Next Attraction For DAK?

hrcollectibles

Bears are an underrepresented animal group at WDW.
There's one in the 100-acre wood and one in a big blue house.

More are needed.
AK needs bears.

Girzzlies
Kodiaks
Black
Panda (actually in the racoon family)

:) :)

Everytime I think about Panda's I think about that commercial a few years ago.. Where the guy is like you know what Panda Bears eat? They eat Bamboo

MJMcBride

DAK need 1 more good attraction IMO & it would be good for a few years. Now MGM needs about 5 new attraction. Man there is just not much to do there at all. yeah there are some shows but come on. it just seems like nothing blends together very well there like the rest of the parks. again just IMO

I agree that MGM and DAK could each use a new "land" like the Beastly Kingdomme, America or Australia for DAK and Broadway or Rodeo Drive for MGM

wherewhy

How bout a water themed ride similar to splash moutain but with the lion king themeing, tell the story throughout the ride, have two drops, one at the beginning with Mufasa and scar, one at the end with Simba and scar. End it with the Circle of life coronation... That would eat up some time and could be a great ride, they could shape it like a huge Pride rock.

wherewhy

AK already has a drencher of a water ride. MGM is the park that needs a water ride (and Maelstrom needs a bigger splash).
agreed, though kali is one of the most dissapointing rapids I've ever been on. Mgm would be great with an indiana jones themed water ride similar to universals Jurassic Park, four/five across, big spalsh!

imagineersrock

I'm pretty sure they could come up with a night safari, too, with a little innovation.
I guess you guys don't remember/might not be aware of... But they've actually done night safaris at DAK (Years ago.) Even funnier, they were pretty much exactly what someone suggested:

-reduced number of trucks
-Spotlights mounted on the trucks
-2 cast members... one drove, the other speiled and used the spotlight to highlight things.

From what I hear the animal show was terrible... basically no real animals to be seen. To compensate, it was an entirely different script including a tribal wedding (actors in the first elephant yard dancing around a fire) and some interaction with Ms. Jobson (an actress standing by a jeep "looking for lions" near the Kopjes area where you often spot the lions.) The Poachers scene was also a bit different (same overall theme but slightly different storyline, and if I'm not mistaken, again a few more actors involved.)

It definitely sounds interesting, I wish I could have ridden one when they did them. (It was a very short/limited test one Christmas season shortly after the park opened I believe...)

Rosso11

I guess you guys don't remember/might not be aware of... But they've actually done night safaris at DAK (Years ago.) Even funnier, they were pretty much exactly what someone suggested:

-reduced number of trucks
-Spotlights mounted on the trucks
-2 cast members... one drove, the other speiled and used the spotlight to highlight things.

From what I hear the animal show was terrible... basically no real animals to be seen. To compensate, it was an entirely different script including a tribal wedding (actors in the first elephant yard dancing around a fire) and some interaction with Ms. Jobson (an actress standing by a jeep "looking for lions" near the Kopjes area where you often spot the lions.) The Poachers scene was also a bit different (same overall theme but slightly different storyline, and if I'm not mistaken, again a few more actors involved.)

It definitely sounds interesting, I wish I could have ridden one when they did them. (It was a very short/limited test one Christmas season shortly after the park opened I believe...)

Wow I never knew that. I wish I got the chance to try it out. Maybe when they realized the park had no reason to stay open late they abandoned the idea. Now with the park turning into a full day park I hope they will revisit this.

ToTBellHop

that was sort of haphazardly put together back when they tried keeping AK open til midnight (with fireworks) for NYE. If it were going to be daily, they could try something else. Alternatively, just have the park have fluctuating hours like MGM, always closing shortly after dusk so they can have a nighttime show.

JML42691

that was sort of haphazardly put together back when they tried keeping AK open til midnight (with fireworks) for NYE. If it were going to be daily, they could try something else. Alternatively, just have the park have fluctuating hours like MGM, always closing shortly after dusk so they can have a nighttime show.
I never knew that they ever had fireworks out of animal kingdom on NYE. When was this and where did they launch them from. If they really did then did the animals react negativly to it (if you would know). Most of the people that say AK couldn't have fireworks have said it is because of the animals.

ToTBellHop

I never knew that they ever had fireworks out of animal kingdom on NYE. When was this and where did they launch them from. If they really did then did the animals react negativly to it (if you would know). Most of the people that say AK couldn't have fireworks have said it is because of the animals.
the animals are still there, aren't they? The fireworks were launched from the parking lot, and this was in AK's early years. Probably NYE 98/99. The argument that animals cannot handle fireworks is a faulty one. Many animals have very sensitive hearing. Try having a dog on the 4th of July--they can hear fireworks miles away (and, at least in my case, it terrifies them). The animals at AK can certainly hear IllumiNations and Wishes and they don't lose much hair over it. A thunderstorm in August is much scarier for them...

MJMcBride

the animals are still there, aren't they? The fireworks were launched from the parking lot, and this was in AK's early years. Probably NYE 98/99. The argument that animals cannot handle fireworks is a faulty one. Many animals have very sensitive hearing. Try having a dog on the 4th of July--they can hear fireworks miles away (and, at least in my case, it terrifies them). The animals at AK can certainly hear IllumiNations and Wishes and they don't lose much hair over it. A thunderstorm in August is much scarier for them...

They are used to Thunderstorms. A nightly fireworks at that park show could disrupt some behavior in some species.

imagineersrock

They are used to Thunderstorms. A nightly fireworks at that park show could disrupt some behavior in some species.
They've also become used to:
-Huge crowds walking through their exhibits all day
-Truck horns constantly beeping
-A train that goes by their barns blowing its loud whistle every 5 or so minutes
-Giant trucks driving by just inches from their face all day long

...Not to mention a wide variety of other noises and distractions that you'd be suprised to find carry from the other side of the park to the animal areas(from the "ding" sound effect on Primeval Whirl, to the loud screams every minute from Everest... both of these and more can be heard from Africa and many other places throughout the park.)

And on top of that, as was mentioned by ISTCNavigator57 Illuminations can be heard loud and clear nightly at 9:00pm. These animals are already used to significantly more than most animals... and I honestly don't think a nighttime show at DAK would effect them much, if at all.

Ituri13

That keeps getting debated in biology circles. Currently, they are listed as being closer to raccoons then bears. But if I'm not mistaken, they may be in their own family at this point.

Sorry for continuing the off-topic discussion, but according to the latest edition of the Mammal Species of the World list by Wilson. Giant pandas (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) are placed squarely in the family Ursidae (bears). Red pandas, are in their own family Ailuridae. But like anything taxonomical, it is always up for debate.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They absolutly can if they really wanted to. I just got back from S. Africa on safari and all they would really need was a spotlight for the animals. Its really pretty easy. Actually they might need an extra CM on the safari truck to work the spotlight while the driver drives. They could cut back the amount of trucks at night and have the extra CMs use the spotlights. This could make for a very different ride at night and would actually be a very exciting experience. I must say after going on the real thing in Africa I have to give Disney credit for doing such a great job on their safari.

They had exactly this back in 2000.
Here is a report I wrote for the site from http://www.wdwmagic.com/animal_archive1.htm

"
Janaury 6 2000: Kilimanamjaro Night Safaris
During the extended opening hours over Christmas, AK ran the awesome night safaris. New for this year, the safaris runs a different show starting at dusk. A whole new audio track accompanies the tour, with animal sounds appearing in the distance, comments from Wilson, an encounter with Miss Jobson, a local tribe wedding, and of course a chase with the poachers! Seeing the tour a night is a totally different experience. Some of the animals were resting in plain sight of the ride, and others, like the lions were more active than they are in the day! The savannah had no lighting, just the light rigs that were attached to each vehicle. The lighting was automated to vary light levels at different points, and the spotter (there were 2 CMs in each vehicle) could control one of the spot lights to highlight animals etc.
AK CMs have really made an effort with this show - they should definitely continue it as often as they can. Great job to any CMs reading!"

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

They certainly had parking lot fireworks at AK over the 99/2000 New Year Eve.

JML42691

The parking lot! And this was quite a few years ago, somewhere between 1998-2000 if I'm not mistaken...

People say lots of things. ;)

They certainly had parking lot fireworks at AK over the 99/2000 New Year Eve.
Thanks for all the responses, I have always thought that AK should have a night-time show (like I said earlier, maybe a BrotherBear theme) over the water on an island or something. It was just whenever I brought it up people were quick to say that the Animals would become easily scared.

kennygman

What about putting in an attraction based on a superhero rat family from the future who enjoy Nascar? :ROFLOL:

Seriously, I like AK. Love EE, Kali, Nemo (liked Tarzan), Lion King, Bug's Life, Dinosaur and Safari are all great attractions. Poco and birds are okay, not great but okay.

Get rid of 'carny land.' That just is NOT disney at all. Looks like a cheap roadside fair with choke and :hurl: rides. I like the previous poster's idea of South American theme. Or even fully developing the realistic looking Dino land. All the other areas including Minnie Mickey have a nice look that, but 'carny land' doesn't. Let's all say :wave: to 'carny land.'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom