Next Attraction For DAK?

CaptainMichael

Room? You want room? How about replace the waste-of-space attraction that is Rafiki's Planet Watch entirely.

Oh yes, there's plenty of room in DAK. Disney just needs to be willing to foot the bill.

Rafiki's Planet Watch
+
Dinorama
+
Camp Minnie-Mickey
=
Half a park...wasted (not used to it's fullest potential)

Which is still better than Studios where only one area (Sunset Blvd.) is worth a darn.

ToTBellHop

Oh yes, there's plenty of room in DAK. Disney just needs to be willing to foot the bill.

Rafiki's Planet Watch
+
Dinorama
+
Camp Minnie-Mickey
=

Which is still better than Studios where only one area (Sunset Blvd.) is worth a darn.
plus there are two massive plots of land already cleared. Space is not a problem at AK and won't be for decades. They easily have enough room to double the current capacity.

bob0012

Rafiki's Planet Watch
+
Dinorama
+
Camp Minnie-Mickey
=

Really what I think they should do is take the whole dinosaur area and gut it to turn it into a South America themed area. That would allow them to take the Dinosaur ride and turn it into an East Coaster version if Indy. If you recall the whole scene with the rolling rock to retrieve the golden idol took place in a South American jungle. Take the dinosaur idea, add in dragons and other mythical and extinct creatures and place them in beastly kingdom over where camp Mini-Mickey currently is.

ToTBellHop

Really what I think they should do is take the whole dinosaur area and gut it to turn it into a South America themed area. That would allow them to take the Dinosaur ride and turn it into an East Coaster version if Indy. If you recall the whole scene with the rolling rock to retrieve the golden idol took place in a South American jungle. Take the dinosaur idea, add in dragons and other mythical and extinct creatures and place them in beastly kingdom over where camp Mini-Mickey currently is.
So uh...to recap...bulldoze Dinoland, pick up Dinosaur, drop it off on the west side of the park, and retheme it? Oh, is that all???:lookaroun

bob0012

So uh...to recap...bulldoze Dinoland, pick up Dinosaur, drop it off on the west side of the park, and retheme it? Oh, is that all???:lookaroun

No, basicly dump the current dino theme and fold dinsours into beastly kingdom.

And it's not unprecidented to redo an entire land (1983, Fantasyland, DL)

I think that the current dinoland has 3 main parts

1. Dinosaur / Countdown to extinction
2. A glorified McDonalds playland (They even have a fry stand around there)
3. A cheap carnival themed area clearly designed for the sole purpose of adding games of skill, complete with fake crumpling parking lot.

I think it could be done better, should have been done better from the start, and a good way to fix it would be to start over.

RSoxNo1

To me the best choice for a new ride at AK is a water coaster like Atlantis at Sea World. Do something to trump both Jurassic Park and Atlantis. AK already has a water ride (a lousy one IMO compared to many rapids rides), but I think this would work since it could have indoor themed areas, plus exciting coaster elements.

I think the Water Coaster Idea would likely go to the Magic Kingdom in the form of Bald/Villain mountain.

As for my own speculation: I don't see a Lion King dark ride being created with Festival of the Lion King already there. The show is too popular to get rid of right now, so if anything the next logical step in my opinion is to move Festival of the Lion King to Africa. The problem is, I'm not sure where people are speculating that it be moved to? Are they thinking behind the Tusker House, or near where the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch is?

Although I'll never say never, I was under the impression that Disney didn't want to do a South America portion of the park because those animals are common at many zoos. I don't necessarily think that's a valid point, as I believe a South American section would make more sense than Australia.

My ideal situation however would be a North America section or Beastly Kingdom (or some variant) to take the place of Camp Minnie Mickey.

Mecha Figment

well if they do go fowards and build a water coaster lets hope it's better then the one at Seaworld I wated an hour for that thing and it majorly sucked. it was a totaly waste of my time.

JML42691

Some things I would like to see in Animal Kingdom are:
  • A South America/Rainforest themed part of the park. And I think that they could put it in the area behind Asia and next to the African Safari. The main enterence way to this area could be from the path between Africa and Asia.
  • They could drop Rafiki's Planet Watch and remove the train that accesses it.
  • They could build Beastly Kingdom in the Camp Minnie Mickey area of the park.
    • They could scatter the character meet & greets around the park
    • They could move the LionKing show to the foresty area behind the the resturaunt in Africa.
  • I also think that a nice addition to the park could be a night-time show like Fantasmic! on the water between Dinoland and Asia. If they were to make this then they could have it to a Brother Bear theme.
  • Another thing that they could do to the park is change/remove the carnival theme from Dinoland.
These are just my thoughts on the park, but I would really like to see it happen.

PigletIsMyCat

• I also think that a nice addition to the park could be a night-time show like Fantasmic! on the water between Dinoland and Asia. If they were to make this then they could have it to a Brother Bear theme.

The problem with that is that Animal Kingdom normally closes between 5 and 7 pm. It is open later during peak times of year, but even then the Safari closes down, and the two animal treks become pointless. The only things that don't lose their value after dark are Dinosaur, I guess Dinoland (with proper lighting), E:E, and I suppose you could ride Kali in the dark, although I never ride it at all. Then you have the Nemo show, FOTLK, and ITTBAB, which you don't need daylight for, and Camp Minnie Mickey is expendable. Oh, and Rafiki's Planet Watch is a great idea but it's stretched way too thin. And it loses it's value after dark. You know kids go there to pet the goats. Heck, that's why I go there.

AK just does not (yet) have the attractions worth keeping it open that far after dark on a daily basis to have a nighttime spectacular.

JML42691

The problem with that is that Animal Kingdom normally closes between 5 and 7 pm. It is open later during peak times of year, but even then the Safari closes down, and the two animal treks become pointless. The only things that don't lose their value after dark are Dinosaur, I guess Dinoland (with proper lighting), E:E, and I suppose you could ride Kali in the dark, although I never ride it at all. Then you have the Nemo show, FOTLK, and ITTBAB, which you don't need daylight for, and Camp Minnie Mickey is expendable. Oh, and Rafiki's Planet Watch is a great idea but it's stretched way too thin. And it loses it's value after dark. You know kids go there to pet the goats. Heck, that's why I go there.

AK just does not (yet) have the attractions worth keeping it open that far after dark on a daily basis to have a nighttime spectacular.

I agree with you being that it wouldn't be all that possible right now, but if many of the other things that I listed were to happen (which would allow more attractions and other things to do before the show), then this would be more likely to happen then the chances of it happening today. All that would have to close is the safari and the walking trails. With two other lands open (if they were to be built, hypothetical), then there would be many more things that guests could do in their spare time.

RSoxNo1

I don't think the problem with Animal Kingdom is just that it needs more nighttime activities. I think it just needs more activities. A mixture of animal exhibits and attractions not dependant on live animals can bring it to a full day park. Guests can prioritize the animal exhibits during the day, pushing the non-live animal based attractions to the evening. This can also be manipulated by park management by simply cutting out the early show of Pocahontas, Finding Nemo, and Festival of the Lion King and tacking another show on towards the end of the day. Doing something like that, having a night time show, adding another animal walk through and another ride or two that isn't dependant on live animals should bring that park to a full day experience.

ToTBellHop

AK also needs more sit-down restaurants to be open in the evening--all of the other parks have plenty of places to sit-down to dinner. AK has Rainforest Cafe and soon Yak & Yeti. They would need at least one more large sit-down. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a night safari, too, with a little innovation.

bears163

DAK need 1 more good attraction IMO & it would be good for a few years. Now MGM needs about 5 new attraction. Man there is just not much to do there at all. yeah there are some shows but come on. it just seems like nothing blends together very well there like the rest of the parks. again just IMO

summergurl

AK also needs more sit-down restaurants to be open in the evening--all of the other parks have plenty of places to sit-down to dinner. AK has Rainforest Cafe and soon Yak & Yeti. They would need at least one more large sit-down. I'm pretty sure they could come up with a night safari, too, with a little innovation.[/quote]

Hmm...good idea...:)
And also, I know CS isn't a favorite with most people, but I doubt that it will go anywhere, since so many working facilities are housed there as well (tracking labs, part of the nutrition center, vet hospital).

Ted_Kord

Maybe the 'Bear Cave Ride' or the 'Tunnel O' Bears'.

:)

"Tunnel O' Bears" may be the greatest idea ever. This needs to happen. I don't care whether it's E-Ticket, dark ride, interactive Buzz Lightyear shoot e'm up type, or Star Tours/ Body Wars style ride, I want me some "Tunnel O' Bears."

Rosso11

I'm pretty sure they could come up with a night safari, too, with a little innovation.

They absolutly can if they really wanted to. I just got back from S. Africa on safari and all they would really need was a spotlight for the animals. Its really pretty easy. Actually they might need an extra CM on the safari truck to work the spotlight while the driver drives. They could cut back the amount of trucks at night and have the extra CMs use the spotlights. This could make for a very different ride at night and would actually be a very exciting experience. I must say after going on the real thing in Africa I have to give Disney credit for doing such a great job on their safari.

ToTBellHop

They absolutly can if they really wanted to. I just got back from S. Africa on safari and all they would really need was a spotlight for the animals. Its really pretty easy. Actually they might need an extra CM on the safari truck to work the spotlight while the driver drives. They could cut back the amount of trucks at night and have the extra CMs use the spotlights. This could make for a very different ride at night and would actually be a very exciting experience. I must say after going on the real thing in Africa I have to give Disney credit for doing such a great job on their safari.
I would guess the real problem would be the chance of hitting animals since you can't see as well. What if a rhino decides to sleep on the road? Honking your horn at him might make him charge. There would have to be certain precautions taken and I'm sure the animals out in the Reserve would be somewhat limited--still, a giraffe at night is pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom