New Year's Eve Announcement?

Mouse Detective

Free park admission to all on leap year? lol

Don't laugh....that actually makes sense. If they simply are going to be open all night on leap year then it's still not going to draw that many people. We're talking about a Wednesday afterall. But make it free and the equation changes greatly and the media publicity to Disney is huge!

71jason

Don't laugh....that actually makes sense. If they simply are going to be open all night on leap year then it's still not going to draw that many people. We're talking about a Wednesday afterall. But make it free and the equation changes greatly and the media publicity to Disney is huge!

The Holy Land Experience does a semi-secret free admission day every year. (They are required to do so for tax purposes--they make no formal announcement, but it leaks out the day before in the Sentinel and on the local TV news). The result is usually hours of gridlock on I-4. I had a friend who worked in Millenia--his company put out an emergency e-mail telling employees to be at work 2 hours early, or expect to get docked for being late.

If a minor park (that frankly a lot of people laugh at or seem offended by) can cause that much havoc with virtually no publicity...I can't even imagine the cluster#^@& that a free day at MK with 2 months of PR build-up would be.

As an aside, don't underestimate the appeal of doing something different/unique to the fanbois--spectacle sells in America. I'm pretty much resigned to taking the 29th off to go midnight to midnight, I imagine I have friends that will be doing the same. There will be plenty of us crazies lined up outside Space Mountain at 3:00 a.m. for the newsreel footage.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Holy Land Experience does a semi-secret free admission day every year. (They are required to do so for tax purposes--they make no formal announcement, but it leaks out the day before in the Sentinel and on the local TV news). The result is usually hours of gridlock on I-4. I had a friend who worked in Millenia--his company put out an emergency e-mail telling employees to be at work 2 hours early, or expect to get docked for being late.

If a minor park (that frankly a lot of people laugh at or seem offended by) can cause that much havoc with virtually no publicity...I can't even imagine the cluster#^@& that a free day at MK with 2 months of PR build-up would be.

As an aside, don't underestimate the appeal of doing something different/unique to the fanbois--spectacle sells in America. I'm pretty much resigned to taking the 29th off to go midnight to midnight, I imagine I have friends that will be doing the same. There will be plenty of us crazies lined up outside Space Mountain at 3:00 a.m. for the newsreel footage.
Quite correct. Look at what happens when a place like Denny's does free breakfast, all hell breaks loose. If WDW were to do free admission with 2 months advance notice it would take half the cops in the state just to manage the traffic. The other half would need to be there to handle the riot when MK hit phase 4 at 10 AM.

trr1

Quite correct. Look at what happens when a place like Denny's does free breakfast, all hell breaks loose. If WDW were to do free admission with 2 months advance notice it would take half the cops in the state just to manage the traffic. The other half would need to be there to handle the riot when MK hit phase 4 at 10 AM.

maybe it would be free admission to only those staying on property?

71jason

If WDW were to do free admission with 2 months advance notice it would take half the cops in the state just to manage the traffic. The other half would need to be there to handle the riot when MK hit phase 4 at 10 AM.

Total agreement, except that it would more likely be around 1:45 a.m. (assuming a midnight opening). :lol:

Even then, gotta be over double MK capacity assuming like 2.5 persons per room and near full capacity. Leaving the other 3 parks ghost towns, and guest services to deal with tens of thousands of angry guests.

I really think everyone is underestimating the appeal of a stunt like spending 24 hours in MK. Never been done before, probably will never be done again. As long as there's a crowd at opening for the camera crews--and there will be--it does the job from a PR perspective. It gets attention.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would say that on any given day nearly 99% of resort guests already have tickets that cover their length of stay. At best, the only resort guests that would not already have tickets would be those there for a convention. Disney would be lambasted in the press for a promotion that was largely useless.

trr1

I would say that on any given day nearly 99% of resort guests already have tickets that cover their length of stay. At best, the only resort guests that would not already have tickets would be those there for a convention. Disney would be lambasted in the press for a promotion that was largely useless.

ok maybe another give a day get a day

PeterAlt

I remember when Eisner was emporer of the Disney Empire, a reporter asked him if there would ever be a fifth gated theme park. His response was was so bizarre that I remembered it clearly to today. He said that WDI had designed a fifth gate per his instructions to do so. He said this fifth gate has the potential to be the best park in all of WDW. He said that he's seen the plan and was very impressed with it. Further, he said he can't reveal its theme and that the project would sit on the shelf for many years before the company is ready to unveil it. He said the company's first priority is to expand and rennovate the existing parks. Once this is complete and if the economy is right, the fifth gate project would be green lit for the advanced planning stages. He also said in that interview that WDW's master plan calls for the eventual construction of six gated theme parks and monorails and people movers connecting the six major parks, the minor parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney.

Who knows, but maybe it could be the fifth gate Eisner was talking about. Every ten years Disney has opened a new major gated attraction at WDW:

1971 - Magic Kingdom
1982 - EPCOT Center
1989 - Disney Hollywood Studios
1998 - Animal Kingdom
2012 - Fifth Gate?
202? - Sixth Gate?

I have no idea what the theme of this fifth major gate mentioned by Eisner is. I forgot to mention that Eisner said in that interview that "only" he "knows" the theme of this planned theme park. I found that statement very odd. He probably meant only he, WDI, and upper management know its theme.

Any way, I think a good theme would be ancient civilizations and co-brand it with the History Channel. Its lands would be ancient Rome, Greece, Egypt, Persia, and maybe the legendary Atlantis. I think such a theme would fit great as a major new gate within WDW. What do you think?

MarkTwain

My bet's on the next marketing campaign. I've been hearing rumors that the next campaign is going to be a return to the extremely successful "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day" volunteering campaign, and the post from Disney above is titled "One More Disney Day."

tumblr_lw2ujyPpUF1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Hmmm...

djkidkaz

Here is a page dedicated to the announcement.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/one-more-disney-day/

LOL, if that little video on top doesn't tell you the parks are opening for 24 hours on Feb 29th, nothing will. :ROFLOL:

I hate when Disney does stuff like this that does nothing for you unless you are a local or just happen to be in Disney on vacation at that time.

This is why I cancelled my D23 membership. Other than the magazines, which I liked, it offered nothing else. Plus it was some of the worst service I ever received from any company.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
LOL, if that little video on top doesn't tell you the parks are opening for 24 hours on Feb 29th, nothing will. :ROFLOL:

I hate when Disney does stuff like this that does nothing for you unless you are a local or just happen to be in Disney on vacation at that time.

This is why I cancelled my D23 membership. Other than the magazines, which I liked, it offered nothing else. Plus it was some of the worst service I ever received from any company.

Does anyone actually want to be in the parks for 24 hours? I really don't get it. Most guests are wiped out after 12 hours in the parks, nevermind 24.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom