New Year's Eve Announcement?

Buried20KLeague

Hotels in the parks? Paris? Tokyo?

All will be revealed in a few weeks anyway.

If done in the same quality as the Mira Costa, or each Disneyland hotel at Tokyo and Paris... Them I'm ALL FOR IT. There was nothing like waking up in the morning to look out my window to THIS view:

picture.php

TP2000

Except they do not want you to see what happens after the park is closed. Disney isn't going to allow you to watch maintenance workers in the parks, rehersals, streets being pressure washed. I wouldn't look for anything that will allow you to see "on stage" transform into "backstage" after the park closes.

That sort of stuff happens at all the other parks around the world (except Hong Kong), but particularly in Anaheim and Tokyo, and to a lesser extent in Paris.

And you don't even have to be in an expensive Grand Californian or MiraCosta theme park view room either. Half the rooms in the cheaper Paradise Pier Hotel look right down into the park, like this 10 year old shot...

Paradise Pier Hotel Room View - Circa 2001 to 2008
Club33PPHView.jpg

Heck, you don't even have to rent a room at the Paradise Pier Hotel to get that view. Just step into the hotel's glass elevator and punch the 15th floor button an hour before DCA opens and you get the same view of park maintenance happening before opening. And interesting that the shot of Tokyo DisneySea from the MiraCosta earlier in this thread shows utility trucks "onstage" and barge rehearsals happening in the lagoon, etc. But no one seemed to mind.

Now, at WDW, one could argue that the Animal Kingdom Lodge DVC units have views into a theme park environment, and surely those rooms sometimes see utility trucks and CM's tending to the animals and horticulture there in that "African Veldt" themed environment. So it's already happening at WDW.

But where else could they put a hotel/DVC with direct access and views into an operating theme park at WDW? I would have to say the Magic Kingdom and Epcot is out, without at least major structural changes to each park. But in-park lodging could happen easier at DHS, and quite easy at DAK. It's an interesting thought! I'll look forward to this New Years Eve announcement, which should hit us here on the West Coast around 9PM that night!

Crockett

Banned
The fact that this thread has already gone 10 pages tells me we're giving this announcement waaaaay too much excitement than what it's really going to be worth.

If you always expect the unexpected, then the unexpected soon becomes expected. (a.k.a. Don't hype everything up so much to expectations that cannot be met.)

Rob562

I don't think the announcement will be Sorcerers. I just looked through the latest "December Disney HELLO" email that came today.

Sorcerers was listed as its own little feature in the newsletter:
New dimensions in magic at Magic Kingdom Park
See how some of the newest Magic Kingdom innovations have taken immersive enchantment to the next level. Author/historian Jim Korkis tells us how this new kind of interactive magic has developed and will soon take shape as the upcoming Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom experience.
It then links to the article quoted earlier in this thread.

And then later on, down near the bottom:
Big announcement on [Richard] Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest!
Here's something else to look forward to! Tune in to [Richard] Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest, December 31, 2011, starting at 8 p.m. EST / 7 p.m. CST on ABC and watch for a very exciting Disney Parks announcement for you to enjoy in 2012.

As it specifically says "Disney Parks" and "for you to enjoy in 2012" I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess that they're bringing back the "get in for free on your birthday" promotion. Or they'll take a cue from Universal's Super Bowl promo a couple years ago and give out free tickets to the first 50,000/100,000/whatever-number people who register for the promotion...

-Rob

Next Big Thing

Whoa, wait, they're gonna announce this thing live on D.ick Clark's rockin NYE? This thing better be freakin good if you're gonna announce it to that many people live on TV.

POTC

DHS is going to be reimagined into distinct studio lands starting with Muppet Studios followed by Lucasland and finally a Pixar Place expansion!

That would be awesome:sohappy:

jmuboy

DHS is going to be reimagined into distinct studio lands starting with Muppet Studios followed by Lucasland and finally a Pixar Place expansion!

That would be awesome:sohappy:

A DCA style re-boot over a 5 year period at DHS would be great. Refresh the shows in the Studio Courtyard, add a ride to the Pixar Place empty soundstage, rebrand the Star Tours, Indy area as LucasFilm Studios with a new ride, and finally create a Muppet Ride and refresh the Muppet Studios area (the facades are there, they just need the theme elements added).

Captain Chaos

I don't think the announcement will be Sorcerers. I just looked through the latest "December Disney HELLO" email that came today.

Sorcerers was listed as its own little feature in the newsletter:

It then links to the article quoted earlier in this thread.

And then later on, down near the bottom:

As it specifically says "Disney Parks" and "for you to enjoy in 2012" I'm going to go out on a limb and hazard a guess that they're bringing back the "get in for free on your birthday" promotion. Or they'll take a cue from Universal's Super Bowl promo a couple years ago and give out free tickets to the first 50,000/100,000/whatever-number people who register for the promotion...

-Rob

It is going to be that the park will be open for 24 hours on leap day... Nothing to exciting here...

Universal: We are expanding your Potter experience with another cutting edge attraction.
Fans Reaction: YES!!!!! MORE TO DO IN UNIVERSAL!!!

Disney: We are staying open 24 hours...
Fans Reaction: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
PDB Reaction: See, Disney can do NO WRONG, take that Universal.... Way to go TDO!!!

jumblue

I get the feeling it'll be a quick infomercial about all the things they're doing this year, probably with dates set for "sorcerers" and dumbo-land...

If they're doing this during Rockin' New Year's Eve, it's not going to be anything all that exciting for us hardcore/obsessive fans, as here they're going to be shooting for Joe-Balldropwatcher (plus, we'd have heard about any "big" plans here).

etwtec

If the annoucement is going to be the 24 hour leap year, which it sounds like it will, I wonder if they will offer anything special to encourage guests to be in the park in the middle of the night? haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom