• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

HauntedMansionFLA

Wow. So if I understand this right, the Main Street Theater is being cancelled and its budget directed elsewhere, possibly to Adventureland, and what is being considered for that land is possibly a clone of...something.

Could the clone have anything to do with Pirates?
Two pirates rides next to each other? Could be pretty cool. Love the current ride at a WDW and the new one looks great too.

Magenta Panther

Advertisement
Two pirates rides next to each other? Could be pretty cool. Love the current ride at a WDW and the new one looks great too.
I wasn't thinking a ride so much as perhaps a live show...or maybe a dinner theater. Imagine a restaurant that looks like The Black Pearl, and imagine it staffed with wenches and cabin boys as waiters, and a live show featuring pirates. That would rock!

disnyfan89

Personally id rather they take the tech from the pirates ride and create a new experience with it. I think someone already mentioned this idea but a Moana ride with that tech could be amazing and has a lot that they could draw from with Moana leaving the reef, a journey through the valley of monsters and a battle with Taka.

Disney Analyst

To be considered anything Broadway the show has to be in New York, New York, and is only considered "On Broadway" while being performed in New York city, and have 499 seats or more. Anything touring the nation or internationally is considered a national tour or World tour, and not considered on Broadway.
Broadway across America would disagree... the broadway national tour of Wicked which is basically an exact replica would disagree...

Fantasmicguy

Personally id rather they take the tech from the pirates ride and create a new experience with it. I think someone already mentioned this idea but a Moana ride with that tech could be amazing and has a lot that they could draw from with Moana leaving the reef, a journey through the valley of monsters and a battle with Taka.
An Indiana Jones ride with Shanghai Pirates tech was something I was thinking about that could be epic.

phi2134

How much did world of color cost and would this be an acceptable exchange instead of the main Street theatre? Backdrop of Tom sawyers island instead of pixar pier...and permanently docking the boats?

disnyfan89

How much did world of color cost and would this be an acceptable exchange instead of the main Street theatre? Backdrop of Tom sawyers island instead of pixar pier...and permanently docking the boats?
Unless you planned to remove TS Island with the boats there isn't enough room for it to fit in the rivers of america

Kman101

With nothing to base this on, it does feel like we'll either get the Moana show or the Pirates show in place of the Main Street Theater. I guess the only bright side to a theater, especially if it's Moana, is that it can be demoed for something better in the future. But I don't know if I like them limiting the theaters to specific areas like Adventureland. I guess even Main Street could have been slightly restrictive but not nearly as much. Look at the theaters in Disneyland Paris.

(Again, this is just baseless speculation on my part)

Captain Barbossa

I wasn't thinking a ride so much as perhaps a live show...or maybe a dinner theater. Imagine a restaurant that looks like The Black Pearl, and imagine it staffed with wenches and cabin boys as waiters, and a live show featuring pirates. That would rock!
A Black Pearl restaurant would be lit. I would love to have some sort of Pirates attraction that focuses on nothing but the movies, whether it be a ride or a show. I just don't think that putting another Pirates ride that close to POTC is a good idea. Now a show is different. I would be satisfied if there was a Pirates stunt show (like Indy) that could replace Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial. Another restaurant idea could be something similar to Barbossa's Bounty, kind of like what they have in Shanghai.

larryz

Disneyphilus Smirkatious
Premium Member
A Black Pearl restaurant would be lit. I would love to have some sort of Pirates attraction that focuses on nothing but the movies, whether it be a ride or a show. I just don't think that putting another Pirates ride that close to POTC is a good idea. Now a show is different. I would be satisfied if there was a Pirates stunt show (like Indy) that could replace Jack Sparrow's Pirate Tutorial. Another restaurant idea could be something similar to Barbossa's Bounty, kind of like what they have in Shanghai.
Isn't there already a Pirate Adventure Dinner Theater in Orlando...?

disnyfan89

One of the bloggers posted helicopter pics of the roof being repaired
Well that's good news then! I used to work with some of the performers from the show and they didn't sound too hopeful after the Hurricane but hopefully this means things have changed!

WildcatDen

I agree and that is why DIsney is foolish if they don’t update B&B and Mermaid at DHS. Both have overstayed their welcome by 15 years and would be an easy draw for guests looking to do something “new”. Then they demo the animation building and build 1-2 rides over there...
I had originally heard that both of those shows would be replaced prior to 2020, in fact, I believe the original thing I head had one being replaced this year. Not sure what has happened on that front as they both seemed like slam dunks to help during the SWL, TSL, and GMR work? Maybe they still draw enough that some thought replacements were not needed? I do understand the Live Orchestra shows were pretty good?

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
I had originally heard that both of those shows would be replaced prior to 2020, in fact, I believe the original thing I head had one being replaced this year. Not sure what has happened on that front as they both seemed like slam dunks to help during the SWL, TSL, and GMR work? Maybe they still draw enough that some thought replacements were not needed? I do understand the Live Orchestra shows were pretty good?
Both should have gone already. But we know how they like to change plans.

Top Bottom