News and observations from the past month

Skibum1970

Yes, really. Are you "really" back for more? I can't believe it. You clearly "thought" wrong, so just don't think. I didn't know Disney hired people to read these threads, so I just wanted to express my appreciation for Disney taking a stand and doing what's right. And, I really liked the insightful article, too.

All this politically correct crap needs to stop. Disney movies shows pretty princesses succeeding and the less attractive women getting nowhere. Same holds true with the men. They aren't showing ugly men succeeding (unless you count the Hunchback). Everything about this is so hypocritical. People need to stop looking for ways to be offended. It's an amusement ride. The scene was amusing. Women and men alike thought so. If this ride bothers us that much, Splash Mountain needs to be torn down. They "make fun" of the southern accent and it's based on a racist film. <gasp>

Let's just get over ourselves.

Siren

All this politically correct crap needs to stop. Disney movies shows pretty princesses succeeding and the less attractive women getting nowhere. Same holds true with the men. They aren't showing ugly men succeeding (unless you count the Hunchback). Everything about this is so hypocritical. People need to stop looking for ways to be offended. It's an amusement ride. The scene was amusing. Women and men alike thought so. If this ride bothers us that much, Splash Mountain needs to be torn down. They "make fun" of the southern accent and it's based on a racist film. <gasp>

Let's just get over ourselves.
You need to get over yourself and understand that I have every right in the world to applaud Disney for removing that scene. There was no reason for you to respond to me, you could have easily posted your opinion about this matter without quoting me. If you're upset about it, too bad. I'm not the reason the scene was removed! I support and appreciate Disney's decision 100%. I'm so happy they removed that awful scene.

And, I just love the Disney princesses, I think they're beautiful inside & out.

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, really. Are you "really" back for more? I can't believe it. You clearly "thought" wrong, so just don't think. I didn't know Disney hired people to read these threads, so I just wanted to express my appreciation for Disney taking a stand and doing what's right. And, I really liked the insightful article, too.
That just shows how little your really know.

As far as being back for more....more of what? Have you ever said anything to me before?

mergatroid

Whilst it doesn't bother me (quite the opposite), I'm surprised you're ok with Disney representing the princesses with really attractive women only. Do you not think this sends the signal out to young girls that there's a link to being attractive and being successful or a princess? It kind of links prettiness with being what represents being a female is wouldn't you say?

I'm lucky in that I can seperate things I see in movies or on rides as a bit of meaningless fun unless they've been included to deliberately offend people. But as somebody who agrees that that pirate scene should have been removed, I'm surprised you like pretty princesses?

unkadug

You need to get over yourself and understand that I have every right in the world to applaud Disney for removing that scene. There was no reason for you to respond to me, you could have easily posted your opinion about this matter without quoting me. If you're upset about it, too bad. I'm not the reason the scene was removed! I support and appreciate Disney's decision 100%. I'm so happy they removed that awful scene.

Speaking of getting "Over one's self"...have you ever had a Patty Melt?

MerlinTheGoat

Not all the princesses are the epitome of perfection inside as well as out. Ariel for example doesn't have much of a regard for the fate of her father, family or kingdom (and all the seas) when she's presented with a handsome guy to go gaga for (she knew Ursula was evil, and if she didn't then that makes her stupid on top of selfish and careless). She sacrifices all of this for her own selfish desires. And even though the villain was dealt with (no thanks to her as her boyfriend is the one that ended up killing the witch) she still didn't really show much remorse or comprehension for her mistakes. She is even rewarded for the trouble she caused. I hate to say this about a movie I love, but the character flaws are quite apparent in it. And this is one thing the movie could have done with more of- much greater consequences for her actions and have her feel more remorseful and attempt to fix her mistakes.

And Snow White, kind-hearted though she was, was portrayed (in all adaptations) as an incredibly dumb and easily fooled simpleton. A product of the era she was created in essentially, to be pretty and kind but dumb as a rock and basically a maid to everyone she lives with (which is better than being evil but still kind of insulting to the female gender). I will give the Disney version one point of credit though, they at least changed it so she was only tricked by the witch once instead of three times like the original book. She still was warned quite clearly by the dwarfs what would happen and she just fell right into the trap regardless of the adaptation.

If anything, portraying a female lead as this perfect kind hearted beauty queen like a beauty pageant does (but without much of a brain or free will) is immensely more harmful to the gender than anything from the original POTC. Same as portraying male protagonists similar to Gaston (sans the arrogant jerkiness of course because Gaston is a cool character for being a villainous satire of how many male characters were portrayed in other Disney movies).

If anything, Pirates of the Caribbean was pretty PC about the original scenes given their context and the way the pirates were portrayed. The fact is that Pirates acted like that in real life (far worse in fact). Sugar coating things by making them seem less evil is just ignoring history and further justifying their behavior as not-so-bad. And contrary to their portrayal in the films (which almost glorify such behavior), there was never any doubt that the ride wanted you to realize that such behavior is evil and they were cursed for all eternity even after death for acting in such a manner (the cave scenes where you see their decaying corpses is showing you that they were punished). Stark contrast to the movies as I stated above which end up portraying many of those characters as anti heroes or even outright heroes in some situations. The original ride was more interesting due to this complexity of characters and the consequences involved for their actions.

It would have been incredibly insensitive if the ride had portrayed the pirates as heroes and rewarded for their actions. But it didn't. I see no problem with showing evils in a park ride like this when it's quite obvious that such actions are to be condemned and come with damning consequences. If anything, it's more insulting that these elements were removed and pirates are now often romanticized by society as some sort of rebellious but still cool and not so bad people.

Last edited:

Siren

That just shows how little your really know.

As far as being back for more....more of what? Have you ever said anything to me before?
Oh no, you are back again and just as rude as ever! I don't know everything like you. I didn't know that and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I just read about it in another thread. This doesn't demonstrate "how little I know." Stop acting like an obnoxious know it all, you weren't born with that info.

And yes, I have said something in response to you before and you saw it -- which is why you made the comment above. Also, stop bringing up old stuff to hold over posters heads, it's lame -- no one is obligated to answer to you.

There is so much to talk about in this thread. Discuss that and stop trying to be this big bad bully. Don't you get tired of this little routine of yours? Give it a rest.

unkadug

Oh no, you are back again and just as rude as ever! I don't know everything like you. I didn't know that and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I just read about it in another thread. This doesn't demonstrate "how little I know." Stop acting like an obnoxious know it all, you weren't born with that info.

And yes, I have said something in response to you before and you saw it -- which is why you made the comment above. Also, stop bringing up old stuff to hold over posters heads, it's lame -- no one is obligated to answer to you.

There is so much to talk about in this thread. Discuss that and stop trying to be this big bad bully. Don't you get tired of this little routine of yours? Give it a rest.
Patty...I'm sure I have no idea what you are rambling on about.

Siren

Whilst it doesn't bother me (quite the opposite), I'm surprised you're ok with Disney representing the princesses with really attractive women only. Do you not think this sends the signal out to young girls that there's a link to being attractive and being successful or a princess? It kind of links prettiness with being what represents being a female is wouldn't you say?

I'm lucky in that I can seperate things I see in movies or on rides as a bit of meaningless fun unless they've been included to deliberately offend people. But as somebody who agrees that that pirate scene should have been removed, I'm surprised you like pretty princesses?
I don't understand this comment. Princesses are supposed to be beautiful and no one wants to look at an ugly princess. If Disney tried to promote an ugly princess, even ugly people would protest. I remember the outrage over Barbie when I was a little girl, which I never understood. But anyway, they came out with this fat sized or "average" sized doll with natural features, it was so ugly and no one wanted it. That's life.

I don't see how you can correlate creepy pirates chasing women with beautiful princesses. What do you think the pirates are chasing the women for?!? A day at the spa? Do you think the pirates want to take the women shopping and lace them with diamonds and pearls??? It's an awful scene and it doesn't add to the ride experience "for me" -- at all.

Siren

Speaking of getting "Over one's self"...have you ever had a Patty Melt?
I don't know what this means and I don't care. Whatever it is, just drop it.

Whoever told you that you were funny or remotely amusing lied to you. If you can't engage in civil discourse without being rude, then just don't.

Scuttle

Anyone notice My Disney Experience app isn't showing the Fastpass return times? I wonder if this means it's going live for everyone very very soon.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't understand this comment. Princesses are supposed to be beautiful and no one wants to look at an ugly princess. If Disney tried to promote an ugly princess, even ugly people would protest. I remember the outrage over Barbie when I was a little girl, which I never understood. But anyway, they came out with this fat sized or "average" sized doll with natural features, it was so ugly and no one wanted it. That's life.
And this comment just drives the point home in how marketable corporations consider pretty girls to be (and the damage that does to society). There's nothing wrong with being pretty, but there's also nothing wrong with being not so pretty either. The problem is that due to the marketing BS surrounding us and the glorification of external looks thanks to beauty pageant mentality, society is being conditioned to accept and embrace the notion that the prettier you are, the better you are (and the uglier you are, the lesser of a person you are). That's the damage this does to society. Far more than some pirate animatronics chasing women around in a ride whose plot makes it excruciatingly clear that such behavior is evil and if you do it, you'll be cursed to suffer for all eternity.

You know another well known Disney story that showed us somewhat similar scenes? Hunchback of Notre Dame, where Frollo lusts after Esmerelda and tries to force her into a relationship with him (setting Paris afire to try to get to her). And you know what happened to him? He was killed and the movie makes it crystal clear that he was going to suffer in hell for his crimes.

I think movie-goers would more than "forgive" (sad to use that word in such context) an ugly princess if they went the extra mile to make her an interesting character. I certainly would, it could be incredibly cool. And I don't mean interesting in the same way Snow White is. I mean give her an complex story and personality. If the movie was as good as Disney's renaissance-era films and before, I would definitely embrace it. It could be a very cool inverse of the Beast or Quasimodo.

Last edited:

Zweiland

Sorry, but why couldn't they quote you? It's a discussion; people are supposed to respond to each other. And sometimes, those people have differing opinions than your own. That's life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom