News and observations from the past month

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
After three weeks in Orlando and meeting a lot of good friends old and new, I've returned with plenty of bits n pieces for anyone so inclined to read. I'll keep it current so not have it relegated to trip reporting, will post things as I saw them, and keep in mind anything proposed is where things stand as of now. I also apologise for whats been covered already.

The MK Monorail station was testing a new park closing boarding system. As well as the usual express ramp with switchbacks at the bottom plaza, they were entering guests up one side of the exit ramp and had switchbacks on the unload platform too. One end of the trains loaded as usual, the other end from the centre platform. A bit chaotic and surely to cram more people into waiting lines as posed to have them stood outside the turnstiles since train capacity is the same.

Main Sts. new curbing plan has ground to a halt. It seems due to unforeseen construction issues the kerbs may mostly be left intact after all.

The hubs redesign and additional paving / pathways plan is moving forward. Survey markers litter the flower beds and lawns in the NW corner.

The JC project continues forward. Don't expect anything new. This is purely a full on refurb with the canal drained and all AAs removed for an overhaul.

Pirates.... dear oh dear. Starting outside the insistence that FP+ has one of the two queues means standby (really. On PotC. Standby) frequently fills the exterior switchbacks, new interior switchbacks and the entire queue area whilst the other side is empty save for maybe a dozen guests at merge. Welcome to the future. The attraction itself... AAs that dont sing, a mist projection that is beyond a joke now its so unclear, LED uplighting thats plain to see, mermaids that aren't, and the new fleet of boats that continue to fill with water, leading to cascades at unload as CMs have to mop each boat before sending them up to load. Anyone say holey new boat fleet?

Strollers are becoming a real eyesore in the park. Overflowing stroller parks... outside the CP, Tiki room, HoP and all over fantasyland in particular. Seriously when I was a lad...

Tiki room - playing to at least half full crowds consistently. Figures and figures arms continue to be removed and replaced. One set of birds was static... the following day they were working. Kudos to 3rd shift.

Splash Mountain.... excellent. It looked great again. One or two AAs missing for I presume work, no fountain jets in front of the boat path, and the final lift audio needs fixing (no music after vultures) but it shows what still can be done.

BTM... how hard is it to create an earthquake effect? The show scene has lost all its impact now. Use light and shadow effects to suggest the rocks are moving back and forth. Project a decent image at the top of the lift instead of the fuzzy bee swarm. And get the lanterns shaking again. Two of the rainbow pools were finally working (yay) but bathtub man and his tub was MIA.

The HM.... still good, saw the B mode finale mirror where the ghosts just float above the doom buggies on white screens. How long has the final vulture in the graveyard been missing for? But outside... the queue is a mess. No switchbacks under the canopy means herds of guests are forced to squeeze up en mass, leading to pushing, shoving and line jumping. A disaster waiting to happen.

Tangled toilets look nice from outside. Iasw seriously needs a facade to match now. Speaking of iasw... the ceiling. Not only are all the lighting grates clearly visible, the work lights were all switched on giving a great view in each room of the entire roof support, AC piping, catwalks, everything.

The mine train is still coming next year (the butt of many jokes from locals) the the expansion area looks nice still.

Tomorrowland.... needs help. The TTA is filthy, still silent in Space Mountain, and still has nothing to see whatsoever inside the gravity building. Space Mountain itself is still flawed by the butchered refurb, the music is mostly inaudible, and quite a few star projectors were either jammed or failed. For 3 weeks. The CoP played to half full theatres on all our visits, but the eyesore stage outside had its PA so loud that scenes 3 and 4 were ruined by cheesy pop music from outside. Complaining to a manager seems to have fixed it there and then but for how long? Simply awful. It totally ruins the ambiance and atmosphere of the land. The Buzz A100 in the queue is still MIA too.

MNSSHP... cheaper. No treat trail decor. Less Main St lighting. Not as atmospheric as previous years overall.

Beholder

After three weeks in Orlando and meeting a lot of good friends old and new, I've returned with plenty of bits n pieces for anyone so inclined to read. I'll keep it current so not have it relegated to trip reporting, will post things as I saw them, and keep in mind anything proposed is where things stand as of now. I also apologise for whats been covered already.

The MK Monorail station was testing a new park closing boarding system. As well as the usual express ramp with switchbacks at the bottom plaza, they were entering guests up one side of the exit ramp and had switchbacks on the unload platform too. One end of the trains loaded as usual, the other end from the centre platform. A bit chaotic and surely to cram more people into waiting lines as posed to have them stood outside the turnstiles since train capacity is the same.

Main Sts. new curbing plan has ground to a halt. It seems due to unforeseen construction issues the kerbs may mostly be left intact after all.

The hubs redesign and additional paving / pathways plan is moving forward. Survey markers litter the flower beds and lawns in the NW corner.

The JC project continues forward. Don't expect anything new. This is purely a full on refurb with the canal drained and all AAs removed for an overhaul.

Pirates.... dear oh dear. Starting outside the insistence that FP+ has one of the two queues means standby (really. On PotC. Standby) frequently fills the exterior switchbacks, new interior switchbacks and the entire queue area whilst the other side is empty save for maybe a dozen guests at merge. Welcome to the future. The attraction itself... AAs that dont sing, a mist projection that is beyond a joke now its so unclear, LED uplighting thats plain to see, mermaids that aren't, and the new fleet of boats that continue to fill with water, leading to cascades at unload as CMs have to mop each boat before sending them up to load. Anyone say holey new boat fleet?

Strollers are becoming a real eyesore in the park. Overflowing stroller parks... outside the CP, Tiki room, HoP and all over fantasyland in particular. Seriously when I was a lad...

Tiki room - playing to at least half full crowds consistently. Figures and figures arms continue to be removed and replaced. One set of birds was static... the following day they were working. Kudos to 3rd shift.

Splash Mountain.... excellent. It looked great again. One or two AAs missing for I presume work, no fountain jets in front of the boat path, and the final lift audio needs fixing (no music after vultures) but it shows what still can be done.

BTM... how hard is it to create an earthquake effect? The show scene has lost all its impact now. Use light and shadow effects to suggest the rocks are moving back and forth. Project a decent image at the top of the lift instead of the fuzzy bee swarm. And get the lanterns shaking again. Two of the rainbow pools were finally working (yay) but bathtub man and his tub was MIA.

The HM.... still good, saw the B mode finale mirror where the ghosts just float above the doom buggies on white screens. How long has the final vulture in the graveyard been missing for? But outside... the queue is a mess. No switchbacks under the canopy means herds of guests are forced to squeeze up en mass, leading to pushing, shoving and line jumping. A disaster waiting to happen.

Tangled toilets look nice from outside. Iasw seriously needs a facade to match now. Speaking of iasw... the ceiling. Not only are all the lighting grates clearly visible, the work lights were all switched on giving a great view in each room of the entire roof support, AC piping, catwalks, everything.

The mine train is still coming next year (the butt of many jokes from locals) the the expansion area looks nice still.

Tomorrowland.... needs help. The TTA is filthy, still silent in Space Mountain, and still has nothing to see whatsoever inside the gravity building. Space Mountain itself is still flawed by the butchered refurb, the music is mostly inaudible, and quite a few star projectors were either jammed or failed. For 3 weeks. The CoP played to half full theatres on all our visits, but the eyesore stage outside had its PA so loud that scenes 3 and 4 were ruined by cheesy pop music from outside. Complaining to a manager seems to have fixed it there and then but for how long? Simply awful. It totally ruins the ambiance and atmosphere of the land. The Buzz A100 in the queue is still MIA too.

MNSSHP... cheaper. No treat trail decor. Less Main St lighting. Not as atmospheric as previous years overall.

Thanks for the first hand info! Sounds mostly on the sad side. May be awhile before I can get back to the world, but maybe, for now, that's for the best.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Onto Epcot... painful. Stale. Empty. This park (at least the first half) is in real danger of becoming the biggest problem in WDW.

Energy is dated and unloved. Old scratched films. No smoke or mist anywhere in the diorama. Lava not flowing. AAs with minimal movement. And theatre three had a piece of decor hanging over projector one, creating a large black square on the screen. The CMs knew about it apparently. Whoop. Word is the building and ride system are staying thankfully. Its just the theme and topic that needs an overhaul.

Life.... still a blot. Dirty. Half hidden. All simulators are indeed gone. Cranium theatres are still mostly intact. Such a waste. A real we don't care message.

Test Track... nice idea. The pre show however just slows down the line too much. Fastpass delays standby even more. Wait times don't tally. Total uncontrolled chaos and guests who don't understand two or three to each circle. The ride itself however had all effects working each time we rode, and the design followed us consistantly from design to postshow.

Imagination is a tragedy now. Broken ride control system with noisy drive motors that trigger too soon. Bumpy track. Broken first Figment. No wait. Desolate imageworks. Desolate much like Innoventions west. IBMs new area was a distraction, but beyond that are years old displays and a huge empty area with PC video games as a vain attempt to put something in the space. The 25th museum / Segway room is still unused. The new character spot still intrudes on what used to be exhibit and eating space, also limiting access into the building for those not looking for a photo. Speaking of eating space, Starbucks needs somewhere to sit and drink. A few tables exposed to the outside elements aren't enough. But do check out the Communicore logo on the back of the sign at the bottom of the ramp.

The fountain needs TLC again. Whole sections of jets are not working, neither is the mee fog. One air jet constantly shoots spurts of water during each show. The show PA is still inaudible around the pin station area. But at least the speakers above the breezeways have grass and weeds growing out of them now.

Soarin'.... still dirty. Very. The whole screen is looking shabby now too with the backstage framework structure visible on lighter scenes.

Maelstrom looked great. Fixed show lighting. Audiable dialogue. Wave machines and fog that have returned after countless years. It just needs a bit of fog to return here and there. And yes, the outside waterfall is still working :)

ROE isn't going anywhere but is looking to plus certain areas. Right now however the infrastructure is crying out for investment as soon as possible. Things are getting very old and well beyond life expectancy. Unless the show gets major TLC there will be more and more issues, some minor and some very major. During last week the lasers (all of them) looked to be even dimmer than usual. Canadas also had mirror issues, with the fan effect constantly failing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
DHS... eeek. At least its getting quite a lot of love. And not too soon. Like Futurworld it has pockets of popularity and hits amidst a sea of mediocrity and make-do.

See Indy whilst you still can. Same with Idol.

Muppetvision was in excellent shape. Even the burning rubber smoke effect worked.

The GMR pre show film is probably beyond repair and needs a new roll now. The ride itself still shows so muh promise if only key AAs would be reanimated (some were I know) and effects updated. Alien in particular is almost laughable now. The gangster car had issues on and off all trip.

The streets and LMA area area almost ghetto like now.

Tower still has audio issues and probably always will. New LED spotlights are added either side of the onride camera, dazzling everyone as the doors open and looking totally out of place. They also illuminate the exterior too much at night. But at least you will be able to part with even more money to buy the onride video. At least one AGV has a camera above row three.

Villains Night... nice idea but implemented so badly. Choose the smallest park with worst access and egress. Have a well advertised free party. Have 44000 people descend on a park that can hold around 46000 and then close 1/3 of it off for fireworks. For those lucky enough to be inside it was chaos but fun. So long as you didn't want to meet n greet. For those outside, tough. Two hours sat in traffic on a gridlocked Osceola. Park at Epcot and walk. Park at Caribbean Beach and walk. I have friends who had to do all three. The fireworks show however was truly awesome. Entertainment and frontline CMs definitely saved ops that night.

And DAK. Poor DAK. A safari that as impressive visually as it is now has no story or theme. Maybe it never needed one. Kali with hardly any effects anymore. Everest as expected. But Dinosaur... what a pleasant surprise. Nice show lighting. Plenty of mist. All AAs that moved as much as expected. Lasers that whilst being out of sync with the ride do add to the story. And Carno on a stick to boot.

Dare I comment on that other place up I-4? Briefly, yes. Get ready. They've only just started. Transformers is excellent. Great theming, line, ride and story with a non stop, hectic feeling. And the LN2 works again ;)

The new Forbidden Journey profile is an improvement. Just tamed down enough to take the edge off whilst still feeling how it used to. The new projectors are far clearer if a little too bright. New show scene lighting is excellent.

This is the wrong thread for details, but 5-6 E tickets (that I know of) coming to both parks over the next few years, multi million dollar refurbs on what needs it, expansion and rebuilds, new entertainment plans, plus the water park, more resorts and a transit system to link it all Comcast are unbelievably serious about attracting guests. And at a billion per year, each year, just for the parks alone, they deserve it. Think what just one billion could buy. Or two.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The MK Monorail station was testing a new park closing boarding system

Pirates.... dear oh dear.

1 - yikes! Especially to a claustrophobic person
2 - :( I love my POTC and messing with the queue is unfortunate as well as the non-working/poorly working effects
3 - Ugh...strollers...don't get me started. My parents went to WDW this spring and mentioned the sea of ginormous strollers too.
4 - unfortunate. MNSSHP is my favorite hard-ticket even...too bad they're "cheapening" it

Vader2112

Agreed I was there on 9/20 It seems that not only the decor of the treat trails but the absense of some as well. They always had one set up on the ramps for COP. It was gone this year. One interesting treat sdtop that was not marked was by Gaston's Tavern. Where Gaston himnself was handing out huge handfulls of candy. Was it me or was the Ghost Host presence and erie organ music cut back from the park audio?

david10225

This is very depressing. I wish that someone with influence could read that list and perhaps address some of those issues. I was most depressed about my favorite park EPCOT. I am glad that just last night, even though the tickets are costing me twice as much, I bought airline tickets to LAX instead of Orlando for Christmas.

JimboJones123

The Test Track chaos after the design room is about as dissatisfactory as anything on site. There is literally no way to experience the attraction in under 25 minutes. Even if it were "walk on". The original was never a zip on, but the preshow take 3-5x longer than it did before. Single rider is pretty much the only way to experience this without it putting a dent into your day. Heck, Fastpass can take almost an hour to experience it now. That's just insane.

I have yet to experience something at Disney that makes so many angry guests.

End up on the first row's last spot, gain an extra 10+ minutes in wait time???

Pirates queue is equally insane. Switchbacks outside constantly?

HM line outside the gate... Always???

Next Gen queueing sucks hardcore. Lines that were never more than 10 minutes are becoming 20+ minutes regularly.

JimboJones123

Agreed I was there on 9/20 It seems that not only the decor of the treat trails but the absense of some as well. They always had one set up on the ramps for COP. It was gone this year. One interesting treat sdtop that was not marked was by Gaston's Tavern. Where Gaston himnself was handing out huge handfulls of candy. Was it me or was the Ghost Host presence and erie organ music cut back from the park audio?
How hard is it to theme the walkway behinf the racers with 15 Alice cutouts?

2-3 hours of labor setup?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
DHS... eeek. At least its getting quite a lot of love. And not too soon.

See Indy whilst you still can. Same with Idol.

Villains Night... Entertainment and frontline CMs definitely saved ops that night.

I'm glad MGM is getting some much-needed love..and I agree none-too-soon. I could care less about Idol going away but Indy will make me :(

I heard what a nightmare Villains night was if you weren't already inside the park. I saw the fireworks on livestream and had goosebumps - by far the best fireworks show I've ever seen. And a big YAY for CMs for being awesome!!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Dare I comment on that other place up I-4? Briefly, yes. Get ready. They've only just started.

This is the wrong thread for details, but 5-6 E tickets (that I know of) coming to both parks over the next few years, multi million dollar refurbs on what needs it, expansion and rebuilds, new entertainment plans, plus the water park, more resorts and a transit system to link it all Comcast are unbelievably serious about attracting guests. And at a billion per year, each year, just for the parks alone, they deserve it. Think what just one billion could buy. Or two.

5-6 e-tickets at Uni?? I can't wait. I'm sorry Disney, but I'm more excited to see what's new at Uni when I go next year than WDW.

CDavid

Onto Epcot... painful. Stale. Empty. This park (at least the first half) is in real danger of becoming the biggest problem in WDW.

How utterly pitiful is it when Future World only gets a pass because AK and the studios are in so much worse shape. The difference is this is the same Epcot Center which was a wonder to behold back in the early 80's, while the other two parks have always been left wanting. It's just sad.

Really don't mind Indy going away, mostly because it's been there so very long. Would it really be that hard (or expensive) to change a stunt show once in a while?

And at a billion per year, each year, just for the parks alone, they deserve it. Think what just one billion could buy. Or two.

Before anyone tries to argue that Disney is also investing similar amounts in the parks, I would like to point out that Mouse Arrest bracelets are not what attract guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom