Next Attraction For DAK?

pcf1385

AK already has a drencher of a water ride. MGM is the park that needs a water ride (and Maelstrom needs a bigger splash).

It's interesting that you say this as I had never rode in the front of malestrom until last summer and it was just my bf and I and we got pretty wet after the drop coming towards the end of the ride (I think that is where the splash is ?) I never even knew water came into to boat, let alone enough to give me a completely wet ! I don't know if it's usually like that or what, but I did get splashed, not splash mountain, but wet.

Rosso11

They had exactly this back in 2000.
Here is a report I wrote for the site from http://www.wdwmagic.com/animal_archive1.htm

"
Janaury 6 2000: Kilimanamjaro Night Safaris
During the extended opening hours over Christmas, AK ran the awesome night safaris. New for this year, the safaris runs a different show starting at dusk. A whole new audio track accompanies the tour, with animal sounds appearing in the distance, comments from Wilson, an encounter with Miss Jobson, a local tribe wedding, and of course a chase with the poachers! Seeing the tour a night is a totally different experience. Some of the animals were resting in plain sight of the ride, and others, like the lions were more active than they are in the day! The savannah had no lighting, just the light rigs that were attached to each vehicle. The lighting was automated to vary light levels at different points, and the spotter (there were 2 CMs in each vehicle) could control one of the spot lights to highlight animals etc.
AK CMs have really made an effort with this show - they should definitely continue it as often as they can. Great job to any CMs reading!"

If AK adds the rumored night time show and the park becomes a full day park they really need to bring this back. This would add an entirely new ride experience at night and another reason to stay late at AK.

ToTBellHop

Let's face it. AK's animals are no longer what you would call "wild." That's just how it is. They are closer to wild than at most other zoos (one reason they are so much happier than at other zoos, allowing for such a successful breeding program), but just because launching IllumiNations in the middle of the Serengeti would freak out the animals does not mean the same would occur at WDW. AK's animals are just unpaid Cast Members, and I would argue they are MORE accustomed to fireworks than even thunderstorms. Thunderstorms don't happen every day in Central Florida, but fireworks do occur multiple times every night--I'm sure some of the animals can even hear fireworks at Universal (you know, when Universal feels the need to actually stay open past 7 pm and have fireworks........).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thank you, Kyle.:wave:

I have often thought this when the argument came up against fireworks at DAK, but never could have expressed it as eloquently as you did !

Liverstealer

As far as fireworks go, there was a recent bulletin put out to DAK CMs to NOT honk their horns as the drive past the giraffe barns backstage. With the birth of the new baby, it apparently has moved some CMs to do this, but what is intended to be a warm gesture is harmful because 1. It interferes with the husbandry training of the giraffes and 2. It freaks them out and can be stressful. I can only imagine what fireworks would do.
Africa doesn't have a whole lot of room to expand. Possible directly to the left past Dawa Bar as you enter Africa, but access roads and animal barns limit room for Africa to expand too much. Right now the park is experiencing growing pains as that new mountain has dramatically changed attendance. What used to be the park's peak season numbers are now relatively average in comparison to the "new normal."
There is desire to add attractions that could extend the park's open hours yet still keep the animal focus. Maybe not a night safari, but maybe a section of the park dedicated to nocturnal animals.

ToTBellHop

nocturnal animals would be nice, but the way you refer to them there would only be a couple hours in a given day (outside of EMH) to see them. A more likely route is to build a completely dark enclosure with controlled daylight--make it bright at night and dark during the day, and the animals will equilibrate after a few days and be active during normal operating hours. They could manipulate the exact timing as needed.

MJMcBride

nocturnal animals would be nice, but the way you refer to them there would only be a couple hours in a given day (outside of EMH) to see them. A more likely route is to build a completely dark enclosure with controlled daylight--make it bright at night and dark during the day, and the animals will equilibrate after a few days and be active during normal operating hours. They could manipulate the exact timing as needed.

This does work well. At my zoo, we have had this type of building for decades. People love seeing the bats flying, the leopard cats are more active, etc

wbt06

people keep saying to move the lion king show to africa but why ont to the rafikies planet watch.( i dont know how to spell that name). he is from lion king so it would work. ak does need a few more rides. but come on brother bear. not many kids even care about that movie. personaly i did not like it. i mean it is AK it is the one place other than epcot that has so many posibilitys for original consepts. i say the imaginers need to get off there buts and start thinking outside the box again and creat something really good. EE is a great ride but we need something that anyone can go on.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
For that genuine authentic feel , why not add to Africa some militia warfare, a bit of ethnic cleansing, a smidge of genocide and some nice wood carvings.

In Asia we could narrow the pathways to give that crowded feel, move the tommorowland speedway and allow cars to go in both directions, if you crash it was fate.

Build Australasia, make sure there plenty of beer barbies cricket and rugby, through in the odd marsupial and some deadly arachnids and staff the place with UK back packers.

RiversideBunny

Not everything can physically be in Africa even if it's normally connected with that continent.
Morocco is in Africa in the real world but at WDW it's located in EPCOT.

:)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is (a) desire to add attractions that could extend the park's open hours yet still keep the animal focus. Maybe not a night safari, but maybe a section of the park dedicated to nocturnal animals.
Sounds perfect for a dark ride to me... AA and/or real animals in a twilight environment. A killer D Ticket, a much needed family attraction, and an immersive, detailed indoor ride to boost park capacity further.

CaptainMichael

i say the imaginers need to get off there buts and start thinking outside the box again and creat something really good.

I don't think creativity is a problem. If we could go to Glendale right now, we'd probably get see some pretty amazing things that will never see the light of day.

The problem is:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Kman101

I'd like to see a cool climate area added, or a small aquatic area added. I think that would kid of complete the Animal Kingdom. A cool climate area might be a better idea than an Aquatic land.

speck76

I would like to see a third animal trek opened..... it would help redistribute the crowds, would not have a line, and would increase the species presented at the park.

MJMcBride

I'd like to see a cool climate area added, or a small aquatic area added. I think that would kid of complete the Animal Kingdom. A cool climate area might be a better idea than an Aquatic land.

They are sort of at an Aquatics Area with the Nemo show, add that Little Mermaid dark ride, a sea lion pool, and a Loch Ness thrill ride, and voila, Aquatics

basas

They are sort of at an Aquatics Area with the Nemo show, add that Little Mermaid dark ride, a sea lion pool, and a Loch Ness thrill ride, and voila, Aquatics

I'd like that too...make some sort of themed sea-side village and then a land dedicated to sea animals with a water coaster (something Disney has yet to attempt). It's starting to sound a lot like Sea World...but it could be very cool and really diversify the AK experience (it would be so different from the Asia/Africa/jungle theme). I think Camp Minnie-Mickey should go for a more North American approach...forestry type themeing with a few new rides (Western River Expedition or Geyser Mountain). Anyway...there are a lot of possibilities...

A Lion King attraction would be great! I totally agree, I mean it was such a great classic Disney movie and definitely deserves more than just the show at AK. I can't imagine what though...

Do you mean a Lion King attraction similiar to the one that use to be at the Magic Kingdom?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom