New Year's Eve Announcement?

71jason

Putting aside how big a deal this is to people who DON'T read Disney web boards, this thread does illustrate a problem TWDC dug for themselves years ago that is now coming back to haunt them. When you offer deep discounts for years (at the level of, say, essentially 50% off rack rate), guests come to expect that. They become so conditioned to discounts that they won't pay full rate, or even a more modestly discounted rate. I believe someone on the boards had a term for this, "Wal-Marting"?

captainkidd

I am with the majority of the people here. I fully expected the 24 hour announcement but never thought that would be the biggest announcement. Who can plan a trip in just 30 days to take advantage of this offer? I knew they would do a promotion with room and park involved but this one is very weak. Poor job by their marketing department.

I've been saying this for years now. All these "promos" seem to be last ditch efforts at gaining some extra revenue at the last minute. They seem to not understand that airfare is ridiculously expensive.

JustInTime

People really need to get over themselves and stop thinking Disney owes them something. It's your fault for building the special announcement up in your head to something more than it was when everyone knew what the announcement was weeks ago. Seriously. Stop complaining.

bhg469

People really need to get over themselves and stop thinking Disney owes them something. It's your fault for building the special announcement up in your head to something more than it was when everyone knew what the announcement was weeks ago. Seriously. Stop complaining.

Buy you're missing the point. This is not a "something big" announcement. No one here built it up by saying that. Disney built it up when it really is a minor announcement. Who knows if the 24 hours is even in the regular park ticket. People may even have to pay another 50 on top of admission for this.

JustInTime

Buy you're missing the point. This is not a "something big" announcement. No one here built it up by saying that. Disney built it up when it really is a minor announcement. Who knows if the 24 hours is even in the regular park ticket. People may even have to pay another 50 on top of admission for this.

I think it's a big deal because it's never been open 24 hours in 40 years. Kinda a milestone. But I am not saying that the marketing wasn't off, it was. All I am saying, we knew the announcement weeks ago. So why is everyone so shocked now? Why get bent out of shape over something we new over a month ago?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
After the disgrace of the Christmas Day parade and now this, Charles Ridgway must be spinning on his pension plan...

Captain Chaos

I have said it before and will continue to say it, the Disney fanboy are their own worst enemy... But Disney is at fault here... They hyped this up as a MAJOR announcement.. They hyped this up as BIG... Of course, majority of us have come to learn that when Disney says they have a major announcement planned, they will not deliver and will disappoint... Their biggest announcement, Avatar, wasn't a planned press release from what I can remember... Their planned media released have been duds...

As far as Disney not owing us anything, I don't entirely agree... They are a company that lives and dies on consumers.. If they are providing us entertainment, a vacation destination, and products for us to buy as consumers, they DO owe us something... They owe us a GOOD product... They owe us FUN and EXCITING entertainment... If their attitude is, EH WE DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING, then WDW will become stale (and many parts of it are), they won't give us anything new... They may not owe us a major announcement every day month or year, and they may not owe us a new ride or attraction every year, they they sure do owe us a superior product if they expect us to spend our money on their offerings...

JustInTime

I have said it before and will continue to say it, the Disney fanboy are their own worst enemy... But Disney is at fault here... They hyped this up as a MAJOR announcement.. They hyped this up as BIG... Of course, majority of us have come to learn that when Disney says they have a major announcement planned, they will not deliver and will disappoint... Their biggest announcement, Avatar, wasn't a planned press release from what I can remember... Their planned media released have been duds...

As far as Disney not owing us anything, I don't entirely agree... They are a company that lives and dies on consumers.. If they are providing us entertainment, a vacation destination, and products for us to buy as consumers, they DO owe us something... They owe us a GOOD product... They owe us FUN and EXCITING entertainment... If their attitude is, EH WE DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING, then WDW will become stale (and many parts of it are), they won't give us anything new... They may not owe us a major announcement every day month or year, and they may not owe us a new ride or attraction every year, they they sure do owe us a superior product if they expect us to spend our money on their offerings...

I was more referring to the "Disney-owes-me-someting-attidue" rather than if they actually owe us anything. I still think people should have been upset about this weeks ago. But it's comical to see the melt-downs in this thread. Like a scorned mother at Guest Relations...hell hath no fury. :rolleyes:

Captain Chaos

I think it's a big deal because it's never been open 24 hours in 40 years. Kinda a milestone. But I am not saying that the marketing wasn't off, it was. All I am saying, we knew the announcement weeks ago. So why is everyone so shocked now? Why get bent out of shape over something we new over a month ago?

it really isn't that big of a deal. How many times are the parks open at 8:00AM and closed at 3:00AM on extra magic hours during the summer.. That is really only 5 hours less than a full 24 hour day, so those extra 5 hours YIPPPEEEE...

We knew it weeks ago yes... It was flat then... Their MAJOR announcement fell flat last night, or this morning depending on your time zone... No one is bent out of shape except those who refuse to ever believe Disney can never disappoint.. Then Disney does disappoint, and those people are crushed... Most of us have learned to temper our expectations with Disney.... However, there are still others who refuse to accept that Disney can disappoint... This is a marketing FAIL and epic marketing FAIL, and Disney seems to be the leader lately in marketing failures between the pathetic excuse for a Christmas Day Parade (where they couldn't even get the right Fantasland Reclamation Land Project right) to hyping a MAJOR announcement, and falling flat on their face again with something lackluster...

Captain Chaos

I was more referring to the "Disney-owes-me-someting-attidue" rather than if they actually owe us anything. I still think people should have been upset about this weeks ago. But it's comical to see the melt-downs in this thread. Like a scorned mother at Guest Relations...hell hath no fury. :rolleyes:

OK so you are referring to the selfish attitude some online fanboys have toward Disney.. OK then I agree... I laugh when these people bash Disney cause they didn't get what they want... Disney owes their consumers (the majority) something, they don't owe foaming at the mouth fanboys (the minority) something... So we agree on that...

Thanks for clarifying.. :)

JustInTime

it really isn't that big of a deal. How many times are the parks open at 8:00AM and closed at 3:00AM on extra magic hours during the summer.. That is really only 5 hours less than a full 24 hour day, so those extra 5 hours YIPPPEEEE...

We knew it weeks ago yes... It was flat then... Their MAJOR announcement fell flat last night, or this morning depending on your time zone... No one is bent out of shape except those who refuse to ever believe Disney can never disappoint.. Then Disney does disappoint, and those people are crushed... Most of us have learned to temper our expectations with Disney.... However, there are still others who refuse to accept that Disney can disappoint... This is a marketing FAIL and epic marketing FAIL, and Disney seems to be the leader lately in marketing failures between the pathetic excuse for a Christmas Day Parade (where they couldn't even get the right Fantasland Reclamation Land Project right) to hyping a MAJOR announcement, and falling flat on their face again with something lackluster...

Well, that's only 2 "fails". They also proved the fan base wrong with the MM&Y. And if you don't care for what is being built, you still can't deny we have been getting awesome announcements. Starting with FLE and Avatar. Not even mentioning the awesome west coast announcements. Oh, and I like how everyone is upset over the Christmas Parade...now. It was was same last year...and the year before that and so on. So really, that leaves only one "fail" this year and that is the NYE announcement. I still think people in general are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The announcement was and still is just whatever for me.

JustInTime

OK so you are referring to the selfish attitude some online fanboys have toward Disney.. OK then I agree... I laugh when these people bash Disney cause they didn't get what they want... Disney owes their consumers (the majority) something, they don't owe foaming at the mouth fanboys (the minority) something... So we agree on that...

Thanks for clarifying.. :)

LOL! Yes! I was just reading through this thread. People are upset like little girls.

Captain Chaos

Well, that's only 2 "fails". They also proved the fan base wrong with the MM&Y. And if you don't care for what is being built, you still can't deny we have been getting awesome announcements. Starting with FLE and Avatar. Not even mentioning the awesome west coast announcements. Oh, and I like how everyone is upset over the Christmas Parade...now. It was was same last year...and the year before that and so on. So really, that leaves only one "fail" this year and that is the NYE announcement. I still think people in general are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The announcement was and still is just whatever for me.

Avatar was their only major announcement lately.. D23 was a bomb... The Christmas parade was actually worse this year than last year, and has declined steadily the last few years... Last night's announcement was a fail... How quickly the online community forgets.. And let us not forget the plans for Hyperion Wharf being announced... Another fail.. And I'm sure there are more fails that I am forgetting since their announcements have been less than memorable...

bullsforthewin

Avatar was their only major announcement lately.. D23 was a bomb... The Christmas parade was actually worse this year than last year, and has declined steadily the last few years... Last night's announcement was a fail... How quickly the online community forgets.. And let us not forget the plans for Hyperion Wharf being announced... Another fail.. And I'm sure there are more fails that I am forgetting since their announcements have been less than memorable...

How was d23 a bomb?

Captain Chaos

I mean what were people expecting, a fifth theme park? I mean come on.... remember the other big announcement of the year of memories or something...

Not sure how many other boards you read, but check some out... Some people actually WERE thinking Disney was announcing a new ride, details about Avatar, additional plans for Fantasyland, a new theme park... The list goes on... And when someone tried to post that the announcement was exactly what we got, they were largely ignored... So again, the online Disney fanboy is their own worst enemy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom