News and observations from the past month

NoChesterHester

We don't make it back to WDW as often as we used to. Now it is just every couple years. After listening to this board before my last trip I had worked into my head that Soarin' was this overrated experience of poor upkeep and dumb sheep all waiting hours in line for it.

And then we rode it again and I was reminded of how simple and awesome it is. We kept circling back over the trip just to do it again. Yes, there are some dust problems on the film, but it is still a grade-A experience and anyone that says otherwise is just looking to complain.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Ok... This will be posted in 2 other threads.....

I was able to finally link my Premier AP yesterday after a marathon phone session. The 1 hour and 21 minute phone call has yielded a correct "entitlement" in all systems. This means I was able to set up FastPassMinus times for my family vacation just nine days before arrival.

I am hoping that the "entitlements" travel to all 3 Magic Handcuffs I have been issued over the course of my 2 weeks of Disney "bliss". I will approach this trip with an open mind when it comes to MyMagicMinus as I have stated elsewhere. I will be sure to give honest feedback of this current "enhancement" to my vacation experience.

*1023*

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I was able to finally link my Premier AP yesterday after a marathon phone session. The 1 hour and 21 minute phone call has yielded a correct "entitlement" in all systems. This means I was able to set up FastPassMinus times for my family vacation just nine days before arrival.

I am hoping that the "entitlements" travel to all 3 Magic Handcuffs I have been issued over the course of my 2 weeks of Disney "bliss". I will approach this trip with an open mind when it comes to MyMagicMinus as I have stated elsewhere. I will be sure to give honest feedback of this current "enhancement" to my vacation experience.

*1023*
MyMagicMinus and open mind in the same sentence. That qualifies as an oxymoron. :)

Soarin' Over Pgh

*1023*

Why? What's the point in posting this same message in three different places?

Bairstow

I'm sitting in The Land rights now and the music loop just played the Waterworld theme song... Thought that was kinda weird. Anyone else notice this?

The entry plaza for MGM is even stranger in its use of non-Disney theme park properties, what with its playing Superman and James Bond music.

There are even reports that for special events when the studios are rented out for parties they play an alternate loop on Sunset Boulevard of movie themes that contains the themes to Jurassic Park and Harry Potter.

janoimagine

The entry plaza for MGM is even stranger in its use of non-Disney theme park properties, what with its playing Superman and James Bond music.

There are even reports that for special events when the studios are rented out for parties they play an alternate loop on Sunset Boulevard of movie themes that contains the themes to Jurassic Park and Harry Potter.

The Harry Potter Theme and Jurassic Park theme have been played on the MGM (Edit: Hollywood Studios) Busses for years now.

The Empress Lilly

Superman, James Bond and Potter are Hollywood. A Disneyfied representation of Hollywood in a park is the very essence of 'Disney'.

'Disney' is not synonymouse with 'filled with TWDC toon and celeb ip-franchises'. That makes a theme park less Disney, not more. For example, if an area themed after 1940's Hollywood would feature Buzz and Woody and a giant Donald sailor cap.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sitting in The Land rights now and the music loop just played the Waterworld theme song... Thought that was kinda weird. Anyone else notice this?

I'm afraid that it means that Disney has picked up another crappy property, Now we can have 'The Waterworld Experience' on Echo lake...

BLETCH!!!!!

Note for the literally minded this is SARCASM, At least I hope it is...

The Empress Lilly

Maybe not to your generation.
For younger people these things are far more appealing and brand-appropriate.
I do think Disney's audience has changed. I'm not sure most of that is generational.

To some demographic segments the sight of a celebrity AA is the height of cultural sophistication. To others, an antique shop in a New Orleans area is. Sadly, the first have outshouted the latter. And perhaps outspend too, only the first group will spend $200 on bottled water and $400 each on snacks per day. So celebs and toons it is, and away with intricate theming and unique theatrical experiences!

Walt's Disneyland:
2K_OneOfAKindShop.jpg

Cosmic Commando

Superman, James Bond and Potter are Hollywood. A Disneyfied representation of Hollywood in a park is the very essence of 'Disney'.

'Disney' is not synonymouse with 'filled with TWDC toon and celeb ip-franchises'. That makes a theme park less Disney, not more. For example, if an area themed after 1940's Hollywood would feature Buzz and Woody and a giant Donald sailor cap.
I appreciate hearing the different movie scores, but you have to admit it's a little weird to have the very famous JP and HP music playing when the competitor down the road has major sections of their park (soon to be parks) dedicated to those properties.

The Empress Lilly

I appreciate hearing the different movie scores, but you have to admit it's a little weird to have the very famous JP and HP music playing when the competitor down the road has major sections of their park (soon to be parks) dedicated to those properties.
I can see why. But to me it doesn't feel that way. DHS is about Hollywood to me. I think about Jurassic music in WDW the same as I think about the Chinese Theater in WDW. Both are Disneyfied representations of Hollywood productions. The Disnification makes it Disney, not the ownership of the intellectual property. I also don't think it weird that WS France has an Eiffel Tower instead of the Aristocats mansion.

The Eiffel Tower, the Chines Thetaer, and Jurassic Park/Potter/Superman are cultural icons, they have many different representations. The Disney representation feels entirely original to me.

Cosmic Commando

I can see why. But to me it doesn't feel that way. DHS is about Hollywood to me. I think about Jurassic music in WDW the same as I think about the Chinese Theater in WDW. Both are Disneyfied representations of Hollywood productions. The Disnification makes it Disney, not the ownership of the intellectual property. I also don't think it weird that WS France has an Eiffel Tower instead of the Aristocats mansion.

The Eiffel Tower, the Chines Thetaer, and Jurassic Park/Potter/Superman are cultural icons, they have many different representations. The Disney representation feels entirely original to me.
Superman, Titanic, The Magnificent Seven, James Bond, The Great Escape, Lord of the Rings (for now, at least), Gone with the Wind, How the West was Won, etc. I have no problem with. I actually really like them on Hollywood Blvd. When I hear great themes like those, it makes me think about Hollywood and movie-making magic. When I hear Harry Potter music and Jurassic Park music now, part of me thinks about the theme park lands.

I think the Jurassic Park music is some of the greatest movie music ever written, but it's too tainted to play in DHS... like a gift that an ex-girlfriend gave you.

RSoxNo1

*1023*
Were you able to set up reservations without staying on site?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom