New Year's Eve Announcement?

Lee

Adventurer
"Purchase a non-discounted 3-night, 3-day Magic Your Way package at select Disney Resort hotels for arrivals most nights February 26 to March 10, 2012 and get One More Disney Day and night for free. Book through January 31, 2012."
Anybody wanna run the numbers on that?
Paying full price for three nights vs. four nights at the "normal" discount rate.

And adding a fourth day to a base MYW ticket.

Can't be all that much savings, really....:shrug:

EDIT:
I did it. (Party of 2)
Three nights at full price that week: $540 + $464 for 3 day MYW tickets = $1004.
Four discounted nights (30% off): $500 + $486 for 4 day MYW tickets = $986.

Looks to me like the new deal would actually cost more....
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

boufa

Fire the pr people..umm no. If they spent money on any of the things that you all wanted, then they should be fired. Insiders, passionate fans, etc are nearly meaningless to Disney financially. However anyone who has ever been to Disney can relate to being open 24 hrs. You people are always disappointed because your desires amd expectations are on another planet. It is like being disapointed I'm bacon because pigs still don't fly..but you keep hoping..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Fire the pr people..umm no. If they spent money on any of the things that you all wanted, then they should be fired. Insiders, passionate fans, etc are nearly meaningless to Disney financially. However anyone who has ever been to Disney can relate to being open 24 hrs. You people are always disappointed because your desires amd expectations are on another planet. It is like being disapointed I'm bacon because pigs still don't fly..but you keep hoping..

I'm so glad you know exactly what every person who's hammering Disney on this is thinking... My expectations were nearly zero, and the announcement was still disappointing.

I've been to WDW plenty of times, but I'm not relating to being open 24 hours on 2/29. What am I missing?

javy2004

its kinda cool that they are doing it... not major announcement cool, but cool. i just wonder what the next push in promotions will be after the end of february. the sweepstakes is pretty cool, and the 4th free day is pretty cool. i was sort of bothered that they showed the matterhorn throughout that 2-29-12 ad, yet it will be down for refurb... am i right?

AEfx

from: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/one-more-disney-day/

For the first time ever, both Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom Park will be open for 24 hours of wonder, imagination and magic starting February 29 at 6:00 a.m.

edit: misunderstood your post, must be tired.

Thank you for posting that - I was wondering how the logistics would work.

[/B]

I hear you! It's B/S. We passholders spend 4,5 or even 10 times more annually than once a year visitors or once every two years do. I really thought WDW wanted to get from that 70/30 mark to the 50/50 mark(meaning visitors coming within and outside of 250 miles), but this isn't the way to do it treating passholders with these horrible discounts.

But here's the thing (and I'm a passholder, too) - promotions are meant to bring people who might not normally come, or to entice those on the fence.

We are already drinkers of the Kool-aid, so it makes little sense for them to court us with promotions as we already spend far more than the average guest (as you said). Sure, we spend more with promotions (last time I was there I spent 3x more than I usually do on "stuff" because of the merch discount), but overall, we already are addicted to the Disney-crack, so it doesn't make sense for them to be all splashy for us. It's also why DVC almost always gets ignored anyway - you just pledged to come visit for the next 50 years, they've got you booked already, so marketing isn't going to focus on people who are booked to come to WDW for the next half-century.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

There is some precedent...

I know that Tokyo Disneyland has been open for over 24 hours for New Year's and back in the 80's, Disneyland was open for Star Tours for well over 24 hours IIRC

Captain Chaos

The fact that there was no announcement bothers me more. I'm totally looking at this from a business failure than an inadequate promotion. Be interesting to see which response I get from the email I sent.

That's true it failed in every aspect.

Exactly, all this hype i was hearing about this announcement, while only knowing it would turn out to be complete ________________.

It's embarrassing.

And apparently they have learned NOTHING from the D23 embarrassment...

Oh, just wait...there will be Disney bloggers and sites that will try to convince you how amazing it is.:rolleyes:

***coughcough LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU coughcough***

Anybody wanna run the numbers on that?
Paying full price for three nights vs. four nights at the "normal" discount rate.

And adding a fourth day to a base MYW ticket.

Can't be all that much savings, really....:shrug:

EDIT:
I did it. (Party of 2)
Three nights at full price that week: $540 + $464 for 3 day MYW tickets = $1004.
Four discounted nights (30% off): $500 + $486 for 4 day MYW tickets = $986.

Looks to me like the new deal would actually cost more....
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Actually Lee I think you are correct as I too have come up with this new Disney deal being more expensive.... Had to be a bean counter and not a marketing person who came up with this brilliant idea...

But here's the thing (and I'm a passholder, too) - promotions are meant to bring people who might not normally come, or to entice those on the fence.

We are already drinkers of the Kool-aid, so it makes little sense for them to court us with promotions as we already spend far more than the average guest (as you said). Sure, we spend more with promotions (last time I was there I spent 3x more than I usually do on "stuff" because of the merch discount), but overall, we already are addicted to the Disney-crack, so it doesn't make sense for them to be all splashy for us. It's also why DVC almost always gets ignored anyway - you just pledged to come visit for the next 50 years, they've got you booked already, so marketing isn't going to focus on people who are booked to come to WDW for the next half-century.

Two problems with this thought pattern.

1. This promotion sucks and does nothing to entice new people to Disney.

2. AP and DVC people account for more and more of Disney's bottom line. We are the ones who kept Disney Parks churning during the Great Recession. Keep treating us poorly and you will see how their non-engagement policy with these groups goes for them. AP and DVC people are not guarantees and they can stop buying and attending and they can sell their contract out from under Disney. DVC has been the driving force behind the theme parks for the past ten years and becomes more and more important. Taking these groups for granted could be the biggest blunder Disney makes EVER! Even as the national economic fortunes turn north, I can see Disney's fortunes turn south because they turned their backs on their two biggest sources of revenue: DVC members and Annual Passholders.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I understand and agree with what you wrote. But how difficult is it for Disney to make AP holders and DVC'ers feel a little appreciated *after* we're shelled out a good chunk of change? The discounts you receive as a DVC member are fairly pathetic, IMHO. Too specialized and/or aimed at a specific niche. Would Disney go out of business if they offered DVC members a discounted dining plan? They give free dining to people who spend far less than a DVC member has.

Ultimately, what's worse for Disney - giving AP/DVC people a deal here and there, or continuing to take them for granted and having DVC people casually mention to those people walking away from a DVC booth that it's not worth it?

Admiral01

Premium Member
This is the first time since 2008 that I haven't been gearing up for a 10 day January trip to WDW. We stayed at Beach Club last year for those 10 days, with both of us holding the Premier Passports (WDW and DL annual passes).

Not this year. We only renewed one passport, reduced down to the regular WDW AP (just so I can get discounts IF we decide to go)...and we don't have any plans to actually head to WDW any time this year. I keep hoping that something will attract the two of us - in our early 30s with no kids and money we want to spend. The 24 hours at MK sounds neat, but that is about it - neat. MK is our least favorite park of the four in Florida (though DL is the better of the two in California). I don't usually spend more than a few hours there on a trip to WDW, so I certainly don't need to make a special trip to WDW on leap day just to be at MK for 24 hours...

News for EPCOT, Downtown Disney, and things like that would be welcome. But, we don't get that...and I probably shouldn't expect to get that any time soon.

disney fan 13

This is the first time since 2008 that I haven't been gearing up for a 10 day January trip to WDW. We stayed at Beach Club last year for those 10 days, with both of us holding the Premier Passports (WDW and DL annual passes).

Not this year. We only renewed one passport, reduced down to the regular WDW AP (just so I can get discounts IF we decide to go)...and we don't have any plans to actually head to WDW any time this year. I keep hoping that something will attract the two of us - in our early 30s with no kids and money we want to spend. The 24 hours at MK sounds neat, but that is about it - neat. MK is our least favorite park of the four in Florida (though DL is the better of the two in California). I don't usually spend more than a few hours there on a trip to WDW, so I certainly don't need to make a special trip to WDW on leap day just to be at MK for 24 hours...

News for EPCOT, Downtown Disney, and things like that would be welcome. But, we don't get that...and I probably shouldn't expect to get that any time soon.
You could try a other Orlando trip

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They first announced the MK/DL open for 24 hours on 29th Feb.
They then announced the buy a 3-day/3-night package get a fourth day/night free.
They also gave the web site.
The contest is also in there somewhere.

The offered package isn't a saving over a discounted room, if the discount happens to be available for the wanted travel dates. But there are lots of dates where discounts aren't offered. That and a lot of people are unaware of discounts that are offered.

AP/DVC folks can take advantage of the 24-hour opening and can enter the contest, so they're not being left out either.

CaptainShortty

As Unexciting as the actual announcement was I'm excited for the leap day thing. I'm hoping to make it down there for that just for the fun of it. Probably wouldn't spend all 24 hrs there but I'd go for a good 18 or so. Might be fun to try and ride every ride on one day.

Atomicmickey

Yeah, well. It's about what I thought. A marketing announcement. That's it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that inherently, just, well. For us here in the fan trenches, yawn. But it's not for us.

We, the few, the proud, the nerdy, we remain . . . hungry.

Happy New Year fellow Disney nerds!

novawildcat18

No, it's not the most exciting announcement but I think it'll be a ton of fun for the people who are going. If it wasn't a weekday, I would absolutely book a midnight flight and make it down to WDW and fly out later the next morning just to experience it. Since its in the middle of a week, I'd miss 2 days of classes and I really can't do that. If I were a local, I would be very happy about this opportunity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom