NextGen Deep Impact

Hedwig's Keeper

If Disney is good at anything, it is turning off things that don't work (as opposed to fixing them). I guess we will have to wait and see.

You are exactly correct about that. I remember Light Tragic being the biggest disappointment ever. I hope the system works so that Disney can use the data mining to improve park experience.

CMV

Maybe the RFIDs will measure exactly how many people throw their arms up in disgust because the climax of a headliner attraction is lit by a f---ing strobe light.

Funmeister

Original Poster
Latest projected operational "crutches" for new system are being included in long term budgets. It seems to have been accepted that this system will never be a stand alone endeavor and will always have to have its hand held. The unexpected cost of labor for this "mouse-doggle" is incredible! This is projected to be financially worse (from a labor perspective) than the "Magic on Demand" debacle years ago.

Figments Friend

I have to say over the last week of observation, the new turn(less)stiles seem to go quicker. The lines were definitely shorter for them, but that isn't a true comparison because there is no way to know the breakdown of paper ticket vs. KTTW cards. I know that once you go through them for the first time, it should be quicker than the conventional turnstiles across the board. Of course humans as a whole typically let me down and there will most likely be droves of dullards that can't handle the new system..... probably the same dullards that can't handle the current system.
-
Indeed. Thanks General.
Fresh back from a few days visit...and was able to observe myself. Agree that it seems to go smoother. Folks were blowing through fairly quickly. I did not expereince going through myself, only because i had seperate ticket media ( CMs are good to know..!) It was fun to watch however...and the Guests going through seemed to think it was pretty cool. Wait until they learn about those purty bracelets...

The hand scanners i saw some CMs using to scan regular ticket media were neat little toys. I had my ticket scanned over at International Gateway one evening and was able to see the screen of it as my card was swiped. When your ticket is validated it makes a magical *pixiedust* sound. I found that amusing..in a good way.

I stayed on property, so i was able to enjoy the new door locks on the rooms. VERY nice plus. I like. Very handy.

I think these two things will be a welcome addition. It is the 'other' aspects of Next Gen that i am not so sure about....

Funmeister

Original Poster
Notice the increased amount of Guest Relations Cast Members being trained? Crank up those iPads and get ready to see plaid everywhere. I see a lot of people in the forums talk about kiosks...there are no kiosks planned as of now in the terms that you are thinking. The problem is much bigger than they thought so Guest Relations Cast Members will be stationed throughout the parks with iPads to "fix" any problem(s) you may/will have. These are some of the long term budgeted labor hours I spoke about earlier.

J03Y

just tell me when they start bringing the DHIs in, that will be the point at which i'll fully and whole heartedly accept the NextGen movement.

until then, i'll just sit here longing for one of those cool cards that make payment and access to everything easier, because that's actually one of the few things about the movement i find most useful as a resource.

COProgressFan

Notice the increased amount of Guest Relations Cast Members being trained? Crank up those iPads and get ready to see plaid everywhere. I see a lot of people in the forums talk about kiosks...there are no kiosks planned as of now in the terms that you are thinking. The problem is much bigger than they thought so Guest Relations Cast Members will be stationed throughout the parks with iPads to "fix" any problem(s) you may/will have. These are some of the long term budgeted labor hours I spoke about earlier.

Yeah, people have mentioned kiosks, but from what we've seen and heard, it doesn't look like they're planning on putting banks of kiosks anywhere. Looks like a lone kiosk in City Hall and maybe a couple other locations to serve the 35k visitors on any day the MK...

As far as having more Guest Relations CMs...its funny how they company that won't spend money to have enough crowd control CMs, or staff closed quick serve restaurants, or shorten EMH's to save on labor, is now suddenly willing to pay (at a slight premium) a small army of guest relations folks to man the park entries and deal with this mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom