New Year's Eve Announcement?

Lee

Adventurer
It's got to be an announcment about FLE. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Could be.
They may make an official statement about what all will open in February.
:shrug:

Atomicmickey said:
DVC connected directly to the parks like the Grand Californian in DCA?
Can't go into any detail about that stuff, but it wouldn't be related to NYE.:zipit:

71jason

It's got to be an announcment about FLE. It's the only thing that makes sense.

By why New Year's Eve? To choose that date, implies (in order of descending liklihood):

(1) A new year-long theme/promotion for 2012

(2) Some special promotion tied into Leap Day

(3) [real long shot, but it's out there] A return of nightly NYE celebrations (and thus nightlife) at DTD/PI.

wdwfan22

I really can't see this being anything major or anything that is going to WOW you. My guess will be that Dumbo will open in February along with the train station and kiddie coaster. I also look for the memories campaign to be extended another year. I don't look for anything else beyond that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I really can't see this being anything major or anything that is going to WOW you. My guess will be that Dumbo will open in February along with the train station and kiddie coaster. I also look for the memories campaign to be extended another year. I don't look for anything else beyond that.
Wise man.

Atomicmickey

Isn't it also the case that they have promoted "special announcements" before, only to have them turn out to be new marketing slogans and such?

I mean, this could really, really be nothing.

Or it could be something that we, in the small fan community, have known about for a long time, like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. Just because they've talked about it on their blog, that's not the same as a general public
press release.

I'm not expecting much and will be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be something.

DougK

You jest, but...
If you only knew...:lookaroun

Obviously Lee is telling us something here that has nothing to do with the New Year's Eve announcement. Frankly I have always wondered why Disney has not built hotels, DVC or otherwise, inside of their theme parks. The closest I have seen is at the Grand Californian where you can have DCA right outside your room. We stayed there a few weeks ago and had the new Goofy's Flying School coaster (or whatever it is called) right in front of us, it was really cool and different.

Imagine having a "World Showcase View" right from your balcony!

menamechris

Original Poster
Obviously Lee is telling us something here that has nothing to do with the New Year's Eve announcement. Frankly I have always wondered why Disney has not built hotels, DVC or otherwise, inside of their theme parks. The closest I have seen is at the Grand Californian where you can have DCA right outside your room. We stayed there a few months ago and had the new Goofy's Flying School coaster (or whatever it is called) right in front of us, it was really cool and different.

Except they do not want you to see what happens after the park is closed. Disney isn't going to allow you to watch maintenance workers in the parks, rehersals, streets being pressure washed. I wouldn't look for anything that will allow you to see "on stage" transform into "backstage" after the park closes.

disney9752

The Year of More Magic????

Who comes up with this crap?! :hurl:

The same idiots that came up with the "disney parks" crap, years of a million dreams, & how to turn wdw into a run down budget cutting resort charging premium prices for clearance rack experiences:wave:

DougK

Except they do not want you to see what happens after the park is closed. Disney isn't going to allow you to watch maintenance workers in the parks, rehersals, streets being pressure washed. I wouldn't look for anything that will allow you to see "on stage" transform into "backstage" after the park closes.

Actually we could see some of that in California Adventure from our room/balcony in the Grand Californian. We could even see them testing a new part of World Of Color. The park lights (many of which were on for maintenance workers even though the park had closed) would dim and then the new World Of Color intro would begin. It ran about 2 minutes and seemed to be a new Holiday themed intro. We were there in early November right before the holidays so this made sense. Then the park lights would come back on and you could see people cleaning and pressure washing, etc. This intro testing happened randomly at least 10 times during the 4 nights we were there.

We could only see the Paradise Pier area. I imagine people staying at the Paradise Pier hotel (on the park-facing side at least) could see the same thing although they were actually a bit farther away.

Now of course we were not actually IN the park just right next to it. Believe me it actually got boring to watch after a few minutes (not the World Of Color testing, just the cleaning) so we eventually went to sleep.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Anyone notice Lee seems to know what the announcement is, that he is currently listed at being at 5189 Hill St. and listing himself as "adventurer"?

Could those descriptions be another "clue"?

71jason

Anyone notice Lee seems to know what the announcement is, that he is currently listed at being at 5189 Hill St. and listing himself as "adventurer"?

Could those descriptions be another "clue"?

Not to speak for him, but I'm fairly sure those entries have been in place since October 2008.

Thurp

We could only see the Paradise Pier area. I imagine people staying at the Paradise Pier hotel (on the park-facing side at least) could see the same thing although they were actually a bit farther away.

I once stayed high up at the Paradise Pier hotel in a room facing DCA. I had a great view of the entire park. It was fun seeing the maintenance happening at night and all the last minute preparations before the park opened. I clearly remember seeing people starting to walk into the park in the morning as vans were driving away on-stage at the other end of the park.

bearboysnc

This just in from the paasholder newsletter...

"Perhaps there is no art more fascinating than magic. Magic is an all-important part of our business," Walt Disney once told his television audience. "After all, where would fantasy be without magic?"

Of course, few places are more magical than Magic Kingdom® Park . Following Walt's tradition of immersing all of us into the fairy tales and adventures we've read and dreamed about, the Park is all about taking you into amazing places and bringing you face-to-face with fantastic characters. Many of them are magic-makers themselves, like Cinderella's Fairy Godmother, Aladdin's Genie and Magician Mickey Mouse.

More and more often, with every new attraction, show and parade—as well as enhancements to classic ones—you're becoming a "hands-on" participant in new, innovative ways. And soon, you'll be able to help Merlin defeat some of the most dastardly Disney villains in the new Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom experience.

Magic and Disney go back a long way

Even Walt was an amateur magician. "As a young boy, he would send away for simple, self-working magic tricks from advertisements to amuse his friends and family," said Disney historian Jim Korkis, author of The Vault of Walt. "His mother, Flora, was always delighted when Walt could fool his father, Elias, who was a very serious man, with one of these ingenious devices.

"As Walt said on his Disneyland TV show, 'There's a little bit of magic in all of us.' That includes Mickey Mouse, whom many consider to be Walt's alter-ego. In addition to one of his most famous roles as the Sorcerer's Apprentice in the 1940 animated feature, Fantasia, Mickey dumbfounded a heckling Donald Duck in the 1937 short cartoon, Magician Mickey. Today, you can meet Magician Mickey every day at his spiffy new 'backstage' location in the Town Square Theater on Main Street, U.S.A.

"So, more than many people might realize, the words 'magic' and 'Disney' have always seemed synonymous over the years. Certainly, there is a magic in the very essence of animation: an artist takes a pencil, sketches a drawing and then makes it move with what has been called the 'illusion of life.'"

Hands-on magic

All kinds of magical details have always been found in the nooks and crannies of Magic Kingdom Park. When a child visits the fountain behind Cinderella Castle, for example, it can appear as if he or she is wearing the crown appearing on the fountain wall. And Guests are now having a ball with all the new hands-on gags and gadgets that have been added to the queue area—and thus to the mysterious story—of Haunted Mansion in Liberty Square.

In the upcoming Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom experience, Merlin will recruit you to become an "apprentice sorcerer" to help with maps and clues that show where and how to defeat an army of Disney villains. You never know what kind of amazing things you'll be able to make happen before your eyes throughout Magic Kingdom Park!

Voicing the magic

Jeff Bennett has one of the most magical jobs in Hollywood—and one of the most magical roles you'll hear at Walt Disney World Resort. "I do Merlin's voice," he told us, describing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom experience as "A treasure hunt kind of thing, that involves Disney Characters and villains. As an actor, when I approach a beloved character like Merlin [who appeared in Walt Disney Pictures' animated feature, The Sword in the Stone], I think a lot of it has to do with focusing on the story to get the right perspective. A lot of times, I'll be in a session and say, 'Wait....what is it that is actually going on here?'"

No stranger to Disney icons, Jeff's also the voice of Mr. Smee on the Disney Junior original series, Jake and the Never Land Pirates, as well as Tramp, Mr. Toad, Prince Eric and other Disney Characters for various projects. He's particularly excited about his latest challenge.

"More than anything, though, it's to be part of something like this. Knowing you're part of classic storytelling and that lots of people will enjoy it. It's the 'ultimate cool'."

When does this new magic begin?

The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom experience is scheduled to debut in early 2012. It's just part of many new transformations on their way to Magic Kingdom Park in the coming months.

For Jim Korkis, the magic begins every time he visits any of the Disney Parks. "I cannot tell you how many times I've visited the Parks with seemingly 'grown-up' adults who change into 10-year-old children the moment they step through the gates. And every time that happens, it's just one of those things that prove again that there's nothing like Disney magic."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Obviously Lee is telling us something here that has nothing to do with the New Year's Eve announcement. Frankly I have always wondered why Disney has not built hotels, DVC or otherwise, inside of their theme parks. The closest I have seen is at the Grand Californian where you can have DCA right outside your room. We stayed there a few weeks ago and had the new Goofy's Flying School coaster (or whatever it is called) right in front of us, it was really cool and different.

Hotels in the parks? Paris? Tokyo?

All will be revealed in a few weeks anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom