach it with that sort of attitiude then it will be a negative experience for you.
As for "parting me from my cash" that is something that people have to take some responsibility for themselves... every time you exit a ride you go through a gift shop , doesn't mean you buy something from every gift shop.Just because you may get an extra FP+ for spending $200 at the emporium (speculatiion so far) doesn't mean that i will rush to spend that much money just to get a FP+.. Yes it would be a nice perk but if they don't have anything that i want i am not going to spend my money..
Most of what i have read is just conjecture and speculaion and am going to wait and see what happens over time and what i experience myself..

Cosmic Commando

I hate to say it, but this makes sense. From a business standpoint who is the better customer, the local who pays less than $2K for their family of 4's annual passes and uses them the equivalent of 4 weeks during the year or the "tourist" who books a $5,000 package for the week. If you get 4 tourist families to each drop $5K for a week that's $20K vs $2K from the local for the same 4 weeks of use. On top of that the tourists are a captive audience who eat on property almost exclusively and spend more on what a lot of regulars think of as "generic" and junky merchandise.
But who's more dependable? I have to be able to drop $1,000 just to get my family to WDW before Disney gets any of my money. Contrast that with the local who spends $20 on gas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom